PDA

View Full Version : Burress a Possibilty

tunes4life
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
I looked around and was surprised not to see any comments on this PG article:

PG Article (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11149/1149995-87.stm)

I wouldn't mind seeing the guy back in B&G. I don't think it would happen though. Maybe the prison time straightened him up a bit? Worth discussing at least. I know we have a plethora of good receivers right now but it would be good to have a tall guy for the end zone corner routes. This would be a good year to get him if we wanted him.

I personally don't have any hard feelings against him. I think his head got a little too big for his helmet for a while, but prison has a way of fixing that problem quick.

Thoughts? :noidea:

thumper
05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
No F-in way. Signing Plex would be a very un-Steeler-like thing to do. Personally,
I think the sentence handed down on him for having an unlicensed fire arm was
insane. He had no priors, he wasn't trying to shoot anyone - it just fell out of his
pants and shot him, no one else. Two years for that is excessive as hell. He
should have got probation, fined, etc. Having to serve two years for that is simply
insane. Had he had priors for illegal gun possession, different story. Had he shot
someone, or even pulled it out on someone, different story.

All that being said, he is an awful fit for Pgh and their team philosophy. He may indeed
have had his head checked from prison time but there is no way in hell he gets signed
by Pgh just on his previous tude alone. NY won a SB with him but we won a SB withOUT
him, as soon as he left. His selfish, ****y, jerk-ish tude isn't a fit. I like his talents. I think
he could help some teams. But Pgh doesn't go for the prima donna tude - just not a fit in
the Burgh. Rooneys won't even spend 1 minute thinking about signing him. Let the Raiders
sign him. They could use him and it's a perfect match.

theplatypus
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
What's that old saying? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Plax is a fully grown man and I'm sure he was well aware of the gun laws in NY. It's his own fault and got exactly what was coming to him. I'm glad he got two years as I'm sick and ****ing tired of celebrities getting off with a slap on the wrist when the rest of is would be behind bars.

steeltown36
05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Burress got screwed by Bloomberg, he made Roger Goddells actions look like Santa Claus. Having said that, the Steelers do not need or want Burress. We have a very talented group of wideouts already. We gotta keep getting younger, not older. Ward and Randle El are already old. We gotta keep building up Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.

DanRooney
05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm a full grown man and I have no idea what every single gun law is in Virginia. Saying someone should know every single law in their respective state is beyond ridiculous. There's a bunch of frivolous state laws that are asinine. I heard butt sex is illegal here :chuckle:

Plax would be a great addition to the Steelers imo. Sanders, Brown and Ward at this point of his career are slot guys. We need someone to line up opposite of Wallace.

theplatypus
06-01-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm a full grown man and I have no idea what every single gun law is in Virginia. Saying someone should know every single law in their respective state is beyond ridiculous. There's a bunch of frivolous state laws that are asinine. I heard butt sex is illegal here :chuckle:

Plax would be a great addition to the Steelers imo. Sanders, Brown and Ward at this point of his career are slot guys. We need someone to line up opposite of Wallace.

As a gun owner it's your responsibility to know the gun laws in your state. Especially if you're CC, not doing so is effing stupid.

steeltown36
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Its true man, you gotta know the laws if you are going to own, much less carry a gun. I think everyone knows carrying a gun without a permit is illegal, but he really got stuck with a harsh punishment. The fact that he shot himself and looks like a jackass for doing so was almost punishment enough.

thumper
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
As a gun owner it's your responsibility to know the gun laws in your state. Especially if you're CC, not doing so is effing stupid.

No one said he should get off scott free. It's a matter of degrees. Is the
first offense of carrying a gun illegally really worthy of two years in prison?
Bull shit. You would get off lighter for grand theft or rape for your first offense.
Hell, you could get busted selling coke and not get that. Bloomberg is a Nazi.
Plex did not only NOT get a lighter sentence for being a famous person, he
got hammered far harder than the average person would have got for the same
"crime."

But regardless, no way does Pgh sign him. No where near a fit. Let the
Raiders have him, who, by the way, are actually building a competitive
team, if you can believe it or not. McFadden is becoming the force he
was thought to be in college. OL is decent. D has some players. If only
Al can stay out of the way (which he might be doing out of default, taking
naps, etc.) they might become a good team. All of a sudden, the AFC West
is becoming a good division. KC, SD, and Oak are all emerging teams
who could make the play offs. Denver, probably not so much at this point.

theplatypus
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Y'all are a perfect example of one of the major problems with this country. It's always someone else's fault, bloomberg ****ed him my ass. He was partying in a club with a loaded handgun in his sweatpants. THose aren't exactly the actions of a responsible gun owner. He's yet another millionaire acting like a thug, **** him, he got exactly what he deserved.

harrison'samonster
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't think Pittsburgh will look at signing Burress too hard. It would be nice to have his talent, but I'd rather find it it some young receiver that we can develop, and not in an older receiver with some baggage.

I think he did get a harder sentence because it was such a famous case and if I can remember right, they tried to hide the gun and get away with it. He did act like an idiot, and he definately should have been more responsible though.

DanRooney
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Y'all are a perfect example of one of the major problems with this country. It's always someone else's fault, bloomberg ****ed him my ass. He was partying in a club with a loaded handgun in his sweatpants. THose aren't exactly the actions of a responsible gun owner. He's yet another millionaire acting like a thug, **** him, he got exactly what he deserved.

Shit you're right. He had a loaded gun on him he must be a thug. All of his priors prove it. Plus he's tall and black. :tt03:

thumper
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Right wing nuts want everyone to get max. penalty for breaking
the law, ala Rush Limbaugh saying anyone taking drugs illegally
should be thrown in jail......until he was busted for illegally popping
pain pills. All of a sudden, he wasn't spouting off about how any taking
drugs illegally should be locked up. Strange how he changed his tune.

TRH
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
it's unbelievable that anyone is looking at this guy. The Burress's and Moss's of the world should all be released and forgotten. Unfortunately in the day and age we're in, if you're an athlete, criminal activity and attitude problems mean nothing.

thumper
06-06-2011, 03:17 PM
it's unbelievable that anyone is looking at this guy. The Burress's and Moss's of the world should all be released and forgotten. Unfortunately in the day and age we're in, if you're an athlete, criminal activity and attitude problems mean nothing.

Yea, it's just today that this is happening. Never mind even a high
school athlete is allowed to run a muck and not have to adhere to
the rules like everyone else. This is a brand NEW development in
our society. <sarcasm>

Also, never mind that Plex had to serve a much __harsher__
sentence than if anyone of us had done the same thing. And then ppl
like you scream that he got off light b/c he is a pro athlete. Meanwhile,
the exact opposite was true in this case.

finesward
06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Ben got suspended for a 1/4 of the season for being accused of a crime.

He was punished as harshly as plax was yet he is still on the roster and taking the team to SB's.

Given your stance TRH Ben should be released and never play again in the NFL. Whether he was convicted or not he was punished for showing poor judgment and having a shitty attitude towards women. I bet you still were cheering for him to make that 4th down throw in the SB though. Don't be hypocritical because the nature of their "crimes" are different. Plax bringing a gun was stupid, Ben going boozing w/ college girls was stupid, at least be consistent and include roth in the conversation about releasing players and banishing them from the NFL.

MrAustin412
06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think its likely but here's a piece that I blogged about for Burress.

http://bit.ly/krHv3H

Post comments. Let me know what y'all think.

dyce23
06-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Just to clear things up, Plaxico actually lives in NJ, where the Giants actually play football. He also had a permit for his weapon in the state of NJ. The reason he was sent to jail is simple enough. He crossed the bridge from NJ into NY where he attended a night club and unintentionally shot himself. Having a weapons permit in one state does not necessarily give you permission to carry the weapon in another state. Plaxico was actually hit with a two year sentence for a misunderstanding. However, the misunderstanding could have ended in an even more severe situation than it did. He could have gotten into an argument and shot someone. He did not, but the possibility exists. Therefore, NY acted on its own state laws and arrested Burress for carrying a gun that was not registered in the state of NY and for shooting himself in a night club. The charges are simple enough and deserved, but let's not act as if Plaxico is a true-to-life thug.

tunes4life
06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Just to clear things up, Plaxico actually lives in NJ, where the Giants actually play football. He also had a permit for his weapon in the state of NJ. The reason he was sent to jail is simple enough. He crossed the bridge from NJ into NY where he attended a night club and unintentionally shot himself. Having a weapons permit in one state does not necessarily give you permission to carry the weapon in another state. Plaxico was actually hit with a two year sentence for a misunderstanding. However, the misunderstanding could have ended in an even more severe situation than it did. He could have gotten into an argument and shot someone. He did not, but the possibility exists. Therefore, NY acted on its own state laws and arrested Burress for carrying a gun that was not registered in the state of NY and for shooting himself in a night club. The charges are simple enough and deserved, but let's not act as if Plaxico is a true-to-life thug.

Isn't it illegal to carry a gun into a place that serves alcohol in NYC too?

Fire Arians
06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
at least he didnt go all ray lewis on someone lol

rbryan
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
How old will Plax have to be before some people finally stop talking about signing him?

Anyone who thinks the FO would actually consider bringing him back hasn't been paying very close attention to how the Steelers do business.

thumper
06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
How old will Plax have to be before some people finally stop talking about signing him?

Anyone who thinks the FO would actually consider bringing him back hasn't been paying very close attention to how the Steelers do business.

:thumbsup: