PDA

View Full Version : Faneca retires. Will he make the HOF?

steelerchad
05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I didn't like the way he left Pittsburgh, but in his retirement letter he was gracious to the organization. He had a great career making 9 pro bowls in 13 seasons and he was very durable for an Offensive Lineman. An offensive guard may be the toughest position to get the recognition required to make the hall, but I think he has a decent shot.

Once again the Steelers made the right call on when to let an aging vet walk. He played 1 season with the Jets and 1 more with the Cardinals, but wouldn't have lived up to the big payday he wanted in Pittsburgh.

SteelersJMB
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Too many players that will be ahead of him

Neil-Still-Rules-14
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I would think he would get in someday. 9 time pro bowler. Super Bowl Champ. Didn't miss many starts. That's all you really need as an o-linemen.

davidtrout
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
He deserves a spot in Canton but interior linemen get no love from HOF voters. Spectacular career and among the Steelers best 1st rd draft picks. Will always be one of ours.

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Dawson has been retired for over a decade and still is waiting to get in - hard to see Faneca not having to wait for a long time as well given the lack of love for interior linemen

This note from the story by Ed.B. of the P-G on Faneca's retirement was interesting

Faneca leaves the game at age 34 and in good health. He said he purposely began to lose weight after last season and has dropped from 315 pounds to 255.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11131/1145569-66-0.stm

Dropping 60 pounds in 4 months? Maybe he just cut out the protein shakes and cut back on the weight training but certainly makes me wonder what these linemen are ingesting to tip the scales so far north of 300 pounds

DanRooney
05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
He makes it in and easily. Faneca had a lot more notoriety than Dawson. It's not often that a 9x pro bowl/all-pro guard with a Super Bowl ring does not make the HOF.

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
He makes it in and easily. Faneca had a lot more notoriety than Dawson. It's not often that a 9x pro bowl/all-pro guard with a Super Bowl ring does not make the HOF.

Dawson and Faneca actually might hurt each other's chances by splitting support for a Steelers OL

I agree having the ring helps but Dawson played in the same number of AFC championship games as Faneca (3) and Super Bowls (1)

thumper
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
He won't make it; him being an angry red ass won't help.

harts
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
nah he shouldnt

maybe on the senior circuit

Baseball has the best HOF selection process it is the most selective
Football HOF could be a little more selective
Basketball HOF lets way too many people in

55BaileyFan
05-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Faneca is one of the best lineman of his time and there is no doubt he will get in. He will wait a few years but it will happen for him. People are so huffy with him, why? He was an amazing Steeler and an amazing lineman.

stb_steeler
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Dawson has been retired for over a decade and still is waiting to get in - hard to see Faneca not having to wait for a long time as well given the lack of love for interior linemen

This note from the story by Ed.B. of the P-G on Faneca's retirement was interesting

Faneca leaves the game at age 34 and in good health. He said he purposely began to lose weight after last season and has dropped from 315 pounds to 255.

Dropping 60 pounds in 4 months? Maybe he just cut out the protein shakes and cut back on the weight training but certainly makes me wonder what these linemen are ingesting to tip the scales so far north of 300 pounds

Maybe he's sick, loosing all that weight and not to mention retiring....

Neil-Still-Rules-14
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I just remembered he is the starting guard on all 2000s team as well.

austinfrench76
05-11-2011, 05:46 PM
He will get in. It will take some time but he will and should.

MattsMe
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

I remember thinking the same thing about Jeff Hartings. I saw an interview with him shortly after he retired and was shocked at his rapid weight loss. He said not having to keep his weight up was the best thing about being retired.

steelerchad
05-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I remember thinking the same thing about Jeff Hartings. I saw an interview with him shortly after he retired and was shocked at his rapid weight loss. He said not having to keep his weight up was the best thing about being retired.

Anyone seen Nate Newton lately? Saw him on TV a few months ago and would have never known it was him just by the picture. Dude is like 170 lbs. Amazingly small for someone who was a 300+ lb NFL lineman.

55BaileyFan
05-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Lineman have a history of weight problems. It comes from the rapid growth and weight loss. Most of them go on to balloon (The Fridge) or diminish (Hartings) after retirement. They no longer need to keep that weight and can get to a healthier one.

MattsMe
05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Anyone seen Nate Newton lately? Saw him on TV a few months ago and would have never known it was him just by the picture. Dude is like 170 lbs. Amazingly small for someone who was a 300+ lb NFL lineman.

Newton had weight loss surgery, pretty amazing results.

Bubbabanjo
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
HOF???? House of Frankfurters????

Great Blue Balled Jeebus....why would he get in? He wasnt even a Steeler for his career. I would vote against that tool for that alone. Traitorous letch!!!

HOF....................Out-enzee!!!

MattsMe
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
HOF???? House of Frankfurters????

Great Blue Balled Jeebus....why would he get in? He wasnt even a Steeler for his career. I would vote against that tool for that alone. Traitorous letch!!!

HOF....................Out-enzee!!!

So by your logic Mike Webster doesn't belong in the Hall either.

Brilliant.

Bubbabanjo
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
So by your logic Mike Webster doesn't belong in the Hall either.

Brilliant.

No you arent brilliant at all.....how can you smear a legend like Mike with this tool? Not every player gets in the HOF or whats the point? This guy aint no legend. He aint no Steeler. He gets no support. He's a Ham-n-Egger.

55BaileyFan
05-12-2011, 02:43 PM
No you arent brilliant at all.....how can you smear a legend like Mike with this tool? Not every player gets in the HOF or whats the point? This guy aint no legend. He aint no Steeler. He gets no support. He's a Ham-n-Egger.

Because Mike Webster didn't play his entire career with Pittsburgh. Franco Harris didn't either. So by your logic that he wasn't a Steeler for life so you wouldn't want him in...keeps two other legends out.

I also disagree that he isn't a legend because he is (or pretty damn close). He follows the same mold that Webster and Dawson did, all three of them were the best players at their positions during their time playing. Webster was one of the best if not the best lineman of the 70's, Dawson revolutionized how the center position was played in the 90's and Faneca is the only player in NFL history to play 8 games at two positions in a season and make the pro bowl that year. He was the best pulling guard of the 2000's and was the number 1 ranked guard 9 times and the top rated lineman 7 times.

So, your argument on how bad he is...is based on what?

Bubbabanjo
05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Because Mike Webster didn't play his entire career with Pittsburgh. Franco Harris didn't either. So by your logic that he wasn't a Steeler for life so you wouldn't want him in...keeps two other legends out.

I also disagree that he isn't a legend because he is (or pretty damn close). He follows the same mold that Webster and Dawson did, all three of them were the best players at their positions during their time playing. Webster was one of the best if not the best lineman of the 70's, Dawson revolutionized how the center position was played in the 90's and Faneca is the only player in NFL history to play 8 games at two positions in a season and make the pro bowl that year. He was the best pulling guard of the 2000's and was the number 1 ranked guard 9 times and the top rated lineman 7 times.

So, your argument on how bad he is...is based on what?

He aint no Franco.....are you nutz!!! He aint no Mike Webster......double dose of nutz. He's a part time Steeler....those guys are Steeler legends. This guy is a Jet. Just cause the guy played here for a while before he hosed us.....doesnt make him HOF. He is a douche. Let the Jets lobby for him. He stinks!!! No HOF for this tool.

You guys are Fan Boys for any old Ex that rolls along. This guy doesnt make the cut.

MDSteel15
05-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Who let this tool on the board? :coffee:

Bubbabanjo
05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Who let this tool on the board? :coffee:

Yer momma...after she slobbered she told me what a douche her kid is.

Vote for real Steelers.....not half term hacks from the Jets.

55BaileyFan
05-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Yer momma...after she slobbered she told me what a douche her kid is.

Vote for real Steelers.....not half term hacks from the Jets.

You seriously have no idea what the hell is going on do you? You said that "He wasnt even a Steeler for his career. I would vote against that tool for that alone. Traitorous letch!!!" All we have done is point out that if you used this to determine your voting then neither Mike Webster or Franco Harris would not get in because Webster ended his career with the Chiefs and Franco ended his career with the Seahawks.

It is Steeler fans like you that people dog us. You are basing your entire opinion on Faneca based on the fact that he didn't end his career in the Burgh. And to point our how Faneca stacks up to Iron Mike...they were both 9x Pro Bowlers, they both were 9x All Pros, they both are on the Steelers All Time team, and were both named to All Decade teams for their respected decades.

Yeah, I can see how Faneca doesn't compare to Webster. If you are going to base your opinions on loose ignorant ideas, then maybe you should go like another team that doesn't require semi-knowledgeable fans.

Bubbabanjo
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
You seriously have no idea what the hell is going on do you? You said that "He wasnt even a Steeler for his career. I would vote against that tool for that alone. Traitorous letch!!!" All we have done is point out that if you used this to determine your voting then neither Mike Webster or Franco Harris would not get in because Webster ended his career with the Chiefs and Franco ended his career with the Seahawks.

It is Steeler fans like you that people dog us. You are basing your entire opinion on Faneca based on the fact that he didn't end his career in the Burgh. And to point our how Faneca stacks up to Iron Mike...they were both 9x Pro Bowlers, they both were 9x All Pros, they both are on the Steelers All Time team, and were both named to All Decade teams for their respected decades.

Yeah, I can see how Faneca doesn't compare to Webster. If you are going to base your opinions on loose ignorant ideas, then maybe you should go like another team that doesn't require semi-knowledgeable fans.

Get a green jersey ya Jet fan.....save the HOF for deserving Steelers. This clown can lobby Jersey for his votes.

Its fans like you that water down the HOF. Go agree with each other and be shills for part time Steelers. Ya'll can circle jerk each other with the same idea. I dont agree and think you should vote for real Steelers. This guy aint one.

Semi knowledge yer mommas crotch dummy.

Farrior_roirraW
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
:sign07:

OX1947
05-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I think some have you have lost focus on Alan's actual rare accomplishment. Alan Faneca not only was a 9 time PRO BOWLER, but more importantly a 9 time AP NFL ALL PRO. Being on the ALL Pro is 2 max out of everyone in the league in each position, depending on positions. Some are just one. A 9-time all pro is a first ballet hall of famer. He was also the best guard of his era, played for a legendary organization and was a Super Bowl champ AND actually was one of the few offensive lineman who could have won MVP in a Super Bowl. He was a beast in SB XL.

Alan was everything in a man and football player. The only reason he left was because he wanted to get paid and the Steelers couldn't afford him. That's the way it goes in the NFL, sometimes a team has no choice with a hard salary cap.

No one will remember Jets or Cards. Faneca is a Steeler and will go in the hall as a steeler....

Bubbabanjo
05-12-2011, 08:08 PM
The League of Like Minded Mush Melons.

Yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep...............NO! Stoopid.

HOF should be for All Time greats. Free agent gypsies dont deserve Steeler support. This guy kicked the team in the nads when they needed him most.

Go get yer green Jerseys and vote for this dope. Real Steelers need the support more to get in.

Ya'll stink! Jet fans the bunch of ya. You'll vote for any sell out.

Bubbabanjo
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Now SB champ and Steeler's all time team are big plus marks. Gotta give ya that.

Pro Bowls....ehhhhhhhhhh.....all this and that team...................ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I cant forgive him for leaving when our line was a mess. We needed the guy and he hosed us. FOR THE JETS!!!!

I'm spiteful....yep. HOF is for all time greats and needs support. We still have truly great Steelers that should be voted in before Benedict Faneca.

A pox on the Jets and Steeler traitors. Jets and anyone supportin them SUX SUX SUX. Includin ya'll.

bornaSteelersfan
05-13-2011, 06:30 AM
There's no need to bother arguing with a hillbilly from South Carolina. He's probably a closet Panthers fan. Just look at his avatar, need I say more?

Bubbabanjo
05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
There's no need to bother arguing with a hillbilly from South Carolina. He's probably a closet Panthers fan. Just look at his avatar, need I say more?

No you shouldnt dummy........you look stoopidier. Another Jet fan votin fer a traitor.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
05-13-2011, 01:12 PM
What about Rod Woodson?

Bubbabanjo
05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the Evil one!!! He went to THE RAVENS!!!!!

Man all those great years......I could never choke down a burger in that greasy spoon of his up there. Is that thing still there??? How can anyone eat in that place. He probably spits on Steeler fans food!!! He's a Raven.

Man this is horrible.....I thought Woodson was the best ever....Rod was God...stinkin 3 Rivers ate his knee........but the Ravens!!! He helps them win a SB!!! Agggghhhhhh!!!

Unforgiveable!!! A pox on his legacy........:flap:

thumper
05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Faneca won't make it.

1.) He's an OG. Very few make it.
2.) He didn't play his whole career with Pgh. Yes, I know Franco and Woodson
left too, but they are far more obvious HOF players, period.
3.) He's been a jerk, and the voters DO consider that, even if they don't admit it.

vasteeler
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
psssst, banjo..............hes a cardinal now

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alan+Faneca+Arizona+Cardinals+Training+Camp+0MGG_4 WHbIKl.jpg

Bubbabanjo
05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
psssst, banjo..............hes a cardinal now

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alan+Faneca+Arizona+Cardinals+Training+Camp+0MGG_4 WHbIKl.jpg

Being a Red Chicken aint as bad....of course if that ex-coach Steeler Stealin dufus keeps snaggin our players.....might start to not like it. Least it aint the Ravens.

SteelCityMom
05-13-2011, 03:01 PM
The League of Like Minded Mush Melons.

Yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep...............NO! Stoopid.

HOF should be for All Time greats. Free agent gypsies dont deserve Steeler support. This guy kicked the team in the nads when they needed him most.

Go get yer green Jerseys and vote for this dope. Real Steelers need the support more to get in.

Ya'll stink! Jet fans the bunch of ya. You'll vote for any sell out.

You're a tool and have no business here.

Sorry to everyone that I missed this thread. I've been slacking the past couple days on Steelers news and didn't think there was anything major enough going on to cause this kind of stupidity.

The troll is long gone now. Sorry for the delay.

55BaileyFan
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
This hillbilly has no idea about football. Gypsie free agents? Why the hell does he think we are lobbying for a Jet? We are lobbying for a guy who put his heart and soul into Pittsburgh for 10 years and left because we refused to pay him the money he deserved.

He keeps talking about Steelers we should vote for who deserve it? Name 5 and don't name Jerome or Dermontti because any douche bag can say they deserve in, lets see if you actually know anything about the Steelers.

You have no argument except Faneca played for the Jets too. Mike Webster played for the Chiefs, Franco Harris played for the Seahawks, Levon Kirkland played for the Seahawks and Eagles, Kevin Greene played with the Panthers, Greg Lloyd finished his career with the Panthers.

You have no argument imbred.

55BaileyFan
05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Sorry to everyone that I missed this thread. I've been slacking the past couple days on Steelers news and didn't think there was anything major enough going on to cause this kind of stupidity.

THANK YOU.

MasterOfPuppets
05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
faneca should absolutely be inducted into the hall. anybody who is regarded as " a top player " at his position for a decade should be put in the hall. he'll most likely get snubbed for a few years like dermonti dawson has been, but he'll get in eventually.

thumper
05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
faneca should absolutely be inducted into the hall. anybody who is regarded as " a top player " at his position for a decade should be put in the hall. he'll most likely get snubbed for a few years like dermonti dawson has been, but he'll get in eventually.

OG don't get in very often. And he was a red ass. He may get in
some day but it won't be for a while considering who is still in
the wings that are far more obvious choices than angry red head.

thumper
05-13-2011, 05:08 PM

He was an obvious created character, not a real person. Easily
see through, and, personally, I don't need him kicked off as it is
easy not to read his act if you don't want to. And, sometimes the
created characters are funny. Humor has its place.

SteelCityMom
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
He was an obvious created character, not a real person. Easily
see through, and, personally, I don't need him kicked off as it is
easy not to read his act if you don't want to. And, sometimes the
created characters are funny. Humor has its place.

That's your opinion and that's fine. It's pretty irrelevant whether you need him kicked off or not though lol.

I pretty much don't put up with pot stirrers who just show up to derail threads from real discussion, so he got the boot.

steeltheone
05-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Faneca was good but Dawson was better...

55BaileyFan
05-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Faneca was good but Dawson was better...

I don't think you can compare to two talent wise. The positions are two extremely different monsters all together. I will say that if you compare the two they are extremely similar...Dawson was a 7x Pro Bowler, 6x All-Pro and on the All 1990s team, Faneca was a 9x Pro Bowler, 9x All-Pro, and on the All 2000s team. Dawson was the protection caller when he played and Faneca did it after Dawson retired.

The one huge difference is Dawson revolutionized a position where Fancea was just another great pulling guard. Dawson was amazing and so was Faneca but I don't think you could say one was better than the other because they were the same at their own positions.

PittSteelers2010
05-22-2011, 10:19 PM
One day perhaps. No in the near future though. Too many big names still not in yet. He'll have to wait

thumper
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM
That's your opinion and that's fine. It's pretty irrelevant whether you need him kicked off or not though lol.

I pretty much don't put up with pot stirrers who just show up to derail threads from real discussion, so he got the boot.

I really don't care either way. Sometimes the created persona's make me
laugh, especially when people fall for their obvious baits. I mean, this
guy was pretending that anyone who didn't hate Faneca was a NY fan. Did
he even suggest they would be Jewish? I don't know. Just preposterous. But
whatever. I seriously don't care.

thumper
05-24-2011, 01:40 PM
One day perhaps. No in the near future though. Too many big names still not in yet. He'll have to wait

It might take 15-20 year and maybe not even then. OGs just don't
make it often, and he didn't revolutionize his position or anything,
he just played OG well for a decade. He also doesn't have any
signature moments that I recall. Unless he pulled and opened
the hole for the Parker TD in SB40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcIcKdf2Exs

I can't tell from this clip if AF made a key block on this run, but
he might have.

Steelerfreak58
05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
The Hall of Fame is a sham. Until they let LC Greenwood in it always will be. Take a look at his accomplishments compared to some of the "elite" players of today and there just are not that many that did what he did and they over look him every year.

HoF = bag of shit until they make things right.

thumper
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
The Hall of Fame is a sham. Until they let LC Greenwood in it always will be. Take a look at his accomplishments compared to some of the "elite" players of today and there just are not that many that did what he did and they over look him every year.

HoF = bag of shit until they make things right.

LC is the victim of so many Steelers already making it. Had it
not been for our own wing, he'd be in. Heck, it seems his #s
were better than THE all-time Steeler, Joe Green. Didn't LC
have more sacks? I remember he painted his shoes gold
so the announcers would stop assuming it was Joe making
plays when it was indeed LC. That tells you something.