PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Swinging The Ax To Sign Asomugha?

Atlanta Dan
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Ravens are clearing cap space for something:noidea:

We expected Willis McGahee to get released, but the Ravens pulled a few surprises Monday.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports the team has informed tight end Todd Heap and defensive tackle Kelly Gregg of their impending release.

They cut Derrick Mason too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/todd-heap-kelly-gregg-get-the-boot-from-ravens/

PFT then speculates:

These moves probably won’t quiet those Nnamdi Asomugha rumors in Baltimore.

Buddha Bus
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
They should just have Ray Lewis make the cuts personally.

oShTJ90fC34

Steeler4life1972
07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
We have the ravens number and I will think you will see a fired up steelers when we play them week one!!! flacco beware...i think this may be lebeau's last year and hes gonna unleash the beast!!!!

Steeler4life1972
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
lebeau is gonna go out with a bang....im tellin ya lebeau is gonna make his mark this year with a bunch of new wrinkles to confuse offenses and yes that includes the patriots when we kick your asses in the playoffs and Im gonna go ahead and call it...packers steelers superbowl!!!!

TAmes
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6801735/baltimore-ravens-plan-cut-derrick-mason-willis-mcgahee-todd-heap-too

There's a chance they'll try to sign at least one of them back, but the Ravens will lose a lot of their veteran talent next year if they don't.

DanRooney
07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6801735/baltimore-ravens-plan-cut-derrick-mason-willis-mcgahee-todd-heap-too

There's a chance they'll try to sign at least one of them back, but the Ravens will lose a lot of their veteran talent next year if they don't.

Most Steelers fans in here probably think it's crazy cutting a savvy veteran Mason judging by the appall I got when I said we should demote cut Hines or turn him into a situational receiver (3rd or 4th string); but it's actually a really great move by them. The Ravens learned that youth an speed is what beat them last year. Their vets at CB couldn't keep up with Wallace, Sanders and Brown and their slow possession receivers had trouble getting open with our pass rush. They added a fast DB and WR in the draft last year to help contain our guys and are dumping (or restructuring) overpaid veterans.

Kingmagyar
07-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I love when those hardcore veterans that live and die with their teams like Mason and Heap get booted out the back door. What a slap in the face. I love it! Throw in McGahee, and Kelly Gregg as well.

I think they will lose Heap for sure as too many teams like a Cleveland could use him big time.

As far as the fast WR and CB they added in the draft. With no OTA's, and no minicamps those two guys won't be ready to make any impact in the NFL this year. It's hard enough for WRs and CBs to make an impact with the off season workouts.

steeltheone
07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I love when those hardcore veterans that live and die with their teams like Mason and Heap get booted out the back door. What a slap in the face. I love it! Throw in McGahee, and Kelly Gregg as well.

I think they will lose Heap for sure as too many teams like a Cleveland could use him big time.

As far as the fast WR and CB they added in the draft. With no OTA's, and no minicamps those two guys won't be ready to make any impact in the NFL this year. It's hard enough for WRs and CBs to make an impact with the off season workouts.

Its a business...We will be losing 4 to 5 defenders next year due to age and money...

thumper
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Heap has killed us. Not that he has created that many wins vs. us,
but a few. Problem is, he just can't stay healthy. I think it's a wise move
to cut him. Only teams with lots of space should consider him and HOPE
that he can stay healthy. History tells us that a player who starts missing
lots of time, will CONTINUE to lose more as they get older. Chances are
Heap will not be able to stay healthy. McGahee is no big loss at all. Clearly
Rice is the man, and all they need are some decent backs to take a few
touches. There are loads of backs out there who can fill that role. Mason
has killed us in the past, mostly with TN, but he is old. And he is not the
leader/difference maker that Ward is. I don't recall Mason destroying ppl
with monster blocks or providing the inspiration to over come. Mason
has been a quality player, but doesn't offer all that Ward does.

I don't view these cuts as good news, really. They are just being wise
with these moves.

MaidenIndiana
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Where's Bobby at???? I figured he would be posting that making these moves assures the the Ratbirds would be kicking our heads in this year

3rdandlong
07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm just not that afraid of the Ravens, ultimately. Sure, they play us well, and they got a hell of a quarterback. Ultimately, though, Flacco is flappable, and that usually ends up being the reason we beat them.