PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lewis in at #3 best in NFL?

thumper
07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
http://top100.nfl.com/

Brady and Manning at 1 and 2 was predictable and not off
the mark. Brady has won 3 rings and played for 4. He is the man,
period. Manning has been crazy consistent in the regular season
his whole career.

But Ray Ray was 6th in tackles and had 2 sacks all year. And for
this he is the 3rd best player in the LEAGUE, including all offensive
players as well?

The players must have been drunk when they put this list together.
Would you really rank Lewis above Polamalu, Ben, Harrison, Revis,
Brees, Peppers, et al? Seriously? I know Ray has had a great
career - has been one of the best LBs of all time, but he is still
the top 3rd best player in all the NFL? LOCO.

I know reputation always influences these things, including pro bowl
selection, but I think this ranking is way out of wack.

PhantomJB93
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Actually Ray Lewis was 4th, Adrian Peterson was 3rd. But yeah, the entire list was a joke, there's no point even arguing about it because there were so many things wrong with it.

thumper
07-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Actually Ray Lewis was 4th, Adrian Peterson was 3rd. But yeah, the entire list was a joke, there's no point even arguing about it because there were so many things wrong with it.

Yea, saw that I made a mistake on saying 3 instead of 4. But, yea,
not even worth discussing regardless.

steelerchad
07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
The problem with the list is inconsistency and a lack of knowing what they're evaluating. If your giving guys credit for a career, then yes Ray is probably top 5 and Harrison is fine where he is. But if your only grading last year or even the last 4, then no way should Ray be top 5. Harrison has been much more dominant in recent history. Ray's maybe not top 50 based on last year.

So in just this example, it looks like they gave Ray credit for his entire career while only judging Mike Vick on last year. As Vick's career B.P. was very average and he might not even make the top 100 at all before last year. I mean he rode the bench behind an average McNabb in 2010. Going in to that year, he wasn't even offered a decent contract by any team. He was thought of as a 1 dimensional QB, who nobody knew if he could even play anymore. And then 1 top 5 QB season and he's better than Big Ben, who's been having top 5 QB seasons routinely since being in the league.

thumper
07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
The problem with the list is inconsistency and a lack of knowing what they're evaluating. If your giving guys credit for a career, then yes Ray is probably top 5 and Harrison is fine where he is. But if your only grading last year or even the last 4, then no way should Ray be top 5. Harrison has been much more dominant in recent history. Ray's maybe not top 50 based on last year.

So in just this example, it looks like they gave Ray credit for his entire career while only judging Mike Vick on last year. As Vick's career B.P. was very average and he might not even make the top 100 at all before last year. I mean he rode the bench behind an average McNabb in 2010. Going in to that year, he wasn't even offered a decent contract by any team. He was thought of as a 1 dimensional QB, who nobody knew if he could even play anymore. And then 1 top 5 QB season and he's better than Big Ben, who's been having top 5 QB seasons routinely since being in the league.

I believe the way it __should__ have been considered was how good is
the player RIGHT NOW, with allowing some of his total history as _part_
of the process in determining current value. In other words, if a player
has had an stellar career and had a little of a down season last year
then both his career and latest season should be considered, but neither -
the entire career or only last season - should be considered in a vacuum.
For the following reasons, I consider Ray Lewis to be way too high at #4.
He's had an amazing career, and is still a very good player (#6 in tackles
last year) so he deserves on the list - probably top 50, but not freakin top
4! If you were starting the league all over, and every player was a possible
draft choice, where do you think Big Ben would be taken? With the 41st
pick? Would Ray be taken with the 4th pick? No flippin' way. Like Skip
Bayless said, the top QBs would dominate the top 10-15 picks. Ben would
be taken within the first 5-7 picks. Even if Ray was a few years younger,
he would not be taken before 20th. It would probably look more like....

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Rogers
4. Brees
5. Ben
6. A Peterson
7. Rivers
8. Revis
9. C. Johnson
10. A. Johnson
11. Peppers
12. Polamalu

cloppbeast
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
be taken within the first 5-7 picks. Even if Ray was a few years younger,
he would not be taken before 20th. It would probably look more like....

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Rogers
4. Brees
5. Ben
6. A Peterson
7. Rivers
8. Revis
9. C. Johnson
10. A. Johnson
11. Peppers
12. Polamalu

Ben number five?

I disagree.

There's at least 30 players in the NFL better than Ben.

Personally, I woudn't put Brady or Manning necessarilly at 1 and 2 either. Obviously any media outlet's ranking will rank those two 1 and 2 because of how they overrate the quarterback position in general. Nevertheless, Andre Johnson, Chris Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Haloti Ngata, James Harrison, and Darelle Revis, in my opinion, are all better football players than either Brady or Manning. Rodgers is better than either of them anyway.

thumper
07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Ben number five?

I disagree.

There's at least 30 players in the NFL better than Ben.

Personally, I woudn't put Brady or Manning necessarilly at 1 and 2 either. Obviously any media outlet's ranking will rank those two 1 and 2 because of how they overrate the quarterback position in general. Nevertheless, Andre Johnson, Chris Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Haloti Ngata, James Harrison, and Darelle Revis, in my opinion, are all better football players than either Brady or Manning. Rodgers is better than either of them anyway.

You think Johnson, C. Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Ngata, Revis can
make as big of a difference to helping a team win than Brady, Manning?
No way. Only two of the teams those guys were on even made
the play offs.

tanda10506
07-05-2011, 05:53 PM
The whole list was absolutely false. It's hard to argue #1 and #2, other then that none of it made sense.

cloppbeast
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
You think Johnson, C. Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Ngata, Revis can
make as big of a difference to helping a team win than Brady, Manning?
No way. Only two of the teams those guys were on even made
the play offs.

That's a different question.

thumper
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
That's a different question.

I think if you are "the best" you make the most difference between
winning and losing.

stb_steeler
07-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Brady and Manning at 1 and 2 was predictable and not off
the mark. Brady has won 3 rings and played for 4. He is the man,
period. Manning has been crazy consistent in the regular season
his whole career.

But Ray Ray was 6th in tackles and had 2 sacks all year. And for
this he is the 3rd best player in the LEAGUE, including all offensive
players as well?

The players must have been drunk when they put this list together.
Would you really rank Lewis above Polamalu, Ben, Harrison, Revis,
Brees, Peppers, et al? Seriously? I know Ray has had a great
career - has been one of the best LBs of all time, but he is still
the top 3rd best player in all the NFL? LOCO.

I know reputation always influences these things, including pro bowl
selection, but I think this ranking is way out of wack.

he might make the number 1 list for most stupid sayings on the field...:wink02:

55BaileyFan
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
BIggest issue why did the Steelers only have 4 players on the list but the Cowboys had 6? Or how did Donovan make this list? Answer- The players vote for their buddies...end of story.

thumper
07-07-2011, 05:46 PM
BIggest issue why did the Steelers only have 4 players on the list but the Cowboys had 6? Or how did Donovan make this list? Answer- The players vote for their buddies...end of story.

Dallas hasn't had a real head coach since Tuna. It is very well possible
that they had 2 more players deserving to be in top 100 but don't win
as much because they didn't have a legit head coach with head coaching
authority, and that other than their top 6 players, the rest of their team is
not as good as the rest of ours. It takes 22 starters, plus other significant
role players who don't start, to make a team.

LVSteelersfan
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
That D-bag does not even belong on the list at all, never mind in the top 10. His skills have diminished a lot over the years. James Harrison and Woodley AND Lawrence Timmons are faster, more ferocious and better over all players than the ancient big mouth. This was a top 100 list for 2010 and he was not that great last year. People run right by him or over him these days. He can't cover receivers. What a joke.

thumper
07-07-2011, 09:46 PM
That D-bag does not even belong on the list at all, never mind in the top 10. His skills have diminished a lot over the years. James Harrison and Woodley AND Lawrence Timmons are faster, more ferocious and better over all players than the ancient big mouth. This was a top 100 list for 2010 and he was not that great last year. People run right by him or over him these days. He can't cover receivers. What a joke.

At 35, he's not what he was. But he was 6th in tackles in 2010.
That isn't chopped liver.

BIGNASTY91
07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
It's funny how they keep saying this list was voted on by the players, but every steeler that has been asked about the list say's " what players voted on this, i didnt get to cast a vote"? The list is worthless in my opinion. Ben at 41, McNabb on the list and Eli not even making it. Just does'nt sound rite to me at all?

:tt03:

i82much
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM

But Ray Ray was 6th in tackles and had 2 sacks all year.

Sacks are more or less irrelevant for MLB/ILB.

steeltheone
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Sounds a lot like James Farrior...

TRH
07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
i've said it before, but Ray Lewis has been getting by for the last few years now on reputation alone.

i82much
07-18-2011, 02:10 PM
i've said it before, but Ray Lewis has been getting by for the last few years now on reputation alone.

I dunno man. I'm a ravens fan and fully confess to my biases. But I don't think Darren Sproles or Dustin Keller would fully agree with that statement. #3 is just a ridiculous number because Ray is not the pass defender he once was. But he's still got plenty of thunder in his pads and makes a lot of big stops for us, even at his current age.

solardave
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I have to agree. This list just proves they should drug test these players more often!

Ravens
07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Respectively