PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter Knee Surgery & No show at Voluntary Workouts

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Porter a no-show for voluntary workouts
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joey Porter missed the first week of the Steelers' voluntary workouts, and now the question is whether he will participate in any of them.

Porter, a Pro Bowl linebacker, attended the team's mandatory three-day minicamp May 13-15 but was the only veteran absent from all four of their follow-up voluntary sessions last week at their UPMC training facility on the South Side.

Those sessions, among 14 scheduled through June 8, resume today.

His agent, Jeff Sperbeck, declined to comment yesterday on whether Porter will return to Pittsburgh to work out with his teammates or if he planned to show up for the start of training camp July 28. Porter lives in Bakersfield, Calif.

"The Steelers are aware of Joey's situation," Sperbeck said from his office in Walnut Creek, Calif.

Porter, 29, has two years left on a contract he signed in February 2004. He is scheduled to earn a salary of $3.85 million this year, and earn $5 million in 2007, which includes a $1 million roster bonus.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said coach Bill Cowher was aware that Porter would miss last week's sessions and emphasized that the workouts are "voluntary." However, virtually every player has participated in those drills the past several years, a trend throughout the NFL. Last year, halfback Duce Staley attended minicamp but missed some of the spring workouts to be with his ailing father in South Carolina.

Receiver Plaxico Burress skipped minicamp and the rest of the spring workouts two years ago as he entered the final year of his contract with the Steelers. He reported to training camp on time. He then signed with the New York Giants last year as a free agent. Receiver Hines Ward, entering his final contract season a year ago, attended all of the club's spring workouts last year and then held out the first two weeks of training camp, but he reported and signed a contract extension before the season began.

The Steelers have a publicly stated policy that they will not extend a player's contract when he has more than one year left. Exceptions were made for quarterbacks, most notably Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. They also have reworked many contracts with players to create room under their salary cap without costing the players money.

Porter did not complain about his contract publicly during the Steelers' minicamp nor did he mention anything about plans to miss upcoming workouts. He even joked with reporters about meeting President Bush during the Steelers' planned June 2 visit to the White House.

He also said he would gladly accept the role of team leader that Jerome Bettis said would fit him well.

"I'm ready to fill that role," Porter told the Post-Gazette on May 13.

"I asked Jerome for the blueprint a long time ago. If you're going to learn, why not learn from the best? I watched Jerome. I saw how he handled himself. He got along with everybody. You can't just think about the guys on your unit. You have to be there for everybody. I think I can be that guy. I'll be there for all my guys, setting the tempo. Even the kickers."

Porter, one of the Steelers' captains since 2003, led all NFL linebackers last season with 101/2 sacks and made his third Pro Bowl team. His 53 career sacks rank sixth all-time for the Steelers, half a sack behind Greg Lloyd. A third-round draft choice from Colorado State in 1999, Porter became the team's starting right outside linebacker in 2000

Atlanta Dan
05-23-2006, 07:36 AM
First Hines Ward is accurately quoted on Cowher not showing him sufficient respect, then last week the story was a number of vets being overweight. Now self-proclaimed "team leader" Joey Porter blows off workouts in an obvious ploy to renegotiate with 2 years left on his contract.

As Cowher has said, this team was not the best throughout the season last year and happened to play its best ball in January. IMO the current team attitude is a little too fat and happy.

There had better be an attitude adjustment starting right now.

TheWarDen86
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
It' NOT a big deal.

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 07:52 AM
A few observations and opinions:

First off, the paper never stated a reason why Porter is deciding not to attend voluntary workouts.

Second, what I found interesting was that Dave Lockett "emphasized that the workouts are voluntary". That tells me that it may not be a contract dispute or personal reasons, but that Porter just doesn't feel like attending the workouts. That's just an assumption.

Third, IF it's not personal reasons, does anybody feel that if your "ready to fill that role", you should be at the workouts? Mandatory or voluntary.

Just curious of everybody's opinions. I'm not stating he's in the wrong or right as of now. I would like to wait and see how the situation pans out and more importantly, the reasons why it's occuring.

Ambridge
05-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Joey still has two years left on his current deal and really doesn't have any leverage cards against the Steelers to play "Extend My Contract Poker".

Atlanta Dan
05-23-2006, 08:09 AM
My bet is Porter remembers how Jason Gildon ended up and knows that, given the productivity of an outside linebacker in the 3-4 after he enters his early 30s, he will not be re-upping with the Steelers after 2007.

Burress was torched for missing the "voluntary" workouts 2 years ago when everyone knew he was a self-centered egomaniac - Porter is not entitled to any better treatment.

If Porter wants to be a team leader and talk the talk he needs to walk the walk.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 08:23 AM
lets hope hes holding out for a lower, more cap friendly, hometown discounted contract extension. :rolleyes: definitely setting a bad example for the younger players. i bet harrisons licking his chops. porter has got to know the steelers will replace him so i dont wanna think hes doing this for more money, although he is probably a top 5 or 10 backer in the league. he should get teddi bruschi as his agent

Suitanim
05-23-2006, 09:18 AM
He's looking for the Chad Scott deal, but the Steelers don't offer that one anymore.

shimmysteelerfan
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
if he wanted to be a team leader than he should attend the "voluntary" practices to show the younger players where there head should be. I think Ben or Ward would be ideal team leaders.

klick81
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Man, i hope no drama unfolds like last season.

Atlanta Dan
05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter will have arthroscopic knee surgery tomorrow in Pittsburgh, a team spokesman said today.

Porter today worked out at the Steelers South Side facility but did not attend a voluntary practice session with his teammates. He had missed all four practices the Steelers have held in the past week.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he did not know if the surgery was the reason Porter has not practiced and said coach Bill Cowher would not comment.

Porter had surgery to repair loose cartilage in his left knee in August. Lockett said he did not know if the new surgery will be performed on the same knee

This may explain the no-show at the workouts, but why not show up and state you are resting the knee or state you are not showing up because of a bum knee?

Not as if this is the first time (e.g. - Ben's thumb - did Ben ever get surgery?) the Steelers have played games with an injury.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06143/692483-100.stm

WWIIOwheelz
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow, that's out of the blue.

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
So that explains the no show at voluntary workouts..........

shimmysteelerfan
05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
that sucks, hope its nothing serious.

Blitzburgh55
05-23-2006, 03:15 PM
He will be ready for the season

Suitanim
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, that answers that, I guess...

Prosdo
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Well definitely explains it

BB2W
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Better now than later...

melroseplace
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
woah, I didn't even know he was missing practice...hopefully in 2 1/2 months (or 3 at the latest) he'll be ready to go!

melroseplace
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
woah, I didn't even know he was missing practice...hopefully in 2 1/2 months (or 3 at the latest) he'll be ready to go!

lol I just now saw the "Porter no-show at practice" thread below this one :dang:

Suitanim
05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I still think he's going to be looking for the "pay me for what I did, not what I can do" contract, which the Steelers will not do.

Man_Of_Steel
05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Porter had surgery today on one of his knees.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06143/692483-100.stm

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 06:18 PM
just to clear it up a bit, this is a relatively minor surgery that takes, 15-30 minutes through about a 1/4 inch incision, and takeas about a month to get back to new. ben said he wanted to play 2 weeks after having his meniscus shaved last year which is a similar procedure. joey will be fine. these "operations" are pretty routine.

DIESELMAN
05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Porter missed most of training camp and the four exhibition games last summer after needing knee surgery -- a problem aggravated when he jumped in the air to celebrate winning a training camp blocking competition. He returned to play in the Super Bowl champions' 16 regular-season games and four playoff games. He'll be fine.

clevestinks
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
He will be ready for the season
I agree and i hope so

BlitzburghRockCity
05-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Porter is not attending voluntary workouts due to his surgery..at this point, thats all there is to it. Sure he wants a new deal and he may make some waves, but if the Steelers dont offer Hines a renegoiation with 2 years left, they wont be giving Joey one either.

Joey will play this year after talking some smack, getting alittle heated, stirring the pot, getting the fans in an uproar...and then decide its in his best interest to come back and play this season and then look for a new deal next offseason. Its normal Joey Porter style, nothing to worry about.

SteelerzGirl
05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Holy smokes! I hope you're right, Blitz.

Atlanta Dan
05-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Still uncertain if missing last week's workouts was knee related or contract related.

From Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

It is still not known if Porter's absence from the OTA workouts are a result of the pending surgery or an indication that the seven-year veteran wants to have his contract situation addressed. Porter has two more seasons on his current contract and is due a base salary of $3.85 million in 2006 and of $4 million in 2007. There is an additional $1 million roster bonus due in the spring of 2007.

Historically, the Steelers have not extended players' contract until they have just one season remaining.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2455479

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Still uncertain if missing last week's workouts was knee related or contract related.

From Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

It is still not known if Porter's absence from the OTA workouts are a result of the pending surgery or an indication that the seven-year veteran wants to have his contract situation addressed. Porter has two more seasons on his current contract and is due a base salary of $3.85 million in 2006 and of $4 million in 2007. There is an additional $1 million roster bonus due in the spring of 2007.

Historically, the Steelers have not extended players' contract until they have just one season remaining.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2455479

But once again as with the original article, it's pure speculation and there are still no hard facts that it's over a contract. Until then it's pure speculation on the media's part.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 10:25 PM
lets see:

a) he needs knee surgery
b) he needs a new contract

i pick a) as the reason he missed jogging around with his teammates.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Is he really going to fake having someone probe his body?

Or did Joey revert to being Joey and do something so unbelievably stupid that it required a 'medical tune-up'?

I don't think this is about money. But what do I know?

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Going by Cowher's comments pertaining to Porter and a contract dispute, it doesn't sound as if Cowher is denying it.

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_144071621.html

BB2W
05-24-2006, 04:52 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter had arthroscopic knee surgery Wednesday morning.

The minor procedure was performed on his right knee after an injury he suffered sometime during the Super Bowl season.

Porter showed up on crutches at Steelers headquarters on the South Side shortly after his operation.

He was unavailable for official comment but said he is doing well.

link: http://www.wpxi.com/sports/9267825/detail.html

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
michael smith just reported that the surgury was so minor that if there were a game to be played today joey would be good to go.

also that his agend did bring up to the steelers that his clients contract was "outdated" but that was the extent of the conversation.

BB2W
05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Fresh off of successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Wednesday, Steelers linebacker Joey Porter claimed his absences from voluntary workouts had nothing to do with his contract situation, despite reports to the contrary.

"None of it is right," Porter said. "None of it."

Asked if he wanted to set the record straight and address speculation surrounding his perceived dissatisfaction with his contract, which has two years remaining, Porter dismissed the opportunity.

"I'm not going to get in a war of words," he said. "None of it is right."

In an abbreviated conversation, Porter suggested that he might cease talking with the media when he returns to the field.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher, in an interview with WTAE-TV, said yesterday that speculation surrounding Porter's absences from the team's voluntary workouts -- the Steelers completed their fifth of 14 yesterday -- was much ado about nothing.

"Last week, he went back to spend some time with his family," Cowher said. "Sometimes, I think a lot of things were getting blown up and taken out of context. But that's his status."

Fellow linebacker Clark Haggans said he doesn't discuss contracts with Porter or any other teammates. He also added that he hadn't heard if Porter was choosing to be a conscientious objector due to a contract that will pay him $3.85 million this season and $5 million in 2007.

Porter made $3.5 million in base salary last season, which was equal to that of Takeo Spikes and Zach Thomas, and $2 million less than Ray Lewis, according to the NFL Players' Association.

"When he's not here -- visibly -- people are wondering what he's doing," Haggans said. "They come up with assumptions."

Porter underwent the procedure on his right knee yesterday morning. He was at the Steelers' facilities in the afternoon, eating lunch with his wife before departing on crutches. Of the surgery, Porter said things were "fine." He is expected to be at full strength for the start of training camp on July 28.

It was the second time in less than a year that Porter underwent arthroscopic surgery. He had loose cartilage removed from his left knee last August during training camp. He returned in time for the start of the season and finished with 10 1/2 sacks, tops among NFL linebackers. His 53 career sacks rank sixth on the Steelers' all-time list, a half sack behind Greg Lloyd.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he believed Porter first injured the right knee early last season. He then deferred to Porter when asked why the linebacker waited until this point in the offseason to have surgery.

"I think Joey could play; he could play right now (had he not had surgery)," LeBeau said. "This is more to make the long haul better for Joey."

Porter, 29, tested the knee during minicamp May 13-15 and appeared to move well, as he did in a post-Super Bowl taping of "Battle of the Gridiron Stars" for ESPN. But he ultimately decided on surgery for protection from any complications in advance of training camp.

"It was more of a proactive approach that we took," Cowher said.

Haggans said inside linebacker James Farrior spoke with Porter after the surgery and said he is doing fine. Porter's teammates don't expect him to be affected by the procedure in training camp.

"He'll be 6-foot-3, 250 pounds and cut like a turkey," Haggans said, making a reference to Porter's muscular frame. "Joey's the type of guy who can turn it on when he needs to. The priority is his knee. We'd rather have him healthy throughout the whole season next year than have him healthy now and struggling next season with an injury."

Porter's outside linebacker spot is being held down by veteran James Harrison, who started three games in place of Haggans last season and amassed 13 tackles, a sack and interception in those contests. Harrison was signed in the offseason to a four-year deal worth $5.5 million.

"When James is in there," LeBeau said, "we don't skip a beat."

link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_455325.html

83-Steelers-43
05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
So Porter is stating it has nothing to do with his contract but Cowher stated ?There?s going to be contract issues every year,? Cowher told KDKA. ?Every year you come up there?s a new group of players and those things are dealt with in-house. I?ve got an open-door policy and the players have used that frequently and so we talk about it but it stays in there.? :huh:

sheba
05-29-2006, 07:48 AM
It' NOT a big deal. It is a big deal he is one of the best
olb in the game and on the steelers.

sheba
05-29-2006, 07:49 AM
He is great.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2006, 08:39 AM
It does seem like very strange timing for an operation - no matter how small the degree of surgery.

Couple of quick Steelers questions.

Is Porter in direct competition with Haggans, Harrison or Frazier - the 1st two are listed as LOLB on the NFL.com depth charts (which havent been updated since last year) and Frazier is listed as 1st sub behind Porter at ROLB?

Do the Steelers see Harrison as their main man going into TC?

If so, will Porter seek a trade if he is not the starter?

NM

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-29-2006, 09:00 AM
It does seem like very strange timing for an operation - no matter how small the degree of surgery.

Couple of quick Steelers questions.

Is Porter in direct competition with Haggans, Harrison or Frazier - the 1st two are listed as LOLB on the NFL.com depth charts (which havent been updated since last year) and Frazier is listed as 1st sub behind Porter at ROLB?

Do the Steelers see Harrison as their main man going into TC?

If so, will Porter seek a trade if he is not the starter?

NMWhy are the Patsy's looking for linebackers?:bouncy:

Livinginthe past
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Why are the Patsy's looking for linebackers?:bouncy:

Dammit, Scott told me to be more subtle this time when asking for info.....

I dont think Porter is really a 'Patriots' player - I dont happen to regard him as a 'Steeler' type player either really....

NM