PDA

View Full Version : The Burgh Tri-fecta

55BaileyFan
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I know this is the Steelers boards but how about the Pirates?

They reached .500 for the first time this late in the year since 2005. Does the Steeler fans have any hope to see the Steelers, Penguins and the Pirates back to their old glory?

I know its early, but I think that Hurdle has changed the mind mentality over there. Hell, they have already won more series on the road this year than they did all of last year. I don't think they will make a playoff run but I think they might snap the longest losing streak in all of sports.

StainlessStill
05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
34 games have been played out of 162. 17-17 is very cool if you're around these parts when it comes to the Pirates and the Major Leagues.

The last time they were .500 is when they were 30-30 some years back and tanked pretty damn hard after that. The Pirates start off this way yearly.

They'll start off hot, subside a bit into decency, hover around a certain number for awhile and by the time July rolls around, the team will be in shambles. We just don't have the fire-power behind our organization to last an entire season with longevity. Hope they prove me wrong in my lifetime....

PhantomJB93
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
They may not keep it up this year, but the losing streak WILL end within the next 2 or 3 seasons. They finally have the talent, if not always the execution, to be a legitimate baseball team, and they all bring a winning attitude every night and never look like a bunch of defeated 35 year olds at the end of their careers, as the pre-08 Buccos were. I still don't like Nutting as an owner but Neil Huntington has been slowly but surely turning the franchise around over the last two years and Hurdle is the perfect manager for this group. Basically ever since the 2008 draft they've done everything right, even all the trades that casual fans complained to no end about.

I see a legitimate playoff contender around the 2013 season. All the current young guns will have some experience and guys like Taillon, Sanchez, and Cole/Rendon should all be up by midway through that season. In 2013, if we have a rotation wiht Taillon, Morton, Lincoln/Owens, Mcdonald,and maybe Correia if he's still here, and Tony Sanchez has assumed his role as catcher, this team will be seriously dangerous.

Winning baseball is coming back to Pittsburgh (forealz this time)

Neil-Still-Rules-14
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Let them concentrate on having a winning season for the first time since 1992 first.