PDA

View Full Version : Paging Capt. Obvious

thumper
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
PIT - WR Limas Sweed will need good preseason to make team

Source: ESPN.com - James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Limas Sweed likely will have to perform well during the preseason and show that he is recovered from the Achilles' tendon injury he suffered last offseason if he wants to make the final roster. Sweed appears to be the No. 6 wide receiver on the depth chart at this point.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Sweed has never lived up to his draft status, and this is certainly a make or break camp for him. Injuries and personal/emotional issues have held him back to this point. Coming back from an Achilles' injury has proven difficult for any player sustaining the injury and we don't feel Sweed will make enough of an impact to make the final roster.

I didn't like Sweed's chances BEFORE he blew out his Achilles' tendon.
Now that he has sustained such a severe injury, I really doubt he will
contribute jack boogers.

He won't make the team.

Ward
Brown
Sanders
Wallace - all given.

2 spots left.

Randle El and Battle not given, for sure. Word is they are interested in
looking at signing Brian Finneran (ATL) if the lock out ends. I would like
that signing very much.

StainlessStill
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
The problem with Limas Sweed is that he is a SECOND round draft pick so time is ticking for Limas. The cards were even stacked against him last year to make the team but heading into this season, it's all about being absolute flawless in Training Camp and then having a REMARKABLE mistake-free pre-season to boot in the early pre-season games. Those games are tremendously enormous for Limas and he'll have to tear it up but IMHO, they will give him a good look since he IS a second round pick (value) and also had a solid camp last year to build on before injuring his foote.

kirklandrules
06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
I remember seeing quite a few articles during last year's mini camp of how good Limas was playing. It's a sad case because he definitely had all the talent, but just had a fagile ego. I tend to root for all players trying to make the team because if they do then they should help make the team better. If Limas were to overcome these issues his talent could really provide a lift ... and give Ben the tall receiver he always seems to request. But the odds are stacked against him.

steelerchad
06-08-2011, 09:25 AM
If Sweed could somehow develop into a solid big possession receiver then I would really like our receiving corps with 4 young guys all with different abilities.
Sweed- Big, possession
Wallace- Deep Threat
Sanders- Slot
Brown- 4th option on passing downs and returns.

tunes4life
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
If Sweed could somehow develop into a solid big possession receiver then I would really like our receiving corps with 4 young guys all with different abilities.

Yes, I second that motion. I always had high hopes for Sweed, he seems like a good kid. The lack of Spring training and possibly a shortened training camp may tip the scales against him even more. I'll give him a 10% chance of making the team, and it's only that high because of his draft value and the fact that he did look really good before getting injured last year.

I feel for the guy. :hug:

thumper
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Sweed- Big, possession
Wallace- Deep Threat
Sanders- Slot
Brown- 4th option on passing downs and returns.

Our WR corp would be mucho kick assio if Sweed became what
he was drafted to become. But he is not a possession WR and I
don't know if he can become one. His deal was to go deep, not
run curl or hook routes or things associated with possession WRs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ2cZuHxw

I see him more like a Burress type of WR. He is big but goes downfield
and makes plays by jumping and grabbing passes but downfield, which
would be awesome if he could provide what he did in TX. But look at
the midgets who were covering him in that vid. Yea, his size makes them
look smaller but the competition upgrade in the NFL has a lot to do with
him dropping so many balls. He isn't as confident he can beat them like
he did the non-NFL caliber CBs he faced in college.

But....even if he was on a comeback, a torn Achilles is hard to any athlete
to over come, not to mention a position like WR where your wheels mean
everything. I remember when Dan Marino tore his, and he never moved
much to begin with, certainly never sprinted. And it was even hard for him
to over come.

thumper
06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
The problem with Limas Sweed is that he is a SECOND round draft pick so time is ticking for Limas. The cards were even stacked against him last year to make the team but heading into this season, it's all about being absolute flawless in Training Camp and then having a REMARKABLE mistake-free pre-season to boot in the early pre-season games. Those games are tremendously enormous for Limas and he'll have to tear it up but IMHO, they will give him a good look since he IS a second round pick (value) and also had a solid camp last year to build on before injuring his foote.

Stainless, I agree with your points. He WILL get another chance, because

1.) He was a 2nd round pick.
2.) They could really use a big body who can catch downfield. Imagine
our WR corp if he could become the player they thought they were
getting when they draft him? Wow. Our O would be amazing. They
couldn't put a safety over the top of most WRs, with Wallace and
Sweed both commanding double coverage. Can't double everyone.

stb_steeler
06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Stainless, I agree with your points. He WILL get another chance, because

1.) He was a 2nd round pick.
2.) They could really use a big body who can catch downfield. Imagine
our WR corp if he could become the player they thought they were
getting when they draft him? Wow. Our O would be amazing. They
couldn't put a safety over the top of most WRs, with Wallace and
Sweed both commanding double coverage. Can't double everyone.

Who said Sweed can catch? they wasted enough time on this draft pick, time to move on.....

thumper
06-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Who said Sweed can catch? they wasted enough time on this draft pick, time to move on.....

He could catch in college; highlight real is long and meaningful. But he
has never been able to catch in the NFL so far.

StainlessStill
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Sometimes rookies get accustomed to the life of the NFL (Pouncey) and some don't, atleast right away in Limas's case. The guy got the tools (without a question of a doubt) but when a player lacks confidence and isn't sure what's going on as a whole and just can't adjust to NFL-life right away, then your body isn't as crisp and acts as its own mental block. This is Limas's case. WR's in the NFL, esp rookies, are tested to the max and is the hardest position to learn on the field other than obviously, quarterback.

If Limas has a solid camp, it'll come down to him and someone like Battle for the final roster spot.

stb_steeler
06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
If the Steelers were to release Sweed today, he'd be worth nothing to the market. Lets face it the guy has 2 left hands.

finesward
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
He could catch in college; highlight real is long and meaningful. But he
has never been able to catch in the NFL so far.

To be fair his drops have been much more memorable than his catches. He's made a few tough catches over the middle and in traffic, it's the couple (and infamous afccg) drops that have followed him. Remember he was thrust into the spotlight during that game with hines twisting his knee. That's huge for any player and I guess he just wasn't ready. Hopefully he can recover from the achilles injury (doubtful) and use it as motivation to earn his spot on the team. I don't think he will ever be the player we drafted him to be, but still he could hold some value as depth. Look at the WR for the bills that had that eerily similar drop against us in overtime. He's not going to fall of the face of the earth, he's a very talented receiver and will probably bounce back just fine. Maybe him and limas should become friends :hug:

thumper
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
To be fair his drops have been much more memorable than his catches. He's made a few tough catches over the middle and in traffic, it's the couple (and infamous afccg) drops that have followed him. Remember he was thrust into the spotlight during that game with hines twisting his knee. That's huge for any player and I guess he just wasn't ready. Hopefully he can recover from the achilles injury (doubtful) and use it as motivation to earn his spot on the team. I don't think he will ever be the player we drafted him to be, but still he could hold some value as depth. Look at the WR for the bills that had that eerily similar drop against us in overtime. He's not going to fall of the face of the earth, he's a very talented receiver and will probably bounce back just fine. Maybe him and limas should become friends :hug:

The Bills' receiver you mention (Johnson) had many, many huge plays before
he dropped that pass. The guy had 1073 yards and 10 TDs. When has LS
ever had #s like that in the pros? Steve Johnson dropped one pass but put
up those kinds of #s on a team lacking much talent any where else. It's not
even close. SJ will go onto have a great career. LS will be lucky to even stay
in the NFL this season. Johnson exploded on the scene.

Steve Johnson 82 grabs, 1073 yrds, 10 TDs

Johnson may be every bit as good as our Wallace.

thumper
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
If the Steelers were to release Sweed today, he'd be worth nothing to the market. Lets face it the guy has 2 left hands.

But he could catch in college.

stb_steeler
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Yes he could.....dont know why its different in the Pros for him...

BigRick
06-09-2011, 10:49 PM

Yeah so what. Ryan Leaf could pass in college look where he's at. Face it Sweed ain't in college anymore. I had high hopes for him when he got drafted. If he can't produce in camp and pre-season if we have one, dump him and move on.:helmet:

austinfrench76
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, I keep seeing people talk about Burress. Well, we have our "Burress" tyoe in Sweed (without the jail time and holes in his leg). I don't know how everyone doesn't at least PULL for Sweed. Opinion is one thing but I HOPE the guy makes the team. I don't know if he will ever be wirth a damn but I AM PULLING for him!

thumper
06-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Ok, I keep seeing people talk about Burress. Well, we have our "Burress" tyoe in Sweed (without the jail time and holes in his leg). I don't know how everyone doesn't at least PULL for Sweed. Opinion is one thing but I HOPE the guy makes the team. I don't know if he will ever be wirth a damn but I AM PULLING for him!

I don't think any fans are _not_ pulling for him. It's just that how long
to you hold on to hope when a player has shown NOTHING after how
many years? Drafted in 2008. We are headed into 2011 and he hasn't done
a gad dang thing.

Players drafted after Sweed (who we could have grabbed)

54 Jason Jones Titans DE Eastern Michigan
24 55 Ray Rice Ravens RB Rutgers
3 1 64 Kevin Smith Lions RB Central Florida
6 69 Jacob Hester Chargers RB Louisiana State
10 73 Jamaal Charles Chiefs RB Texas
11 74 Dan Connor Panthers LB Penn State
18 81 Early Doucet Cardinals WR Louisiana State
20 83 Jeremy Zuttah Buccaneers G Rutgers
26 89 Steve Slaton Texans RB West Virginia
28 91 Jermichael Finley Packers TE Texas
29 92 Cliff Avril Lions DE Purdue
32 95 Mario Manningham Giants WR Michigan
34 97 Andre Caldwell

Oh, and after we drafted Sweed, they made the genius pick of Bruce
Davis. Brilliant.

bubbletownwr88
06-11-2011, 08:38 PM
You can't compare ryan leaf to limas. qb from college to nfl completely different. catching in midget football is the same as catching in the nfl. i mean your gonna get hit harder in the nfl but if that's what he's worried about he's just a ***** hahaha

thumper
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
You can't compare ryan leaf to limas. qb from college to nfl completely different. catching in midget football is the same as catching in the nfl. i mean your gonna get hit harder in the nfl but if that's what he's worried about he's just a ***** hahaha

I can't agree completely. You may be able to get separation in high
school and college, but once you get to the NFL, going up against
all CBs who can run, you may find yourself no longer getting open, when
you once did. It's not like playing WR is the same at all levels. It's not.

Jimmy Shaker
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Sweed hasn't made the most of his opportunities but his opportunities have been slim.

I still have hope.

finesward
06-18-2011, 01:46 PM
The Bills' receiver you mention (Johnson) had many, many huge plays before
he dropped that pass. The guy had 1073 yards and 10 TDs. When has LS
ever had #s like that in the pros? Steve Johnson dropped one pass but put
up those kinds of #s on a team lacking much talent any where else. It's not
even close. SJ will go onto have a great career. LS will be lucky to even stay
in the NFL this season. Johnson exploded on the scene.

Steve Johnson 82 grabs, 1073 yrds, 10 TDs

Johnson may be every bit as good as our Wallace.

Ok, wasn't really trying to compare them based on stats, only from having a big-time drop.
Johnson was/is the premiere WR on the Bills, he has had many many more opportunities than LS has had. I didn't make the connection that somehow LS will be as productive as johnson, you made an assumption. They are both very talented receivers, one who has gotten opportunities and made the most of them and one who hasn't. I'm hoping he can put it all together this year and show why he was drafted so high.

thumper
06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok, wasn't really trying to compare them based on stats, only from having a big-time drop.
Johnson was/is the premiere WR on the Bills, he has had many many more opportunities than LS has had. I didn't make the connection that somehow LS will be as productive as johnson, you made an assumption. They are both very talented receivers, one who has gotten opportunities and made the most of them and one who hasn't. I'm hoping he can put it all together this year and show why he was drafted so high.

This what you wrote.

Look at the WR for the bills that had that eerily similar drop against us in overtime. He's not going to fall of the face of the earth, he's a very talented receiver and will probably bounce back just fine. Maybe him and limas should become friends

FACT is, Johnson EARNED his way into playing time and getting
balls thrown his way. Sweed was given more than enough "chances"
to EARN his way to more playing time and all he did was NOT give
the coaches any confidence that he is worth having on the field and
throwing balls his way. You act as if Johnson got the opportunity
and Sweed did not. That is total horse shit. True, Sweed got hurt
last year and hence had zero opportunity. But he sure had the chances
before that, and he dropped the ball nearly every time he was given a
chance to make a play. Johnson had a horrid drop (thank God) and
lost the game for the Bills, but he put up over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs
last year. Sweed has never put up jack shit. Johnson is an upcoming
star in this league. Sweed will likely not even be in the league by kick
off this season.

finesward
06-18-2011, 02:32 PM
This what you wrote.

off this season.

If you think johnson didn't have a better opportunity of getting more balls thrown his way after T.O left than maybe you should try and remember that we had 2 SB MVP's ahead of sweed as well as our new #1 wallace competing with him. Sweed did get his opportunity when ward got hurt in the AFCG (see my OP) and he dropped the ball. He should look to johnson for comfort (my original point which you somehow managed to argue into something else) as johnson is also a very talented receiver who made a huge drop and will likely bounce back. (which you agree)

do we really need to do this again? :hatsoff:

steelerchad
06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
This what you wrote.

off this season.

I've got to disagree somewhat here. Sure, I think everyone would say Johnson is the more accomplished player based on last years stats. But he was handed that opportunity by the fact that the Bills had no receivers in 2010. Look at Johnsons first 2 years. Basically nothing, same as Sweed. Sweed would have finally had his chance with Santonio gone in 2010 but got a season ending injury. Sweed had a Ward in his prime and Holmes in front of him. Then Wallace emerged into a great rookie with blazing speed. But as a #3 Wallace only had 30 something catches in 09. If Sweed could have gotten on the field he may have put up similar #'s. Something else to think about is the Bills are always racking up yards late in games coming from behind where Fitz and Johnson got a lot of stats.
Right now, I'd take Johnson, no question. But, I still think the jury's out on Sweed. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities, but his opportunities have been limited.

finesward
06-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Still think johnson EARNED his way into playing time having absolutely NO ONE in front of him? Once T.O left the door was wide open. Can't say the same for sweed can ya?

Didn't think so.

:hatsoff:

thumper
06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I've got to disagree somewhat here. Sure, I think everyone would say Johnson is the more accomplished player based on last years stats. But he was handed that opportunity by the fact that the Bills had no receivers in 2010. Look at Johnsons first 2 years. Basically nothing, same as Sweed. Sweed would have finally had his chance with Santonio gone in 2010 but got a season ending injury. Sweed had a Ward in his prime and Holmes in front of him. Then Wallace emerged into a great rookie with blazing speed. But as a #3 Wallace only had 30 something catches in 09. If Sweed could have gotten on the field he may have put up similar #'s. Something else to think about is the Bills are always racking up yards late in games coming from behind where Fitz and Johnson got a lot of stats.
Right now, I'd take Johnson, no question. But, I still think the jury's out on Sweed. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities, but his opportunities have been limited.

Lee Evans and Rosco Parrish are not hog wash for the Bills. Johnson
was a 7th-round pick no one heard of. He exploded on the scene last
year - totally unexpected by everyone save Johnson himself, maybe. Sweed
has sucked. His total production to date was a few short passes where
he fell to the ground. He was supposed to be Burress-level good. He got
more than a fair shot, being a 2nd-round pick they were not about to give
up on him quickly. And after a blown Achilles tendon? Good luck.

finesward
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Lee Evans and Rosco Parrish are not hog wash for the Bills.

Steve Johnson dropped one pass but put
up those kinds of #s on a team lacking much talent any where else.

herp derp :noidea: