PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents You Meet In Hell - The Veteran Steelers Defender

Atlanta Dan
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
With Ike Taylor's imminent free agency causing some to regard him as combining the best attributes of Rod Woodson/Deion Sanders & Darrelle Revis and someone who must be signed at all costs, an interesting article on what categories of free agents will burn whatever team signs them

Free Agents You Meet in Hell
A look at the NFL players whom front offices should avoid

When evaluating NFL free agents, there are certain archetypes that stand out as particularly bad bets. Avoid the following types at all costs.

Without further ado, we present the free agents you meet in hell. ...

The Veteran Steelers Defender

Here's a good rule of thumb in the NFL: You're not smarter than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Nobody does a better job of drafting and developing talent than the Steelers, and outside of the Eagles, nobody is more confident about letting their veterans leave while creating opportunities for new talent to come through. That goes double on defense, where the mind of Dick LeBeau is arguably the unit's most valuable asset.

We went through the past 10 seasons and identified every time a regular starter on the Pittsburgh defense left the team in free agency. Of the 14 players, eight lasted only one season or less with their new teams. Just two of the defenders — linebacker Joey Porter and safety Chris Hope — made the Pro Bowl after leaving the Steel City....

The list gets a little better if you go back through the mid-'90s, when players like Rod Woodson and Kevin Greene continued to play at a high level after they moved out of Pittsburgh, but it's clear that investing in defenders whom the Steelers no longer want has been a good way for teams to waste their money.

2011 free agent example: Ike Taylor:rolleyes:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6782227/free-agents-meet-hell

BIGNASTY91
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Ike is a great fit on our defense, i agree that his play might drop off in a new system. I hope like he** we are able to keep him in the Steeler Nation! :tt02:

steelerchad
07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
I'll buy that article. I've said the same thing in the past. When the Steelers are willing to part with you, you're either done or almost done.

tanda10506
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I think Ike is pretty good and I would like to see him on the team this year, but only because we can't get any better. He plays well but he's not a shut down corner by any means. I would like to see us get a really good corner and keep Ike on the other side of the field. The odds of that happening seem low, but it would be nice. Seemed like every time we got burnt big last year it was McFadden, I'd like to see him go.

austinfrench76
07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Great article! So accurate and true.

Love the line "you aren't smarter than the Steelers"!!! Classic.

steeltheone
07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I'll buy that article. I've said the same thing in the past. When the Steelers are willing to part with you, you're either done or almost done.

We normally don't part with anybody without a replacement....For Ike we have none?

thumper
07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I think it will become obvious how much the staff feels we can't live without
Ike. If they go for a fairly large deal, they must think they are in trouble without
him. If they don't go big time? They feel confident they will be fine without him.
Something to consider - Pgh gets pressure on the QB and stuffs the run. That
makes CBs look good. (Although it doesn't work for every CB - B-Mac and Gay still
looked pretty bad.)

DanRooney
07-20-2011, 05:38 PM
B]Here's a good rule of thumb in the NFL: You're not smarter than the Pittsburgh Steelers.[/B] Nobody does a better job of drafting and developing talent than the Steelers, and outside of the Eagles, nobody is more confident about letting their veterans leave while creating opportunities for new talent to come through. That goes double on defense, where the mind of Dick LeBeau is arguably the unit's most valuable asset.

I can tell you for sure that about 80 percent of Steeler fans are smarter than Bruce Arians.

Atlanta Dan
07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
We normally don't part with anybody without a replacement....For Ike we have none?

True that - closest comparison I have is when the Steelers and Woodson parted company in 1997 - there was no internal replacement and the Steelers signed Donnell Woolfold, perhaps the worst Steelers FA signing ever - by the end of 1997 he was benched and Carnell Lake was rotated from safety back to CB

steeltheone
07-21-2011, 07:49 PM
True that - closest comparison I have is when the Steelers and Woodson parted company in 1997 - there was no internal replacement and the Steelers signed Donnell Woolfold, perhaps the worst Steelers FA signing ever - by the end of 1997 he was benched and Carnell Lake was rotated from safety back to CB

Great Memory...Wolford was a cap menice years after..

steeltheone
07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
I think it will become obvious how much the staff feels we can't live without
Ike. If they go for a fairly large deal, they must think they are in trouble without
him. If they don't go big time? They feel confident they will be fine without him.
Something to consider - Pgh gets pressure on the QB and stuffs the run. That
makes CBs look good. (Although it doesn't work for every CB - B-Mac and Gay still
looked pretty bad.)

Not much pressure was coming without blitzing later in the season...Our middle pass rush is a big issue..

thumper
07-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Great Memory...Wolford was a cap menice years after..

He was a huge partier. I guess you have to consider Duce
Staley right up there with being nearly as bad of a signing. I
don't know who's decision the Duce signing was. To me, he
was clearly worn out before he came here. That was a really
stupid signing.

Atlanta Dan
07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
The author of the linked article that started this thread doubles down with today's linked article on Ike being a risky FA signing

The NFL's Great Scrambling Act
The lockout's over! Now the glorious NFL's free-agency period begins. Our breakdown of every relevant player and where they could go

The lockout may have cost the broader population of the NFLPA some money going forward, but after four months of general managers' frothing at the mouth to sign players, the free-agent pool is going to get a one-time exemption. These guys are going to get paid....

FIVE OVERRATED PLAYERS...

Ike Taylor, CB
Taylor is 31 and has never been effective enough to make the Pro Bowl as a member of the Steelers. He is exactly the sort of veteran Steelers player to avoid in free agency.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6800194/the-nfl-great-scrambling-act

If FAs are going to get overpaid that looks like a scenario for Ike to leave.

But the FA pool for CB is pretty deep - if Taylor walks maybe the Steelers can sign up a comparable FA replacement:noidea:

lipps83
07-25-2011, 04:16 PM
He was a huge partier. I guess you have to consider Duce
Staley right up there with being nearly as bad of a signing. I
don't know who's decision the Duce signing was. To me, he
was clearly worn out before he came here. That was a really
stupid signing.

I thought Duce was a good signing if he could have avoided injury. He had a history of injury problems and never completed a full season. For that alone I wouldn't have signed him in the first place.

I do think he was leading the league in rushing when he got hurt, though.

The biggest problem with Staley was that he stuck around for so long after he should have been gone.