PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated Steelers in modern era

thumper
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
There are many reasons players get underrated:

1.) They are on bad teams.
2.) They are on teams who don't win div or conf. championships, let
alone a world title.
3.) They come along after Hall-of-Fame level players just retired before them.

With that understanding in mind, considering the following players as some
of the most underrated in Pgh modern-era football.

- Frankie Pollard. Tough little runner but came on the heals of the four-time
SB winning teams (that is the case for most all on this list). Had Frankie
been on the Bill Parcells' Giant teams, he'd probably have done every
bit as well as Joe Morris in his day. If he was in his prime on the Steelers'
SB teams and Franco not been there? I think they would have still won 4
trophies.

- Louie Lipps. Very good WR on very bad teams. Had the likes of Cliff Stoudt
and Mark Malone throwing him the ball. Are you serious? Had zero talent
around him. Oh wait, he did have David Woodley throwing to him as a rookie.

- Ernie Mills. Not a great player by any means, but easily forgotten when he
was a pretty solid player, in my opinion.

- Donnie Shell. He was valued by most of us who watched during his tenure
but his name doesn't come up much for the level of quality player he was.

- Robin Cole - see above.

- Earnest Jackson. Most won't even know who he was, but he was our best
back on a very bad team. We got him for "a warm 6-pack" according to Buddy
Ryan, and he was only the starting back for a year, but he was underrated. Not
a bad back at all.

- Hardy Nickerson. Left early to play in Tampa, but when he was here, he was
a darn good LB.

- Dwayne Woodruff. Good CB who played on mostly bad teams.

Who you got?

Players who don't belong on this list: Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, Eric
Green, Neil O'Donnell, Delton Hall, Bam Morris, Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone,
Kent Graham, Kordell Stewart (who just got married; can you say "beard?),
Dwayne Washington, Chad Scott, Jermaine Stephens, et al.

stb_steeler
06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I liked Chad Scott.......

thumper
06-06-2011, 08:49 PM

He seemed very promising after his rookie year but then
had the knee, and gained some weight and never seemed
right again. I thought he was horrible for most of his career,
but Cowher just stubbornly kept him around - because that's
what Bill did: act the pighead.

StainlessStill
06-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Even though he had an magnificent year in his rookie season, Scott had a lower leg/knee injury that stifled his career. Even though he got burned quite often (Chard Scott) he had that "IT" factor when anticipating a pick sick and taking one to the house. I seen the dude come up with big interception, pick six, and another interception in multiple games during his career.

With that said, the most recent Steeler that I always thought was vastly underrated was DeShea Townsend. The dude was always in the right place at the right time and barely made any mistakes during his tenure here in Pittsburgh. He always bailed us out in horrid situations and played exceptionally well in big games. DeShea is a fan favorite in my book.

An honorable mention would have to be Willie Williams. That tackle he made in the 1995 AFC Championship game sealed our fait for Super Bowl XXX. If Willie wasn't there, no trip to the Super Bowl. Amazing play (where he wasn't even supposed to be there.) If he wasn't there, TD for Indianapolis- game over.

steeltheone
06-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Chad Scott was a number 1 pick.....there ends the underrated talk.....He never lived up to that billing.

thumper
06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Even though he had an magnificent year in his rookie season, Scott had a lower leg/knee injury that stifled his career. Even though he got burned quite often (Chard Scott) he had that "IT" factor when anticipating a pick sick and taking one to the house. I seen the dude come up with big interception, pick six, and another interception in multiple games during his career.

With that said, the most recent Steeler that I always thought was vastly underrated was DeShea Townsend. The dude was always in the right place at the right time and barely made any mistakes during his tenure here in Pittsburgh. He always bailed us out in horrid situations and played exceptionally well in big games. DeShea is a fan favorite in my book.

An honorable mention would have to be Willie Williams. That tackle he made in the 1995 AFC Championship game sealed our fait for Super Bowl XXX. If Willie wasn't there, no trip to the Super Bowl. Amazing play (where he wasn't even supposed to be there.) If he wasn't there, TD for Indianapolis- game over.

Some good ones there, stainless.I remember when Cowher benched Willy Williams when that huge WR from Detroit, Herman Moore, ate Willy's lunch (Willy being a short CB and Moore being a giant) but after which, Cowher corrected
himself saying, "Moore does that to every CB he faces" and put Willy
back as a starter.

I also like Pee Wee (Pegram), but he wasn't on the team very long. Always seems to make the first down when we needed it. I also think we could add Merrill Hoge to
this list.

MDSteel15
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Hoge carried those teams!

stb_steeler
06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
DeShea Townsend was good...no aurgument there.....:thumbsup:

steelcityboyz
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I always liked Yancy Thigpen, he made some great catches.

StainlessStill
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
How about Dan Kreider? If I can remember correctly, I'll never forget his first carry I think against Oakland in 2000 to where he ran up the middle and just destroyed atleast 9 Raiders in his path. I LOVED Kreider. It was no coincidence that after Kreider left, that our running game took a HUGE step backwards. I'd LOVE to see a runner like Mendenhall with the kind of burst he has run behind a brick-wall like Kreider in his prime. Always loved his pan-caking of Ray-Ray.

StainlessStill
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I always liked Yancy Thigpen, he made some great catches.

Thigpen is defiantly worthy of being on the list of Steeler greats. He never really had anyone to throw him the ball since he had NO elite quarterback throwing him the ball throughout his career so it would have been nice to see Thig play with a solid QB. Of course, ALL Steelers wideouts had to endure the run first, pass third mentality but Thigpen always put up great numbers like Hines before departing. Very reliable go to guy.

As great as Thigpen was and that GREAT tip-toe catch in the '97 New England game, the catch goes to Ernie Mills in the '95 Championship Game where he dragged his toe on the one yard line on that double move. My ALL-TIME favorite catch, hands down.

DanRooney
06-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Ben Roethlisberger. 41st best player in the league and they're still clearly underrating him.

Fire Arians
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
louis lipps!

hoge is a good pick too

also how about darren perry? that guy was a solid ballhawk for his entire career with pitt. never once made the pro bowl though he probably deserved it.

thumper
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Thigpen is defiantly worthy of being on the list of Steeler greats. He never really had anyone to throw him the ball since he had NO elite quarterback throwing him the ball throughout his career so it would have been nice to see Thig play with a solid QB. Of course, ALL Steelers wideouts had to endure the run first, pass third mentality but Thigpen always put up great numbers like Hines before departing. Very reliable go to guy.

As great as Thigpen was and that GREAT tip-toe catch in the '97 New England game, the catch goes to Ernie Mills in the '95 Championship Game where he dragged his toe on the one yard line on that double move. My ALL-TIME favorite catch, hands down.

:thumbsup:

Wallace108
06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I have to agree with Thigpen and Townsend. I would have liked to have seen Thigpen stay in Pittsburgh longer.

steeltheone
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Hoge carried those teams!

Hoge was an animal...4 yards up the gut!!y!

thumper
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Ben Roethlisberger. 41st best player in the league and they're still clearly underrating him.

I don't know. That list had him too low, but overall, Ben gets a lot
of gloss; not as much as Brady, Manning, Brees - but he does
get a lot of mention. Hard to say he is underrated over all. Plenty
of media guys don't bust his shine. Skip Bayless is always saying
he is one of the best QBs there are.

thumper
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
louis lipps!

hoge is a good pick too

also how about darren perry? that guy was a solid ballhawk for his entire career with pitt. never once made the pro bowl though he probably deserved it.

I don't know. Perry was solid but not really probowl level. He wasn't a monster
hitter nor did he make all that many plays. Just solid. And when you are on a
team with Lake and Woodson, his play paled in comparison to those super
stars.

thumper
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Hoge was an animal...4 yards up the gut!!y!

Remember the season (1989?) where Pgh went on a late season and
play off run? They had the heavily-favored Broncos on the run, with Hoge
running buck wild that game. One of the Bronco players was miked and
said, "We got to stop that HO-ge (pronounced with a "HO" sound) and
his teammate said, "It's Hoge" and the other said, "I don't care what his name
is, we got to stop him!"

They ended up losing that game. But they were unexpectedly hot by seasons
end. It was Noll's "last hurrah." He had a losing season the next, and then Cowher
came in and took over that team and posted a much-unexpected 11-5 run in '92.

Concussions ended his career. I think he spent 1 more in Chicago but
he was toast.

zulater
06-18-2011, 08:24 PM
, Mark Bruener, Tunch Ilkin, Wayne Gandy, Marvel Smith, Levon Kirkland ( should have been MVP of SB XXX) and Ryan Clark all come to mind as being underrated right off the top of my head.

solardave
06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
He seemed very promising after his rookie year but then
had the knee, and gained some weight and never seemed
right again. I thought he was horrible for most of his career,
but Cowher just stubbornly kept him around - because that's
what Bill did: act the pighead.

I agree with everything you said.

thumper
06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree with everything you said.

Thanks. Someone else in here said every single thing I claim is wrong.
But I think they were a dead head, so......:rofl:

Every dead head I know has perception issues. I went to one
Dead concert and it explained everything. :chuckle:

55BaileyFan
06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
How about Dan Kreider? If I can remember correctly, I'll never forget his first carry I think against Oakland in 2000 to where he ran up the middle and just destroyed atleast 9 Raiders in his path. I LOVED Kreider. It was no coincidence that after Kreider left, that our running game took a HUGE step backwards. I'd LOVE to see a runner like Mendenhall with the kind of burst he has run behind a brick-wall like Kreider in his prime. Always loved his pan-caking of Ray-Ray.

I agree. I think that Tomlin let him go for Carey Davis and most Steeler fans probably questioned why in the hell he did that. Kreider made our run game amazing and was hugely underrated.

I have to say Chidi Iuwoma...yeah, shot out of a cannon. Our return coverage teams were so much better with him on the field. I loved this guy, he had an amazing motor. Other guys...how about Chris Hoke. I remember a time when people even forgot he was on the roster and then he steps up and plays great when we needed him.

stb_steeler
06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Should of kept John Kuhn........He was Kreider like!

StainlessStill
06-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree. I think that Tomlin let him go for Carey Davis and most Steeler fans probably questioned why in the hell he did that. Kreider made our run game amazing and was hugely underrated.

I have to say Chidi Iuwoma...yeah, shot out of a cannon. Our return coverage teams were so much better with him on the field. I loved this guy, he had an amazing motor. Other guys...how about Chris Hoke. I remember a time when people even forgot he was on the roster and then he steps up and plays great when we needed him.

Chidi was the man. I loved watching him in person and he was virtually in on every special teams tackle. Would ease through defense with ease. A nice little-player, very Steeler-like move who ultimately had his piece of the puzzle that helped the Pittsurgh Steelers win. The new Chidi Iuwoma is Anthony Madison.

Can't say enough about Hokie-Pokie. The dude was one of the better backups in the league and could have started and would have been productive on most teams in need. When Hamp when down in '04 and other times within the seasons, Hoke stepped in and didn't miss a beat. Nice guy too, one of the nicest I've ever met.

bornaSteelersfan
06-20-2011, 02:10 AM
What about Charlie Batch? I know he isn't a great QB anymore and he is definitely getting too old to play, but he always steps in when we need him. Last year when Dixon and Leftwich got injured, he stepped in and helped us win a couple of games that began our unlikely run to the Supewrbowl. I think he deserves more credit than he gets.

StainlessStill
06-20-2011, 06:06 AM
What about Charlie Batch? I know he isn't a great QB anymore and he is definitely getting too old to play, but he always steps in when we need him. Last year when Dixon and Leftwich got injured, he stepped in and helped us win a couple of games that began our unlikely run to the Supewrbowl. I think he deserves more credit than he gets.

Meh, Charlie is who he is. I don't think he's underrated at all. I think he's right where Steelers fans rank him. Much respected. Last year, I knew a PLETHORA, including myself, who screamed for Batch to start over Dixon because of the his past accomplishments and history of him managing the offense in absent of Roethlisberger. Is he underrated as a QB overall? Possibly but I know Steelers fans respect the shit out of him and hope he makes the team for one more year.

thumper
06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

I totally agree with Hoke. Whenever he is called into action he
actually improves the D in some ways, by getting to the QB. And
he has a great 'tude. Super asset to the team.

thumper
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Carey Davis has done nothing. Kreider was a great fit for this team.
Sad.

cloppbeast
06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Niel O'Donnell. Very respectable quarterback. You wouldn't confuse him with John Elway, but you don't expect a superstar QB with a second round pick. He was a solid quarterback and did quite well for the Steelers. He doesn't deserve the shit he gets in Pittsburgh.

MDSteel15
06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
:hatsoff:I don't know. Perry was solid but not really probowl level. He wasn't a monster
hitter nor did he make all that many plays. Just solid. And when you are on a
team with Lake and Woodson, his play paled in comparison to those super
stars.

That is why he was UNDERRATED! :hatsoff:

thumper
06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
:hatsoff:

That is why he was UNDERRATED! :hatsoff:

I don't know. To me, he got the recognition his play deserved:
not all that much. I guess the best thing you can say about him
is he didn't screw up - usually was where he was supposed to
be, but that's about it. Well, he had 32 picks, which is tied for
7th in the franchise. But that # was certainly aided by having
Lloyd, Greene, Brown, Kirkland, Woodson, Lake roaming
around. He was a decent role player.

Jimmy Shaker
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Has Mike Merriweather been mentioned?

thumper
06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Has Mike Merriweather been mentioned?

No. Probably because of the way he left. Plus, he didn't do much
in MN when he got there, either. He only had 10 sacks in 4 years
at MN. In 1984, he had 15 sacks in that season alone. Wow.

Jimmy Shaker
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
No. Probably because of the way he left. Plus, he didn't do much
in MN when he got there, either. He only had 10 sacks in 4 years
at MN. In 1984, he had 15 sacks in that season alone. Wow.

He was a bright spot on some pretty bad Steelers teams.

thumper
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
He was a bright spot on some pretty bad Steelers teams.

Those teams were pretty bad but still had pretty decent defenses.
I remember in the late 80s we beat a SF team in Pgh who only lost
one other game all that season. The D was stellar that day
vs. a very explosive SF team, in 1987.

Jimmy Shaker
06-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Those teams were pretty bad but still had pretty decent defenses.
I remember in the late 80s we beat a SF team in Pgh who only lost
one other game all that season. The D was stellar that day
vs. a very explosive SF team, in 1987.

I recall. That was one of the best games of the 80's.

I was just trying to come up with someone who hadn't been mentioned. Merriweather was a beast for 3 seasons.

steelerchad
06-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Donnie Shell.
Violent hitter overshadowed by a lot of greatness around him.
Aaron Smith.
Very under rated for most of his career around the league. Steeler fans know his true value. He's pretty much done now, but he had a very nice career.
Carnell Lake.
Did it all, but played 2nd fiddle to one of the all time greats in Woodson.

thumper
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Donnie Shell.
Violent hitter overshadowed by a lot of greatness around him.
Aaron Smith.
Very under rated for most of his career around the league. Steeler fans know his true value. He's pretty much done now, but he had a very nice career.
Carnell Lake.
Did it all, but played 2nd fiddle to one of the all time greats in Woodson.

Agreed with Shell and Smith. Aaron has been around a long time,
really offering a ton of quality play, but not the kind that builds up
any stats, but production none the less.

Lake was truly great. How many safeties can play quality CB when
called upon? For a safety to play man-to-man on the outside going
against a top NFL WR is asking a lot, but he did it because the
team needed him to. I put him in the category of Woodson, Lloyd
and that's about it, in that Lake could make a clutch, game-winning
play when it was needed. I have seen all three of them do that
time and time again - making a clutch sack or int when the game was
in the balance. Only true great players can do that. Troy also can
do that. Harrison as well. Very rare.

ben2hines=6
06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
hoke, been nothing short of awesome in a backup role to the big snack

Rick5895
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I am sure there are lots who will disagree, but Beltin Delton Hall was a guy I liked watching. Same with Jerry Olsavsky, tough inside backer who was great on specials.