PDA

View Full Version : Street fight: Hines vs. Sugar Ray?

thumper
06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
They posed this question on First Take this morning. If Hines
got in a street fight with Sugar Ray Leonard, who would win?
They are insane to even ask this, and Sugar Ray, who came on
the show, was in disbelief that anyone would pick Hines to win
that fight.

Skip Bayless, who's opinion is usually spot on, got it all wrong, claiming
that since Hines is 20 years younger and 40 lbs heavier (he is not that
much heavier - Skip was thinking of Sugar's fighting weight which I
doubt he is still at) that Ward would win that fight. That is patently
insane. That would be like saying Sugar Ray could be a better "backyard
football player" than Hines.

When a fighter is as skilled as Sugar Ray, even when he is older, he will
still punch the lights out of most any non-boxer, period. I saw Danny
Bonaduce try to fight him in a radio studio. Danny had had several boxing
fights in the past and was pretty ripped.

http://realityrollcall.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/danny-bonaduce.jpg

Sugar hit him with some viscous body shots and Danny was out
cold before he even knew what happened. It took about 3 seconds.
Street fight or not, Sugar would cream Hines in a fight. Please. Not to
take a shred of anything away from Hines, but non-fighters do not
beat up legendary boxers - even with some size and age advantaged.
Sugar was incredulous that anyone would pick Hines to win that
fight and I happen to agree.

fer522
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Sugar Ray would kick his ass :dizzy:

thumper
06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Sugar Ray would kick his ass :dizzy:

He would and it would be nearly instant.

steelerchad
06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Hines wouldn't be able to lay a hand on Sugar Ray. I mean. If a brutal beast like Haglar can't get a good shot on him, how in the hell could a regular guy. I mean Hines is a pro athlete and a good dancer, but boxer likely not.

thumper
06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Hines wouldn't be able to lay a hand on Sugar Ray. I mean. If a brutal beast like Haglar can't get a good shot on him, how in the hell could a regular guy. I mean Hines is a pro athlete and a good dancer, but boxer likely not.

Isn't it amazing when you soak in what a true "pro" in his area can do?
Think of how fast a MLB pitcher throws. How big and fast NFL players
are. And Ray wasn't just a pro, he was one of the best ever. Like I said
Bonaduce tried to give it a go, and it was over in a blink of an eye. Ray
just lit him up to the body with three quick shots and Danny went down
and didn't even recall what happened. And Danny fights and was on
all kinds of juice and HGH, admittedly.

Fire Arians
06-08-2011, 09:47 PM
sugar ray is a fighter, that would be no contest.

however, i doubt sugar ray could play WR 1/10 as good as hines

thumper
06-09-2011, 12:49 AM
sugar ray is a fighter, that would be no contest.

however, i doubt sugar ray could play WR 1/10 as good as hines

:thumbsup:

SoCalFan
06-09-2011, 03:00 AM
They said STREET FIGHT people!!! I had a fight with a boxer(I know,not sugar ray!) and I stomped him.We became friends later and still are! Hines is heavier and much stronger,as I was and once he gets ahold of him,well,sorry old man!!,

finesward
06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
if this isn't evidence that damnit we need football i don't know what is...

but as for op sugar ray would dominate, now if it was ali i think hines could take him :sofunny:

thumper
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
They said STREET FIGHT people!!! I had a fight with a boxer(I know,not sugar ray!) and I stomped him.We became friends later and still are! Hines is heavier and much stronger,as I was and once he gets ahold of him,well,sorry old man!!,

Well, no such things as absolutes unless we are talking physics, and
even then black holes causes exceptions there it would seem. So, how
good was this "boxer" you fought? Was he even a professional? Did
he have a winning record? I could say I am a "cyclist" because I ride
a bike most days, but would that put my in the category of touring pros?
Also, Hines and Ray are roughly the same size, frame wise; was the guy
you fought roughly your same size?

There is no evidence that Hines can or has ever fought at all. There is a huge
difference between throwing a block and fist fighting. Sugar would unleash
so many fists so fast that Hines would quickly not know where he was. He'd
never get a chance to even grab him. Being a pro at one sport almost never
translates to another, unless we are talking Bo Jackson and maybe Deion -
again, exceptions to the rule. Jordan sure as shit wasn't.

zulater
06-09-2011, 03:27 PM
All I know is that he can outdance him. :chuckle:

Fire Arians
06-10-2011, 12:05 AM

how good was this boxer though? was he as good as sugar ray? could you beat manny pacquiao's ass despite a huge size advantage? lol

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Since THUMPER is always wrong about pretty much everything, I have to vote for my fellow half-Korean brother from another mother, Hines.

Street fighting is NOT the same as boxing. Sugar Ray would be worried about good fighting stance and bobbing & weaving, while the "dirtiest player in the NFL" (so thet say) would kick him in the knee and then decleat him like he does to Ed Reed everytime they play the Ratbirds.

Nah, just kidding, Sugar Ray is NOT Ali-- who spent his days in a wheelchair, drizzling and drooling on himself. That is a pretty cut build Ray has for an "old guy"-- I work out and don't have a six-pack like that.

thumper
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Since THUMPER is always wrong about pretty much everything,

F off. Ad hominem attack without any specifics. Thats the stuff that
the lower watt IQ people offer.

Ray is NOT Ali-- who spent his days in a wheelchair, drizzling and drooling on himself. That is a pretty cut build Ray has for an "old guy"-- I work out and don't have a six-pack like that.

I do.

DFWSTEELERFAN
06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Most fights go to the ground at some point. When that happens the boxing skills are out the window,,,

:tt03:

thumper
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Most fights go to the ground at some point. When that happens the boxing skills are out the window,,,

:tt03:

The only thing that would go to the ground would be Hines after
getting hit so hard so often that his lights would go out.

zulater
06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
The only thing that would go to the ground would be Hines after
getting hit so hard so often that his lights would go out.

If this is such a certainty to you why did you make the thread in the form of a question? :noidea: Or are you Alex Trabek or aspiring to be him?

thumper
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
If this is such a certainty to you why did you make the thread in the form of a question? :noidea: Or are you Alex Trabek or aspiring to be him?

Just because you ask a question means you can't have an opinion
on which answer it likely? What kind of meds are you on?

zulater
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Just because you ask a question means you can't have an opinion
on which answer it likely? What kind of meds are you on?

None Thumper, none whatsoever.

i82much
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
This is so not even close it hardly merits discussion. It is amazing how people will contort logic to arrive at a conclusion that makes them feel warm and fuzzy on the inside b/c their favorite player gets to win.

Sugar Ray would absolutely destroy Hines Ward.

Have a look at the Vai Sikahema vs. Canseco video. Do you really think it would make any difference if that had been a street fight? And Ray Leonard - while older - is still in tremendous shape and fought at the very highest level. Not to mention his competition - Duran, Hagler, Hearns - were all-time greats.

All of whom, by the way, would also completely mangle Hines Ward in a street fight ...

kirklandrules
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Isn't it amazing when you soak in what a true "pro" in his area can do?
Think of how fast a MLB pitcher throws. How big and fast NFL players
are. And Ray wasn't just a pro, he was one of the best ever. Like I said
Bonaduce tried to give it a go, and it was over in a blink of an eye. Ray
just lit him up to the body with three quick shots and Danny went down
and didn't even recall what happened. And Danny fights and was on
all kinds of juice and HGH, admittedly.

Aside from playing the ugly kid in the Partidge Family and being a DJ, Bonaduce is nothing more than an old, washed-up, wanna-be-never-was, drug addict. Yet you compare him with professional athletes and use him as a yardstick to measure Sugar Ray's greatness? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It just goes to show you that ESPN has no content for shows like First Take. That's about the damned dumbest conversation you could have this side of My Father Can Kick Your Father's A$$ we used to hear on elementary school playgrounds. I'd rather pound my jibbs with a sledge hammer than watch that show. :smashy:

zulater
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
This is so not even close it hardly merits discussion. It is amazing how people will contort logic to arrive at a conclusion that makes them feel warm and fuzzy on the inside b/c their favorite player gets to win.

Sugar Ray would absolutely destroy Hines Ward.

Have a look at the Vai Sikahema vs. Canseco video. Do you really think it would make any difference if that had been a street fight? And Ray Leonard - while older - is still in tremendous shape and fought at the very highest level. Not to mention his competition - Duran, Hagler, Hearns - were all-time greats.

All of whom, by the way, would also completely mangle Hines Ward in a street fight ...

What possible relevance is there with a fight between a retired football player turned tv sportscaster vs. a washed up steriod addled baseball player turned sideshow? And you're out of your mind if you think Jose Canseco would kick Hines Ward's ass. Hell Canseco can't beat third rate reality series actors in a fight, and you think he'd be "mangled" by Jose? Really? :sofunny: Really???!!! :toofunny:

By the way I agree with the basic premise that Ray Leonard would probably beat Hines in a fight. But having seen Hines de-cleat 250 linebackers and taking on 290 lbs linemen head on I don't think it would be nearly as one sided as most of you suppose. Plus I've seen Hines take monster shots to the chops from the best the NFL has to offer and come up smiling, and with the freaking football still safe in his hands! . So none of you will convince me that it would be an early knockout. Hines is one tough son of a bitch, you give him a month to train and I'd wager anything he'd put on a respectable showing.

i82much
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
What possible relevance is there with a fight between a retired football player turned tv sportscaster vs. a washed up steriod addled baseball player turned sideshow?

Vai was an amateur boxer. Google is your friend buddy.

NFL hits obviously suck but come on dude. Come on. You are clinging to the outcome that makes you feel good and not using your brain.

I am almost certain this would take less than one round if Hines made any effort to stand in the ring and fight. Being tough is one thing but Hines cannot realistically defend himself from the onslaught of punches he would receive.

zulater
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Vai was an amateur boxer. Google is your friend buddy.

NFL hits obviously suck but come on dude. Come on. You are clinging to the outcome that makes you feel good and not using your brain.

I know a lot of amateur boxers, what was his record, did he ever beat anyone? a lot of people boxed, it doesn't mean they boxed any good.

Google Canseco, the guy's an absolute joke, and you say he'd "mangle" Ward. Talk about not using your brain! :doh:

i82much
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I know a lot of amateur boxers, what was his record, did he ever beat anyone? a lot of people boxed, it doesn't mean they boxed any good.

Google Canseco, the guy's an absolute joke, and you say he'd "mangle" Ward. Talk about not using your brain! :doh:

Ok - just to be clear, the Sikahema/Canseco thing was meant as an example of what happens when someone with boxing skill fights someone without it. I was not expressing any view as to a Canseco/Ward outcome.

I am fairly confident that Sikahema would also mangle Hines Ward, however.

zulater
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok - just to be clear, the Sikahema/Canseco thing was meant as an example of what happens when someone with boxing skill fights someone without it. I was not expressing any view as to a Canseco/Ward outcome.

I am fairly confident that Sikahema would also mangle Hines Ward, however.

I'd take action on that. Not saying Hines would win, but Vai's about 50, Hines would make a respecatable showing of it at least.

i82much
06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd take action on that. Not saying Hines would win, but Vai's about 50, Hines would make a respecatable showing of it at least.

I dunno man. Sikahema says he fought between 80 and 90 amateur fights. I mean obviously at some point you get old enough you won't beat anybody but I think Vai still has some gas in the tank. I don't know how old that video is, though because I am too lazy to google it again. Hypocrite, I know.

How about Hines vs. Zbikowski?