PDA

View Full Version : 06 Steelers MVP ???

clevestinks
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Looking way ahead, is this the year for Ben to become the next Steelers MVP? Or should he have been it in 05? Looking back over the past, three different QB`s have won the award, Bradshaw twice. My only take on Ben from last year is that he might have been our MVP, or should have been. We couldn`t beat Balt. without him. Ward had a good season, casey was solid. But we could not win without Ben. Just curious what everyone else thought.

1969 WR Roy Jefferson 1987 LB Mike Merriweather
1970 DT Joe Greene 1988 LB David Little, CB Rod Woodson
1971 LB Andy Russell 1989 WR Louis Lipps
1972 RB Franco Harris 1990 CB Rod Woodson
1973 WR Ron Shanklin 1991 LB Greg Lloyd
1974 S Glen Edwards 1992 RB Barry Foster
1975 CB Mel Blount 1993 CB Rod Woodson
1976 LB Jack Lambert 1994 LB Greg Lloyd
1977 QB Terry Bradshaw 1995 QB Neil O'Donnell
1978 QB Terry Bradshaw 1996 RB Jerome Bettis
1979 WR John Stallworth 1997 RB Jerome Bettis
1980 SS Donnie Shell 1998 LB Levon Kirkland
1981 LB Jack Lambert 1999 LB Levon Kirkland
1982 CB Dwayne Woodruff 2000 RB Jerome Bettis
1983 PK Gary Anderson 2001 QB Kordell Stewart
1984 WR John Stallworth 2002 LB Joey Porter; WR Hines Ward
1985 WR Louis Lipps 2003 WR Hines Ward
1986 LB Bryan Hinkle 2004 LB James Farrior
2005 DT Casey Hampton, WR Hines Ward

Hines86Ward
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
If Ben doesn't get it this year, then it goes to Polamalu....

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Looking way ahead, is this the year for Ben to become the next Steelers MVP? Or should he have been it in 05? Looking back over the past, three different QB`s have won the award, Bradshaw twice. My only take on Ben from last year is that he might have been our MVP, or should have been. We couldn`t beat Balt. without him. Ward had a good season, casey was solid. But we could not win without Ben. Just curious what everyone else thought.

1969 WR Roy Jefferson 1987 LB Mike Merriweather
1970 DT Joe Greene 1988 LB David Little, CB Rod Woodson
1971 LB Andy Russell 1989 WR Louis Lipps
1972 RB Franco Harris 1990 CB Rod Woodson
1973 WR Ron Shanklin 1991 LB Greg Lloyd
1974 S Glen Edwards 1992 RB Barry Foster
1975 CB Mel Blount 1993 CB Rod Woodson
1976 LB Jack Lambert 1994 LB Greg Lloyd
1977 QB Terry Bradshaw 1995 QB Neil O'Donnell
1978 QB Terry Bradshaw 1996 RB Jerome Bettis
1979 WR John Stallworth 1997 RB Jerome Bettis
1980 SS Donnie Shell 1998 LB Levon Kirkland
1981 LB Jack Lambert 1999 LB Levon Kirkland
1982 CB Dwayne Woodruff 2000 RB Jerome Bettis
1983 PK Gary Anderson 2001 QB Kordell Stewart
1984 WR John Stallworth 2002 LB Joey Porter; WR Hines Ward
1985 WR Louis Lipps 2003 WR Hines Ward
1986 LB Bryan Hinkle 2004 LB James Farrior
2005 DT Casey Hampton, WR Hines Ward

I agree Ben should have been our MVP last year. No offense to Hines Ward or Casey Hampton and its hard to argue against them. But Ben was our MVP and that was proved in the games he missed and we lost. I also agree Ben will be our 2006 team MVP.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I think it's going to be Ben or Willie, everyone seems to forget that this is still a running team, and in my opinion, the most valuable player on a running team isn't the guy who throws the ball. It's the guy who runs it.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 10:36 AM
I think it's going to be Ben or Willie, everyone seems to forget that this is still a running team, and in my opinion, the most valuable player on a running team isn't the guy who throws the ball. It's the guy who runs it.

I didn't forget we are a running team trust me. But look at the games missed last year and that truely tells you who is most valuable to the team. Ben proved that with the games he missed. Hell Marvel Smith has a case as well with the games he missed and how poorly the Oline played. But it will never go to an Olineman.

Also on Willie Parker I'm one of his biggest fans. But the fact remains he only scored 5 TD's rushing/recieving last year. Ben had 17 TD tosses and thats pretty good considering the few times Ben does pass the ball. Ben did lead the NFL in yards per attempt and passing td ratio.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Also on Willie Parker I'm one of his biggest fans. But the fact remains he only scored 5 TD's rushing/recieving last year. Ben had 17 TD tosses and thats pretty good considering the few times Ben does pass the ball. Ben did lead the NFL in yards per attempt and passing td ratio.

Fact of the matter is, you take a RB out of the game anytime you get to the 5 yrd line, and he is only going to end up with 5 TD's a year. The teams that we played when Ben was out, were a whole lot tougher than the teams we played when Willie was out. We didn't exactly handle Green Bay, granted we played at Lambeau, but they were not a solid team at all. But, I guess Ben was missing that game too, so I should just stop talking about that now. We did smoke the Brownies the next week though, with Batch starting. I think with Willie's experience he has a chance at a 1,400 12 TD season with a dozen or so receptions. We can't forget how deadly he is on those screens. Ben will have his time, I think around '08 he will start steadily winning Steeler's MVP's and be considered for league MVP. But this year is all about Willie Parker.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Fact of the matter is, you take a RB out of the game anytime you get to the 5 yrd line, and he is only going to end up with 5 TD's a year. The teams that we played when Ben was out, were a whole lot tougher than the teams we played when Willie was out. We didn't exactly handle Green Bay, granted we played at Lambeau, but they were not a solid team at all. But, I guess Ben was missing that game too, so I should just stop talking about that now. We did smoke the Brownies the next week though, with Batch starting. I think with Willie's experience he has a chance at a 1,400 12 TD season with a dozen or so receptions. We can't forget how deadly he is on those screens. Ben will have his time, I think around '08 he will start steadily winning Steeler's MVP's and be considered for league MVP. But this year is all about Willie Parker.

I know Willie was taking out of game when we reached the redzone. But he still only scored 5 times with touching the ball over 250 times including his catches. I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and I think he has a bright future. But noway he scores 12 TD's. The 1400 yards I agree with but I see around 6 or 7 TD's.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I know Willie was taking out of game when we reached the redzone. But he still only scored 5 times with touching the ball over 250 times including his catches. I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and I think he has a bright future. But noway he scores 12 TD's. The 1400 yards I agree with but I see around 6 or 7 TD's.

I don't want to sound like I am tooting the guys horn for him, but you also have to look at how the season was closed out. Yes Ben was on fire in the AFC playoffs, no doubt about that. But Willie was steady throughout the postseason. He was 2nd in rushsing behind only league MVP Shaun Alexander, and that was only by 11 yards or so, also the Bus ate up something like 180 yards as well. I like Ben, really do, but he was no where to be seen in XL. Willie Parker is, matter of fact, a game breaker. Touchdowns are a big deal, but how many of Ben's TD passes were set up by Willie run's. Heath Miller alone had 6 TD catches, and the majority of those came from 1-10 yards out. And Hines had a few goal line TD catches also. You take the Bus away (and I'm not saying Willie would score all of the Bus's touchdowns, so we will give Willie 6 of Bettis' 9) and Willie has a Pro Bowl Caliber year with at least 10 TD's.

If you look at other RB's first years as started Willie is very comparable. Hell, Jerome only had 7 TD's in his first year as a starter, with only 200 more yards than Willie. I know I may have gone waaaaaay offtrack here, but Ben is only going to be a great game management QB. If he ever turns into a Tom Brady, God help the NFL. But as long as we have Willie Parker, this is his team, and he is going to be the MVP next year.

steelcity984
05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
My friend and I started a Steelers franchise on Madden, and simulated 15 seasons. Out of those 15 seasons, Roethlisberger won MVP 13 times. YOU figure it out. Also, Jerome Bettis ran for exactly 2000 yards in the first year of the franchise.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
My friend and I started a Steelers franchise on Madden, and simulated 15 seasons. Out of those 15 seasons, Roethlisberger won MVP 13 times. YOU figure it out. Also, Jerome Bettis ran for exactly 2000 yards in the first year of the franchise.

*smacks forehead*

I have been bested by Madden..................again. Guess I have no response to that, I mean, you ran a computer game "simulation", so it obviously will be right.

There ya go guys, Ben Rothlisberger greatest QB of all time.

*smacks forehead*

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Willie Parker a game breaker yea I agree. Thats his game with that speed. But while you are tooting Willie's post season it wasn't as great as you claim. Willie had 16 carries for 38 yards against the Bengals. Willie had 17 carries for 59 yards against the Colts. Willie had 14 carries for 35 yards against the Broncos. Then in the Super Bowl Willie had 10 carries for 93 yards and a TD. Most of those yards coming on that 75 yard TD run. So Willie really didn't light it up in the post season and that was with Ben coming out and firing the football early in the playoff games.

Trust me I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and even though he has his share of 1 yard runs. I love the fact he can take it the distance on the next play. Willie proved he is our starting running back and I think he will have a very good year.

But I'm telling you. Ben will show all how good he really is this year. If you really think Ben is only going to be a great game management QB I think you are mistaken. Plus if you think this is Willie's team I have to disagree again. I don't see Willie carrying the ball more then 20 times a game. Is that a knock on him no it isn't. He just isn't the typical power back we usually employ. I know Parker compares in size to Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson. But in their primes Holmes and Faulk were among the best in the NFL. L.T. is the best back in the NFL currently. Willie Parker is a very good running back but I wouldn't put him in the class of those guys.

steelcity984
05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
hah thats right

its weird though. madden loves big ben. and he sucks in that game (his vision cone is comparable to mike vick)

steelcity984
05-21-2006, 11:57 AM
oh, and I think they generally give MVP to not only someone who performs on the field, but a clubhouse leader. At least it seems like that to me. I don't really think Willie is that much of a leader, at least not yet, so I cant see him getting team MVP unless he has an unbelievable 1800 yard season or something

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 12:03 PM
hah thats right

its weird though. madden loves big ben. and he sucks in that game (his vision cone is comparable to mike vick)

I play on allmadden and tear it up with Big Ben.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Willie Parker a game breaker yea I agree. Thats his game with that speed. But while you are tooting Willie's post season it wasn't as great as you claim. Willie had 16 carries for 38 yards against the Bengals. Willie had 17 carries for 59 yards against the Colts. Willie had 14 carries for 35 yards against the Broncos. Then in the Super Bowl Willie had 10 carries for 93 yards and a TD. So Willie really didn't light it up in the post season and that was with Ben coming out and firing the football early in the playoff games.

Trust me I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and even though he has his share of 1 yard runs. I love the fact he can take it the distance on the next play. Willie proved he is our starting running back and I think he will have a very good year.

But I'm telling you. Ben will show all how good he really is this year. If you really think Ben is only going to be a great game management QB I think you are mistaken. Plus if you think this is Willie's team I have to disagree again. I don't see Willie carrying the ball more then 20 times a game. Is that a knock on him no it isn't. He just isn't the typical power back we usually employ. I know Parker compares in size to Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson. But in their primes Holmes and Faulk were among the best in the NFL. L.T. is the best back in the NFL currently. Willie Parker is a very good running back but I wouldn't put him in the class of those guys.

I'm saying he is in their class yet either, but if you compare Marshall and LT's first years as starters to Willie's, pretty similar with the exception of TD's, and they didnt have a 280 lb. mass transportation vehicle on the sidelines waiting to score TD's.

Willie has a little more power than people give him credit for, he doesn't go down easily, the boy is rock solid. I could see him putting on 5-10 lbs of muscle this off-season, and seriously tearing the house down.

He does need to work on his recieiving out of the backfield though. I would like to see a back like him, with his speed and shiftiness, catch the ball downfield or in the flat more often. The screens are nice, but D's will be ready for them this year.

I promise you, 10-12 TD's this year, and a Pro Bowl invite (I'm going to vote 80,000 times).

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 12:06 PM
oh, and I think they generally give MVP to not only someone who performs on the field, but a clubhouse leader. At least it seems like that to me. I don't really think Willie is that much of a leader, at least not yet, so I cant see him getting team MVP unless he has an unbelievable 1800 yard season or something

I know Ben is considered a leader b/c he is the QB, but after watching the Super Bowl DVD, 1,000 times while I was deployed, I realized that Ben says some stupid shit. Being a former center, I have a lot of love for QB's, but my little sister could give better pep-speeches than Ben. I guess I should say that I do love Ben, and I was elated when they picked him up, and he is the perfect QB for this team, but he is still season away from a 3,500 yard 25 TD season. Like I said before though, when it happens, watch out NFL.

Stillers#1
05-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I play on allmadden and tear it up with Big Ben.

Duce is my man on Madden. I run the ball like 80% of the time. Look for me online on X-box sometime. teemont is my tag.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm saying he is in their class yet either, but if you compare Marshall and LT's first years as starters to Willie's, pretty similar with the exception of TD's, and they didnt have a 280 lb. mass transportation vehicle on the sidelines waiting to score TD's.

Willie has a little more power than people give him credit for, he doesn't go down easily, the boy is rock solid. I could see him putting on 5-10 lbs of muscle this off-season, and seriously tearing the house down.

He does need to work on his recieiving out of the backfield though. I would like to see a back like him, with his speed and shiftiness, catch the ball downfield or in the flat more often. The screens are nice, but D's will be ready for them this year.

I promise you, 10-12 TD's this year, and a Pro Bowl invite (I'm going to vote 80,000 times).

Well I hope your right. Thats for sure. That would be cool if could add the weight. Trust me I know he can break some tackles. The first game against the Titans he broke some tackles and gave that one Titan defender a nice stiff arm. I hope Willie's uses his natural instincts more this year. I do think he followed the orginal hole to much last year instead of maybe cutting back for a big gain. I think he will so I'm with you on the 1400 yards. Like I said I hope your right about the 10 to 12 TD's. That would be cool and mean alot of exciting long TD runs.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Duce is my man on Madden. I run the ball like 80% of the time. Look for me online on X-box sometime. teemont is my tag.

I have PS2 bro sorry. Yea you play like my brother he runs the ball non stop. I think he had Duce Staley rushing for 2500 yards and 20+TD's one year. He also turns Dan Krieder into a beast. Kreider usually ends up with 15 TD's also a year.

I pass the ball all the time. Don't get me wrong I run also. I use Willie Parker mostly. But I love throwing the pigskin. I can't wait to throw bombs to Santonio Holmes.

Blitzburgh55
05-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I say big ben gets it this year

Stillers43
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Roethlisberger on O and Polamalu on D!

Haiku_Dirtt
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
If Ben doesn't get it this year, then it goes to Polamalu....

Concur.