View Full Version : Ragone released by Texans

Stlrs4Life
05-21-2006, 10:43 AM
May 20, 2006, 2:38AM
PRO FOOTBALL

Texans release Ragone

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Texans waived third-string quarterback Dave Ragone on Friday and promoted Boston College rookie Quinton Porter to the No. 3 spot.

Ragone, 26, was a third-round draft pick by the Texans out of Louisville in 2003. He started two games that year but didn't take a snap in any regular-season games the past two years. Ragone's most recent success came when he was named the offensive MVP of NFL Europe last summer.

"Dave's a great kid, and he will play in this league," coach Gary Kubiak said. "However, he's a big, strong thrower in the pocket. And we like to move our guys around.

"So it's a matter of him going to a team where he is a better fit. In fairness to him, we wanted to let him go now so that he had time to find a team where he can succeed."

Ragone struggled during the little action he saw with the Texans. He completed 20 of 40 passes for 135 yards. He threw one interception, zero touchdown passes and was sacked eight times.

Porter, 6-4, 233 pounds, is an undrafted rookie. He was unable to get into a rhythm at Boston College because of injuries.

He redshirted the 2004 season before taking over the starting job in 2005. He started only seven games as a senior because of an ankle sprain.
megan.manfull@chron.com

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I bet Ragone is doing the dance of joy not to have to play behind that Oline anymore. David Carr has been sakced how many time since entering the NFL? I think its over 200.

Hines86Ward
05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Alright, the Texans let Tony Banks walk before the draft & now they release Ragone. Sage Rosenfels is there, but he's a 3rd-string QB at best. Who are they gonna bring in as the 2nd-string guy?? There's no way David Carr is gonna last another year behind that horrendous o-line....

Ambridge
05-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Ragone is a Ra-Goner.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Alright, the Texans let Tony Banks walk before the draft & now they release Ragone. Sage Rosenfels is there, but he's a 3rd-string QB at best. Who are they gonna bring in as the 2nd-string guy?? There's no way David Carr is gonna last another year behind that horrendous o-line....

Sage Rosenfels he is the man. Ok just kidding. But the Texans always can give Tommy Maddox a look. He is out there.

Hines86Ward
05-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Sage Rosenfels he is the man. Ok just kidding. But the Texans always can give Tommy Maddox a look. He is out there.

The funny thing is, Maddox was the first guy that popped in my head when I started to think who they could bring in :chuckle:

BB2W
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
The Bengals signed Ragone...

link: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5268

Black@Gold Forever32
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
The Bengals signed Ragone...

link: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5268

But Carson Palmer will be ready to go by week1. Thats what the Bengals keep saying. But they already signed Anthony Wright and now Ragone. Me thinking there is still some doubt about Carson Palmer being ready for the start of the season.

CantStop85
05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
But Carson Palmer will be ready to go by week1. Thats what the Bengals keep saying. But they already signed Anthony Wright and now Ragone. Me thinking there is still some doubt about Carson Palmer being ready for the start of the season.
Or maybe Anthony Wright and Doug Johnson are horrible back-ups and they need some more competition. Of course there are still question marks about Carson's status...you have to be prepared for the worst.