PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu Overrated?

Deserei90
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Overrated-underrated: Polamalu can't cover; Pack's' Williams can.

They love the signature hair flying out from his helmet. They love the highlight hits that make the fools on some four-letter network swoon and yell "jacked up."

They love his name. They love his game.

Troy Polamalu is an NFL darling.

He's also the league's most-overrated player.

There, I said it.

He was selected as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 -- an award I couldn't figure out -- and then disappeared in the playoffs, even getting trucked by Ray Rice of the Ravens in the playoffs.

He was a spinning top in the Super Bowl, trying to cover Packers receivers and instead watched them rip off big gains and two touchdowns on his watch.

The Packers exposed the reason I think Polamalu is overrated. He isn't great in coverage and the NFL is now a cover game.

He's a good player. He's just not great.

I've always believed he was a gambler in the back end, and good teams and smart quarterbacks could take advantage of his aggressive style, which the Packers and Aaron Rodgers did. He gets away with it against bad quarterbacks, but good ones can use his aggressive style to their advantage (See Tom Brady).

They say Polamalu had a groin issue in the playoffs, but if you're on the field, you're healthy enough to take the heat. And haven't injuries been an issue for him the past five seasons? He has played 16 games only once in five years.

That has to mean something in the rating game, doesn't it?

He's good. I just don't think he's great. That makes him overrated. I bet even some Steelers fans would concur after the playoffs.

So who's the league's most underrated?

The honor goes to a former undrafted player cut by his first team named Tramon Williams. He was the best cover player for the Super Bowl champs last year, even though most would assume it was Charles Woodson.

Talk to scouts, personnel people and even members of the Packers coaching staff and they'll all say that it's Williams who is now the better cover player. Woodson is still a ball-hawking playmaker, but he isn't the cover corner Williams is at this point in his career.

Yet Williams didn't go to the Pro Bowl.

Williams isn't mentioned on many lists as one of the top 10 corners in the game.

Williams gets slighted more than he gets beat.

That makes him the NFL's most underrated player.

Coverage is key now. That's why Williams is underrated and why Polamalu is overrated.:doh:

Now here's an underrated and overrated player for each of the league's 32 teams

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15215764/overratedunderrated-polamalu-cant-cover-but-packers-williams-can?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

I can't believe they let people like him write an article.

Atlanta Dan
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
They say Polamalu had a groin issue in the playoffs, but if you're on the field, you're healthy enough to take the heat. And haven't injuries been an issue for him the past five seasons? He has played 16 games only once in five years.

Unlike Prisco it is not my day job to keep up with what is going on with the injury status of major players, but even casual fans know Polamalu was hindered by a partially torn achilles tendon, not a "groin issue," during the playoffs - I guess Prisco also failed to keep up with Troy's plays that saved 3 games immediately prior to reaggravating the achilles injury (INT to save Buffalo game, strip sack of Flacco to turn Ravens game, pick six to turn Bengals game) when he ignores the impact of the injury on Polamalu's performance

I agree Troy's recurrring injuries are a big problem, but overrated is troll bait - Prisco is looking for page hits by making inflammatory comments - unfortunately he got one from me after I saw the link

Prisco is another example of the adage "opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one" - further reason that more and more I just watch the games and ignore the TV shows and Internet columnists blathering about what has happened orwill happen

steelax04
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Is it all that outlandish and unrealistic to even consider Troy isn't the superhero we all want to believe he is? Is he great? Yes, in a lot of game-changing moments and when it's on the line (as pointed out by Dan). Is he consistently great for 60 minutes a game? I can't say that he is anymore, for whatever reason(s) - injuries, no help in the secondary, etc.

But it's a team game and with a lack-luster supporting cast, Troy won't get back that four quarter greatness. Once he gets some help in the secondary, he could be Troy again and light some shit up. He's not a superhero and can't do it by himself.

55BaileyFan
06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I think he needs to understand football before he runs his mouth. Polamalu was hurt first off and second it is not his job to be the magnificent every single game.

Hell, I bet this guy was a backup high school football player and never suited up in any type of competitive game.

stb_steeler
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Would you rather see Troy on an opposing team, say like the Ravens?

harrison'samonster
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
the guy is welcome to his opinion. It's wrong, but he's welcome to it.

Yeah, Polamalu has had some injury problems, but to say the guy's overrated is ridiculous. With him in the game, the steelers D dominates. Without him, the whole team drops down.

And to say that Troy's not good at covering? The guy is a safety, not a cornerback. And even then, I don't see any problems when they have him covering somebody.

StainlessStill
06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Troy is so overrated that he makes the #1 defense the #1 defense so incredibly destroying. Without him, our defense is pure vanilla (ex. 2009.)

Fire Arians
06-10-2011, 12:07 AM
a future hall of famer = overrated? yeah ok pete.

DanRooney
06-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Peyton Manning through the game losing interception in his last SB. Must mean he can't throw :noidea:

Muppet13
06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
He will never be overrated!!!

Jimmy Shaker
06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Prisco is overrated. Even for CBS.

55BaileyFan
06-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Peyton Manning through the game losing interception in his last SB. Must mean he can't throw :noidea:

Exactly. I think that people have one bad game and then BOOM, they suck. He is still the top player in the league and everyone else can go to hell. I would rather have him in our secondary than anyone else.

thumper
06-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Exactly. I think that people have one bad game and then BOOM, they suck. He is still the top player in the league and everyone else can go to hell. I would rather have him in our secondary than anyone else.

Only if he's healthy. If not, he's either not on the field or hoping around
on one leg, and that - as we SAW - is not a benefit to the team. In
the Super Bowl, they actually PICKED on him and he made no plays
all day long. THAT Polamalu is not a big benefit to the team. He is a
liability. If Troy is healthy, he is an immense asset....IF!

OX1947
06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
get the facts straight moron. Troy had a tear in his Achilles.