PDA

View Full Version : Ike Really Makes Me Mad

55BaileyFan
06-25-2011, 11:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8207a03b/article/taylors-take-wherever-you-put-me-im-going-to-make-home?module=HP_headlines

I am so sick of this crap from any NFL player. This whole "my agent and my team crap"

Take a page from jerome Bettis, if you want to stay somewhere then do it. Don't make crap up and leave it open for if you leave that you can blame it on the team for not getting a deal done.

This is not a debate on whether the Steelers should throw the money that Ike wants at him, this is the fact that he bounces around the questions because he knows if everyone knows that he is looking for cash and has no loyalty that people with chastise him.

This just proves that people like Jerome and Hines are very rare anymore. I know Hines held out, but that was after being one of the better receivers in the NFL for years and gettting paid less than 2 mil per season (reminder his last contract he took a pay cut from the contract he held out for...from 27 mil to 22 mil)

If you want cash just say it. Don't beat around the bush like us fans are stupid.

steeltheone
06-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Bettis would not have been worth much elsewhere at the end of his career. He knew his post football career would benefit greatly by staying in the Burgh......Ike is not in the same catagory, he will benefit from the highest bidder. This is his last chance to strike it rich.

55BaileyFan
06-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Bettis would not have been worth much elsewhere at the end of his career. He knew his post football career would benefit greatly by staying in the Burgh......Ike is not in the same catagory, he will benefit from the highest bidder. This is his last chance to strike it rich.

I think you are giving Ike way to much credit. Ike is a product of the system. He was an average college player that the Steelers turned into a good player. He is not "elite" in one on one situations and is penalty prone when he is in those situations. The only reason that isn't more glaring is the Steelers don't let him get in that position because they have a great pass rush and their is help over the top.

finesward
06-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Ike has also benefited recently from having a lesser quality corner opposite of him so QB's aren't throwing his way as much. He is a good player for us, but not an elite CB. If he wants to get paid like a top 5 CB he needs to remember that he was benched only a couple years ago by cowher for his putrid play. I can't say for sure but I HIGHLY doubt any of the other top 5 paid CB's have ever been benched for sucking ass.

Let him walk if he wants more money. I'd much rather have woodley locked up than ike.

pete74
06-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Ike has also benefited recently from having a lesser quality corner opposite of him so QB's aren't throwing his way as much. He is a good player for us, but not an elite CB. If he wants to get paid like a top 5 CB he needs to remember that he was benched only a couple years ago by cowher for his putrid play. I can't say for sure but I HIGHLY doubt any of the other top 5 paid CB's have ever been benched for sucking ass.

Let him walk if he wants more money. I'd much rather have woodley locked up than ike.

agreed. anyone who feels Ike is a top 5 is out of there mind

Jimmy Shaker
06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
What person in their right mind wouldn't go for the money?

thumper
06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Ike ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He is just trying to play
it cool and do what his agent says, which ends up being a collection
of mixed messages. My guess is he prefers to stay in Pgh but is
trying to get the top $ at the same time. He isn't worth top 5 CB $.

PhantomJB93
06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I've given it thought and if we could sign two decent FA corners, not stars but just decent guys who can hold their own (maybe Carlos Rogers and Richard Marshall?) for less than what it would take to ink Ike, I'll do it. Give me two guys who are cheap and can just hold their own most of the time over one star guy.

Based on what star corners are going for these days I think we could easily sign those two guys for a combined less than Ike, and probably still see notable improvement in the secondary. I don't think our problem is a lack of shutdown star talent, we don't need a Revis (or two, or three for that matter), we just need depth, and by depth I mean average-to-good corners that are better than Bmac and Gay, which shouldn't be hard to find. Both Rogers and Marshall are guys who will not lock down Larry Fitzgerald to 1 catch per game but should be able to play well enough to hold off receivers long enough for our pass rush to do it's job.

Think of it this way: based on what you saw against spread offenses this season from this D, would you rather have 1 good corner and 1 bad corner on the field or 2 medium corners? I think the choice is pretty easy, if not very flashy.

I'm prepared to let Ike walk but only if we sign a decent guy in FA, ideally I'd like two but even one would make me happy as long as that one is a proven player and not a career special teamer (I know we don't make a splash in FA but I mean just a decent, reliable guy, not a star shutdown corner)

steelerchad
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I've given it thought and if we could sign two decent FA corners, not stars but just decent guys who can hold their own (maybe Carlos Rogers and Richard Marshall?) for less than what it would take to ink Ike, I'll do it. Give me two guys who are cheap and can just hold their own most of the time over one star guy.

Based on what star corners are going for these days I think we could easily sign those two guys for a combined less than Ike, and probably still see notable improvement in the secondary. I don't think our problem is a lack of shutdown star talent, we don't need a Revis (or two, or three for that matter), we just need depth, and by depth I mean average-to-good corners that are better than Bmac and Gay, which shouldn't be hard to find. Both Rogers and Marshall are guys who will not lock down Larry Fitzgerald to 1 catch per game but should be able to play well enough to hold off receivers long enough for our pass rush to do it's job.

Think of it this way: based on what you saw against spread offenses this season from this D, would you rather have 1 good corner and 1 bad corner on the field or 2 medium corners? I think the choice is pretty easy, if not very flashy.

I'm prepared to let Ike walk but only if we sign a decent guy in FA, ideally I'd like two but even one would make me happy as long as that one is a proven player and not a career special teamer (I know we don't make a splash in FA but I mean just a decent, reliable guy, not a star shutdown corner)

Your theory is correct I believe. I think Bmac can be the #2 guy. His injuries hampered him greatly last year. He was solid through the first half of the season.
If you can't ink Ike reasonably, then let him walk and grab Marshall at half the price. I wouldn't want to go into the season with 2 new corners anyway. There will be some learning curve, especially if the camp is shortened.

aclark99
06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree....let Ike walk!! There is a guy out there by the name of Jonathan Joseph who played on a crappy Bengal team that knows Lebeau's system and really thrived when Lebeau was there. I am really hoping that we look at him and then lock up Burress. If these two signings happen we are a lock to return to the big game.:tt04:

FOOTEupyourarse
06-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I agree....let Ike walk!! There is a guy out there by the name of Jonathan Joseph who played on a crappy Bengal team that knows Lebeau's system and really thrived when Lebeau was there. I am really hoping that we look at him and then lock up Burress. If these two signings happen we are a lock to return to the big game.:tt04:

wasnt jonathan joseph drafted in 2006 and lebeau came back to pittsburgh in 2004?

PhantomJB93
06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah I'm fairly certain Joseph was never coached by Lebeau...

Even so, while I would like Joseph I dont see him leaving the Bungals, and even if he did he'd be more expensive than people think. Behind Nnamdi and Ike, Joseph is the next best FA corner and the only one who is "a step above" the other FA corners available, he's not a realistic signing for the Steelers.

ricardisimo
06-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Why would Ike make anyone mad? :huh:

thumper
06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah I'm fairly certain Joseph was never coached by Lebeau...

Even so, while I would like Joseph I dont see him leaving the Bungals, and even if he did he'd be more expensive than people think. Behind Nnamdi and Ike, Joseph is the next best FA corner and the only one who is "a step above" the other FA corners available, he's not a realistic signing for the Steelers.

Joseph is a lot younger than Ike, so much so, that I think he deserves
to be ranked higher. Ike is 31. You want to give a 31-year-old CB who
can't catch a ball to save his life a long-term contract? Joseph would
be a better signing for teams than would Ike. Ike is going to want
a 5 year deal with a huge signing bonus and will only be solid for
another 2 years, tops. PASS.

SacknificentStew56
06-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Ike is just doing what owners do to the players. Owners say "after a long debate, we felt it was in the best interest of our team and our future to let so & so go. We wish him well in the future", BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!! Players act like business men when they have a chance to profit financially and say "i'll leave it up to my agent and the owners, this has been the longest i've stayed in any city my whole life. This is my home and I love this place", BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!! If a franchise offers to overpay you top 5 CB money when you know you're not honestly putting up BIG numbers, there are a rare few who wouldn't take it. I would love to see Ike stay but if he leaves, i'll just remember what he did for us when he was a Steeler and not hold it against him like alot of people do. Let it GO!!

austinfrench76
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Ike is benefiting from a weak class behinf Assumough and a couple of other decent CB's. I do believe he is going to get WAAAAYYY too much fomr some team at the very last minute desparate for CB help. He will go get exposed elsewhere. Too bad becasue he was pretty good in the Lebeau system!

ben2hines=6
06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
let ike walk and snag up joseph

steeltheone
07-10-2011, 08:56 AM
If signing good cover corners was that easy, we would not be in this position year after year.

steeltheone
07-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I think you are giving Ike way to much credit. Ike is a product of the system. He was an average college player that the Steelers turned into a good player. He is not "elite" in one on one situations and is penalty prone when he is in those situations. The only reason that isn't more glaring is the Steelers don't let him get in that position because they have a great pass rush and their is help over the top.

Bettis was also a prodoct of the system...He knew this ...very few teams would he have had continued success.

And our pass rush is not that good when you take away the OLB'S..

55BaileyFan
07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I would love to see JOesph or Richard Marshall over Ike. I think Ike is a reach with top CB money.

55BaileyFan
07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Bettis was also a prodoct of the system...He knew this ...very few teams would he have had continued success.

And our pass rush is not that good when you take away the OLB'S..

Bettis was a 1000 yard rusher with two team and two different systems...he was not a product of the system. And football 101 without a solid pass rush from your DL there is not pass rush. Aaron Smith only played 5 games last season and LED the team in QB hurries. It is an equal mix from LB and DL.

cloppbeast
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Our evaluation of Ike is irrellevent. You could easilly be correct; but nevertheless, ppl in NFL circles disagree with you. A team will almost certainly willingly give him buttloads of money, and Ike is smart to take advantage. Why should he have to sacrafice for the sake of the team if the team isn't willing to sacrafice for him?