PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor isnt down with a hometown discount

Atlanta Dan
05-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Ruh-roh:banging:

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldnt take a hometown discount.

I need that market value. I work so hard, Taylor told Rome. Ive been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like its my time to get my worth, in whatever city thats in.

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

I would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so well see what happens, Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/18/ike-taylor-isnt-down-with-a-hometown-discout/

steelerchad
05-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Ruh-roh:banging:

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldnt take a hometown discount.

I need that market value. I work so hard, Taylor told Rome. Ive been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like its my time to get my worth, in whatever city thats in.

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

I would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so well see what happens, Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/18/ike-taylor-isnt-down-with-a-hometown-discout/

Eh. Could be a little posturing on his part. Kind of stupid to say on national TV he'll take less money. He's just trying to get the Steelers to make a true best offer. If they're close to market value I think he stays. I could be wrong, but history shows most free agents that leave the Steelers defense have a significant dropoff in production with their new team. Ike and the Steelers should both do the smart thing and find a deal that works for both sides.

jjpro11
05-18-2011, 08:39 PM
putting your Steelers bias aside, can you really blame him if he bolts to a team like the Redskins if they panic and throw top 3 or 4 CB money at him? he's started on two Super Bowl winning teams and has been a quiet, hard working player his entire time here. yeah, he's going to get paid a ton either way.. but what's wrong with maximizing your potential income?

Atlanta Dan
05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
putting your Steelers bias aside, can you really blame him if he bolts to a team like the Redskins if they panic and throw top 3 or 4 CB money at him? he's started on two Super Bowl winning teams and has been a quiet, hard working player his entire time here. yeah, he's going to get paid a ton either way.. but what's wrong with maximizing your potential income?

Nothing wrong with that - I posted previously that I thought Ike might go to the highest bidder

You have your rings - now you want to max out on that last big contract - IMO it is easier to hold on to players who have not won a Super Bowl if you have a very competitive team - once the ultimate team accomplishment has been achieved you are more likely to focus on the individual goals that are measured by the size of the contract

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=72760

ggoldman
05-19-2011, 04:10 AM
why should Ike even look at a discount, its time for him to hit big, especially with this weak CB market. he is one of the few CB's that can shadow the opposing team's best receiver

steelerchad
05-19-2011, 08:04 AM
I hate to say this, but if Ike goes we are in deep s***. He can almost always keep the other teams #1 receiver in check.

stb_steeler
05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Gonna be interesting after the lock out gets settled.

MDSteel15
05-19-2011, 11:56 AM
:tt03:See ya later Ike!

Fire Arians
05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
he would be an all-pro if he could catch the damn ball, but so would limas sweed.

if he's asking for too much cash let him walk. I'm not down with giving him revis money if he wants that

TRH
05-19-2011, 07:36 PM
i love how players say "I feel SO unappreciated................"

It sometimes feels as if there isn't an athlete alive who hasn't uttered that phrase. Probably the most overused, exaggerated phrase in sports existence. I'm sure it was concocted for use by an agent or attorney because, unfortunately, it works.

PhantomJB93
05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not going to take this as meaning he definitely won't come back, who knows what kind of offer the Steelers are prepared to make him, and he could just be trying to get more out of the Steelers by threatening to leave...if he just tells them he feels partial to them they'll make him a worse offer. It's all business.

At the same time, we're REALLY screwed if he goes. I know some of you think the CB situation is "overblown," and I agree I'm probably a bit more worried about it then I should be considering our track record the past few years without great CBs. But seriously, we CANNOT go with Bryant Mcfadden as our top CB. It's just not an option if we want to have any success this year. If we don't get one or two reliable guys in free agency, it's not going to be just the elite QBs that shred our defense next year...the Joe Flaccos and Mark Sanchez's will pass right down the field too, unless Crezdon Butler and Curtis Brown turn into Revis's in one offseason and download Lebeau's defense into their brains ovenright.

I'm not saying we need Nnamdi Asomugha, although I would certainly support going to every extent to get a realistic deal done with him if we can't get Ike, he actually is worth the top CB money that Ike is not. But even if we don't get him, which we won't, we need to get at least one or two established, reliable guys that aren't just career nickel backs or special teamers. Unfortuantely the CB FA pool isn't too deep this year after Aso and those types of guys are going to be offered far more than they're worth, so I can easily see us going with *gulp* Mcfadden, Gay, Butler, and Brown as our top CBs next year...

austinfrench76
05-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't blame Ike the same way I don't blame the Steelers for not over paying for him if it takes crazy dollars. They obviously don't believe that CB is an EXTREMELY importnat position or there would have been more attention paid to it in the draft. Tomlin/Lebeau has made it clear.

StainlessStill
05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
In prior years, we'd just let a player like Ike simply test the market no problem and let him walk if he demanded too much. The Steelers are BOLD when it comes to letting players go.

However, we may be in a stand-still here and HAVE to pay the man his money. When we let go of SO many valuable players before, we had a plethora of depth players ready to step into the position and go about the task at hand. If we let Ike go, we simply just blew our whole load for the next 2 years at the corner position. Ike is our rock right now and without him, we got SQUAT.

We know it, Ike knows it, Tomlin knows it and the Rooney's CERTAINLY know it. I don't see how we let him walk....

pete74
05-20-2011, 04:59 AM
he knows we need him and our secondary will fall apart without him so he definatly has the upper hand here. i would let him walk in a second if he wants Revis type money but we definatly need to make an attempt if he isnt asking to much. if he wants to be paid top 3 CB money then were better off letting him walk and signing Nnamdi Asomugha. Taylor is very good but our defense makes him look even better then he really is. hell we made mcfadden look good for a few years.

steelerchad
05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
I think McFadden will be OK if he stays healthy. Ike has proven to be a reliable corner in coverage and durability. He's always in the game. We need this guy badly. I have hopes for our 2 incoming rookies, but neither will be any help this year or probably next. Maybe Butler is ready to step up. If they can get Ike for top 10 corner money do it. If he wants top 3 money, they have to let him go.

kirklandrules
05-20-2011, 09:43 AM

It sometimes feels as if there isn't an athlete alive who hasn't uttered that phrase. Probably the most overused, exaggerated phrase in sports existence. I'm sure it was concocted for use by an agent or attorney because, unfortunately, it works.

No kidding. He feels so unappreciated even though the Steelers went out on a limb to draft him and spent the time to develop him. Not to mention Dan Rooney taking him under his wing ... how many of those stories have we heard about how Dan went way out of his way to develop a relationship with Ike that most owners just don't develop with their players?

Glad he feels unappreciated. Entitled beeatch. I don't mind a player saying he's going to test the market, but when he makes it seem he's gotten the short end of the stick is just rediculous.

Atlanta Dan
05-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Ed. B. of the P-G suspects Ike was reading the script provided by his agent

Ike Taylor appeared on Jim Rome is Burning on ESPN Wednesday and said some things that have Steelers fans concerned that he wont be back this season.

Heres how this thing works. Taylor has done a number of interviews in which hes expressed a desire to return to the Steelers. In one, on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, he discounted the huge contract given Sanford Routt by the Oakland Raiders three years, $31 million. When he was asked about it on the air, Taylor laughed and shrugged it off as it being the Raiders, so it doesnt count. Ive written stuff here and on my chats that I believe Taylor will return. Others have written the same and Taylor, in interviews, has given little reason for anyone to believe otherwise until Wednesday on the Rome show.

That appearance was so obviously set up by his people to show that Taylor would be willing to go elsewhere if the Steelers do not pony up.

I still believe strongly that Taylor will return, but its going to cost the Steelers, not like it cost the Raiders for Routt but $8-9 million annually.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109955-ed-goodell-should-take-neutral-approach

Fire Arians
05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
yeah sure pay him what he's worth. He's never made it to a single pro bowl, so he's out of his mind if he thinks he deserves elite cb money

if he's asking for that money, perhaps we should let him walk and go after asomugha

thumper
05-20-2011, 01:05 PM

How has he been through "so much?" He's been injury free. He hasn't had any
scandals. I would think Big Ben could say he has been through "so much" (much
of it self-inflicted). But what has Ike "been through?" I say move on - he's not that
good. Can't catch a damn thing. If Troy and McFadden come back healthy we
can win without Ike. He's been paid on a fair level so far. What is his F-ing problem?

55BaileyFan
05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I hate to say this, but if Ike goes we are in deep s***. He can almost always keep the other teams #1 receiver in check.

We won't be in deep shit. The Steelers find ways to win...someone will step up, they always do. To say, "well we suck now" is an insult to the other guys on the roster. If no one on the roster steps up we can still look out into free agency and find someone who wants to come play for us.

It is not the end of the world, we will still win 11 games without him and we will still be in contention for the division crown. Ike is not worth as much as people think.

truesteelerfan
05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree...i'm a fan, but he's not an elite CB in the leauge, he may be our best, so he should be OUR highest paid CB, but compared to others, he's mid level wouldn't you say? Maybe the 15th best in the league---his pay should be comparable to that level, if he asks for top 3 money, let him go- we always find a way and reload

thumper
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
We won't be in deep shit. The Steelers find ways to win...someone will step up, they always do. To say, "well we suck now" is an insult to the other guys on the roster. If no one on the roster steps up we can still look out into free agency and find someone who wants to come play for us.

It is not the end of the world, we will still win 11 games without him and we will still be in contention for the division crown. Ike is not worth as much as people think.

Troy and B-Mac healthy, and a chance at an improved pass rush,
and we could easily overcome the loss of Ike. I know he is posturing
for max $, but saying he has "been through so much" is such BS. I
think Worilds and Sylvester might see some snaps, and Heyward could
be in the mix, making our pass rush even more ferocious. Plus Timmons
will have his best season ever. And, if Woodley is tagged, he will also
be playing for his next contract.

Pay Ike top 10 CB $. Nothing more than that. Never been to a probowl.
He can suck and egg if he thinks he should be paid top 3 $. He isn't.

pete74
05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Troy and B-Mac healthy, and a chance at an improved pass rush,
and we could easily overcome the loss of Ike. I know he is posturing
for max $, but saying he has "been through so much" is such BS. I
think Worilds and Sylvester might see some snaps, and Heyward could
be in the mix, making our pass rush even more ferocious. Plus Timmons
will have his best season ever. And, if Woodley is tagged, he will also
be playing for his next contract.

Pay Ike top 10 CB $. Nothing more than that. Never been to a probowl.
He can suck and egg if he thinks he should be paid top 3 $. He isn't.

agreed. he is really good in our defense but he definatly isnt a top 3 CB in the league and dosnt deserve to be paid as one especially when he is on the wrong side of 30

davidtrout
05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree...i'm a fan, but he's not an elite CB in the leauge, he may be our best, so he should be OUR highest paid CB, but compared to others, he's mid level wouldn't you say? Maybe the 15th best in the league---his pay should be comparable to that level, if he asks for top 3 money, let him go- we always find a way and reload

I think we all agree that he's not top 3 but 15th is way to low. He's not midlevel. Stones hands doesn't drop him that low. Turnovers are great but 3 and outs serve the same purpose and Ike blankets top WRs as well as anyone. He's better than most CBs that routinely get more interceptions because they also get beat more often. Pro Bowls are not indicative of anything but popularity.

I can't begrudge Ike for doing all he can to maximize his contract. This will be the largest one of his career and possibly his last. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.

I hope he stays, but he should take the best deal he can get at this point. The Steelers don't place a premium on the position and they're not going to start now.

Atlanta Dan
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
agreed. he is really good in our defense but he definatly isnt a top 3 CB in the league and dosnt deserve to be paid as one especially when he is on the wrong side of 30

Agreed - for the old folks around here, Ike Taylor is JT Thomas quality, not Mel Blount or Rod Woodson quality

And he is +30 - better to dump a player one year too soon rather than one year too late - it's a contract negotiation, not a career achievement award

finesward
05-21-2011, 08:28 AM
This is the same player who was benched by Cowher for a 1/4 of a season for poor play? I like the guy, I think he's a great fit for our defense...but you throw him on a different team w/o the kind of pass rush we have and w/o a Troy playing behind him and he will suffer the mcfadden syndrome. I don't think he is above average when asked to cover a receiver for any extended length of time. He can play physical at the line but once he gets in pursuit he's as susceptible as most CB's are to give up a play. Stevie Johnson ran right by him in that buffalo game this year, and he was burnt on other occasions as well. No way do we overpay for him simply b/c we have a need, same reason we don't draft a CB high just b/c we have a need.

I wish him well if he moves on but i think he will struggle if/when he leaves.

steeltheone
05-22-2011, 11:56 AM
It would be much easier at this point in their careers to replace Farrior, Smith, Kiesel or Clark than Ike

thumper
05-22-2011, 01:44 PM
It would be much easier at this point in their careers to replace Farrior, Smith, Kiesel or Clark than Ike

That's true, but those guys are under contract and not hijacking the team
like trying to rob a bank.

harts
05-27-2011, 01:48 AM

I love the steelers since 79
but this game is a business and it's about the bottom line
MONEY

Ike should go where who pays the most
He has 2 rings and 9 years invested in a brutal game.
He should be looking to get as much as possible - he has about 3-4 years left

steelers will probably let him skate though - if the demands are too high
I think they will give him a reasonable offer

LOL at people who think he should give the steelers a hometown discount

SacknificentStew56
05-28-2011, 03:27 AM
I hope he doesn't bolt away to another team but I wouldn't blame him if he does. The owners make "business decisions" and the ball is now in his hands. He's won two super bowls with us so if he decides to move on then he's just exercising his right as a free agent. He didn't have anything to do with the birth of free agency so if he leaves, then good luck to him.