PDA

View Full Version : Big House getting bigger

BB2W
05-20-2006, 06:18 PM
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor will get luxury boxes and more seats as part of an estimated $226 million renovation to the American sports icon, under a plan given initial approval Friday.

The University of Michigan Board of Regents voted 5-3 in favor of the plan, which would increase the stadium's capacity to 108,251. The final design and construction contracts still require board approval.

The target for completion of work on the home of the Wolverines is 2010. About 83 suites and 3,200 club seats will be added, the university said, while widening seats and aisles will cut seats in some parts.

Details of the plan first were reported Friday by The Ann Arbor News, which obtained details through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Michigan Stadium was built in 1927 at a cost of $950,000. Expanded several times over the years, it is one of the largest football stadiums in the country with a seating capacity of 107,501.

The athletics department proposed that Michigan build private suites like those that many colleges have added in recent years. But the plan had drawn some opposition from Michigan football fans.

link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/05/19/bc.fbc.michiganstadium.ap/index.html

Suitanim
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
The Buckeyes will match, I'm sure, and expand their stadium.

I don't have a link, but the Buckeyes generate more revenue from football than any other college in the Country...and they just gave Tressel a big raise, so they are gonna need the money!

Lyn
05-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Down with University of Michigan!~!~!~!~!! That little school down the street from Michigan State University.

Ohio Steeler
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
The Buckeyes will match, I'm sure, and expand their stadium.

I don't have a link, but the Buckeyes generate more revenue from football than any other college in the Country...and they just gave Tressel a big raise, so they are gonna need the money!

OSU just did a big over haul of the show about 3 years ago, I really dont see then doing anything to it now for some time

Suitanim
05-20-2006, 10:05 PM
They won't let Michigan have the bigger stadium.

Lyn
05-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Go OSU oh I love that U ofM/OSU game and I am an OSU fan all year except for the day they play MSU

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Watch Penn State will Expand Beaver Stadium again. Trying to keep pace with The Wolverines.