PDA

View Full Version : Hines busted for DUI

Raw Steel
07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Hines, Hines, Hines

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/09/hines-ward-dui-arrested-georgia-dancing-with-the-stars-pittsburgh-steelers/

55BaileyFan
07-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Of all people. I cannot believe what the hell he was thinking? This is another black eye to the Pittsburgh Steelers who are still trying to get over the Ben situations, and Mendenhall's mouth. I cannot believe this....

R2sojr
07-09-2011, 09:32 AM
What's up with these players and Georgia!! First Ben now Hines. like they said the more this lockout goes the more players will be gettIng into trouble!!

steeltheone
07-09-2011, 09:39 AM
C'mon Hines...I'm sure you can afford a cab...Dumb ass

BIGNASTY91
07-09-2011, 09:59 AM
The last person on this team i would have expected to hear something like this about! Stupid mistake-yes-, but i know we all make mistakes and when your a superstar like Hines, everybody is gonna know about. STUPID STUPID STUPID! But we all make mistakes and this is not the norm for him. Give him some support through this, and i'm sure Hines will learn from this mistake! :banging:

BIGNASTY91
07-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Also after doing some reading into this, it was SUSPICION of DUI. That doesnt mean was drunk or wasnt. Let this play out before we jump to conclusions! :popcorn:

55BaileyFan
07-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Its easy to chastise him...and he does deserve it....but we should all be praying for him and have a swat team on standby...because HIS MOM IS COMING. I feel so bad for him, he is the face of Steelernation and now he has to explain this to his Mom without getting his ASS STOMPED.

MACH1
07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Also after doing some reading into this, it was SUSPICION of DUI. That doesnt mean was drunk or wasnt. Let this play out before we jump to conclusions! :popcorn:

That should be an automatic 6 game suspension.

BIGNASTY91
07-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Seems a lil harsh to me until we find out all the facts? If indeed its all true, yea suspend him, by no means should he get off scott free!

fer522
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
is he gonna get another RALLY :doh:

http://img190.imagevenue.com/loc347/th_225214606_28496324_480X3601_122_347lo.jpg (http://img190.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=225214606_28496324_480X3601_122_347l o.jpg)

and yes he was drunk :deadhorse:
just look at his eyes :deadhorse:

MACH1
07-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Seems a lil harsh to me until we find out all the facts? If indeed its all true, yea suspend him, by no means should he get off scott free!

I was being sarcastic.

Ben was accused, Hines was arrested so Der Kommissioner is going to have a field day with this. And probably give the pats* an extra draft pick to boot.

Atlanta Dan
07-09-2011, 10:42 AM

:sofunny:

Unless Hines already is in the susbtance abuse program, which I doubt, DWI does not give Goodell grounds to suspend Hines for a game, although Tomlin and the Rooneys might do so. Braylon Edwards simply did not start when he was charged with DWI last season

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5601080

As for the merits of the arrrest, a Braves pitcher was arrested for alleged DWI while supposedly racing his Porsche down Peachtree Street this spring and those charges were dropped, so maybe Ward can plead out to a lesser charge :noidea:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/dui-reckless-driving-charges-958483.html

SteelersinCA
07-09-2011, 11:33 AM
If he's smart, he'll hire bubba head.

ICSteelers
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Well, we almost made it through the lock-out without any real negative press.

What is it with the state of GA and Steeler icons? You would think high-profile players would stay the hell out of that state!

Let's hope some other NFL team's high-profile player makes a bigger splash!

Steelboy84
07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
:doh: :noidea:

steeltheone
07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Once again a millionaire driving...Why?.....Any well to do person who gets a DUI is just stupid....

TRH
07-09-2011, 01:42 PM
wow. Weren't we just recently known for our upstanding conduct and for just being "good people" ?
Another hit in a line of BS, dating back to when Santonio Holmes got busted, maybe even before that. Our team needs to get it together...if we get one more of something like this, we're not going be known as the team of high character but as a team of troublemakers. I actually feel we're already there.
Hines should have known better. All it takes is one swerve or somebody even hitting you and you can be pulled over in seconds. Anywhere. Anytime. Dumb move. S***, even if i have one drink, i never drive anymore, because i know i can get a DUI at any given moment.

thumper
07-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm not going to overreact until more comes out. DWI charges often
get dropped. And unless he does something else, it's doubtful he
will miss any time over this. If Hines had a "holier than thou" tude
when Ben had his troubles, this might wake him up a bit about having
such a tude.

Atlanta Dan
07-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to overreact until more comes out..

No point in overreacting regardless of what happened but more has come out

According to DeKalb police, Ward was stopped about 2:30 a.m. on Buford Highway near Briarwood Road after an officer noticed his Aston Martin failing to maintain lane and hitting a curb.

Ward failed a field sobriety test, and refused to take a breathalyzer test. He told officers he been at a downtown club, and had had two drinks.

According to police, a passenger in Ward’s car had not been drinking, and he was allowed to drive the car instead of it being impounded.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/steelers-receiver-hines-ward-1006903.html

At least he was sober enough to refuse the breathalyzer and remove all doubt while going with the always popular "two drinks" response when asked by the law how many drinks he had imbibed

Deserei90
07-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I can see the haters eating this up right now:banging:

Atlanta Dan
07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I was attempting to figure out WTF Hines would be doing on Buford Highway, which is not on the way from downtown ATL to Sandy Springs where Hines lives nor a center for Atlanta night life.

However, the location of the arrest is about one mile from this spot which is right off of Buford Highway :wink02:

http://www.showbars.com/about/pinkpony/

Deserei90
07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
This whole thing is going to get way blown out of proportion!! Watch. All the haters are going to start comparing this Incident to Ben's & Mendenhalls. I get tired of enough people saying "Only" Steeler players get in trouble. Since when is it only the Steeler players who causes controversy? Maybe a little more often then other players, but that's because the media blows it up in their faces and continues to get people talking about it. The Rooneys just can't catch a break. Eagle fans can't talk, Jets Fans, Pats fans, Cowboy fans and definitely Raven fans. Of course their going to talk, but they are just being Hypocrites about it, because their are times when one or two of their players are in the media for something worst then a DUI or being accused of rape or getting thrown under the bus for "Defending" a Terrorist.

steeltheone
07-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Date Name Team Position Incident Resolution
10/18/2009 Jeff Reed Pittsburgh K_ Arrested outside restaurant near Steelers' stadium, charged with resisting arrest, public intoxication after police say he raised fists while officers issued public urination citation to teammate Matt Spaeth. Charges of resisting arrest and simple assault dismissed, but ordered to 40 hours of community service.
10/18/2009 Matt Spaeth Pittsburgh TE Cited for public urination outside restaurant near Steelers' stadium after game. Teammate Jeff Reed arrested as part of incident.
2/14/2009 Jeff Reed Pittsburgh K_ Cited for criminal mischief and disorderly conduct after allegedly throwing tantrum in restroom of convenience store. He allegedly damaged towel dispenser after finding it empty. Pleaded guilty, $544 in fines.
10/23/2008 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Pittsburgh police pulled him over, found marijuana cigars, a misdemeanor charge. Dropped. Prosecutors agreed search warrant wasn't specific enough.
3/19/2008 Cedrick Wilson Pittsburgh WR Arrested and charged with simple assault, harrassment and disorderly conduct after allegedly hitting his former girlfriend in the face at bar. Team terminated his contract the next morning.
3/8/2008 James Harrison Pittsburgh LB Arrested on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief after police said he broke down a bedroom door at girlfriend's home after she locked herself in. Dropped after alleged victim decided not to pursue case and Harrison completed anger management counseling.
10/4/2007 Najeh Davenport Pittsburgh RB Charged with domestic violence, child endangerment and unlawful restraint after incident involving mother of his 5-year-old son, who suffered a swollen lip.
5/10/2007 Richard Seigler Pittsburgh LB Arrested on charges he ran a prostitution ring in Las Vegas, three felony counts. Cut by team same day. Case dropped in March 2008.
3/4/2007 Deshea Townsend Pittsburgh CB Charged with simple assault after incident at club on Pittsburgh's south side Dropped
8/6/2006 Barrett Brooks Pittsburgh OT Arrested after fleeing from Pittsburgh police on a motorcycle and charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an
unsafe speed and other traffic violations. Apologized, pleaded guilty, court costs
6/19/2006 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Holmes was arrested and charged by Columbus, Ohio, police with two misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and simple assault. Dropped
5/27/2006 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Holmes was among hundreds of people arrested for disorderly conduct as part of a police crackdown on revelers who annually converge on Miami Beach during the Memorial Day weekend. Dropped after paying $250
2/18/2006 Trai Essex Pittsburgh OL Arrested, charged with disorderly conduct at nightclub in Miami Dropped
7/12/2002 Marvel Smith Pittsburgh OT Arrested on marijuana possession charges in Tempe, Ariz. Dropped
5/11/2002 Plaxico Burress Pittsburgh WR Arrested on a charge of public intoxication in Virginia Beach, Va. One-year deferral
12/24/2001 Plaxico Burress Pittsburgh WR Cited for carrying an open bottle of Corona beer in Cleveland at 1:45 a.m. Christmas Eve, arrest warrant issued when he failed to appear Fined

Add Ward...Big Ben Looks like we deserve what we get...What a shame!

Atlanta Dan
07-09-2011, 06:36 PM
10/18/2009 Jeff Reed Pittsburgh K_ Arrested outside restaurant near Steelers' stadium, charged with resisting arrest, public intoxication after police say he raised fists while officers issued public urination citation to teammate Matt Spaeth. Charges of resisting arrest and simple assault dismissed, but ordered to 40 hours of community service.
10/18/2009 Matt Spaeth Pittsburgh TE Cited for public urination outside restaurant near Steelers' stadium after game. Teammate Jeff Reed arrested as part of incident.
2/14/2009 Jeff Reed Pittsburgh K_ Cited for criminal mischief and disorderly conduct after allegedly throwing tantrum in restroom of convenience store. He allegedly damaged towel dispenser after finding it empty. Pleaded guilty, $544 in fines.
10/23/2008 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Pittsburgh police pulled him over, found marijuana cigars, a misdemeanor charge. Dropped. Prosecutors agreed search warrant wasn't specific enough.
3/19/2008 Cedrick Wilson Pittsburgh WR Arrested and charged with simple assault, harrassment and disorderly conduct after allegedly hitting his former girlfriend in the face at bar. Team terminated his contract the next morning.
3/8/2008 James Harrison Pittsburgh LB Arrested on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief after police said he broke down a bedroom door at girlfriend's home after she locked herself in. Dropped after alleged victim decided not to pursue case and Harrison completed anger management counseling.
10/4/2007 Najeh Davenport Pittsburgh RB Charged with domestic violence, child endangerment and unlawful restraint after incident involving mother of his 5-year-old son, who suffered a swollen lip.
5/10/2007 Richard Seigler Pittsburgh LB Arrested on charges he ran a prostitution ring in Las Vegas, three felony counts. Cut by team same day. Case dropped in March 2008.
3/4/2007 Deshea Townsend Pittsburgh CB Charged with simple assault after incident at club on Pittsburgh's south side Dropped
8/6/2006 Barrett Brooks Pittsburgh OT Arrested after fleeing from Pittsburgh police on a motorcycle and charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an
unsafe speed and other traffic violations. Apologized, pleaded guilty, court costs
6/19/2006 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Holmes was arrested and charged by Columbus, Ohio, police with two misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and simple assault. Dropped
5/27/2006 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh WR Holmes was among hundreds of people arrested for disorderly conduct as part of a police crackdown on revelers who annually converge on Miami Beach during the Memorial Day weekend. Dropped after paying $250
2/18/2006 Trai Essex Pittsburgh OL Arrested, charged with disorderly conduct at nightclub in Miami Dropped
7/12/2002 Marvel Smith Pittsburgh OT Arrested on marijuana possession charges in Tempe, Ariz. Dropped
5/11/2002 Plaxico Burress Pittsburgh WR Arrested on a charge of public intoxication in Virginia Beach, Va. One-year deferral
12/24/2001 Plaxico Burress Pittsburgh WR Cited for carrying an open bottle of Corona beer in Cleveland at 1:45 a.m. Christmas Eve, arrest warrant issued when he failed to appear Fined

Add Ward...Big Ben Looks like we deserve what we get...What a shame!

Agreed it is a sorry and lengthy list, but I root for the laundry (meaning I root for whomever is wearing the Black & Gold) - if I was going to not support the Steelers due to off the field transgressions I would have bailed in 1973 when Fats Holmes had his crack up while shooting at a police helicopter and the Steelers front office pulled strings so that he not only did no time but did not miss a game

Deserei90
07-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Add Ward...Big Ben Looks like we deserve what we get...What a shame!Damn we got to do better. SMH:doh: Are we like the only team with a long list like this?

Stu Pidasso
07-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Ben was accused, Hines was arrested so Der Kommissioner is going to have a field day with this. And probably give the pats* an extra draft pick to boot.

Don't forget the $100,000 James Harrison fine on top of that.

fer522
07-09-2011, 07:30 PM
According to police, a passenger in Ward’s car had not been drinking, and he was allowed to drive the car instead of it being impounded.

really!! now im really pissed off :banging:
i guess Ward did not trust the other guy's driving skills:chuckle::chuckle:

stb_steeler
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
This whole thing is going to get way blown out of proportion!! Watch. All the haters are going to start comparing this Incident to Ben's & Mendenhalls. I get tired of enough people saying "Only" Steeler players get in trouble. Since when is it only the Steeler players who causes controversy? Maybe a little more often then other players, but that's because the media blows it up in their faces and continues to get people talking about it. The Rooneys just can't catch a break. Eagle fans can't talk, Jets Fans, Pats fans, Cowboy fans and definitely Raven fans. Of course their going to talk, but they are just being Hypocrites about it, because their are times when one or two of their players are in the media for something worst then a DUI or being accused of rape or getting thrown under the bus for "Defending" a Terrorist.

U left out the most important team....BUNGHOLES......They have more drunks than in the movie hangover!

stb_steeler
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Damn we got to do better. SMH:doh: Are we like the only team with a long list like this?

U know what?......this crap is the same for every other team out there. Look it up sometime, you'd be amazed. So it comes as no surprise to any of us really.

Deserei90
07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
U know what?......this crap is the same for every other team out there. Look it up sometime, you'd be amazed. So it comes as no surprise to any of us really.I agree. It's just anytime I hear something negative about a Steeler player. I just say here we go again........It's like I never stop saying it. But I agree. All the other team players are getting into trouble too. Not just us.

Deserei90
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
U left out the most important team....BUNGHOLES......They have more drunks than in the movie hangover!:rofl: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Bungles. Damn they are so forgettable. I forgot they even exist. Maybe it's because you don't see much of them on the field :chuckle:

Bricks46
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
The Steelers are bad boys. Should call them the Bad Boys.

redst3
07-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Its very sad

steeltheone
07-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Its very sad

It is sad...And the sad part is not that he drank...( he is human) ...that with all his money he had to drive...If i had his money i would never drive after a few beers.

Fire Arians
07-10-2011, 08:54 AM
i dont understand how these multi millionaires have DUI's period. If i was that rich I'd hire someone to drive me around whenever im on vacation

Stu Pidasso
07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
:rofl: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Bungles. Damn they are so forgettable. I forgot they even exist. Maybe it's because you don't see much of them on the field :chuckle:

Now that PacMan Jones just got arrested for DUI, we're all reminded of the Steaming Pile on the Ohio...

redst3
07-10-2011, 10:49 AM
It is sad...And the sad part is not that he drank...( he is human) ...that with all his money he had to drive...If i had his money i would never drive after a few beers.

I completely agree. I dont know why these guys lose their heads like that.

stb_steeler
07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
:rofl: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Bungles. Damn they are so forgettable. I forgot they even exist. Maybe it's because you don't see much of them on the field :chuckle:

I forgive you!........:wink02:

caplovestroyp43
07-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I LOVE Hines but that was just STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!! Lord! :doh::doh:

thumper
07-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Is this still America? Innocent until proven guilty? I remember saying J- Peezy
would get off from his latest arrest and people said I was crazy. And what
happened? J-Peezy was cleared of all charges. Let's stay American, people.

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Is this still America? Innocent until proven guilty? I remember saying J- Peezy
would get off from his latest arrest and people said I was crazy. And what
happened? J-Peezy was cleared of all charges. Let's stay American, people.

I take it you have not been following the Casey Anthony circus :noidea:

Let the jury consider their verdict,' the King said, for about the twentieth time that day.

'No, no!' said the Queen. 'Sentence first - verdict afterwards.'

Chapter 12 - Alice’s Adventure’s in Wonderland

DanRooney
07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
The team would be better off if they just cut his ass. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown obviously earned more playing time.

mcg24
07-10-2011, 09:58 PM
The team would be better off if they just cut his ass. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown obviously earned more playing time.

Yeah good call. We should have cut Ben Roethlisberger when he had the sexual assault allegations too. That would have went well. Better yet, why don't we just cut anyone when they do anything wrong. Let's cut James Harrison for not wanting to go to the White House. Let's cut Mendenhall for his questionable patriotic tweets.

Our team would be really good if we followed that mentality.

DanRooney
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah good call. We should have cut Ben Roethlisberger when he had the sexual assault allegations too. That would have went well. Better yet, why don't we just cut anyone when they do anything wrong. Let's cut James Harrison for not wanting to go to the White House. Let's cut Mendenhall for his questionable patriotic tweets.

Our team would be really good if we followed that mentality.

Difference is two of those players your mentioned play at an all-pro level. I'm not for cutting Hines because of having a couple of beers and driving. Hell I do that. He's a nice slot guy to have but he shouldn't be seeing the field for every snap. Those days have long past him. I wouldn't mind him in there as a 4th WR or 5th WR but his pride won't let him sit on the bench. Its time for the younger guys to see the #2 spot opposite Wallace.

caplovestroyp43
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM

That's about intelligent......:doh::doh::doh:

DanRooney
07-11-2011, 03:10 AM
That's about intelligent......:doh::doh::doh:

I have no idea what that means but if you think that Hines Ward is a better option than Sanders or even Brown, you are sadly mistaken. He doesn't scare defenses anymore (unless you're talking about blindside hits). This isn't 2004. Sanders is the same receiver as Ward; just as physical yet faster and more athletic. I like the swagger on Brown too. He seems to catch everything his way and has over the top speed . Ward at this point is only good for run blocking and getting open in zone coverage after Ben finds an extra 5 seconds to scramble in the backfield.

It's time to phase out these older guys. Aaron Smith shouldn't be a starter next year either. Though he still plays at a high level (unlike Ward), he obviously can't handle a 16 game season plus the postseason. Farrior should have his playing time taken down as well. I highly doubt Sylvester will have problems covering guys like Bernard Scott.

steeltheone
07-11-2011, 05:41 AM
I have no idea what that means but if you think that Hines Ward is a better option than Sanders or even Brown, you are sadly mistaken. He doesn't scare defenses anymore (unless you're talking about blindside hits). This isn't 2004. Sanders is the same receiver as Ward; just as physical yet faster and more athletic. I like the swagger on Brown too. He seems to catch everything his way and has over the top speed . Ward at this point is only good for run blocking and getting open in zone coverage after Ben finds an extra 5 seconds to scramble in the backfield.

It's time to phase out these older guys. Aaron Smith shouldn't be a starter next year either. Though he still plays at a high level (unlike Ward), he obviously can't handle a 16 game season plus the postseason. Farrior should have his playing time taken down as well. I highly doubt Sylvester will have problems covering guys like Bernard Scott.

I think you are sadly mistaken...Ward plays at a much higher level than any of the above mentioned...

steeltheone
07-11-2011, 05:45 AM
I take it you have not been following the Casey Anthony circus :noidea:

Let the jury consider their verdict,' the King said, for about the twentieth time that day.

'No, no!' said the Queen. 'Sentence first - verdict afterwards.'

Chapter 12 - Alice’s Adventure’s in Wonderland

When Ward refused the breathalyzer, he pretty much admitted guilt....He may get off because of a money attorney, but guilty he is.

Shane Oliver
07-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok... so wait.

Hines refused a Breathalyzer and he's guilty. And at this point, all this is speculation. And we're talking about cutting the guy. Land sakes.

I'd rather wait until I hear the facts before I'm screamin' "cut 'im". That's just me. Not that I'm of the opinion that he can do no wrong, but damn, let's make sure he's guilty first?!

Jimmy Shaker
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
You can't assemble a good football team with choir boys. I'll start giving a crap about the trouble they cause off the field when they start handing out morality trophies.

Atlanta Dan
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
When Ward refused the breathalyzer, he pretty much admitted guilt....He may get off because of a money attorney, but guilty he is.

No - he asserted his right to not take the breathalyzer - the idea that you must be guilty if you refuse to take a breathalyzer is as groundless as contending you need to consent to a search if the cops do not have a warrant or that if you assert your Fifth Amendemnt right against self-incrimination it ,means you are guilty - nobody is under an obligation to do whatever law enforcement requests to help them prove their case

As I stated in earlier link, Atlanta Braves pitcher Derek Lowe was arrested earlier this year for DWI

Lowe also denied drinking. The trooper said he “detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” after pulling Lowe over, but Head said the smell may have come from the pitcher’s chewing tobacco. Lowe refused to take a breath-analyzer test
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/dui-reckless-driving-charges-958483.html

All charges against Lowe subsequently were dropped.

I am not defending Ward - but assertion of rights is not an admission of guilt

fart
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Refusing a breathalyzer does not mean you're guilty - it's the smart thing to do, whether you have been drinking or not.

What's more telling is that he reportedly was swerving, bumped the curb, and failed the field test... either way, we'll find out soon enough.

thumper
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Would it be safe to say you don't understand the role of leadership? You
think Brown and Sanders could fill the leadership role of a Hines Ward?
You think football is merely a collection of talent and the story ends there?
A team without leadership - no matter the level of talent - is a team that
will under-achieve. Take that to the bank.

Sanders and Brown avg. about 20 grabs for the season and we are
to just feel like they can easily take up the slack for Ward? What,
b.c Brown catches one pass on his head in the play offs?

tanda10506
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM

That's pretty much all wrong. Sanders and Brown should get more snaps, other then that, all wrong.

thumper
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Anyone else wonder how Hines and Ben feel about Hines' pious attitude
when Ben was going through his crap? Where is your lecture now, Hines?
Ben should come out and say, "Hines is innocent until proven guilty. This
is America and that is one of the cornerstones of this country." That would
be the perfect thing to say and offer a great juxtaposition to how Hines acted
about Ben, who was never even charged with a crime.

DanRooney
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I think you are sadly mistaken...Ward plays at a much higher level than any of the above mentioned...

Must be his 5.2 speed that impresses you. Ward is basically a 2nd or 3rd mini TE on the field. I'll take Sanders/Brown playing any day over Ward. I'm sure you still think Randle El is just as good of an option.

DanRooney
07-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Would it be safe to say you don't understand the role of leadership? You
think Brown and Sanders could fill the leadership role of a Hines Ward?
You think football is merely a collection of talent and the story ends there?
A team without leadership - no matter the level of talent - is a team that
will under-achieve. Take that to the bank.

Sanders and Brown avg. about 20 grabs for the season and we are
to just feel like they can easily take up the slack for Ward? What,
b.c Brown catches one pass on his head in the play offs?

Yeah I'm sure you said the same thing about Mike Wallace after Holmes left...only Holmes is a much younger, athletic, and faster receiver than Ward (probably a better route runner too). They averaged however many grabs because they were on the bench watching Ward's production decline and Randle El fair-catching punt returns. Speaking of punt returns, I'm sure you wish Randle El was still back there instead of Brown. El is a leader, after all.

Leadership is vastly overrated. How do you think we beat the Ravens this year? Leadership? I'm sure the Ravens would have went with the younger speed guys instead of leaders like T.J., Stallworth, and Mason. Hell, by your logic McGahee should be starting over Ray Rice because he's older. We have a veteran team. You're acting like Hines is the only guy who's been in the 'burgh. We have Ben, Ward, El, Farrior, A. Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Harrison, Taylor, McFadden, etc.. What I'm trying to say is Wallace/Sanders/Brown scare defenses more than Ward/Randle El/Battle. You can have the latter.

steeltheone
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
No - he asserted his right to not take the breathalyzer - the idea that you must be guilty if you refuse to take a breathalyzer is as groundless as contending you need to consent to a search if the cops do not have a warrant or that if you assert your Fifth Amendemnt right against self-incrimination it ,means you are guilty - nobody is under an obligation to do whatever law enforcement requests to help them prove their case

As I stated in earlier link, Atlanta Braves pitcher Derek Lowe was arrested earlier this year for DWI

Lowe also denied drinking. The trooper said he “detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” after pulling Lowe over, but Head said the smell may have come from the pitcher’s chewing tobacco. Lowe refused to take a breath-analyzer test

All charges against Lowe subsequently were dropped.

I am not defending Ward - but assertion of rights is not an admission of guilt

Chewing Tobacco smelling like booze? He got a good lawyer..bottom line.. As will Ward.

mcg24
07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm trying to say is Wallace/Sanders/Brown scare defenses more than Ward/Randle El/Battle. You can have the latter.

Why did you even bring Randle El and Battle into the argument, those two having nothing to do with your idiotic notion that we should cut Ward. Battle doesn't play, and Randle El rarely sees a snap per game.

4th down in 5 at the goal line against the Baltimore Ravens, who would you rather throw to, Ward or Sanders? If you pick Sanders, you're a moron. End of argument, that's why we shouldn't cut Ward. Now stop making yourself look like a fool.

steeltheone
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Refusing a breathalyzer does not mean you're guilty - it's the smart thing to do, whether you have been drinking or not.

What's more telling is that he reportedly was swerving, bumped the curb, and failed the field test... either way, we'll find out soon enough.

Smart thing to do? If you take it and pass it none of this mess happens...In Pa. a refused breathalyzer is automatic 1 year license suspension.

DanRooney
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Why did you even bring Randle El and Battle into the argument, those two having nothing to do with your idiotic notion that we should cut Ward. Battle doesn't play, and Randle El rarely sees a snap per game.

Because Randle El is a leader on the team. A savvy vet who's very vocal and stays out of trouble. But, like Hines, he's on the downside of his career. Remember, Randle El was the #3 WR at the beginning of the season and the kickoff/punt returner all the way up until the Patriots game when his dropped passed resulted in a pick 6.

4th down in 5 at the goal line against the Baltimore Ravens, who would you rather throw to, Ward or Sanders? If you pick Sanders, you're a moron. End of argument, that's why we shouldn't cut Ward. Now stop making yourself look like a fool.

3rd down and 19 and the game is on the line against the Baltimore Ravens. If they get the ball back, they probably win via field goal while the time expires. Who do you throw to Brown or Ward? Wait this sounds awfully familiar...

But you're right though, Ben threw to Ward on a 3rd and 6 to end the game against the Jets in the AFC Champi....oops. I guess Ben is a moron for picking Brown.

mcg24
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
3rd down and 19 and the game is on the line against the Baltimore Ravens. If they get the ball back, they probably win via field goal while the time expires. Who do you throw to Brown or Ward? Wait this sounds awfully familiar...

But you're right though, Ben threw to Ward on a 3rd and 6 to end the game against the Jets in the AFC Champi....oops. I guess Ben is a moron for picking Brown.

You didn't answer my question.

fart
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Smart thing to do? If you take it and pass it none of this mess happens...In Pa. a refused breathalyzer is automatic 1 year license suspension.

What if the device gives a false reading, like they've been known to? Or, what if you are a little tipsy, and the time it takes to get you to the station and take the blood test drops you below the limit? I guess state laws are different, we don't have that here.

fart
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Ward may not be the player he once was but he still provides valuable production and leadership to the team. Only a fool would say otherwise.

Atlanta Dan
07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Chewing Tobacco smelling like booze? He got a good lawyer..bottom line.. As will Ward.

No matter how good the lawyer this will be a problem if it is on the cop's dashboard videocam

NFL receiver and former UGA standout Hines Ward mixed up letters when he was asked to recite the alphabet prior to his arrest on a drunk driving charge, according to the police report obtained by the AJC....

Ward submitted to field sobriety tests, but struggled to keep his balance, the report states. He allegedly told police he had recently had thumb surgery.:noidea:

"Next I asked him to recite the alphabet from D to X, which he mixed up letters and omitted letters," the arresting officer said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/cops-ward-swayed-couldnt-1010627.html

jjpro11
07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
he ****ed up.. some of you need to quit defending him. if he had jumped the curb and killed your loved one, how would you feel? i've always loved Hines, but this DUI shit is unforgivable. i am not going to call for his head or burn his jersey, but this is definitely a black eye on a guy we thought was an all-around model citizen off the field. yet another embarrassment to the fan base, especially those of us outside of Steelers country who have to put up with this shit from fans of other teams.

Steelers17
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
No matter how good the lawyer this will be a problem if it is on the cop's dashboard videocam

NFL receiver and former UGA standout Hines Ward mixed up letters when he was asked to recite the alphabet prior to his arrest on a drunk driving charge, according to the police report obtained by the AJC....

Ward submitted to field sobriety tests, but struggled to keep his balance, the report states. He allegedly told police he had recently had thumb surgery.:noidea:

"Next I asked him to recite the alphabet from D to X, which he mixed up letters and omitted letters," the arresting officer said.

Blood ETOH at least 0.2?? Feel free to fill in the question marks. :tt03:

steelerchad
07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I love #86. His jersey is the one I usually wear to games. He is at the end of the line though. His production dropped dramatically last year. He's not the same guy he was and once the decline starts it usually continues rapidly. Farrior had a decent boune back year last year after an awful 09 where he got beat every time he had to cover a back or TE. I figured this may be Ward's last year anyway. I look for him to be very average this year.
I'll miss him lighting up guys. Especially Ravens. But I don't think he laid anyone out last year either.

mcg24
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
he ****ed up.. some of you need to quit defending him. if he had jumped the curb and killed your loved one, how would you feel? i've always loved Hines, but this DUI shit is unforgivable. i am not going to call for his head or burn his jersey, but this is definitely a black eye on a guy we thought was an all-around model citizen off the field. yet another embarrassment to the fan base, especially those of us outside of Steelers country who have to put up with this shit from fans of other teams.

I wouldn't really say he has been a model citizen. Going to strip clubs the week of the Super Bowl? I know players are free to do whatever they like in their free time, but figure it out Hines...you are 35, start acting your age. He acts like a teenager. Not a smart one either...a stupid teenager.

SteelersinCA
07-11-2011, 11:49 PM

The recitation of the alphabet is not a standardized field sobriety test. Short answer: it doesn't count for shit. There is nothing in that article that leads me to believe he is or isn't under the influence.

As an attorney who has handled thousands of DUI cases, every single police report I have seen where someone is arrested for DUI, they have red bloodshot, watery eyes, the odor of an alcoholic beverage and lax facial muscles. That reads just like any other police report for DUI regardless of BAC.

Additionally, swaying while doing the FSTs is no indication of impairment either unless we know how much he swayed. People sway while sober doing those things. At best FSTs are 70% accurate in determining under the influence. if (big if) they are administered correctly.

Finally, if there is a dashboard cam (and the police are honest enough to record him instead of having him perform off camera) that will be the determinate factor. I don't know of a single DUI case in San Diego county involving video that has gone to trial without the accused being exonerated.

DanRooney
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM
You didn't answer my question.

I actually did before you even asked it :thumbsup:

DanRooney
07-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I love #86. His jersey is the one I usually wear to games. He is at the end of the line though. His production dropped dramatically last year. He's not the same guy he was and once the decline starts it usually continues rapidly. Farrior had a decent boune back year last year after an awful 09 where he got beat every time he had to cover a back or TE. I figured this may be Ward's last year anyway. I look for him to be very average this year.
I'll miss him lighting up guys. Especially Ravens. But I don't think he laid anyone out last year either.

Thank you. At least one person is logical on this board. Hines will go down as one of my all-time favorite Steelers. But he should be playing behind guys like Sanders and Brown at this point in his career. Those guys can help us win now. What you have in Ward is a tight end that's good for an occasional first down but poses practically no threat to any defense.

tanda10506
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I hope nobody on the Steeler's management tries to take some "moral high road" and suspend Ward for a game. Cause I'm sure it would be the first game, which we need him in. Seems like management on our team would do something like that, which would suck.

Shane Oliver
07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
You can't assemble a good football team with choir boys. I'll start giving a crap about the trouble they cause off the field when they start handing out morality trophies.

Hear, hear.

MLake
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.fatguysports.com/2011/07/18/longest-game-in-nfl-history%e2%80%a6-bengals-beat-steelers-2011-who-would-have-thought/

Click link above, if you want to read about Hines Ward's DUI; compared to the most recent BENGALS arrests.

Ravens
07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Ray Lewis called it!

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
So.....after one lackluster season in like fourteen seasons, we are ready to say Hines Ward is done and should hang up the cleats?

I recall just two seasons ago when he caught like 9 consecutive passes in the playoff game against the Jags and almost got us the win in the 4th quarter.

I recall just one season ago he had a 1000-yard receiving season.

And just a year later, he is over the hill?

Some of y'all are just kids always looking for the newer, flashier thing instead of sticking to what is tried and true. Some of Ward's dropoff in production was in the fact there is a second year speedster across the field from him thet Ben LOVES to throw to-- many times when he is not even the best option. Also, we had Holmes playing at #2 WR, and Holmes is still a much more complete receiver than Mike Wallace. He drew more attention than Wallace does and opened things up for Ward, and vice-versa. Other teams know that Wallace is still just a one trick pony.

thumper
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
So.....after one lackluster season in like fourteen seasons, we are ready to say Hines Ward is done and should hang up the cleats?

I recall just two seasons ago when he caught like 9 consecutive passes in the playoff game against the Jags and almost got us the win in the 4th quarter.

I recall just one season ago he had a 1000-yard receiving season.

And just a year later, he is over the hill?

Some of y'all are just kids always looking for the newer, flashier thing instead of sticking to what is tried and true. Some of Ward's dropoff in production was in the fact there is a second year speedster across the field from him thet Ben LOVES to throw to-- many times when he is not even the best option. Also, we had Holmes playing at #2 WR, and Holmes is still a much more complete receiver than Mike Wallace. He drew more attention than Wallace does and opened things up for Ward, and vice-versa. Other teams know that Wallace is still just a one trick pony.

If your "one trick" is catching bombs for TDs, to the tune of over
1,000 yards and 10 TDs, I will gladly except that "one trick" before
I would except the "one trick" of being just a possession WR who
offers no threat of making a big play. But I basically agree with you,
that assuming Brown and Sanders are more valuable than Ward
right now is not sound. Who was it who made the clutch TD grab to get us back
into the Super Bowl? Hines. But, if Wallace ONLY offers us a deep threat
to make huge TD plays, I will gladly accept that. The Ds have to always
worry about him doing that and that opens up other things. If they
have to keep a safety cheating over there - and they should - then
the other WRs can get open and/or the running game has 1 less
body to account for in the box. Hines is one of the greatest Steelers