PDA

View Full Version : Willie's No Fool!!

Navy86
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Or at least his agent isn't. And not that it will work, but Willie Parker is definitely getting his name out there in the city of Pittsburgh and the timing is pretty interesting. I would do the same thing. Mendenhall uses poor judgment to the point that some feel he should sent packing and Fast Willie starts a promotion campaign to get back onto the Steelers. Now I surely do not advocate cutting/trading Mendenhall over his Tweets, but I gotta say, I would love to see Parker back on the team, especially if he's been training hard and still has his speed. Let's face it, he got very few reps in college and only really had three hard seasons in Pittsburgh AND is still only 30 years old. While Mendenhall fumbled away our chance at taking the lead in SB XLV, Willie all but ensured our victory with his 75 yard scamper in SB XL. I'm just sayin...

Sixburgher
05-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Parker's NFL career is over. Period. And as far as fumbling goes, Bettis almost fumbled away our chances of playing in Super Bowl 40 against the Colts. If it weren't for a Herculean effort by Ben to make a tackle, he would have too. Matthews' helmet hit the ball right in the perfect spot (which is exactly what happened to Bettis against the Colts), and was pretty much dumb luck, and horrible luck for the Steelers. Mendenhall's comments were stupid in my opinion, but I'm not holding that fumble, which was more of a fluke play than anything, against him.

SteeleReign
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Willie's ship has sailed. I wish him luck, but not in Pittsburgh.

thumper
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
If the Skins didn't even think he was worth having on the roster,
considering how bad they sucked, then I am guess he doesn't
have much to offer. He kind of sucked his last year or two anyhow.

bubbletownwr88
05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
i definitely wouldn't mind seeing willie in a steelers uniform again but not because of mendenhall. Mendenhall is a beast i don't understand what everyone has against him he had a fumble in the super bowl that two guys came in unblocked put the helmet right on the ball i wanna see you guys hold onto it

Navy86
05-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I guess I'm just a sentimental old fool. I like Mendenhall as well, of course, and don't hold his right to free speech against him, and the fumble was a fluke play, but I do miss seeing Parker. I really liked him.

I disagree on your point that he is done. I think he has the capability to still be a productive player in this league and isn't too old yet. He may have 3-4 good years left in him, if given a chance and if he truly is working out hard.

Rick5895
05-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I thought FWP was great with the Steelers, but after he broke his leg he seemed to have lost a step. Mendenhall is a beast and will be productive for us for at least the next or 3 years, however, he seems to lack maturity, hopefully he pulls his head out of his ass and grows up and realizes that what he says is made into a big deal.

ebsteelers
05-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I guess I'm just a sentimental old fool. I like Mendenhall as well, of course, and don't hold his right to free speech against him, and the fumble was a fluke play, but I do miss seeing Parker. I really liked him.

I disagree on your point that he is done. I think he has the capability to still be a productive player in this league and isn't too old yet. He may have 3-4 good years left in him, if given a chance and if he truly is working out hard.

what are you basing it off that he would have 3-4 more good years, when he couldnt last in washington?

i wish willie the best,

and how is he getting his name out in pittsburgh? article? link?
just cause some fans want him back?

Navy86
05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
what are you basing it off that he would have 3-4 more good years, when he couldnt last in washington?

i wish willie the best,

and how is he getting his name out in pittsburgh? article? link?
just cause some fans want him back?

As stated in this interview,

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/05/04/willie-parker-discusses-difference-between-steelers-redskins/

he had a groin injury that he was dealing with which led to him being dropped from the team due to his poor performance during training camp. Now, that is what HE said, I'm not saying it's the truth. As far as still having gas in the tank, I'm basing my assessment on the fact that he does not have a lot of "wear on the tires". He only had a few full seasons of work as a pro, and did not have any full seasons as a colegiate. Again, this is my opinion based on his age and those facts, but he may very well be "done" physically and unable to perform, but my guess is that he still can produce for somebody.

ebsteelers
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
i like mendy, redman, dwyer, and batch gonna be good ( dont we always seem to do well with late round rbs)

like fast will parker, can he play some db?

SacknificentStew56
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm sure if we did bring him back, he would do way better than Randle El has done for us. I'm still wondering why we brought him back.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
05-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm sure if we did bring him back, he would do way better than Randle El has done for us. I'm still wondering why we brought him back.

i just seen him do some gaget plays and punt returns thats all i seen him do but i like the steelers using trick plays :tt02:

thumper
05-06-2011, 03:04 PM

El was good enough to earn an NFL roster, and not with us last year,
he would have ended up some where. I _do_ remember at least one
pretty big reception he had, that made me say, "Wow, that was a pretty
big play from El."

Willie wasn't good enough to make _any_ team's roster. Why would he
be of value now? It's not like he was hurt and now he is better. WP
has always been a one-trick pony: pure speed. As soon as he losses
just a little of that (and he did) he has no value, since his game was
100% speed and speed only. No vision, no instincts, not hard to bring
down if you got a body on him.

ebsteelers
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM
randle el played well in spots,

2 catches 50 yards in tthe super bowl... im drawing a brain fart, on his 37 yard catch, when was it?

bubbletownwr88
05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Randle El also was part of that 2 point conversion option play we ran at the end

55BaileyFan
05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Willie could easily take Moore's spot and it would be an upgrade. I don't think Willie has much left in him. As for the Mendenhall fumble in the Super Bowl, it was dumb luck and his fault (not covering the ball better) but that didn't lose the game for us because there was still a lot of time left for either side to score or screw up. We lost, thats it.

theplatypus
05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Randle El also was part of that 2 point conversion option play we ran at the end

That was an awesome call!

Wallabeast17
05-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I would rather have El then Parker. Even though i loved having him here and his final year on his contract i was hoping he play well to get an extension but he didn't. I appreciate all he did for us and I wish him luck with whatever team may sign him even though i doubt any will. :hatsoff:

LVSteelersfan
05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I was glad to see Willie gone. He was useless his last year. He can't catch. He can't find a hole. He is totally useless with the OL we put in front of him. He will not be back.

vasteeler
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
willie got cut from washington whom had 0 running backs........enough for me, no thanks

pancake
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
If he wants to come in for the min and compete for a roster spot, I have no problem with that...

StainlessStill
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
willie got cut from washington whom had 0 running backs........enough for me, no thanks

Willie was injured which led to him being cut. It was a blessing in disguise for Willie anyway, the dude despised Washington. WP has a very nice following on his twitter behind his corner and has done several interviews in the 'Burgh. Camp competition and veteran leadership, esp at the running back position is needed. I don't see why not....

truesteelerfan
05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Sign him to a veteran minimum contract...Use to return kickoffs and as a back up RB