PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu Recovery On Track/A. Smith Maybe Not

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Sounds like Troy is recovering:thumbsup: but Aaron Smith is having issues:mad: - have to question in hindsight what was going on with keeping Smith on the roster and losing a 4th round LB pick to do it:noidea:

This update from Gerry Dulac with the P-G

As you know, the Steelers never revealed the exact nature of Troy Polamalu’s late-season injury, referring to it simply as a foot injury (I believe was the terminology). Anyway, I have since informed you that his injury was a slight tear of his Achilles tendon, suffered returning that interception for touchdown in a Dec. 12 game against the Bengals.

His rehab appears to be going well.

Polamalu is receiving treatment and doing rehabilitation in Los Angeles under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff. He does not need surgery, which is the good news. The injury is healing on its own -- with the help of therapy, of course -- and he is progressing on schedule.

Polamalu is expected to be recovered in time for training camp, if there is a training camp. But the team will no doubt go easy on him in Latrobe, just as they did during the second half of the regular season when he practiced just one day a week (Friday). But he would not have been able to take part in their off-season training program, if they had them.

Polamalu's performance in the postseason, most notably in the Super Bowl, was diminished because of his injury to his Achilles. It robbed him of his trademark explosiveness. But I'm told there is no reason for them to believe he can’t or won’t be a dominating player again in 2011.

When he is healthy, as he was for the first three-quarters of the 2010 season, the five-time Pro Bowl safety is a game-changing player who was voted the NFL’s defensive player of the year.

Meantime, the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is still a little murky.

He missed the final 13 games of the season because of a torn triceps tendon and the injury is healing. There have been no setbacks. But he is not fully recovered, and it is still unclear at this point if he will be 100 percent recovered in time for training camp.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109856-gerry-polamalu-injury-update

steelerchad
05-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like Troy is recovering:thumbsup: but Aaron Smith is having issues:mad: - have to question in hindsight what was going on with keeping Smith on the roster and losing a 4th round LB pick to do it:noidea:

This update from Gerry Dulac with the P-G

As you know, the Steelers never revealed the exact nature of Troy Polamaluís late-season injury, referring to it simply as a foot injury (I believe was the terminology). Anyway, I have since informed you that his injury was a slight tear of his Achilles tendon, suffered returning that interception for touchdown in a Dec. 12 game against the Bengals.

His rehab appears to be going well.

Polamalu is receiving treatment and doing rehabilitation in Los Angeles under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff. He does not need surgery, which is the good news. The injury is healing on its own -- with the help of therapy, of course -- and he is progressing on schedule.

Polamalu is expected to be recovered in time for training camp, if there is a training camp. But the team will no doubt go easy on him in Latrobe, just as they did during the second half of the regular season when he practiced just one day a week (Friday). But he would not have been able to take part in their off-season training program, if they had them.

Polamalu's performance in the postseason, most notably in the Super Bowl, was diminished because of his injury to his Achilles. It robbed him of his trademark explosiveness. But I'm told there is no reason for them to believe he canít or wonít be a dominating player again in 2011.

When he is healthy, as he was for the first three-quarters of the 2010 season, the five-time Pro Bowl safety is a game-changing player who was voted the NFLís defensive player of the year.

Meantime, the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is still a little murky.

He missed the final 13 games of the season because of a torn triceps tendon and the injury is healing. There have been no setbacks. But he is not fully recovered, and it is still unclear at this point if he will be 100 percent recovered in time for training camp.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109856-gerry-polamalu-injury-update

Smith can't play forever. He's 35 and has had serious injuries in 3 of the last 4 years. He should call it a career. He'd be nice to have as a rotational player on running downs, but Hood showed he's ready to take over. Maybe we can lock Ike up with the salary saved from Smith.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Its time for Smith to go. After Ziggys play last year and now bringing in Heyward. We can use that 4million elsewhere.

This falls into the typically Steeler mold. Once they breakdown they get let go. Smith has hung around 3/4 of a season to long. As it was posted above, we cut a 4th rd LB to keep him on the roster last year, we can't make sacrifices again this year.

steeltheone
05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Its time for Smith to go. After Ziggys play last year and now bringing in Heyward. We can use that 4million elsewhere.

This falls into the typically Steeler mold. Once they breakdown they get let go. Smith has hung around 3/4 of a season to long. As it was posted above, we cut a 4th rd LB to keep him on the roster last year, we can't make sacrifices again this year.

Agreed....We have to play younger guys ....We need to save salary for, Ike, Troy, Woodley....etc......I hope losing Gibson for nothing doesn't bit us in the rear!

steelerchad
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Agreed....We have to play younger guys ....We need to save salary for, Ike, Troy, Woodley....etc......I hope losing Gibson for nothing doesn't bit us in the rear!

I'm still baffled by the decision to keep Smith on the active roster at the expense of Gibson. Unless the coaches saw some things they really didn't like and didn't think could get fixed. How does a first year 4th round choice get axed in week 6 after he was good enough to make the team. 6 weeks later he's no good anymore and hasn't even gotten on the field in those 6 games?

I could have thought of a few others I'd have liked to seen go instead of Gibson. Battle for one.

vasteeler
05-18-2011, 10:55 AM
i wonder how much troy has left?

Atlanta Dan
05-18-2011, 11:11 AM
i wonder how much troy has left?

Troy has made it through only one season (2008) without missing significant time since 2005 - that makes three seasons (he did not play much in 2003) out of eight in which he has been a full time starter

Add to that injury record his history of concussions and I would not be surprised if he walks away after this season when his contract ends - a number of the smaller/quicker 70s Steelers (Ham/Wagner/Swann) were effectively through as top shelf players after no more than nine seasons and Troy may fit that pattern - unlike that era Troy presumably is set for life financially and does not need to continue playing for the paycheck

If Harrison exits with Troy to make room to try and pay both Timmons & Woodley, those changes together with the departures of such players as Smith & Farrior could make 2011 the season that closes the book on this Steelers era

Farrior_roirraW
05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
If Harrison exits with Troy to make room to try and pay both Timmons & Woodley, those changes together with the departures of such players as Smith & Farrior could make 2011 the season that closes the book on this Steelers era

Sad, but true. :sadness: :tt03:

Fire Arians
05-19-2011, 12:31 PM
smith is done. i hate to say it because he's been one of my favorite players, but father time is pulling his card

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
smith is done. i hate to say it because he's been one of my favorite players, but father time is pulling his card

Yeah, unfortunately true.

I can never forget the way Smith showed up ready to play the Sunday after his son was diagnosed with Leukemia. Will be a sad day for us when he leaves.

thumper
05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
All good things comes to an end, and Smith is one of them.
No way is it worth $5 million to gamble on him being able to
stay in one piece. Keeping on the roster last year was retarded.
Everyone knows a torn tri does not heal in months. It takes a
year, if you are lucky. We need to part ways with Aaron. Great
player. Great guy. No longer worth the risk of using that much
cap space on him. Time to move on to "lifes work."

finesward
05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Sad, but true. :sadness: :tt03:

Don't forget hines leaving too. As long as ben is behind center though I don't think we will ever be out of contention. I just hope we find a few players that emerge from the shadows the way hines, harrison, willie parker, and others did. This could be a good discussion, which players currently on the roster or practice squad do you guys believe could be the next "unknown" player to become a star for the steelers?

I thought sly looked like a beast on special teams this year, starting with that strip on the kick return vs. the titans...he could emerge as a darkhorse starter @ the ILB paired with timmons.

On the offensive side I'm hoping dwyer or the new kid batch we got will make the most of an opportunity.

Brown and Sanders look like solid receivers, the way they carry themselves is indicative of hines' influence on them. Either one of them could become a staple steeler in the future.

How about Sweed? I know, I know....wishful thinking. But the guy has all the intangibles physically.

Butler could be a playmaker eventually when his time comes, finding guys like troy will be very difficult as those types of players only come around every so often. I think dick has settled on Timmons as his next rover in his evolving defensive scheme. Matched with the new athleticism in the D-line we could be looking at a shift in defensive philosophy to match the high powered spread offense.

This era of steelers is ending, yes true, but I think a new era could be right around the corner.