PDA

View Full Version : Ike Risky Free Agent

55BaileyFan
06-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Jason La Canfora's article on Big Risk Free Agents

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82043b68/article/free-agency-will-be-bring-big-risk-for-teams-pursuing-these-vets?module=HP_headlines

Ike Taylor, CB: The corner is aging some himself, and this is a young man's position to say the least. There might not be a more astute team in the NFL at self scouting than the Steelers. When they are willing to let a key player go -- especially when he plays a position of need like defensive back is with them right now -- I'd be a little wary about getting full rewards from the kind of contract it will take to land him. His skill set might end up translating as more scheme specific and, given the possible limitations of the marketplace, it's going to take some big money to land him.

I think I agree with him. It is the same thing with Fernando Bryant, he was great for Jacksonville (5 ints/6 FR) was a huge free agent pick up for Detroit in 2004. I remember ESPN and other sports groups saying that this could be a huge boost for Detroit, but four seasons later he was released (only picked off two passes and that was in the fourth year in Detroit)

Some players are just products of a system Colt Brenan, Timmy Chang (NCAA Pass Yards Leader) and so on. Ike could be one of those guys because lets face it, he doesn't have lock down abilities he is good covering when he has help over the top because he can take more risks.

steeltheone
06-11-2011, 10:17 AM
He is the best corner we have had since Rod Woodson...Don't underestimate his value to this team, considering our history of bums at the CB position.

stb_steeler
06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
The bad part about this whole deal is no ones talking anything till they come to an agreement. Hopefuly its soon. I cant imagine no football this fall.:banging:

thumper
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
He is the best corner we have had since Rod Woodson...Don't underestimate his value to this team, considering our history of bums at the CB position.

Donnell Woolford?
Chad Scott - his rookie year?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.

steeltheone
06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Donnell Woolford?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.

Point proven,,,all were ok at best...Scott was a bum...Woolford was a bust fa signing...Townsend stuck around because we could not find anybody better even after he was was washed up..

steelerchad
06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Donnell Woolford?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.

Those are all reaches imo. I believe Ike has had a better career so far than any of these guys. I also disagree about the risk of signing Ike. He's a solid corner. Big, physical, he can match up well will big, strong, #2 wr's. And he never misses time due to injury. He could start for any team in the league. He's a safe bet. This team has a short window before they need a total overall at many defensive positions. This team could make another run in the next 2 years, but not without IKE.

harrison'samonster
06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I think Townsend was better than ok. I know he didn't put up big numbers or make flashy plays, but then again neither does Ike, and Ike is one hell of a great player and a very important part of this team.

bubbletownwr88
06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
oh you also forgot Ricardo Coughley i'm not bother to look up how to spell that he was the worst cb in my era next to gay

55BaileyFan
06-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Point proven,,,all were ok at best...Scott was a bum...Woolford was a bust fa signing...Townsend stuck around because we could not find anybody better even after he was was washed up..

I think you are waaaay off base. Townsend is better than Ike, even in his "washed up years" Go back to 2007 (I think) when Gay replaced Townsend (huge screw up on Tomlin's behalf) and no corner had an interception until Week 17...and it was Townsend after replacing the terrible Gay.

Scott was solid in his years with us, Dewayne Washington was solid as well. Saying Ike Taylor has been the best since Woodson is a huge stretch...huge. He has the worse hands of any corner I have ever seen. Cope (RIP) counted 14 easy drops in a single season by Taylor and he has still been prone to stupid penalties and big plays.

I think that we are under estimating him, I think we are over-estimating him because we all think that we will suck without him. If he leaves, we will be fine. The Steelers always find replacements. They have never failed us yet...if Ike wants to leave, bye.

thumper
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
PIT - Two free agent CBs could be options

Source: ESPN.com - James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers could show interest in Washington Redskins impending free-agent CB Carlos Rogers or Carolina Panthers impending free-agent CB Richard Marshall if they are not able to re-sign CB Ike Taylor.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Marshall would be a big upgrade from Taylor in terms of ball skills and playmaking ability from the CB position, but he may cost too much for the Steelers, who are usually frugal in free agency.

I'd prefer Marshall. 3 picks. 5-11, around 200 lbs. Has ball skills. Not a big name
so he could come cheaper than Ike, and maybe be better.

pete74
06-13-2011, 05:02 AM
Ike is an awesome CB for us but im willing to bet anything he wont play anywere close to as good with another team. its our system. he is a perfect fit.
with that said he hasnt made the probowl for a reason. he also only has about 2 years left playing at the level were used to seeing. he is on the wrong side of 30 so i wouldnt want to sign him to a huge contract which wouldnt leave enough for us to resign Timmons and Woodley or even Troy

thumper
06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
The latest I saw had Ike making $9-11 mill per year for 4 years. F that. No way.
If he is gonna command that type of jack, let him walk. This is the exact reason why
Pgh, NE and Philly (without any titles) continue to keep winning: They refuse to overpay
for players over 30. Pgh is very selective in regards to the very special instances of giving
contracts to players over 30: Hines Ward, Ben (when his contract is up), Farrior, Troy, Aaron
Smith (who probably should be cut this year unless he re-does his deal), etc. Even the
great Rod Woodson was sent packing at this stage. (I don't think that was the plan, but Rod
got insulted by Donahoe's negotiating techniques, where he tried to downplay Rod's
current skill level. Rod got pissed and walked, in one of the few times where Pgh _did_
make an error in letting a player go who had 4-5 good years left. It is the exception to the
rule, rather than the norm. Kevin Greene is another one, but Gildon did do very well after
KG left.)

steeltheone
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
The league is a passing league now...A cover corner is worth much more than an OLB ...I shudder to think how much worse we will be without Ike...

austinfrench76
06-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Ike is a system CB. I know i will take some shit for this but I almost want him to go elsewhere(b/c) he believe's he's worth and he will get BIG MONEY. BUT, he has been our best CB for a long time. If he wants big money though, the Steelers should pass even though we don't have a better option. I just don't want to sacrifice the future with a bad contract.

mcg24
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
The bad part about this whole deal is no ones talking anything till they come to an agreement. Hopefuly its soon. I cant imagine no football this fall.:banging:

Who needs Steelers football in the fall? The Pirates are at .500! :chuckle:

steeltheone
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Who needs Steelers football in the fall? The Pirates are at .500! :chuckle:

Go Bucco's

steeltheone
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Ike is a system CB. I know i will take some shit for this but I almost want him to go elsewhere(b/c) he believe's he's worth and he will get BIG MONEY. BUT, he has been our best CB for a long time. If he wants big money though, the Steelers should pass even though we don't have a better option. I just don't want to sacrifice the future with a bad contract.

Cover Corners work in any system:tt04:

mcg24
06-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Go Bucco's

Hey in all seriousness they are becoming very fun to watch. Their team is more battered than a Steelers offensive line but they still find ways to win ball games, in fact they are no longer at .500, but now they are above it! Who knows, maybe in October we'll have a different sport in Pittsburgh to watch that isn't called hockey or football. Hey we can all dream anyway!

Fire Arians
06-16-2011, 10:09 PM
the pirates doing well is a major surprise lol. they've been like the bengals of MLB

mcg24
06-17-2011, 01:52 PM
the pirates doing well is a major surprise lol. they've been like the bengals of MLB

Head over to the "We've Over .500" Thread in the Pirates sub forum while you still have the chance! It may not last long! :tt03:

Atlanta Dan
06-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I think this ranks him way too high, but if The New York Times Fifth Down Blog ranks Ike as the #6 CB in the league(he was not ven ranked in the top 10 by the NYT in 2010) there is some team out there who will pay him the $$$ a CB with that ranking gets - it won't be the Steelers

Top 10 Cornerbacks in N.F.L. (Last year’s cornerback ranking in parenthesis)

6. Ike Taylor, Steelers (NR)

Hindered by buttery fingers, but is a terrific run-defender and consummate stopper in both man and zone coverage

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/top-10-cornerbacks-in-n-f-l/?ref=sports

55BaileyFan
06-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I think that there are a few free agents that the Steelers can go over to hold them over till our young guys step up. Even if the corner situation is off if the pass rush is better than last year (which would make us UNSTOPPABLE) then they can mask the corners.