PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison to Magazine: Goodell a 'Devil'

Deserei90
07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") — and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

WOW, I don't think this was a good idea on James Harrison's part:noidea:

http://burgh.us/5tz

tunes4life
07-13-2011, 08:19 AM
James if your just going to throw your hard earned money out the window, please send it to me. I could use it. I can be reached through my Steeler Fever account.

steelerchad
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Damn.
I wish our players would stop doing interviews, tweeting, facebooking, etc.
Whatever happened to keeping your mouth shut and playing. Why light a fire under opposing players or the commissioner.

Deserei90
07-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Damn.
Whatever happened to keeping your mouth shut and playing. Why light a fire under opposing players or the commissioner.I agree.

harts
07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Harrison wasnt playing ball he would be bagging groceries.
He doesnt care
Goodell took a lot of money from James.
He probably saved enough and he set for life anyway.

What he said about Ben and Rashard's turnovers ..... that gave a total of 3 turnovers and we lose by a Touchdown.
Makes sense simply from that perspective

harts
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Damn.
Whatever happened to keeping your mouth shut and playing. Why light a fire under opposing players or the commissioner.

this all started when Goodell started fining guys out of the blue because ESPN replayed hits over and over and started the bad PR of "violent" hits

who cares about the commissioner hopefully the players smartened up and took some power away from Goodell in this new CBA

steelerchad
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
this all started when Goodell started fining guys out of the blue because ESPN replayed hits over and over and started the bad PR of "violent" hits

who cares about the commissioner hopefully the players smartened up and took some power away from Goodell in this new CBA

I'm certainly not on Goodell's side of the arguement. But there's a right way to handle things. And name calling in an interview that's going to print doesn't serve any good purpose at all. It will only bring more scrutiny to the Steelers when flags are thrown and fines levied. Stay under the radar, do your job, and maybe we'll get a call or 2 that goes our way this season. As far as calling out Cushing, why do it. We play the Texans this year and maybe that roid monkey takes a cheap shot at Wallace. Why light the fire? And as far as calling out players on your own team. You should never do that even if it's true. Not in the media anyway. If you have a problem with a guy address with him personally or with the team behind closed doors. Putting it out in the media after the fact serves no purpose and could disrupt the team going into the season.

What if James had a big 15 yard penalty in the SB for a late hit and on the next play Rodgers threw the winning TD. Should his team mates call him out? You win as a team and lose as a team. Maybe if James gets to Rodgers and sacks him or just gets a hand in his face instead of letting him complete a crucial 3rd and 10 late in the game we win. How bout the fact that their D forced 3 TO's and ours didn't force any? Isn't that partly Harrison's fault also. We forced TO's all year long and in the biggest game we couldn't even get 1.

austinfrench76
07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
I couldn't agree more with steelerchad. The reason teammates don't call each other out is because it is rarely one event that changes the face of the game. There are ususally multiple things that have happened and for a guy that had numerous penalties that hurt his team, I would think he would be more cognizant of that. Damn, it's not so much bad as it is dumb. Just plain old dumb.

austinfrench76
07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Great point from James Walker:

From an NFC North perspective, I've got exactly two cents on the ridiculous comments of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison in a recent interview with Men's Journal.

$0.01: Harrison took a shot at Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for throwing two interceptions in Super Bowl XLV against the Packers. Harrison's line for that game: 1 tackle. It was a sack that came on a stunt designed to get him away from Packers left tackle Chad Clifton, who pretty much owned him for the entire game. Packers center Scott Wells knocked Harrison down. He got up, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers stepped right into him. Perhaps if Harrison had done more to help the Steelers win, he would have been in better position to evaluate the performance of his teammates.

$0.02: There will be some people, including NFL players, who think Harrison's message -- that the NFL made an example of him last season -- is valid, even if his expression was poorly executed. I side with Chicago Bears safety Chris Harris, who tweeted Wednesday morning: "Man James Harrison is a GOON!"

Carry on.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
07-13-2011, 12:17 PM
He shouldn't be throwing Ben and Mendenhall under the bus for their Super Bowl performance. Win as a team and lose as a team. Remember that Harrison only had 1 tackle in the Super Bowl and was owned by Chad Clifton almost every time he tried to pass-rush.

steeltheone
07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Wow ...James....I don't care about the Goodell comments but let our players out of it!

SoCalFan
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Is the coaching staff loosing control??? Just sayin,alot happening lately!

cloppbeast
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I can't begin to fathom what this dude was thinking when he made those comments.....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Steelers decided to trade Harrison.

BIGNASTY91
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I can't begin to fathom what this dude was thinking when he made those comments.....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Steelers decided to trade Harrison.

I agree that what he said about his teammates was uncalled for, but love the sh*@ talking about goodell. As for TRADING HARRISON that would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make!!

TRH
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I like Jame's toughness, but stupid things to say.
First, now the league will come down even harder on James (and this team) when they have an opportunity.
Second, its fueling nationwide 'anti-Pittsburgh' sentiment.
Third, don't call out your teammates,,,especially when you didn't do s*** in the super bowl.

This should be Tomlin's first locker room displine shout/speech on day one :
"No facebook posts about this team. No "tweeting" on Twitter about this team. Or other teams. Or your teammates. Or opposing players. No discussing Roger Goodell with a member of the media. Period. If YOU DO....there will be consequences and get ready to write me a BIG check. Do i make myself clear?"
Or something like that.

cloppbeast
07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree that what he said about his teammates was uncalled for, but love the sh*@ talking about goodell. As for TRADING HARRISON that would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make!!

He's 30-something and currently just keeping the seat warm until Worilds is ready. He has a big contract. The Steelers will need to sign some big name players in the next few years: Polamalu, Timmons, Wallace, all of which will require a bunch of money. If Worilds is ready this year, it makes sense to trade Harrison. The Steelers could easilly get a 1st rounder in return. Even if Worilds isn't ready, they could always move Timmons over and put Foote at MLB.

I'm not saying it would be a great move for our chances this season, but in the long run it isn't stupid. Considering all the off season crap the Steelers have put up with during the last several years, trading Harrison would send quite a message. It's not like Harrison has been a model citizen anyway; he has a history of doing dumb, irresponsible, and immoral shit.

For Christ's sake, they traded Holmes cause he smoked a little pot! Which, in my opinion, ultimately cost the Steelers the Super Bowl.

SacknificentStew56
07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Is the coaching staff loosing control??? Just sayin,alot happening lately!

Maybe ol' Ratbird Ray was right about crime going up during the lockout because the BIGGEST crime committed is JH going at Ben and Shard. The SB has been over for about five months and you're still commenting on it and blasting your teammates, too. WOW!!

bobby jr
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
James Harrison should be suspended for the Baltimore game for this. And probably beyond that.

Saying such things about the Commissioner. I don't see how they have any choice but to do something about this and not just a small fine. Saying the commis is a crook, that brings the integrity of the game into the conversation. Totally out of line,

SacknificentStew56
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Silverback is giving Goodell way too much power over him with the ongoing interviews slamming him all the time. I thought he got his point across a long time ago. Maybe it's just me.

Steelers17
07-13-2011, 02:28 PM
It does not appear that James is overly concerned about Roethlisberger possibly requiring foot surgery in the undefined future.

Of the two interceptions Roethlisberger threw in the Steelers` Super Bowl loss to the Packers, Harrison told Men`s Journal, "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the ĎD` to bail you out again," Harrison said. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain`t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_746513.html

:tt03:

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
And there's more :chuckle::banging:

On the 2004 season:
“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”...

On Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu:
“He’s the one guy in football I respect absolutely, ‘cause he’s spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin’. He’s so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his ass, and Goodell would smile and say thank you.”

http://www.mensjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_7134-final1.jpg

http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

Farrior_roirraW
07-13-2011, 02:55 PM
:doh:

Man, oh man...

Bill Cowher's Jaw
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29243/roethlisberger-fine-with-james-harrison

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I like Jame's toughness, but stupid things to say.
First, now the league will come down even harder on James (and this team) when they have an opportunity.
Second, its fueling nationwide 'anti-Pittsburgh' sentiment.
Third, don't call out your teammates,,,especially when you didn't do s*** in the super bowl.

This should be Tomlin's first locker room displine shout/speech on day one :
"No facebook posts about this team. No "tweeting" on Twitter about this team. Or other teams. Or your teammates. Or opposing players. No discussing Roger Goodell with a member of the media. Period. If YOU DO....there will be consequences and get ready to write me a BIG check. Do i make myself clear?"
Or something like that.

:thumbsup:

Well said - this franchise used to have a rep as a class organization but it is turning into the 70s Raiders

I do not think pro athletes have gotten dumber - the difference is in a society that lives by the principle there is no such thing as bad publicity some of these guys enjoy popping off and as soon as they say something it goes viral over the internet

ebsteelers
07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
He shouldn't be throwing Ben and Mendenhall under the bus for their Super Bowl performance. Win as a team and lose as a team. Remember that Harrison only had 1 tackle in the Super Bowl and was owned by Chad Clifton almost every time he tried to pass-rush.

owned? helded? same thing...

BIGNASTY91
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Everyone, including me, was all upset at some or all parts of this story when it first broke. But the more i read into it and hear details its not all bad. Harrison is pissed at goodell, pissed at losing the super bowl! (and rightfully so) he has voiced his opinion and its all out in the open. If anything it might be good he did this. All the players on this team are still pissed about the super bowl loss, and i can see them using this as motivation to get back and win it this year!!!!!!!! They have something to prove and i dont think they will let anything stand in there way this year!!
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

DanRooney
07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
It does not appear that James is overly concerned about Roethlisberger possibly requiring foot surgery in the undefined future.

Of the two interceptions Roethlisberger threw in the Steelers` Super Bowl loss to the Packers, Harrison told Men`s Journal, "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the ĎD` to bail you out again," Harrison said. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain`t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_746513.html

:tt03:

He did hand the ball off. Then Mendenhall met Clay Matthews in the backfield..:chuckle:

tanda10506
07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm glad he said what he did about Goodell, I wish more players would. Goodell is ruining the game and there are no words or names to harsh for him. He should have not said anything about the Super Bowl or any teammate.

tucker6
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I won't be surprised if the Rooney's make an example of Harrison to the rest of the team. I question whether he will be with the team when the season starts. James isn't getting any younger, and while we can't fill his spot today as well as he can fill it, we can fill it well enough and can bring in other players in a trade to fill more pressing needs. Just say'in.

steeltheone
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM

I worry about Harrison this year anyhow...Back surgery and 33 years old are not a good mix...

realdeal
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
James Harrison should be suspended for the Baltimore game for this. And probably beyond that.

Saying such things about the Commissioner. I don't see how they have any choice but to do something about this and not just a small fine. Saying the commis is a crook, that brings the integrity of the game into the conversation. Totally out of line,

Cmon Bobby?

Are you a Steeler fan? Roger Goodell is a crook and covered up for the Gaytriots and the whole Spygate debacle. I'm glad someone has the sack to point this out!! Goodell is on the owners side and not the players!!

F Goodell and the Patriots!!

Deserei90
07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Cmon Bobby?

Are you a Steeler fan? Roger Goodell is a crook and covered up for the Gaytriots and the whole Spygate debacle. I'm glad someone has the sack to point this out!! Goodell is on the owners side and not the players!!

F Goodell and the Patriots!!No Booby is not a Steeler fan. Fortunately for us, he's a Ravens Fan:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Cmon Bobby?

Are you a Steeler fan?

You apparently were not visiting here during week 12 or before the Steelers-Ravens playoff game last season

bobby jr stirs the pot and then moves on after his Ravens gag yet again

steelerchad
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
You apparently were not visiting here during week 12 or before the Steelers-Ravens playoff game last season

bobby jr stirs the pot and then moves on after his Ravens gag yet again

That's exactly what he does and has done time and time again.
No booby, the league won't suspend Harrison for this. They may fine him, but no suspension. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers sit him for the Ravens game though. They've done it in the past. The Steelers may be one of the few teams that would consider a move like that against their division rival in week one. We won't need Harrison to beat the Ravens anyway. Remember, Ben is playing and Flacco's O fer against the Steelers with Ben.

I thought Harrison would be cut before the 2012 season anyway and this just solidifies that prediction. His escalating salary and age come to a point where the juice isn't worth the squeeze after the 2011 season is over. His behavior just makes that decision easier in my opinion. Barring a major developmental setback by Worilds James has no more than 1 more season as a Steeler.

BIGNASTY91
07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
I worry about Harrison this year anyhow...Back surgery and 33 years old are not a good mix...

I too have some concerns, but after hearing about his off season workouts (sometimes two a day) I think he will be in tip top shape and ready to play and be a dominant force!

truesteelerfan
07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Good for him for not always taking the high road....Sometimes when you're in a fight with a dirty player like Lord Goodell....you have to fight dirty back....Yes, he'll probably be fined....but really...what other option does he have...follow the lemmings who fall into line and keep quiet when things aren't fair....Good for him...lol- I'd say give him an extention and more money...but I think he's paid just fine....Go Steelers! Leaders speak the truth, even the the truth isn't popular.

stb_steeler
07-13-2011, 09:14 PM
NFL net reports....Rooney states, he will deal with Harrison after the lockout gets resolved.

stb_steeler
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Everyone, including me, was all upset at some or all parts of this story when it first broke. But the more i read into it and hear details its not all bad. Harrison is pissed at goodell, pissed at losing the super bowl! (and rightfully so) he has voiced his opinion and its all out in the open. If anything it might be good he did this. All the players on this team are still pissed about the super bowl loss, and i can see them using this as motivation to get back and win it this year!!!!!!!! They have something to prove and i dont think they will let anything stand in there way this year!!
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

yeah but playing pissed off never helps.....It only makes you over confident.

bobby jr
07-13-2011, 09:44 PM
That's exactly what he does and has done time and time again.
No booby, the league won't suspend Harrison for this. They may fine him, but no suspension. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers sit him for the Ravens game though. They've done it in the past. The Steelers may be one of the few teams that would consider a move like that against their division rival in week one. We won't need Harrison to beat the Ravens anyway. Remember, Ben is playing and Flacco's O fer against the Steelers with Ben.

I thought Harrison would be cut before the 2012 season anyway and this just solidifies that prediction. His escalating salary and age come to a point where the juice isn't worth the squeeze after the 2011 season is over. His behavior just makes that decision easier in my opinion. Barring a major developmental setback by Worilds James has no more than 1 more season as a Steeler.

So the fact that Ben has won all the games against Flacco means the Ravens have no chance? Come on even you don't believe that. Several of those games have been close and Joe led the Ravens to a dramatic game winning TD last year in Pittsburgh.
Granted Ben wasn't playing in that game but the Steelers scored more points without him in Pittsburgh than they did with him in Baltimore.

The Steelers may win that first game but the oddsmakers will favor the Ravens as they should.

But getting back to Harrison, how can anyone say he should not be suspended? I was brought up to respect authority. In MLB and the NFL a player can't even mouth off about the umpire or the referee. To say he wouldn't save Goddell if he were on fire, to say that the Commissioner is dishonest, a devil., these type of statements are on the border of pure evil. I don't care about Goddell one way or the other but I don't think any player should be able to say such things about the commissioner with impunity. If Ray Lewis or Ed Reed had said this I'd be for a suspension.

mcg24
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
So the fact that Ben has won all the games against Flacco means the Ravens have no chance? Come on even you don't believe that. Several of those games have been close and Joe led the Ravens to a dramatic game winning TD last year in Pittsburgh.
Granted Ben wasn't playing in that game but the Steelers scored more points without him in Pittsburgh than they did with him in Baltimore.

The Steelers may win that first game but the oddsmakers will favor the Ravens as they should.

But getting back to Harrison, how can anyone say he should not be suspended? I was brought up to respect authority. In MLB and the NFL a player can't even mouth off about the umpire or the referee. To say he wouldn't save Goddell if he were on fire, to say that the Commissioner is dishonest, a devil., these type of statements are on the border of pure evil. I don't care about Goddell one way or the other but I don't think any player should be able to say such things about the commissioner with impunity. If Ray Lewis or Ed Reed had said this I'd be for a suspension.

"So the fact that Ben has won all the games against Flacco means the Ravens have no chance?"

Yes

"Granted Ben wasn't playing in that game"

Nope he wasn't, and we always win when he plays

" I was brought up to respect authority."

I was brought up to question authority. You are an annoying little whiner and troll, I'm a normal human being.

And why must you always complain about the Ravens losing? Harrison's words have nothing to do with your pathetic Ravens.

Sixburgher
07-13-2011, 10:20 PM
If Ray Lewis or Ed Reed had said this I'd be for a suspension.

:rolleyes:

Sure you would. Much more likely you'd roll out a litany of excuses as to why they shouldn't be suspended.

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Like this?

Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason isn't backing down a week after calling NFL commissioner Roger Goodell "a joke."

In an appearance on ESPN2, Mason reiterated his message by wearing a t-shirt with "A JOKE" printed on it. He said he has yet to receive any negative feedback from players.

ďI donít think anybody disagreed with me,Ē Mason said. ďAnybody that understands whatís been going on in the game of football, on the inside, not just on the outside but anyone thatís been in it, they understand that. Honestly ó Iím not saying this to disrespect him in any way ó what has he done for the game of football to move it forward?"

Mason added, "Everything that has been done has been done by Pete Rozelle, [Paul] Tagliabue, people that came before him. But the thing is, he hasnít done anything significant to change the game of football.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/04/mason_isnt_backing_down_on_goodell.html

caplovestroyp43
07-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Cmon Bobby?

F Goodell and the Patriots!!

I got one thing to say to that realdeal....and that is....

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Aussie Steeler
07-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Talking bad about Rodger Goodell is all well and good.

But to publicly, and in no decent fashion, put your current teammates under the bus like that - is absolutely inexcusable.

Pit fan from Mass.
07-14-2011, 05:52 AM
i like mendenhal but he does have a fumbling problem,

Ben definitely tries being John Wayne too much and the playoffs arent the time or the place to be doing it. ive seen ben get sacked or try to force balls in places that he shouldnt when he has heath miller wide open 8 yards down the field. The truth is if we didnt have a lights out defense we wouldnt be nowhere. just like when troy picks up for others mistakes our defense picks up for Bens mistakes. he dont play too well in the playoffs and it puts A LOT of pressure on the defense... especially when its playoff time and they are draining out from a rough season. James is just sick of it and im willing to bet a lot of the defense is too. im also willing to bet that this isnt the first that Bens heard, from James or any other player/coach that hes making too many stupid decisions.

we grow to know and like these people from what they do for a living. and thats play ball. i dont hear any of you giving praises to Limas Sweed cause he did some charity event or something for the community. i hear ya hating on him, and the reason for that is he sucks, its hipocriticle that james cant talk negative about his teammates cause of their issues, but some of you guys go right ahead and call james out and rashard out and santonio etc. etc. when they have issues that make you upset. you give them praises all year when they are winning games for ya and getting sacks touchdown etc. but if they mess up on/off the field you turn your back on them and throw them under the bus.

my opinion is they can say whatever they want cause its their lives. they are the ones dealing and living with all the BS that us fans ONLY SEE on tv and then carry on with our normal lives once we turn off sportscenter. as far as im concerned James gets my respect as long as he keeps doing what hes done that earned my respect in the first place.... and thats playing great football.

The league needs more people like Harrison in it. saying it the way it is and not hiding behind politicaly correct, fake, pre determined, generic answers. the NFL is becoming way too politicle, and is starting to evolve from the lower/middle class of america to the snobby pretentious upperclass scubags that take the pride, soul and human spirit out of everything and turn it into dollars and cents.

steelerchad
07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
i like mendenhal but he does have a fumbling problem,

Ben definitely tries being John Wayne too much and the playoffs arent the time or the place to be doing it. ive seen ben get sacked or try to force balls in places that he shouldnt when he has heath miller wide open 8 yards down the field. The truth is if we didnt have a lights out defense we wouldnt be nowhere. just like when troy picks up for others mistakes our defense picks up for Bens mistakes. he dont play too well in the playoffs and it puts A LOT of pressure on the defense... especially when its playoff time and they are draining out from a rough season. James is just sick of it and im willing to bet a lot of the defense is too. im also willing to bet that this isnt the first that Bens heard, from James or any other player/coach that hes making too many stupid decisions.

we grow to know and like these people from what they do for a living. and thats play ball. i dont hear any of you giving praises to Limas Sweed cause he did some charity event or something for the community. i hear ya hating on him, and the reason for that is he sucks, its hipocriticle that james cant talk negative about his teammates cause of their issues, but some of you guys go right ahead and call james out and rashard out and santonio etc. etc. when they have issues that make you upset. you give them praises all year when they are winning games for ya and getting sacks touchdown etc. but if they mess up on/off the field you turn your back on them and throw them under the bus.

my opinion is they can say whatever they want cause its their lives. they are the ones dealing and living with all the BS that us fans ONLY SEE on tv and then carry on with our normal lives once we turn off sportscenter. as far as im concerned James gets my respect as long as he keeps doing what hes done that earned my respect in the first place.... and thats playing great football.

The league needs more people like Harrison in it. saying it the way it is and not hiding behind politicaly correct, fake, pre determined, generic answers. the NFL is becoming way too politicle, and is starting to evolve from the lower/middle class of america to the snobby pretentious upperclass scubags that take the pride, soul and human spirit out of everything and turn it into dollars and cents.

If you read the article, he says a little more than I'm comfortable with. First, Mendenhall's fumble issues were put to rest with only 2 fumbles in 324 carries last year. One of the best ratios in the NFL. He has a big one in the SB and it may have cost us the game, but you don't call out your team mates 2nd hand in a magazine article. That's disruptive to the team at the minimum.
He bashed Goodell, OK fine there's a history there. But you can't use a homosexual slur in quote nowadays and get away with it unscathed. James said what he said and he'll have to deal with the consequences. I believe he will sit a game if not by the league, then by the Steelers. I really think what's going to get him is calling Goodell a homosexual slur, which I wasn't aware of until listening to NFL radio this morning. I think he may have slid through without suspension if not for that.

steelerchad
07-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Of course the Ravens have a chance to beat the Steelers. I never said they had no chance. In fact, they have a decent chance and the chances get better if Harrison and/or Ward won't be playing. I still like our chances without either or both of those guys against the Ravens though. I give the Ravens a 40% chance at home of beating us and a 30% chance of beating us later in the season at Heinz Field. Of course those % can change based on injuries and other factors but that's how I'd see it now. It will be interesting to see how the Ravens respond to another choke job in a big close game against the Steelers. It would be just like the Ravens to eek out a close win at home in week 1 without some key Steelers on the field only to lose the "bigger game in November with the division on the line.

bobby jr
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Of course the Ravens have a chance to beat the Steelers. I never said they had no chance. In fact, they have a decent chance and the chances get better if Harrison and/or Ward won't be playing. I still like our chances without either or both of those guys against the Ravens though. I give the Ravens a 40% chance at home of beating us and a 30% chance of beating us later in the season at Heinz Field. Of course those % can change based on injuries and other factors but that's how I'd see it now. It will be interesting to see how the Ravens respond to another choke job in a big close game against the Steelers. It would be just like the Ravens to eek out a close win at home in week 1 without some key Steelers on the field only to lose the "bigger game in November with the division on the line.

I disagree that the Ravens choked against the Steelers last year in the playoffs. They were tired in the 2nd half after the KC game and then a short week. The Steelers had a bye and were better rested. That was key to the 2nd half, not a choke job.

The Steelers collapsed against the Jets in the playoffs in the 2nd half the next week they had a big enough lead that they barely won. Collapsing in the 2nd half happens and it isn't always choking.

dysthymic
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
IMO the real issue is that the Rooney's spent decades growing the Steeler brand as a solid organization owned by a classy, solid family and then, you have allegedged sexual assaults, DUI's, and idiotic, classless comments to tarnish the organization. Makes the owners and coaching staff look real bad.

steelerschik
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I disagree that the Ravens choked against the Steelers last year in the playoffs. They were tired in the 2nd half after the KC game and then a short week. The Steelers had a bye and were better rested. That was key to the 2nd half, not a choke job.

The Steelers collapsed against the Jets in the playoffs in the 2nd half the next week they had a big enough lead that they barely won. Collapsing in the 2nd half happens and it isn't always choking.

Let me ask you, why are you here? We already know your Steelers envy runs deep, that's painfully obvious, but man when a Steeler does something some consider "negative", man you can't wait to get here and jump on the Steelers. Rather pathetic and sad. Says a lot about your charachter.

Listen up Bubby, your team is no better, there are criminals throughout it and your organization is fine with that. Your whiny head coach applauds and inspires the thuggery that is the Baltimore Ravens. You have the most EXCUSES for why the Ravens continue to be our little brother than anyone I've seen and they get more comedic as time goes on. What's also painfully obvious is your wishes and dreams of Harrison and Hines not playing in the first game of the season. I know, I can't blame you there. I wouldn't want them on the field against my team either, but it really won't matter much in the end anyway.

You are a flamer. You come here just to get a rise out of the Steelers fans, but in the end you always get owned which is laugh out loud funny. But keep on flaming and keep on making the excuses because you won't show up again until some negative light is shined upon the Steelers or the Ravens actually beat them. Must suck to be you having to live in the shadow of the Pittsburgh Steelers that the envy is just consuming you. I can't imagine how that must feel.

cloppbeast
07-14-2011, 10:41 AM
IMO the real issue is that the Rooney's spent decades growing the Steeler brand as a solid organization owned by a classy, solid family and then, you have allegedged sexual assaults, DUI's, and idiotic, classless comments to tarnish the organization. Makes the owners and coaching staff look real bad.

If the Rooneys truly wish to maintain the Steelers' solid image, they need to put consequences on such foolish actions. I'll never understand why crap like this blows over, but a little weed gets Holmes traded. :bs:

Ben faced 2 rape allegations and wrecked his motorcycle without wearing a helmet, which should have violated his contract, but he stays on the team.

Harrision beat up his g/f, which was enough to kick Wilson to the curb, but he stayed on the team. Now Harrison calls his teammates out and calls Goodell a 'crook' and a 'devil'. For the Steelers to do nothing, it would make them total frauds.

steelerchad
07-14-2011, 10:42 AM

The difference in the 2 games is the Ravens choked and lost and the Steelers didn't. Comon, at halftime the Ravens thought they had it in the bag. If you think that short arm 5 yard out that Flacco threw in the ground wasn't a choke job then I don't know what is. Also, Mr. Ray Rice had zero fumbles all year and then coughed (choked) one up. Hey it happens the Ravens choked, just like the Steelers did in the SB.

Wallace108
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM

I get what you're saying, but let me present a different perspective ...

The Steelers have always run a class organization and have dealt effectively with bad apples. Hines has been a model player throughout his entire career and made one mistake. I wouldn't exactly call him a bad apple. It's not like we're talking about Pacman Jones.

I think we can all agree that Ben has put himself in some bad situations, but at the risk of bringing up this old argument again, Ben was only accused of sexual assault. He wasn't convicted, or even charged. A lot of people are accused of things they didn't do. I'm glad the Rooneys stood by him and didn't kick him to the curb based only on allegations.

As far as Harrison, I kind of compare him to Lambert. They both had/have the same ferocious mentality on the field. And let's not forget some of Lambert's comments directed at the league ... like maybe quarterbacks should wear dresses. I'd love to see what Lambert had to say if he played in today's 24/7 in-your-face media environment. The only thing I disagree with Harrison on is the way he threw his teammates under the bus.

I don't think the Steelers' philosophy or how they run the organization has changed. What has changed is the NFL and the media ... and not for the better.

Curtain_of_Steel
07-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm curious how the current off the filed actions are going to pan out throughout the NFL.

I'm only guessing here. But since there is no NFLPA contract, owners locked them out, no bonuses etc being paid. The players technically are unemployed and there is not NFL conduct policy or anyone for that matter who can enforce it since there are no contracts. You can't enforce something that doesn't exist.

That is what the players will argue when Goodell comes a knocking with some fine's etc. I think the players will have a super strong argument to cite the 1st amendement, and the fact that they have no contract thereby having no rules to follow. Goodell will argue it, but I can not see him winning on anything other than a stern talk.

BTW I knew Harrison would say something to Goodell on the podium. I said it at my party. Actually I said he should've goldberg'ed him with a spear shot right off the podium. than say, im retiring.
To bad like Harrison said, we had 3 untimely turnovers, lol

caplovestroyp43
07-14-2011, 12:12 PM

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Keep bringing the excuses! They DID choke. It's all they are good for when the chips are down!

:tt02:

DanRooney
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Tired? Did he really use that excuse for the Ravens to implode in the playoffs? The Packers didn't look 'tired' and they didn't have a bye week.

cloppbeast
07-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Tired? Did he really use that excuse for the Ravens to implode in the playoffs? The Packers didn't look 'tired' and they didn't have a bye week.

The Steelers had 2 weeks of rest to prepare for the Ravens. The Ravens, on the other hand, had less than a week (they played on Sunday the week before, Saturday against the Steelers.) You would be foolish if you thought the Steelers didn't benefit from the arrangement. I won't say the Steelers only won because they were well rested, but it was certainly a factor.

steelerchad
07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
The Steelers had 2 weeks of rest to prepare for the Ravens. The Ravens, on the other hand, had less than a week (they played on Sunday the week before, Saturday against the Steelers.) You would be foolish if you thought the Steelers didn't benefit from the arrangement. I won't say the Steelers only won because they were well rested, but it was certainly a factor.

Yeah. But if you know the history, Boob Jr. was saying just the opposite before the game. He felt like the easy stomping of KC would propell the Ravens with momentum and that the week off would hurt us by being rusty. Oh well, won't be the first time or the last he was wrong.

jjpro11
07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
why are you guys responding to Bobby jr? he is by far the biggest troll on here. just ignore him and he'll go away.

as for Harrison's comments.. yet another embarrassing moment for the Steelers. one of the way too many over the past several years.

cloppbeast
07-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah. But if you know the history, Boob Jr. was saying just the opposite before the game. He felt like the easy stomping of KC would propell the Ravens with momentum and that the week off would hurt us by being rusty. Oh well, won't be the first time or the last he was wrong.

I'm sure he's a fool, this Bobby Jr. A typical Ratbird. I'm surprised he didn't blame the officials.