PDA

View Full Version : Where Is The Class Pittsburgh?

SlackerCSB
07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Roethlisberger with all his troubles off the field.
Mendenhall with his twitter nonsense.
Ward with the DUI.

and now Harrison with his "wouldn't piss on the commissioner" comments.

I've been a fan since birth and bleed black and gold, but I'm really getting disappointed with this team. I dislike Godell as much as the next guy, but let's get back to having some class Pittsburgh. Makes me a little less excited to watch on Sundays...

steeltheone
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
He has a reason to be pissed at Goodell...The other off the field stuff is plain terrible!

TRH
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
This is a fact : As little as approx. 3 years ago, the Steeler were the "class" and upstanding moral citizens of league, no question. We weren't perfect, but certainly stood at # 1 in the entire NFL.
We've now lost that crown. In fact, "hard-hitting" reputations aside that other clubs fans don't like, we are now dwelling near the bottom of the league, maybe even last.
If there's a camp this year, Tomlin needs to come in with an iron fist, and i mean an iron fist.

BIGNASTY91
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
This is a fact : As little as approx. 3 years ago, the Steeler were the "class" and upstanding moral citizens of league, no question. We weren't perfect, but certainly stood at # 1 in the entire NFL.
We've now lost that crown. In fact, "hard-hitting" reputations aside that other clubs fans don't like, we are now dwelling near the bottom of the league, maybe even last.
If there's a camp this year, Tomlin needs to come in with an iron fist, and i mean an iron fist.

AGREED! Something needs to be done quickly here. I do think that once these guys get all back together and start totally concentrating on football we will see a slight difference this year, but in the overall picture the team as a whole needs to be told these type of actions will not be tolerated and to straighten up or suffer the consequences. I hate to see great players let go for petty off the field stuff, but they are like a cancer, and if you let them hang around they start infecteing others on the team. :tt02:

JCPsteelers
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Harrison can't state his 1st amendment right in how he feels? I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but its not like he got arrested or something.

steelerchad
07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Harrison can't state his 1st amendment right in how he feels? I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but its not like he got arrested or something.

Sure he can say what he wants legally. But bashing team mates in a magazine article isn't the right thing to do and it's not good for the team which is what's most important. Put it in terms of your employment. Is it right to pop off about someone else's performance. As a boss, you can correct an employees mistakes and say whatever you want. I think the best bosses do it in a way to enhance performance, which this doesn't. Furthermore, James is not the boss. That's Tomlin's job. So James, should have just kept his big mouth shut. See I just exercised my first amendment right to tell James Harrison to shut up. Although, I probably wouldn't advise me to do it to his face.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Harrison can't state his 1st amendment right in how he feels?

Sure he can. But he comes off as an uneducated neanderthal.

thumper
07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Sure he can. But he comes off as an uneducated neanderthal.

Is he? If he is, then give me 10 more of them.

OX1947
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Class has nothing to do with it. If you know James Harrison, you know he is very strict with his money. Goodell took 100K of it for tackling people. That is why he is pissed.

We all know what he said is what almost all people think. I know I do. I blame Big Ben and Mendenhall for their timely mistakes for that loss. The Packers went down the field with ease in each of the 3 turnovers they gave up, one being a TD score. Momentum in that game was killed by those two with missed plays, fumbles, etc. And for the knuckle head idiots who say he only had one tackle in the game, go back and watch the game, he had 2 guys on him the whole game so save me the "Chad Clifton shut him down" bull crap.

The only thing worse then sucking is letting something you have in your grasp go. The Steelers let another Lombardi go 5 months ago. I am pissed and Im just a fan.

DanRooney
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Class has nothing to do with it. If you know James Harrison, you know he is very strict with his money. Goodell took 100K of it for tackling people. That is why he is pissed.

We all know what he said is what almost all people think. I know I do. I blame Big Ben and Mendenhall for their timely mistakes for that loss. The Packers went down the field with ease in each of the 3 turnovers they gave up, one being a TD score. Momentum in that game was killed by those two with missed plays, fumbles, etc. And for the knuckle head idiots who say he only had one tackle in the game, go back and watch the game, he had 2 guys on him the whole game so save me the "Chad Clifton shut him down" bull crap.

The only thing worse then sucking is letting something you have in your grasp go. The Steelers let another Lombardi go 5 months ago. I am pissed and Im just a fan.

Harrison downing his own teammates is a such a selfish act. The guy is baller but a moron. If Ben drives down the field and scores on that last drive, he'd be considered on of the best QBs of all time. Now Harrison is pretending he just rode the defense to two championships. Last I remember our defense in the 90s was pretty similar yet we had nothing to show for that.

It was an unacceptable performance by the defense that night. We were lucky we were in the game at the end. Green Bay dropped quite a few passes. Maybe he should start downing his secondary for not being able to cover anyone.

steelerchad
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Harrison downing his own teammates is a such a selfish act. The guy is baller but a moron. If Ben drives down the field and scores on that last drive, he'd be considered on of the best QBs of all time. Now Harrison is pretending he just rode the defense to two championships. Last I remember our defense in the 90s was pretty similar yet we had nothing to show for that.

It was an unacceptable performance by the defense that night. We were lucky we were in the game at the end. Green Bay dropped quite a few passes. Maybe he should start downing his secondary for not being able to cover anyone.

That's right. But he won't down the defense because they lost as a team. Why did the D get torched? Why didn't they force even 1 turnover? So, Harrison gets a pass because he was double teamed all game. Give me a break. If he was double teamed the entire game, someone else on that D better have Rodgers on his ass before he threw for 300/3tds/no picks. How bout if the D just stops a 3rd and 10 one time with 6 minutes left down 3. Then we get the ball with plenty of time and decent field position with a field goal to tie and a TD to win. I like our chances then. With 2 minutes, no timeouts, bad field position, and needing a TD it would have been a miracle and we already pulled that off in 08. They lost as a team and that's it. I think we win that game 6 or 7 out of 10 times. It just didn't happen for us.

steeltheone
07-13-2011, 06:31 PM

We were not anywhere near the SB without Ben..

55BaileyFan
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Bad things happen to good people.

Ben got caught up in the moment of being a superstar and believed all the hype. Rashard is a douche...always thought he sounded like one, and Hines made a mistake.

I got an idea lets hang all of them on a cross and crucify them. People do stupid stuff it happens, it sucks but why dwell on it all?

Deserei90
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Bad things happen to good people.

Ben got caught up in the moment of being a superstar and believed all the hype. Rashard is a douche...always thought he sounded like one, and Hines made a mistake.

I got an idea lets hang all of them on a cross and crucify them. People do stupid stuff it happens, it sucks but why dwell on it all?Agreed. I believe it's just bad timing.
I think people look at it as it's not even a full week yet and Two Steelers had already made news.

stb_steeler
07-13-2011, 07:34 PM
END THIS DAMN LOCKOUT NOW

SteelerFanInATL
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Thats not Tomlins job, thats the Rooneys job. If I were Dan Rooney, I would bring all those who have been in the news recently into my office and lay down the law and let them know they are not acting like STEELERS. That would get their attention and the rest of the team. We all know what will happen if this type of NON-STEELER CONDUCT continues to happen. An example will be made of someone.

thumper
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Actually, I got to be honest here. We gripe over players being "not classy" but
the fans are below average when it comes to "class" to begin with. I'm not
bitching about it - but it's simply true. After you move out of Western PA and
go to away games, out of the rust belt, you realize most fans are more polite
and "classy" than Steeler fans. So, for us to complain that our players are
"not classy" is kind of being a hypocrite. True, Philly fans are worse than us,
for sure. Cleveland and Buffalo are as bad, but they never have anything to be
****y about so it limits their opportunities to be jerks, since their teams are
usually getting their faces kicked in.

But trust me: When you leave WPA and go to games in nice areas, you quickly
notice the Steelers fans who live in FL/CA/etc. and those fans who traveled
from Pgh to attend the game. Those fans who flew in from Pgh are far more
rude, as they haven't realized being so rude and obnoxious is not the best
way to go through life. But until you move, you don't even realize it.

jjpro11
07-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Actually, I got to be honest here. We gripe over players being "not classy" but
the fans are below average when it comes to "class" to begin with. I'm not
bitching about it - but it's simply true. After you move out of Western PA and
go to away games, out of the rust belt, you realize most fans are more polite
and "classy" than Steeler fans. So, for us to complain that our players are
"not classy" is kind of being a hypocrite. True, Philly fans are worse than us,
for sure. Cleveland and Buffalo are as bad, but they never have anything to be
****y about so it limits their opportunities to be jerks, since their teams are
usually getting their faces kicked in.

But trust me: When you leave WPA and go to games in nice areas, you quickly
notice the Steelers fans who live in FL/CA/etc. and those fans who traveled
from Pgh to attend the game. Those fans who flew in from Pgh are far more
rude, as they haven't realized being so rude and obnoxious is not the best
way to go through life. But until you move, you don't even realize it.

the only difference is we don't get paid millions of dollars to represent the Steelers franchise. conduct detrimental to the team or employer applies to any line of work.

stb_steeler
07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Thats not Tomlins job, thats the Rooneys job. If I were Dan Rooney, I would bring all those who have been in the news recently into my office and lay down the law and let them know they are not acting like STEELERS. That would get their attention and the rest of the team. We all know what will happen if this type of NON-STEELER CONDUCT continues to happen. An example will be made of someone.

So far nothing happened, but thats what Rooney needs to do now!

Fire Arians
07-18-2011, 01:07 AM
goodell is a piece of shit. i back james 100%

caplovestroyp43
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I agree with TRH. Tomlin needs to layeth the smacketh down on all of them and let them know what's what!

thumper
07-18-2011, 12:26 PM
the only difference is we don't get paid millions of dollars to represent the Steelers franchise. conduct detrimental to the team or employer applies to any line of work.

Part of the very definition of class has to do with behaving well even
if you don't necessarily _need_ to. I get what you are saying, but I
really don't think most Steeler fans can complain about the "class"
factor without being a hypocrite.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Other than his negative remarks about his teammates (even if there is some merit to what he said, you should NEVER call out your teammates to the public), I have no problem with anything Harrison said. Also, that photoshoot with him posing with the two guns-- that was GAY (no-- I do not mean it as a slur against homosexuals, they would know better). These players who came from "da hood" gotta realize, they no longer live in "da hood" they are milluionaires, so they need to leave that angst-filled, irresponsible, narcissitic behavior behind.

No, he will never be remembered as being a great diplomat or chooser of words, but me personally-- I find his candor and honesty very refreshing.

Goodell IS a money-hungry bureaucrat and the birds are finally coming home to roost with some of his more outlandish rules changes he made midseason. And no matter who you think is to blame for the labor dispute, his primary job is to keep the league moving forward and to administrate the league in a fashion that this type of work-stoppage does not occur.

Clearly, Goodell has failed in that regard. Clearly, by altering the rules to the point that a man who once won DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR honors for his playing style, is now being treated like a criminal for that same playing style, shows a level of incompetence and two-facedness that very few people can brag about....

Goodell is BAD for football, period.