PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, Harrison not healthy

thumper
07-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I just read that Harrison is NOT 100% from his dinged back.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43847482/ns/sports-player_news/

His agent even admitted JH will not play 100% this year and
probably never again. Said more like 80%.

I voiced this concern way back when we first heard he was
having back surgery. Backs after surgeries are very tricky
things. Sometimes players have 1-2 good years afterwards,
but it is more common that after surgery, it is the beginning of
the end, or just _the_ end.

I hope he can grind out another year or two. He makes a world
of difference to our D. I hope Worilds ends up being the real deal,
or even Sylvester. Both showed signs of being beasts but there
is no bigger beast at OLB in the entire NFL than JH. No one.

fart
07-23-2011, 03:31 PM
He's still almost as good as LT, though, right?

There's a price to pay for playing your best football at 29, sometimes your body can't keep up. That said, Harrison at 80% is better than almost every OLB in the game.

steeltheone
07-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I metioned this weeks ago...33 and back surgery do not mix!

LVSteelersfan
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
JH is on the way out. What makes anyone think he is going to be anywhere near as good a year older and 2 back surgeries later? I hope they at least platoon the position and let Worilds show his stuff this year. I think Woodley and Timmons can more than make up for the loss of Harrison. Worilds and Sylvester need to get their reps to learn the defense.

steeltheone
07-24-2011, 02:27 PM
JH is on the way out. What makes anyone think he is going to be anywhere near as good a year older and 2 back surgeries later? I hope they at least platoon the position and let Worilds show his stuff this year. I think Woodley and Timmons can more than make up for the loss of Harrison. Worilds and Sylvester need to get their reps to learn the defense.

Thats fine moving timmons out side,but what do we do inside? Farrior is on his last year and can't cover anybody while sylvester has not played,.,

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
07-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Thats fine moving timmons out side,but what do we do inside? Farrior is on his last year and can't cover anybody while sylvester has not played,.,

This whole thread reminds me of last year with the santonio holmes problem we all did not think mike wallace could take his spot and do great but he did and i think jason worilds would do great he would not be like james harrison but i think he could be close to it and tell you the truth i think we could maybe just maybe get a 2nd round out of him if they can bye bye.

thumper
07-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Woodley and Timmons are already on the field with JH, how can they
"make up" for JH, since they already are on the field at the same time?
That makes no sense. I posted - as soon as JH had to have back surgery -
that back surgery is usually the beginning of the end for pro athletes, and
especially for football players. And, no, this does NOT diminish how awesome
JH has been the last 3 years. That logic is for idiots.

They have already crapped their pants on LB draft picks of Thaddeus Gibson,
Mike Humpal, Bruce Davis and Rian Wallace - they sure as shit better not have
screwed up the Worilds pick too. We cannot survive another Huey Richardson
type of moron drafting.

Fire Arians
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
FO probably knew what they were doing when they drafted OLBs, just sayin.

DanRooney
07-26-2011, 01:09 AM
This whole thread reminds me of last year with the santonio holmes problem we all did not think mike wallace could take his spot and do great but he did and i think jason worilds would do great he would not be like james harrison but i think he could be close to it and tell you the truth i think we could maybe just maybe get a 2nd round out of him if they can bye bye.

Mike Wallace proved he was starting material when he had almost 800 yards as a 3rd string receiver. Jason Worilds hasn't shown anything because he hasn't seen the field outside the Dolphins game and on special teams. You can't replace arguably the best OLB in the league with a 2nd year guy who hasn't even played many snaps.

Farrior is the one showing decline and has the backup who at least looks like an animal on special teams. This discussion should be about cutting Farrior.

steeltheone
07-26-2011, 02:07 AM
I believe this thread is about Harrison at this point in his career having max trade value for a guy with a few years left.

Farrior has no trade value and is one of many positions a trade of Harrison could address. That being said, i think we all know Harrison is going nowhere.

tony hipchest
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
His agent even admitted JH will not play 100% this year and
probably never again. Said more like 80%.

this is great news!

he played last season at 65-70% which was good enough for 3rd in the defensive mvp voting and a superbowl run.

this year we get him back at 10 percentage points better. :tt:

steeltheone
07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I hope you are right...The odds are not in his favor..

tony hipchest
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
...The odds are not in his favor..

that would only concern me if his entire life story wasnt about beating the odds.

kirklandrules
07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
that would only concern me if his entire life story wasnt about beating the odds.

You are correct Hip. Harrison will play 100% because money, fame, and all the love from the Commish won't change the fact that he was born a pissed off animal. He may be 80% in the weight room and on the practice field, but he'll be 100% when the adrenaline and pain killers kick in on game day.

And at this point, Worilds and Sylvester can't carry Harrison and Farrior's jocks. What the hell? I'm rooting for those guys to develop and do well for the Steelers, but they aren't going to replace 2 of the best LBs in the game this year. IMO Farrior had a better year last year than the prior year. I love the attitude we have that we think our all-stars can be pissed-away because the Steelers produce the best LBs in the game. So, reality check please, Harrison and Farrior are still the vet studs on this defense and the Steelers will rank near (if not AT) the top of the defensive stats this year.