PDA

View Full Version : What grade to you give the Timmons draft picks?

thumper
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
He's definitely not a bust. He is approaching probowl status,
I do believe. But he was a fairly high first round pick. Do you
feel it was a great pick? Solid pick? Decent pick. So so pick?

Here are the players taken after him, 16 on down to end of the 1st.
I know he was partly chosen on need so not all of the following
would apply, i.e. they weren't about to take a QB.

Justin Harrell Packers DT - Bust. Garbage pick.
Jarvis Moss Broncos DE - sucks
Leon Hall Bengals DB - decent. Not nec.a better pick than Timmons.
Michael Griffin Titans DB - decent.
Aaron Ross Giants DB - Under-acheiver
Reggie Nelson Jaguars DB - disappointment
Brady Quinn Browns QB - BUST
Dwayne Bowe Chiefs WR - coming on. Not a better pick
Brandon Meriweather Patriots DB - good player
Jon Beason Panthers LB - arguably a better player, probowler. Close call
Anthony Spencer Cowboys DE - Never found his way on field much
Robert Meachem Saints WR - not bad
Joe Staley 49ers T - not bad
Ben Grubbs Ravens G- ok
Craig Davis Chargers WR- who?
Greg Olsen Bears TE - solid
Anthony Gonzalez Colts WR - ok

After further review, virtually no player jumps out as being a superior
pick to Timmons with 1st-round picks after he was taken. Some are
nearly equal, but only a few. Even in the 2nd round, the one pick
who seems like potentially a superior player to Timmons is.....
...drum roll............our own Woodley pick! Timmons hasn't been
the absolute killer I hoped for, but he certainly hasn't been a bad
player for that pick either. And, I believe this could be the year he
blows up. Our only possible weak spot at LB is Farrior. Harrison,
Woodley and Timmons are all beasts in their prime.

Jimmy Shaker
06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
No mention of Posluszny? That was a heavy debate during the draft, iirc. I give the edge to Timmons at this point and all signs are pointing to him being the better pick, but Poz is starting to prove his worth in Buffalo too.

thumper
06-24-2011, 04:36 PM
No mention of Posluszny? That was a heavy debate during the draft, iirc. I give the edge to Timmons at this point and all signs are pointing to him being the better pick, but Poz is starting to prove his worth in Buffalo too.

Poz has been a good player in Buffalo. But, I don't think he has proven
to be better than Timmons, as you say. On the other hand, Poz
has had nothing around him on the talent level as in Pgh. Not
even close. Buffalo was 24th in D, dead last in rushing D, giving
up 169 yards per game. Are you serious? Pgh gave up less than
100 yards less per game. Pgh gave up a measly 62 yards per
game - next best was 90, by the Bears. That is some serious run
D. Wow. I didn't realize how much more dominant Pgh was compared
to every other team out there. Poz would probably be a probowler if
he played for Pgh.

Jimmy Shaker
06-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Poz has been a good player in Buffalo. But, I don't think he has proven
to be better than Timmons, as you say. On the other hand, Poz
has had nothing around him on the talent level as in Pgh. Not
even close. Buffalo was 24th in D, dead last in rushing D, giving
up 169 yards per game. Are you serious? Pgh gave up less than
100 yards less per game. Pgh gave up a measly 62 yards per
game - next best was 90, by the Bears. That is some serious run
D. Wow. I didn't realize how much more dominant Pgh was compared
to every other team out there. Poz would probably be a probowler if
he played for Pgh.

I agree.

And 62 rushing ypg is a crazy stat. I think only a handful teams have bested that.

Wallace108
06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I have to admit ... for a while, I thought Timmons was going to be a bust. He turned it on last year, and I think he's only going to get better ... a LOT better.

It's hard for young players to step in and make an immediate impact, especially in our defense. Do you guys remember Troy's first couple of years? :puke:

steelerchad
06-24-2011, 10:52 PM
I agree.

And 62 rushing ypg is a crazy stat. I think only a handful teams have bested that.

That is a crazy stat. Our run D was dominating teams really didn't even bother trying. The run/pass ratio against our D was 34 run/66 pass. It's a passing league but not by much. Most teams are around the 46/54 range.

55BaileyFan
06-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I have to admit ... for a while, I thought Timmons was going to be a bust. He turned it on last year, and I think he's only going to get better ... a LOT better.

It's hard for young players to step in and make an immediate impact, especially in our defense. Do you guys remember Troy's first couple of years? :puke:

I was the same way. I thought "what the hell?" I still have to say that the jury is out for me right now. He has 15 sacks in 4 years (only two as a starter) and he has 3 ints in the same time frame. He is impressive jarring the ball and recovering loose balls but his tackling is not the best...(Poz and Beason are better tacklers)

Looking at the list though I don't know if there is anyone who I would rather have. Beason is too flashy and is not that typical Burgh LB, Merriweather is the same (besides I like Clark and Polamalu combo) I would have loved to have Poz because he is such an amazing tackler, but I think Timmons is a B+ even with some questions still needing answered.

thumper
06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I was the same way. I thought "what the hell?" I still have to say that the jury is out for me right now. He has 15 sacks in 4 years (only two as a starter) and he has 3 ints in the same time frame. He is impressive jarring the ball and recovering loose balls but his tackling is not the best...(Poz and Beason are better tacklers)

Looking at the list though I don't know if there is anyone who I would rather have. Beason is too flashy and is not that typical Burgh LB, Merriweather is the same (besides I like Clark and Polamalu combo) I would have loved to have Poz because he is such an amazing tackler, but I think Timmons is a B+ even with some questions still needing answered.

I have been hesitant to praise Timmons. I was slow to praise that
draft pick. He seemed smallish. On field, he shows blazing speed but
maybe too blazing as he appears to blow by some ball carriers and
miss them while he does. I think this year is the season he puts it
all together. And looking at who got drafted right after him, I don't see
many (any?) players that jump out to me as better picks, so I can't
see much to bitch about. But seeing the brief play of Sly and Worilds,
I think those guys are going to rock and maybe outplay LT is a short
order if given the chance. I would also like to see what LT could do
on the outside.

55BaileyFan
06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I have been hesitant to praise Timmons. I was slow to praise that
draft pick. He seemed smallish. On field, he shows blazing speed but
maybe too blazing as he appears to blow by some ball carriers and
miss them while he does. I think this year is the season he puts it
all together. And looking at who got drafted right after him, I don't see
many (any?) players that jump out to me as better picks, so I can't
see much to bitch about. But seeing the brief play of Sly and Worilds,
I think those guys are going to rock and maybe outplay LT is a short
order if given the chance. I would also like to see what LT could do
on the outside.

Agree 100%.

Even though there were some good names after LT...Poz would have been a better tackler and is smarter LB but he can't defend like LT (lack of speed) and won't catch you from behind. Beason I never thought was amazing, he just looks great because everyone around him sucks.

Another thing to think about is LT's surroundings. If a lesser MLB than Farrior was beside him would LT look more amazing? If the OLB on his defense weren't Lamarr or James Harrison...would he be "Jon Beason"

He does kind of get drowned out by the talent around him...but I agree this season it all needs to come together because if you can't out play a 36 year old than will you ever break out?

DanRooney
06-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Timmons bulked up in the offseason of last year which dramatically improved his play at the ILB position. The first 6 games of the season he was leading the league in tackles which is very difficult to due when your defense forces so many 3 and outs and turnovers (i.e. your offense's ToP is always ahead). He is already the second best linebacker on the team next to Harrison (sorry Woodley).

SteelerFanInATL
07-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Don't forget the Timmons was hurt during his rookie year and did not see the field as much as Woodley did. I think his progress is right on point from that stand point. Just my $ .02

cloppbeast
07-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I wanted the Steelers to take the local product Poz during the draft. But, looking back on it, I'm glad they picked Timmons. LT clearly is a better athlete, only a little raw coming out of college. After 3 years of learning DL's defense, he's only just started to show his value.

Timmons may never get notarity or accolades from the NFL/media, for instance: I thought it was absolutely ridiculous he didn't make the ProBowl last year. Deep down, though, we'll always know he's one of the best at his position. In my honest opinion, I feel he's the best player on the defense. Therefore, I give the pick an A+.

Farrior_roirraW
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Besides Ike, Timmons is definitely the most underrated player on here.

tanda10506
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
He's good and going to be great. Didn't see anybody in that list that I rather have.

Kingmagyar
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Timmons grade a generous B-

Who I would have liked instead:

Leon Hall
Brandon Meriweather
Dwayne Bowe

and why...

Dwayne Bowe has had or was close to having 1,000 yards in 3 of his 4 seasons and last year had 72 rec and 15 touchdowns. Is he about to skyrocket into a star wide receiver? He was a top 100 player of 2010 and a pro-bowler.

Leon Hall has 18 ints in 4 years and seems to play the run pretty well. Ike and Leon would make a very good tandem and he would give the team more turnovers which they need.

Brandon Meriweather has 12 int in the last 3 years and sure would be a great tandem with Troy and we would love his hard hitting. Although imagine having Harrison and Meriweather being fined by comish GODell. Much better and younger then Ryan Clark. Two Straight pro-bowls as well.

Seeing the Steeler's current problems at the DB position I believe we should have taken Leon Hall or Brandon Meriweather and I believed it that day as well. Let's hope Timmons continues to improve and quite frankly gets stronger. I saw him pushed around a little bit last year.

Inside Linebackers can often be easier to find later in a draft then a big Wide Receiver that can play or Defensive Backs. I will always look at this draft with deep regret that Eric Mangini traded ahead of the Steelers to take Darrell Revis.

I just know I would rather be in search of a new ILB or have Larry Foote there then not have 1 of the 3 guys I like above already on the roster.

thumper
07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Timmons grade a generous B-

Who I would have liked instead:

Leon Hall
Brandon Meriweather
Dwayne Bowe

and why...

Dwayne Bowe has had or was close to having 1,000 yards in 3 of his 4 seasons and last year had 72 rec and 15 touchdowns. Is he about to skyrocket into a star wide receiver? He was a top 100 player of 2010 and a pro-bowler.

Only problem is: We don't need him. Would you rather have Bowe
over Wallace? NO way. Bowe took a while before he did much
of anything. Wallace produced right away and had no sophomore
slump. The very essence of Pgh football starts with LBs. They are
vital to the team's success, and identity. Hence, they got to keep
the pipleline full of beast LBs. Not WRs. So, understanding that,
Timmons made way more sense than Bowe, who has been some
what slow to come along and has been immature. So, Bowe over
Timmons = FAIL.

Leon Hall has 18 ints in 4 years and seems to play the run pretty well. Ike and Leon would make a very good tandem and he would give the team more turnovers which they need.

I can at least see the argument. But again, LB is first and foremost.
We were getting thin there, and the infusion of Timmons and Woodley
was just what the doctor ordered. Look at our D. They gave up only
60 yard per game last year. I'd say that was a good job. No, not just
a good job, the BEST job - they've been the best D over all the last 3-4
years. If you take Timmons off the team and add Hall? Not sure that
would be an upgrade. How to you upgrade from being the best over all?

Brandon Meriweather has 12 int in the last 3 years and sure would be a great tandem with Troy and we would love his hard hitting. Although imagine having Harrison and Meriweather being fined by comish GODell. Much better and younger then Ryan Clark. Two Straight pro-bowls as well.

Seeing the Steeler's current problems at the DB position I believe we should have taken Leon Hall or Brandon Meriweather and I believed it that day as well. Let's hope Timmons continues to improve and quite frankly gets stronger. I saw him pushed around a little bit last year.

Inside Linebackers can often be easier to find later in a draft then a big Wide Receiver that can play or Defensive Backs. I will always look at this draft with deep regret that Eric Mangini traded ahead of the Steelers to take Darrell Revis.

I just know I would rather be in search of a new ILB or have Larry Foote there then not have 1 of the 3 guys I like above already on the roster.

Again, how do you improve from being the best as things are? Timmons was
key in our record-setting D. He was in the running for DMVP for much of
the season. I examined this draft expecting to see a good deal of players
taken after Timmons who I would have preferred over him. But truth is, once
I examined the list, I came away realizing there was really no one who would
have been a more valuable player. Yea, it would be awesome to have Revis
on the roster, but at the time, I didn't consider him so sure-fire, but of course,
he is actually awesome.

kirklandrules
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Let's hope Timmons continues to improve and quite frankly gets stronger. I saw him pushed around a little bit last year.

So Timmons was the leader in tackles and stops (short yardage and goal line) on a team that posted the 3rd lowest rushing average since 1970 and yet you think he was "pushed around a little bit"? Guess this is the expectation when you love a franchise with the best linebacker lineage in the league. Although I do remember Lambert getting blocked on occasion.

thumper
07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
So Timmons was the leader in tackles and stops (short yardage and goal line) on a team that posted the 3rd lowest rushing average since 1970 and yet you think he was "pushed around a little bit"? Guess this is the expectation when you love a franchise with the best linebacker lineage in the league. Although I do remember Lambert getting blocked on occasion.

I also remember Lambert getting the snot bubbles knocked out of
him by Earl Campbell and Pete Johnson. But, at 220 in the middle,
that will happen when backs that huge run at you.

austinfrench76
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
B+

I remember hoping so badly that they were going to trade up a couple of spots and grab Revis. Truth be told though, I'm very satisfied with Timmons. Not only a special player but seems like a helluva guy!

DanRooney
07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Timmons will be the best LBer on the team once Harrison leaves. He's a freak athlete and can play inside and outside. His versatility and talent alone makes him an easy A pick.