PDA

View Full Version : King: Tiki to Pgh

thumper
06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/20/tiki-barber-could-be-headed-for-pittsburgh/

Sometimes King just blows farts out there, with no factual support
whatsoever, and this is one of those cases. No way does Pgh
sign Tiki for many reasons.

1. Too old
2. Too high profile
3. Too much a douche
4. Too old
5. Offers nothing
6. Team disrupter
7. Thinks he's way more awesome than he is (see failed TV career)
8. Way too old

King is a clown. He occasionally gets a few things right, but he
is wrong more often than he is right.

steeltheone
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Love to have him....He is looking for a chance and to prove a point. He is down and out. Great motivators!

steelerchad
06-20-2011, 02:06 PM
He can take Moore's roster spot as far as I'm concerned. Does he have anything left? I doubt it. 5 years is a long time away. Old legs are not good at the running back position.

thumper
06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Show me the list of RBs who were any good at 36. Any?
Even if he was some how decent, he will go down with
an injury for sure.

ebsteelers
06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
hes a different 36 though, he hasn't played in a while, so he shouldnt be tired.
plus hes buddies with tomlin, hows ronde doing?

can they get a cba first?

austinfrench76
06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I would give him a chance at becoming the new 3rd down back. Just my opinion...

thumper
06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I would give him a chance at becoming the new 3rd down back. Just my opinion...

I don't see it. Even to sign to camp (if there is one) and seeing
if he can play is probably taking away from someone else who
does have a chance to make it, with 21-year-old legs instead of
36-year-old legs. Plus, the guy was a locker room cancer
and created dissension in the team. Not good. He is not
well-liked by his former teammates.

zulater
06-20-2011, 06:37 PM
While I'm not exactly expecting it, I don't think King was making things up. Someone inside the Steelers orginization with power is considering it, so if it happens, I really can't see where it would hurt? The potential benifit of Tiki taking over the role Mewelde Moore has filled the past 3 seasons could be immense. I hope it happens.

thumper
06-20-2011, 08:19 PM
While I'm not exactly expecting it, I don't think King was making things up. Someone inside the Steelers orginization with power is considering it, so if it happens, I really can't see where it would hurt? The potential benifit of Tiki taking over the role Mewelde Moore has filled the past 3 seasons could be immense. I hope it happens.

I hope Franco comes back - he could really help us. However, when
players come back, they don't do it using a time machine. I thought
Tiki was underrated his last 4 years of playing. But it's not 2005 anymore.
We won't be getting _that_ Tiki

stb_steeler
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I wouldnt bank on this happening....

zulater
06-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I hope Franco comes back - he could really help us. However, when
players come back, they don't do it using a time machine. I thought
Tiki was underrated his last 4 years of playing. But it's not 2005 anymore.
We won't be getting _that_ Tiki

Tiki may or may not have some game left. It's not a ridiculous idea to bring him to camp and see. He left the game of his own choosing, not due to injury or ineffectiveness. So while there's not much ( if any) precedent of an NFL player coming back after this long away from the game, his situation is different enough from most, that you can't look at it they way you would wityh a typical NFL player attempting a comeback.. Basically the only NFL backs that I can think of that left the game the same way that Tiki did were Barry Sanders, and Jim Brown. Had either of them decided to return to the game at the same age I'm sure there would have been plenty of potential suitors for them as well. ( btw I'm not in any way suggesting that Tiki was as good as either Brown or Sanders, just that they left the game under similair conditions)

Now as for the Steelers situation. Mewelde Moore is certainly no great shakes. To think that Tiki could still have more game than Mewelde at this point isn't that far fetched at all.

I'm guessing that King wouldn't put it out there without some sort of inside knowledge that Tomlin is very tempted to bring Tiki to camp. That doesn't mean that it will happen, or that if it does Tiki will make any sort of positive impression. He's just relaying what he's heard, so we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

Fire Arians
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Tiki may or may not have some game left. It's not a ridiculous idea to bring him to camp and see. He left the game of his own choosing, not due to injury or ineffectiveness. So while there's not much ( if any) precedent of an NFL player coming back after this long away from the game, his situation is different enough from most, that you can't look at it they way you would wityh a typical NFL player attempting a comeback.. Basically the only NFL backs that I can think of that left the game the same way that Tiki did were Barry Sanders, and Jim Brown. Had either of them decided to return to the game at the same age I'm sure there would have been plenty of potential suitors for them as well. ( btw I'm not in any way suggesting that Tiki was as good as either Brown or Sanders, just that they left the game under similair conditions)

Now as for the Steelers situation. Mewelde Moore is certainly no great shakes. To think that Tiki could still have more game than Mewelde at this point isn't that far fetched at all.

I'm guessing that King wouldn't put it out there without some sort of inside knowledge that Tomlin is very tempted to bring Tiki to camp. That doesn't mean that it will happen, or that if it does Tiki will make any sort of positive impression. He's just relaying what he's heard, so we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

agree. no harm in letting the guy try out and see what he's got left.

zulater
06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Actually the closest paralell to Tiki might be Ricky Williams who was out of the NFL a couple years due to "personal habits". He's had a pretty good second run with the Dolphins, so who knows, maybe this isn't so far fetched after all?

thumper
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Actually the closest paralell to Tiki might be Ricky Williams who was out of the NFL a couple years due to "personal habits". He's had a pretty good second run with the Dolphins, so who knows, maybe this isn't so far fetched after all?

Isn't Ricky a tad younger than Tiki? OK, I checked; he's 2 years younger.
Not a ton. But still younger. But I agree Ricky has looked good to me
including last season. Maybe not a 30-carry work horse, but definitely
still can play.

steeltheone
06-21-2011, 03:17 AM
I love it when every player over 32 is old and beat up except for the ones currently on our roster.

thumper
06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I love it when every player over 32 is old and beat up except for the ones currently on our roster.

That's not really a fair comparison. We are talking about a RUNNING
BACK who is 36. We don't have any RBs who are 36 nor are we to
likely EVER. Also, when a player is already on your roster, you are
fully aware where they stand. Signing a new guy who is 36 and
has been out of football for 4 years is a whole different animal.

thumper
06-21-2011, 12:04 PM
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30153174

Pan down a little on this page, and you will see a chart of all RBs 35 and older
and what kind of production they had. As you can see, the only decent seasons
were by Marcus Allen, and, as I recall, he was mostly a short yardage back
those years - and pretty good at it. He did seem to just play forever. Emmit had
one total so-so, meaningless year in AZ. Other than that, all back 35 or older
pretty much did nothing. I don't care that Tiki took some years off; he is hardly
likely to buck this long-standing trend.

fer522
06-21-2011, 02:57 PM
can we also get Jerry Rice in a 2 for 1 kinda deal
he's also been out of football for a few years and
i guess his legs should be pretty fresh too :noidea:

zulater
06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
can we also get Jerry Rice in a 2 for 1 kinda deal
he's also been out of football for a few years and
i guess his legs should be pretty fresh too :noidea:

Jerry rice left the league because he couldn't play at a high level anymore. That wasn't the case with Tiki who left as one of the league's better backs, so your analogy isn't valid.

ricardisimo
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
John Clayton at ESPN also has him going to Pittsburgh (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41213/possible-destinations-for-tiki-barber). These guys get paid to write this stuff?

jwmann2
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
I think he could be a third down back, you figure with the time off, he has had time to let his body recover and recoup, but I don't expect him to be a force like he used to be. 36 is not old, but for a football player it is, because by the time you are that age, your body has sure taken a beating.

Jimmy Shaker
06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn22/Stiller_photos/Duce.jpg

thumper
06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn22/Stiller_photos/Duce.jpg

One of the worst FA signings in team history

Jimmy Shaker
06-22-2011, 12:12 PM

Tiki would follow in those footsteps.

zulater
06-24-2011, 03:23 AM

That's not even close to being true. Duce helped set the momentum for the 2004 season. Through the first half of that season he was on the short list of league MVP candidates. In my opinion momentum is easiar to sustain than establish, and he without a doubt Duce was the player who set the tempo offensively for one of the more successfull seasons in recent Steelers history. Also when called upon in 2005 he helped the Steelers win two important mid seasons games when Parker and Bettis were unable to answer the bell due to injuries.

Yeah I understand more was expected of Duce when he signed, we can only wonder what sort of season he would have had in 04 if he had remained healthy. But all in all I would say the Steelers had no regrets about his signing.

zulater
06-24-2011, 03:29 AM
By the way here's some of the worst free agent signings in Steeler history.

Kent Graham

Todd Peterson

Sean Mahan

Jay Riemersma

finesward
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Love to have him....He is looking for a chance and to prove a point. He is down and out. Great motivators!

So you want A. Smith gone because he is too old and down and out, but want a 36 y/o RB who is down and out? Tiki is an injury waiting to happen, no way we sign him for any amount of money.