PDA

View Full Version : steelers sign the 1st draftpick

tony hipchest
05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
well other than texans m. williams who had a deal in place the night before the draft. last year i think we were the 1st to get someone signed and i believe had 4 of the 1st 10 picks to sign of the whole league. steelers f.o. wastes no time.

http://postgazette.com/pg/06142/692207-66.stm

Steelers sign rookie tackle
He's only the 2nd pick from entire draft to sign so far
Monday, May 22, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon became only the second NFL rookie draft pick to come to a contract agreement.

Colon, drafted in the fourth round from Hofstra, today agreed to a three-year contract woth $1,333,500. It includes a $283,500 signing bonus and annual minimum salaries of $275,000, $350,000, $425,000.

The only other drafted rookie with a signed contract is defensive end Mario Williams, the first player chosen, of the Houston Texans.

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Well 1 Down. Got more signings to go.

clevestinks
05-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Not the one I was hoping for, but its a start

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
One step at a time Cleve. One Step at a time. I was hoping Santonio was already signed but we gotta start somewhere.

BB2W
05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Hopefully he can take Barrett Brooks' roster spot.

I was pretty impressed with Essex when he was called on last year... hopefully Colon adds another solid player to the line.

Ohio Steeler
05-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Not the one I was hoping for, but its a start

Holmes will sign, give it time

BlitzburghRockCity
05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Yep we gotta start somewhere and all the day 2 picks are usually pretty quick to sign anyways.

DIESELMAN
05-22-2006, 11:48 PM
He also adds depth at the guard position.....

Suitanim
05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Santonio NEEDS to be signed before camp opens...I think it will literally make all the difference. Wasn't Troy Williamson a hold out for almost the whole training camp for the Vikings last year? His numbers suffered accordingly...

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
im trying to remember how our recent 1st round signings went. i think heath was one of the 1st 1st rounders to sign. ben signed a few days after training camp openend. and im pretty sure polamalu was in on time. santonio has some exra motivation to sign early with w. reid right behind him.

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
heres his comments from the official site

http://news.steelers.com/article/64455/

Colon happy to have contract done
Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rookie offensive tackle Willie Colon became the first of the team's 2006 draft class to sign a contract when he agreed to a three-year deal this week.

For Colon, it was a relief to have it done early.

"I am glad to get it off my mind," said Colon. "It hangs with you. I am blessed it got done so I can continue to go to work."

Colon, 6-3, 315 pounds, is taking part in the team's coaching sessions and is pleased with the progress so far.

"Things are going well," said Colon of the voluntary workouts. "I am happy. I am excited. It's a dream come true for me.

"I am not comfortable, but I am hungry. I am happy with where I am, I happy with the group of guys I am around. Coach (Russ) Grimm continues to have faith in me every day so I am happy."

Colon, who played at Hofstra, was one of the team's fourth round picks this season. He is working at tackle right now behind Max Starks, but has the ability to help out at guard if needed as well.

"I am only 6-3 so I will probably be one of the smallest tackles in the league," said Colon. "I just want to show Coach Grimm and Coach (Bill) Cowher that I can handle the end. It's a challenge for me and I can take it on. I just want to start getting ready for the season.

"I'm just really excited. I want to have the ability to be versatile and play tackle and guard, and play special teams. I just want to find my way into playing."

When Colon arrived in Pittsburgh for the team's mini-camp, he quickly realized that the Steelers locker room was loaded with talent.

"When I first came in to get acclimated and I looked to my left of my locker and it was Alan Faneca right next to me," said Colon. "I am going to be very quiet, but ask a lot of questions. Those guys have a name for themselves and they earned it. They are very proud guys. They wear that Steelers logo proudly. I just want to follow in their footsteps, stay focused and shut my mouth. I'm a New York kid. I'll have fun with it."

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
He was interviewed by Stan Savern on Sports Beat last night. Colon cracked a joke stating that he thought his father's name was Franco because both of his parents are huge Steeler fans (his mother in particular). He stated the reason why his mother is a Steeler fan is because she was growing up around the time of the 70's Steelers.

Going by the interview the kid has his head on straight. Suit and tie for his first local interview, well spoken with an excellent attitude.

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
i like that since he would be one of the smallest tackles its giving him that motivation to work harder, and learn other positions. i hope he can hold his own and make the team. he seems like a mean s.o.b. on the field, but a great person off the field