PDA

View Full Version : 1st steelers game!!!!!! need some help please

BIGNASTY91
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi everybody. My wife and i are going to be making our first trip to Heinz field this year. We are going to be going to the bengals game on the dec 4th. (The 4th is my birthday, what a great present!) Any info that yall could give me on hotels, tailgating, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know its a while before Dec gets here, but i want to start planning now to make this the best trip it could be. Also i know its going to be cold. How do you guys usually dress for the cold weather games up there? (im in N.C.) Thanks in advance guys and gals. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

:tt03:

MDSteel15
06-30-2011, 08:05 AM
You have to go to Primanti Bros. to eat and tailgating all over the city is going on! Everyone there is friendly!!! Enjoy :hatsoff:

steelerchad
06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
There's a new Hyatt Place in between Heinz Field and PNC. There's also a Springhill suites across from PNC. Rates are probably over $200/nt for game weekends though. I always book something reasonably priced, but cancelable and then priceline a room in the downtown area a week or 2 before the game and cancel the other room. I've landed the Rennaissance 4* just across the bridge from PNC for $66/nt for the Colts game a couple years ago and the Wydham 3* (old Hilton) just across the walking bridge to Heinz for $85 for the AFCC game last year. If you stay with 3* or better you won't get stuck with a dump.

As far as tailgating goes. Good parking passes are expensive. December, not as much because of the weather. Expect to pay $100 for a Gold lot pass and $60 or so for a Red. I like Red 6 in front of PNC. Don't get fooled into a Red 5. That's a garage, no tailgating. I don't tailgate in December, just Sept/Oct. I choose to go to McFadden's or Bettis Grill for a few drinks pregame when it's cold.

There's a guy on here who usually posts a tailgate party for all home games. He's in the blue lots and he invites people from the board to stop by. Check back once the season starts and you'll see the info in the tailgate section. He just asks you bring a dish or throw a few bucks for food and beverage. Pretty nice of him even though I've never attended.

StainlessStill
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi everybody. My wife and i are going to be making our first trip to Heinz field this year. We are going to be going to the bengals game on the dec 4th. (The 4th is my birthday, what a great present!) Any info that yall could give me on hotels, tailgating, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know its a while before Dec gets here, but i want to start planning now to make this the best trip it could be. Also i know its going to be cold. How do you guys usually dress for the cold weather games up there? (im in N.C.) Thanks in advance guys and gals. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Even though this is the first Steelers game you've ever been to, as soon as you walk into Steelers Nation you will feel that you've been doing it forever. Everyone comes together as one and if and when you meet your fellow brotherin's around you and let them know you traveled a great deal of ways, they will be even more stoked about your presence. You'll get a very warm welcome in 'Da Burgh.

If you can and if it's possible, try looking into parking pass's to get into certain pre-paid lots. Tailgating is what made the city of Pittsburgh but it looks like everything is going either garage or pre-paid lots, which irritates Steelers fans like me who loves the old-school type tailgating but TAILGATING IS A MUST. It's certainly apart of the experience.

If you can't get your hands on a parking pass (which are usually around the $50.00 range but well worth it) then I authorize you to get to the stadium super-early and find a lot that's open to the public. Other than that, enjoy! The colder the weather, the more layers it is and the better it is, trust me, it's Steelers weather here in December.

Check things out like Bettis's Bar and Grille, McFadden's, the world-wide legendary Primanti Brothers & Station Square. A little re-search on hotels near the stadium won't take long but make sure you pack your Terrible Towel, game-face, hand-warmers and snow-boots because it's all up-hill from there once you're in the sea of Terrible Towels!

Good luck and welcome!:tt04:

stb_steeler
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Bettis grill and promonti brothers is all you need.......Go to a game when we play the ravens. their fans love to buy us Steelers fans Beer......:tt03:

Tulsa
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Let me know how it goes. Someday I'll make my first Steeler game all the way from Arkansas. :tt02:

thumper
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
You have to go to Primanti Bros. to eat and tailgating all over the city is going on! Everyone there is friendly!!! Enjoy :hatsoff:

:thumbsup:

thumper
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Even though this is the first Steelers game you've ever been to, as soon as you walk into Steelers Nation you will feel that you've been doing it forever. Everyone comes together as one and if and when you meet your fellow brotherin's around you and let them know you traveled a great deal of ways, they will be even more stoked about your presence. You'll get a very warm welcome in 'Da Burgh.

If you can and if it's possible, try looking into parking pass's to get into certain pre-paid lots. Tailgating is what made the city of Pittsburgh but it looks like everything is going either garage or pre-paid lots, which irritates Steelers fans like me who loves the old-school type tailgating but TAILGATING IS A MUST. It's certainly apart of the experience.

If you can't get your hands on a parking pass (which are usually around the $50.00 range but well worth it) then I authorize you to get to the stadium super-early and find a lot that's open to the public. Other than that, enjoy! The colder the weather, the more layers it is and the better it is, trust me, it's Steelers weather here in December.

Check things out like Bettis's Bar and Grille, McFadden's, the world-wide legendary Primanti Brothers & Station Square. A little re-search on hotels near the stadium won't take long but make sure you pack your Terrible Towel, game-face, hand-warmers and snow-boots because it's all up-hill from there once you're in the sea of Terrible Towels!

Good luck and welcome!:tt04:

:applaudit:

55BaileyFan
07-02-2011, 03:59 PM
If you have time while you are there head to the strip and do some shopping (down by Peterson Center) then stop at Primantti and grab you a Capacola (love the Capa)

Rick5895
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Try priceline.com and name your price for hotels, I just was in the Burgh for the Kenny chesney concert and stayed at the Westin downtown, it's a maybe 15 minute walk to hienz and we paid $130 a night for the hotel. lots of good eaterys in the area and a Prtimanti's in the strip disctrict. Have fun, I am not sure what game I will go to this year ( I am from ontario canada) but I will wait until the lockout is over to get my tickets.

BIGNASTY91
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys! I am taking it all in and trying to plan a great trip. Keep the suggestions coming. i can never get too many!!

:tt04: