PDA

View Full Version : Keisel is taking the off-season seriously...

Stlrs4Life
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Steelers | Keisel putting in extra time
Tue, 23 May 2006 05:33:26 -0700
Joe Bendel, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers DE Brett Keisel stayed after the team's voluntary workout to run. "We don't do much in these sessions, as far as veteran guys go," Keisel said. "Just trying to do some extra to stay in shape."

Here's more:

Just found the whole artice in the Trib-Review

Keisel lines up for starting role

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Long after most of his Steelers teammates had completed a voluntary workout on the South Side, Brett Keisel kept going ... and going ... and going.

The kinetic defensive end, flanked by fellow linemen Travis Kirschke and Rodney Bailey, repeatedly sprinted from sideline to sideline in an effort to make the most of his time on the field.

"We don't do much in these sessions, as far as veteran guys go," Keisel said, attempting to catch his breath. "Just trying to do some extra to stay in shape."

A fifth-year veteran, Keisel is taking nothing for granted, even though he is penciled in as the Steelers' starting defensive end next season in place of free-agent defector Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Although the Steelers invested $13.1 million over four years for Keisel to be their anchor on the right side of the defense, he said, "I always feel like I need to prove myself."

Keisel, 27, is coming off a season in which he accumulated three sacks in the regular season and two more in the playoffs. His two takedowns of Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer and forced fumble in the AFC championship game not only ensured a 34-17 victory at Invesco Field, but also showcased Keisel's quickness and agility.

"He's an unbelievable athlete," linebacker Larry Foote said of Keisel, a former basketball star in Greybull, Wyo., who was recruited by Ben Howland when the latter was head coach at Northern Arizona University. "Big guys aren't supposed to move like he does."

At 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Keisel lives up to his nickname "The Diesel." His engine never stops, and he operates like a finely tuned machine.

"He can even do a 360 dunk with a basketball," Foote said.

But can he be an every-down player for the Steelers? Is he mentally ready to step into a more prominent role, instead of doing most of his damage as a backup and on special teams? These questions will be answered at training camp and during the regular season.

Keisel has given every indication that he is ready to make the next step in his career, but nothing is guaranteed, given he has yet to start a game.

"When you come into this league, you dream about being a starter, to be on the field playing and trying to help your team win games," said Keisel, who will attempt to add four to five pounds before the start of training camp in July. "It's the reason you play. You don't come into this thinking, 'Well, if I can make it a few years on the roster ...' You want to play. You want to be on the field. And in order to do that, you gotta prove yourself.

"I have a ways to go, but I feel like I'm ready for this responsibility."

Keisel is adjusting to his switch from left to right defensive end. That might sound simple, but it is more complicated than it appears.

"Let's say you're right-handed," Keisel said. "Well, take your right hand away and start writing with your left hand. Or, take your right hand away and start eating with your left hand. Or drive with your left hand. You have to switch your whole mind-set from right to left or left to right. Now, I was fortunate to have had a lot of plays over there last season, so I got comfortable. But I still have room for improvement."

When the voluntary workout sessions conclude June 8, Keisel said, he will train in the high altitude of Greybull, which gives him a distinct advantage.

"I feel like I can run all day when I get back here," he said.

Keisel will enter training camp with more money than he ever would have imagined as a seventh-round pick from Brigham Young. But he conceded that he's been thrifty with his $3.29 million signing bonus.

"I remodeled my basement," he said. "That's about it."

Prosdo
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm very excited to get to see Keisel play some more. I think he is going to do very well for us.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
For those QB's and O-Coordinators that do not know who Keisel is,they will quickly find out this season when he kills them.

BB2W
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm very excited to get to see Keisel play some more. I think he is going to do very well for us.
Me too... :helmet:

clevestinks
05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree with Prosdo, I cant wait to see Keisel in action

Suitanim
05-23-2006, 06:36 PM
He's an upgrade at the position...sorry, Kimo.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
He's an upgrade at the position...sorry, Kimo.carson palmer doesnt want to hear that.

DIESELMAN
05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
He'll be bringing the "SICKNESS" !!!!!

Man_Of_Steel
05-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Keisel is one of the classiest players on the team. Always willing to spend time with the fans. He's a cool dude and I hope he kicks ass this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't wait to see more of Brett Keisel also. I think he should get 7-8 sacks this year since he is starting now. Steelers love those BYU Dlineman. Chris Hoke, Brett Keisel and Shaun Nua all went to BYU. Nua reminds me of Keisel so that would be cool if Nua could develop like Keisel did.

BigDude66687
05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
our dline is gonna be the sweet, this year, with Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Bailey, Hoke, and Harris on it were gonna have a 6 deep rotation that will wear out o-lines acrros the league, sry kirske your and not that good goodbye

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-23-2006, 11:44 PM

That's a bold statement... Kimo was no slouch, did his job well,tie up linemen to let LB's make tackles. I Love Keisel getting the chance now he just has to make most of it.

MasterOfPuppets
05-24-2006, 01:57 AM
upgrade/down grade remains to be seen....but i do have a hard time believing cowher based his starting line up last year on seniority....

HburgXL06
05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers, powered by DIESEL!

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
05-24-2006, 04:11 AM
The most important signing since winning XL.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-24-2006, 04:13 AM

Love the Moloka'i Man but Suit is right on the money. This cat is for real.

Suitanim
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
This is an easy one. Kimo is my age, and football is a young man's game.

aburdell
05-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Keisel is sick, i think he will be way better than kimo ever was and thats sayin alot. hes not as heavy but is just as strong and he is like james harrison in my eyes, harrison and keisel arent the typical size players but everytime they get in they make big plays. keisel, hampton and smith will be a awesome line this year. as u can tell i cant wait any longer

melroseplace
05-24-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm excited to see him in on some more action this season...I actually just met Brett earlier today. he's a genuinely nice guy

shevdog
05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
This is good to hear.