PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fans outside of Pittsburgh

jwmann2
05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
How do Steelers fans feel about Steelers fans with no ties to Pittsburgh nor have they ever been to the state of Pennsylvania? I am not one of those people. Living in Cincinnati, you see this a lot. A lot of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans, aka teams with great tradition and championships to boot.
Fans are weak. Sports is the only entity in the world where rooting for a bad product is armirable.

55BaileyFan
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
I have no problem with fans from anywhere. I am from Pittsburgh but live in southern Ohio. The only issue with "out of Burgh" fans is a lot seem to be wagon fans. Most don't know much about the Steelers history and trends.

I go to Steeler events every year and more fans go after successful years. I remember training camps where there are only 500 people but after Super Bowl XL, the Steelers recorded 7000. Another event I go to every year averages 1000 and after Super Bowl XLIII there where 5000 (this year though less than 500 showed up)

As long as people are true fans, they are a great fit for Steeler Nation.

davidtrout
05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I've lived and traveled all over this great country and Steelers nation is always well represented, no matter where I go. Most have some sort of ties to Pittsburgh or the surrounding area, but not all. Doesn't seem to matter. You'll find good loyal fans wherever you go.

The ones that bother me are the sour grapes fans. You know the ones, they hate the FO because they don't chase high priced free agents or they don't draft the way they wish they would. The coach needs to go because we didn't win the SB. The QB sucks because we lost a game. The backups are always better than who's on the field. The team is always falling apart and the future is always bleak.

You'll find those fans anywhere you go, also. Even on this very website. Lol

Need4Sweed
05-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I am one of those guys that have no ties to the city of Pittsburgh. But have been a loyal fan since i was 8 yrs old. Became a fan around 79'-80', before the Colts left Baltimore. And my knowledge of Steelers history is second to non. I always say i was born to be a Steelers fan. My loyalty to the Black n Gold has been questioned by many Ratbird fans. They ask "how can you still be a Steelers fan once we were awarded the Ravens?" A. Why would i leave a team i've supported for 20+ yrs, "your just a bandwagon fan?" A. This wagon chose me, i didn't choose it. And i truly would be a "bandwagon" fan if i supported the Ravens. I stand firm and true to my childhood team in the face of Ravens faithful. I am sure their are many out there in Steeler Nation that have adopted this team as their own.

55BaileyFan
05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
See...fans like this make Steeler Nation the best. LOYALTY.

Shreveport Steeler
05-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I had no other choice but to be a Steelers fan growing up with my dad. Both of us are from Shreveport, LA with no ties to Pittsburgh. Terry Bradshaw is from Shreveport and my dad was a big fan of his while he was at LA Tech, so when he got to the NFL, my dad remained a fan and became hooked on the Steelers in the 70s. We haven't missed a game in years on tv. I've only had the chance to make it to Pittsburgh for a game one time which was in 08 against the Colts. Planning on making a trip this year. Will always bleed black and gold! Can't wait for the season! :tt:

rocckbottomxmen
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Myself nor any of my family have ever had any ties to Pittsburgh. However I am a third generation steelers fan. And I have 3 sons and 3 daughters who are all steelers fans. My grandfather on my dad side has been a steelers fan from the beginning. My Dad and two of his brothers are steelers fans.

I had 3 brothers, one was a cowboys fan, one an eagles fan and the only living of the three is a patriots fan. And the one thats a patriots fan all his sons are a steelers fan. So not having any ties to Pittsburgh does not make me or anyone else a bandwagon fan or less of a fan than any other member of the black and gold

davidtrout
05-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Myself nor any of my family have ever had any ties to Pittsburgh. However I am a third generation steelers fan. And I have 3 sons and 3 daughters who are all steelers fans. My grandfather on my dad side has been a steelers fan from the beginning. My Dad and two of his brothers are steelers fans.

I had 3 brothers, one was a cowboys fan, one an eagles fan and the only living of the three is a patriots fan. And the one thats a patriots fan all his sons are a steelers fan. So not having any ties to Pittsburgh does not make me or anyone else a bandwagon fan or less of a fan than any other member of the black and gold

Awesome!

The Steelers fans in my family span five generations, six if you count the ones that aren't yet old enough go know they're Steelers fans. :-)

My family originates in Morgantown, WV which is only an hour away from the burgh so our story isn't uncommon, considering. Having such a history without any ties like your family has is quite rare I would guess. At any rate, ties to Pittsburgh or not, we are the greatest fans in the world. :tt04::tt04::tt04:

DanRooney
05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Nobody cares

bahama steeler
05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
hi there i live in the bahamas,i have been a steeler fan for 35 years,there are a few steeler fans out here.i watch the steelers as much as i can.hope to see some games this year

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2011, 01:20 AM
32 teams ....23 out of 50 states have teams ...thousands of cities...310 million people

only about 10 % of the population lives in the cities that hosts NFL teams , should the other 90 % not be football fans ? does living in the same state that has a team qualify as " a connection" to the team ?
i live about the same distance from pittsburgh , baltimore, and washington ( about 2 hrs away ). my cable provider has always televised all 3 teams games almost every sunday since i can remember. my dad was a colts fan , one of my older brothers latched on to the skins , so the steelers were the obvious choice for me ...:thumbsup:

55BaileyFan
05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
32 teams ....23 out of 50 states have teams ...thousands of cities...310 million people

only about 10 % of the population lives in the cities that hosts NFL teams , should the other 90 % not be football fans ? does living in the same state that has a team qualify as " a connection" to the team ?
i live about the same distance from pittsburgh , baltimore, and washington ( about 2 hrs away ). my cable provider has always televised all 3 teams games almost every sunday since i can remember. my dad was a colts fan , one of my older brothers latched on to the skins , so the steelers were the obvious choice for me ...:thumbsup:

I don't think anyone was saying that you shouldn't be a fan outside of the city/state. It is good to see fans nationwide and across the world. To me again, it all depends on whether that person can actually back up being a fan and isn't a wagon fan. But hey, there is no nation like Steeler Nation.

SteelBlaze1
05-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I was born and raised (and still live) in Oregon. I have been a Steeler fan most of my life (since first Super Bowl). My last name is Lambert, so you can guess how I started watching the Steelers. I used to tell people that Jack was my uncle, some believed, most did not.

My wife was a long time Niner's fan (loved Montana), but I have recently brought her over to the right side and she is now as big, if not bigger, Steeler fan than me. I/we just love our team and look forward to watching games again this year....go Steelers!

stb_steeler
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Some of you are still wet behind the ears, so to speak!.....:popcorn:

55BaileyFan
05-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Some of you are still wet behind the ears, so to speak!.....:popcorn:

What do you mean?

MaidenIndiana
05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Growing up my father and brother were HUGE Cowboys fans. When I started watching football it seemed like the only team that beat the cowboys was the Steelers, so I of course started rooting for them. While the last few years have been pretty good, I was still rooting for them in the days of Stoudt, Malone, and Brister playing QB so I'm not a bandwagon fan. Besides being a Steelers fan gives me a reason to piss off all the Colts fans that surround me

saveus1011
05-16-2011, 02:22 AM
From Atlanta, never been to Pittsburgh or have any family there, but followed the Steelers my whole life as my dad coached Richard Shelton and with his first check from the Steelers bought us a Sega Genesis. As you can imagine at seven years old, that's reason enough to become a fan.

I know the history, can tell you who Ernie Stautner is, know the team was originally the Pirates, and know our record against the Brooklyn Dodgers football team.

And my obsession with the Steelers (and Penguins) has led me to be a Pirates fan and to refer to Pittsburgh as the 'Motherland.'

Rick5895
05-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Growing up in Canada (near Toronto) I started cheering for the Steelers in 1972 ( I was 10) . I really became a fan a couple of years later when Lambert was a rookie. When I started playing football in high school I really became a rabid fan, learned everything i could about them and could name virtually every player on those teams. I have passed this passion for the Steelers on to my son, who will turn 18 in June. We come to at least 1 game at Hienz field every year and this coming season we will also be going to San Francisco for the game out there (I have family there who have seasons tickets and are huge niner fans)
For me being a Steeler fan is about family, the Steeler nation is one HUGE family and I believe thats what draws people. No matter where you go Steeler fans treat one another like friends and a respect that is second to none.

MDSteel15
05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
How do Steelers fans feel about Steelers fans with no ties to Pittsburgh nor have they ever been to the state of Pennsylvania? I am not one of those people. Living in Cincinnati, you see this a lot. A lot of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans, aka teams with great tradition and championships to boot.
Fans are weak. Sports is the only entity in the world where rooting for a bad product is armirable.

I've been a Steelers fan since probably before you were born and I am in PA all the time! BUT, I have lived in Maryland my whole life until recently! So what's the big deal? I suffered throught the 80's!!!! :popcorn:

thumper
05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
You know, I am sure there are bandwagon type Steeler fans - every fan
base has them. But, I honestly have never met one. Every Steeler fan I
meet know and love the team, and follow it with passion. That being said,
I was sporting Steeler gear in the grocery store the other day, and an
older man who worked there, stopped me and said, "Now that's a really
nice shirt." We exchanged our backgrounds and he said, "You don't see
many fans like you down here" and I said "There are actually a lot of
Steeler fans down here" (and there are) and he said, "Not that wear Steeler
shirts" and, after reflection, I concluded he was right. You do see lots
of bumper sticks and plates and window decals, but not too many people
who represent the colors.

If you live outside of Pgh, do you represent?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MlfILFw4Txg/TTuHOPMj68I/AAAAAAAAAEg/xvvypqeXsnk/s1600/steelers%2Bfan.jpg

saveus1011
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Every bleeping day.

stb_steeler
05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
What do you mean?

Just that alot of fans here are youngins.....

Quasar
05-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I was born near Pittsburgh but left when I was 8. Though my Dad took me into Pittsburgh to see the Pirates, I never saw the Steelers in person until I was 36. Saw the Steelers twice with both my Dad and my son, so I am passing that on to the next generation. I've been known to plan vacations around the Steelers schedule (visit to DC in 2000 so I could see them play the Redskins, visit to my sis-in-law in Chicago in 2009 so I could see them play the Bears). This year is no different, if there is a season, that is. Living near Los Angeles now, trying to decide whether to catch the Steelers in Frisco, Arizona- or both. I do work with another Steelers fan who has liked them since he was a kid, but he has no connections with Pittsburgh. Same with a neighbor 2 doors down in my old neighborhood. There are a LOT of Steelers fans here in southern California!

thumper
05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Let me say this: IF you are a true die hard Steeler fan you must experience
Dahn-tahn Pgh during a home game. You need to stay at a hotel right
dahn-tahn, cost be damned. There is nothing like waking up in Pgh,
the day of a home game, and soaking in that atmosphere. If you think you
are a fervent fan now, just wait until you experience Pgh on a home game
day. It is a must. It is beyond on the "bucket list." Virtually every person
you will see is sporting Steeler gear. The atmosphere is intensely electric.
I've been to some other NFL cities during game day, and their towns are
a joke compared to how Pgh rocks, fan wise. I am told (and it is common
knowledge) that GB and KC are near or at our level, but no one else is
even close. Many fan bases don't even bother to tail gate. Can you imagine
that? Stay right dahn tahn, whatever the cost (not that expensive), party
Sat. night, wake up to Steeler nation, walk to the game, early, so you have
at least 2 hours of soaking in all the scenery - you will never forget that
experience. Hopefully you go when the team is good and contending (most
years since the 80's) and you will have a total blast. If you love the Steelers,
being there will make your spine tingle and give you goose bumps - no kidding.

hicksfan
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
we're treated like family every time we visit and go to a game..... this past year we took in the browns game with my son and daughter-in-law from japan, we were pulling into the hotel at station square and she was astonished at 99.9% of the city's populate wearing steelers garb, she asked "is everyone in the city a steelers fan?"... "damn near......"

thumper
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
we're treated like family every time we visit and go to a game..... this past year we took in the browns game with my son and daughter-in-law from japan, we were pulling into the hotel at station square and she was astonished at 99.9% of the city's populate wearing steelers garb, she asked "is everyone in the city a steelers fan?"... "damn near......"

It is an awesome sight to behold. Everyone should experience it at
least once, even non-Steeler fans, just to soak in what the true
Steeler Nation is about.

SteelBlaze1
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
My dream is to someday attend a Steeler game at Heinz field. I would like to try and make it to Seattle next time they play up here. Seattle is about 3 hours from me here in Oregon.

hammy36
05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Being raised in SW Kansas and now living in Kansas City I've probably answered the "how are you a Steelers fan" question ten thousand times. The story goes like this...my oldest cousin started liking them when he was a kid in the very early 70's because he liked the uniforms. Needless to say, when they went from bad to great and started winning SB's, his liking was solidified. He and my brother are pretty close in age and my brother kind of looked up to him as a kid and liked everything he liked. I obviously wanted to be like my older brother and liked the things he liked. The feeling has spread across the entire family and not one of us is "from" anywhere near the Burgh.

I have visited twice...saw the last Sunday night game at Three Rivers and then went the subsequent year to the fourth regular season game at Heinz. Want to get back so bad but I've since entered the "real world" and have those stupid "responsibilities" to take care of :) and thus haven't been able to. Thankfully my bro subscribes to the Sunday ticket and if he's not around for some reason, there is an awesome fan club here in the kc area that I'm a member of so I never miss a game.

My love for the Steelers has turned me into a Pens fan and somewhat of a Pirates fan (not big into the MLB...but my phone does tell me that we lost today). When I have kids, if we are so blessed, you better believe they will be answering the same question someday:)

55BaileyFan
05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
My dream is to someday attend a Steeler game at Heinz field. I would like to try and make it to Seattle next time they play up here. Seattle is about 3 hours from me here in Oregon.

Games there are so intense. My favorites where the Monday nighter at Baltimore in 2008 and the come from behind win over the Browns...Cribbs returned one 96 yards for TD and Ben brought us back...it was intense.

steelax04
05-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Let me say this: IF you are a true die hard Steeler fan you must experience
Dahn-tahn Pgh during a home game. You need to stay at a hotel right
dahn-tahn, cost be damned. There is nothing like waking up in Pgh,
the day of a home game, and soaking in that atmosphere. If you think you
are a fervent fan now, just wait until you experience Pgh on a home game
day. It is a must. It is beyond on the "bucket list." Virtually every person
you will see is sporting Steeler gear. The atmosphere is intensely electric.
I've been to some other NFL cities during game day, and their towns are
a joke compared to how Pgh rocks, fan wise. I am told (and it is common
knowledge) that GB and KC are near or at our level, but no one else is
even close. Many fan bases don't even bother to tail gate. Can you imagine
that? Stay right dahn tahn, whatever the cost (not that expensive), party
Sat. night, wake up to Steeler nation, walk to the game, early, so you have
at least 2 hours of soaking in all the scenery - you will never forget that
experience. Hopefully you go when the team is good and contending (most
years since the 80's) and you will have a total blast. If you love the Steelers,
being there will make your spine tingle and give you goose bumps - no kidding.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. I've been to three games at Pittsburgh and the atmosphere is beyond anything people in Philadelphia could imagine (where I used to live). Now I'm in Richmond and Skins fans... please. I see more Steelers fans down here than I do Skins fans.

Anyway, my fiance's first NFL game ever was in Pittsburgh in 2009. She wasn't even an NFL fan until we started dating. We had to skip last year due to moving and finances, but she has asked me at least six times this year, "When are we going to the Steelers game this year?" Last night she asked and I responded "Well, we need to see if we're going to have a season first..." and she said that we should just go to Pittsburgh anway. So I think that right there is a testament to how great of a city Pittsburgh is, not just in regards to Steelers fandom.

BigRick
05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I lived in Missouri for years and now live in Indiana. Been a Steelers fan for over 40 years. So I remember the middle 60's and early 70' as wel as the 80's. the only team I have ever rooted for is the Steelers. Will be in Pa next month on vacation snd hope to be back for training camp if there is one. SO GO STEELERS!! :helmet::tt03:

SteelerFanInATL
07-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I have not lived in Pgh for 25 yrs and currently live in Atlanta. I have several friends here that have been Steeler Fans since I met them and not fairweather fans. What I like about Non-Pittsburgh Steeler Fans is that they reconize how good and consistant our team is. Being a native PGH'er that makes me feel GREAT about what our team has done. Not until you move away from Pgh do you realize how many Steeler Fans are out hear and I LOVE IT!!!:tt04::tt03::tt::drink::applaudit::hatsoff: