PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben ranked 41 in NFL 2011 Top 100

SH-Rock
06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I think he should be ranked higher. But I can see why he would be voted that low. Thoughts?

ggoldman
06-06-2011, 01:05 AM
That list is a joke, because LaMarr Woodley is ranked below BJ Raji

tunes4life
06-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Wow, that has to piss him off. I hope this lights a fire under his ass for this season (if it happens)

Steelerindc
06-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't think there's 40 players that are better than him and I was glad the whole panel (including a HOF like warner) started off with that. Ben is not going to get the love b/c off the field issues.

I guess as a Steeler fan I'm not going to worry about that, as long as he keeps getting us to the Super Bowl that's all that's going to matter at the end of his career.

steelerchad
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Eh. It's such an arbitrary list, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him in the top 20 or all the way down at #60. He's probably considered the 3rd to 6th best QB in the league and QB is the most important position on the field. When your making a top 100 list you have to have a few guys in the top 100 at each position. If he's the 5th best QB, then around #40 is probably close.

Atlanta Dan
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I watched the first few episodes until i saw Lamar Woodley was under ranked in the low 80s and concluded this was another arbitrary list with little basis in reality

I was unaware of Roethlisberger's ranking until I read about it in Peter King's MMQB column this morning. King agrees the ranking of Roethlisberger at #41 is a joke

How is Ben Roethlisberger the 41st-best player in football, unless his peers docked him some for his off-field misdeeds? He's won two Super Bowls, he's 29, has a big arm and ... well, there's no justification for having him 41st, in my opinion

So Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers,and Rivers will be ranked ahead of #7 - maybe Carson Palmer can make the top 40 as well

IMO a number of players who were involved in the rankings personally dislike Roethlisberger and believe his defense has carried him to success

King, a huge Mike Wallace fan (ranks Wallace at #44), also has this nugget

I may have Mike Wallace higher than you'd figure. ... Watch out for Wallace. With so much speed (Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown) in Pittsburgh's four-wide formations, you can bet Wallace is going to see less safety help over the next couple of years when Roethlisberger throws deep.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/06/05/mmqb/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a1

But King ranks Wallace (#44) ahead of Troy (#50), so King's opinions certainly are not flawless

thumper
06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Who cares? At the end of the day, rankings like this matter as much
as a fart in the wind.

solardave
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Who cares? At the end of the day, rankings like this matter as much
as a fart in the wind.

Probably even less.

stb_steeler
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I stopped watching that after 100-90......lol. The whole list is out of order, old ladies bridge club could of done a better list.....:coffee:

thumper
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I stopped watching that after 100-90......lol. The whole list is out of order, old ladies bridge club could of done a better list.....:coffee:

:sofunny:

I guess the players are more biased then even the fans, considering
some of these. They got Suh at 50 or so. He is going to be awesome;
without a doubt. But he's played one year and you are going to say
he is better than the 50 he was placed in front of? For real?

harrison'samonster
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I think Ben should be ranked higher, but #41's not bad. That puts and average of one player from every other team plus eight more players ahead of him... I guess if you put it that way then #41 is too low for Ben.

Troy should be in the top 10.

SH-Rock
06-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I think Ben should be ranked higher, but #41's not bad. That puts and average of one player from every other team plus eight more players ahead of him... I guess if you put it that way then #41 is too low for Ben.

Troy should be in the top 10.

But you also got to consider the names of the 40 players ahead of him.
We all know the obvious but I'm curious to see the rest of the players.

steeltown36
06-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Im glad Ben is ranked there. All of his carreer he has thrived while being undervalued. Just look at him since he was drafter AFTER Manning and Rivers. He is clearly a top QB in the league. It just drives him. I love it.

tunes4life
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Im glad Ben is ranked there. All of his carreer he has thrived while being undervalued. Just look at him since he was drafter AFTER Manning and Rivers. He is clearly a top QB in the league. It just drives him. I love it.

Yes, that was my thought exactly. :tt03:

StainlessStill
06-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't really give a damn where he ranks from his peers. The dude stiff armed Terell freakin' Suggs on a back-peddle with a broken nose and a broken foote ON THE ROAD in a hostile enviorment to hand us the AFC North title. Say what you want about Ben, but he is a PHENOM to deal with.

I hope he sees this. Whatever gives him more motivation.

thumper
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Funny, the guys on First Take were talking about this today. They all said he
deserves to be higher, and that too many guys just don't like him, hence his
rating is this low since it is all voting from current players. Skip feels he is
better than 3 QBs who will be rated higher than him, and, love him or hate
him, but Skip is right more often than any talking head in sports media. But
I am not that interested in the QBs that will be ahead of him (We know Brady
and Manning are obviously gonna rank higher, and I am fine with that, but
it appears Rivers, Brees and Vick will all be ahead of him as well and I am
not even all-that-annoyed by that. Take the QBs out of it. Who are the other
35 players, non-QBs, who rate higher over all? That's the area where the
argument can be made as BS. There are 35 non-QBs more valuable to an
NFL team than Ben? BS. Even our own Troy Polamalu isn't more valuable
to a team than Ben is. No way. And Troy would be one player who one
could argue is deserving to be up there.

Atlanta Dan
06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Apparently Philip Rivers (the replacement for Carson Palmer as the media darling QB who has never played in a Super Bowl) was ranked at #26 in the NFL Network rankings of best active players

Peter King has this spot on response

I think for the players who voted Philip Rivers the 26th-best player in the NFL and Ben Roethlisberger the 41st, I give you these little facts:

Won-lost record: Roethlisberger 69-26, Rivers 55-25.
Playoff record: Roethlisberger 10-3, Rivers 3-4.
Super Bowl wins: Roethlisberger 2, Rivers 0.
Touchdowns: Roethlisberger 144, Rivers 136.

I mean, just saying.:thumbsup:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/06/19/mmqb/4.html

zulater
06-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Mike Vick's lifetime qb rating is Kordell like, the fact that he's rated above Ben tells you all you need to know about the validity of the list.

SH-Rock
06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Apparently Philip Rivers (the replacement for Carson Palmer as the media darling QB who has never played in a Super Bowl) was ranked at #26 in the NFL Network rankings of best active players

Peter King has this spot on response

I think for the players who voted Philip Rivers the 26th-best player in the NFL and Ben Roethlisberger the 41st, I give you these little facts:

Won-lost record: Roethlisberger 69-26, Rivers 55-25.
Playoff record: Roethlisberger 10-3, Rivers 3-4.
Super Bowl wins: Roethlisberger 2, Rivers 0.
Touchdowns: Roethlisberger 144, Rivers 136.

I mean, just saying.:thumbsup:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/06/19/mmqb/4.html

It's the explosive offense that San Diego brings and Rivers became a starter in 2006 while Ben became a starter his first year. It's a passing league and Rivers excels at that.

thumper
06-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok, here are the players ranked above Ben so far.

http://top100.nfl.com/

All great players. But are all these guys really better
players than Ben?

What is the criteria? There isn't a single player on that list ahead
of Ben who I would take over Ben if I was starting a team today.
Not one. Not a single one of them could create more wins than
Ben could. I really don't care a bit. Just making the comment
that they some how got this so wrong. Ben is top 20 if not
top 10. No way is he any lower than a top 5 QB. I have him
as top 3 or 4. Rivers doesn't deserve to be higher than Ben.

cloppbeast
06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Ben should probably be ranked lower, actually. Ben is a good player, but he is extremely overrated because of his team. The Steelers went to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them; QBs on winning teams are mostly always overrated. If Ben were drafted by the Lions he wouldn't even be on this list.