PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer - don't forget about him

thumper
06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
I still think Dwyer could end up being a big time back for us.

Last year he came in out of shape and not ready to do the needed
work to get ready. But he finally was coming on at the end of preseason.

I think this kid could be a real steal. I would hope that he makes
the #2 back (not 3rd down back) and get at least 5 touches a game
and to be ready for starter usage in case RM goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM

55BaileyFan
06-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I have been saying this for a while too. He had a couple good carries against Cleveland last season, give him some more carries and he could be a great back up.

Aussie Steeler
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
But Isaac Redman is a weapon!

55BaileyFan
06-04-2011, 12:37 AM
He is okay, but I don't know if he is a true weapon. Dwyer could be as good as Redman and think they will attempt to use him like that.

steelerchad
06-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Redman had a very good year last year. He usually came through and picked up the necessary yards when needed. We were much better on 3rd and 1 last year, mainly because of Pouncey but Redman contributed as well.
I like Dwyer's skill set. I hope he progresses to hte point where he can take 5 or 6 carries a game. Nothing wrong with having a stable of backs. Keep Rashard around 15-20 touches with Redman and Dwyer with 5 touches each.

steeltheone
06-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow 5 or 6 good carries against a Cleveland team that was more worried about going golfing the following week than the meaningless last game of a losing season....

MasterOfPuppets
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM
dwyer will be fighting for a practice squad spot.

DanRooney
06-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Too much upside to keep Dwyer on the practice squad. Moore will most likely be cut as soon as the season rolls around.

thumper
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
He is okay, but I don't know if he is a true weapon. Dwyer could be as good as Redman and think they will attempt to use him like that.

You got it all wrong, 55. Redman is a 1-dimensional back who can do one thing:
run with power. But he is super restricted in that he is as slow as a turd. Dwyer
has some big-play potential. No, he isn't a speedster by any stretch, but he
fights to keep plays alive with some short-burst quickness (not "speed" at this
level) to add yards to rushes that Redman simply couldn't even hope for.
Watch the highlights from college with Dwyer. Yes, it's the ACC, not the NFL.
But still, he accelerates into would-be tacklers and extends plays many times.
IF Dwyer puts in the work, he will become a solid back. I said it before and I
am going to say it again: If Mendy goes down, I believe JD would actually
outperform him if given a starter's # of touches, assuming JD puts in the work,
which was his problem initially as a rookie, as well as being hurt.

thumper
06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Too much upside to keep Dwyer on the practice squad. Moore will most likely be cut as soon as the season rolls around.

Correct. Moore has NO upside at this point. And he seemed to take a step
backwards in 2010. If JD puts the work in, I believe he will take #2 status
and prove as good as many starters in this league.

tony hipchest
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
i miss dookie.

thumper
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
i miss dookie.

He wasn't bad.

Fire Arians
06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
let him compete with redman in preseason. agree with the poster who said moore should be gone this season

thumper
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
let him compete with redman in preseason. agree with the poster who said moore should be gone this season

Moore seemed to disappear last year, compared to what he was
the years previous. I really hope Dwyer breaks out. I think if he gets
enough touches he is going to surprise a lot of fans.

pete74
06-24-2011, 05:56 AM
i thought Dwyer would be a good back myself but after seeing us grab another back in the draft i dont ever see Dwyer geeting a chance in pittsburgh.

ggoldman
06-24-2011, 07:42 AM
that back we drafted was a 7th round pick, so dont expect him to make the team

steelerchad
06-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Moore was a decent 3rd down back, but Mendy is a pretty good pass blocker and 3rd down back himself. So Moore lost a lot of his value as Mendy can handle the 3rd and longs and Redman the 3rd and shorts. Would love to see Dwyer step up and take 5 or 6 carries a game off of Mendy's load. Redman was excellent at 3rd and short last year. The Steelers couldn't pick up 3rd and 1 to save their lives in the years after the bus and before Redman last year so I don't want to screw with that.
This Tiki rumor throws a wrench in the whole thing if it turns out to be true. I really don't think we should waste time with this guy. Even if it turns out he can play a little it would only be for this year, maybe next anyway. 36-37 year old backs in the NFL. Not many out there.