PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap

pancake
07-26-2011, 03:10 AM
The Steelers are over the cap by 10 million. What do they do to get under? Not only do they need to get under, but sign rookies and veterens woodley and Taylor. :noidea:

First off El is gone, that should cut 2 million.

A couple of guys might have to redo their contracts. A. Smith might be one and Farrior might be another.

pancake
07-26-2011, 03:11 AM
The Hotel is suppose to make big money this year, do we cut him?

DanRooney
07-26-2011, 03:34 AM
If we cut Flozell then we are forced to sign Colon, which will probably eat up the same amount of cap space. I doubt we let go of both go.

My guess is Adams takes a pay cut from $5 million to $3.5 and plays out his final year with Gilbert taking over next season.

Rick5895
07-26-2011, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't expect Taylor to resign, I know we are thin at CB but it might be best to let Ike walk and take a chance with the kids we have drafted. Far more important to extend Timmons and get Woodley inked to a long term deal.

pete74
07-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Taylor is gone. with a 120mill cap we just cant afford him. i dont care how many contracts we restructure we cant afford Taylor and if we do squeeze him in there then we will loose either Woodley or Timmons next season

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
If you release Flozell (which as noted above requires signing Colon) and Randel-El, have a sit down with Aaron Smith on needing to take a haircut on the last year of his contract, and try to work out something with Woodley to avoid paying the franchise tag that is a start. Given his lack of playing time over the last 2 seasons and the reasonable chance he breaks down again, the Steelers may just need to release Smith. -- sad to say the steelers have learned life goes on without him

I refuse to believe there have not been back channel discussions with agents during the lockout to discuss potential deals - also consider the possibility Roethlisberger restructures his deal

Kingmagyar
07-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Steelers could probably make room for Taylor this year because any new deal would be structured with the signing bonus spread over the length of the contract and then he would earn the league minimum in actual salary. He may take home like 12 million or more in actual dollars this year but his cap hit would be pro-rated.

As far as next year Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Flozell Adams, and even maybe James Harrison could be all off the books. Other guys like Randal El, Trai Essex, Chris Hoke, Mewelde Moore, Matt Spaeth, Will Allen, Keyaron Fox, Ryan Clark, Willie Colon, Nick Eason, Larry Foote, William Gay, Bryant McFadden could also be gone. That's like 24 mil right there. Include the above names first mentioned and it's like 42 million.

We have to survive this year and then our team will transition to younger players and who knows someday the Steelers may find themselves 20 million under the cap and needing to spend that much for a Big time free agent to maintain their cap obligation to the NFLPA.

tony hipchest
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
finally... some real football talk. I ended my boycott of all things NFL about a week ago, and the 1st bit of reading i started doing was our cap situation.

James walker had a nice piece that mentions what most have already said. get rid of flozell, sweed, and el and restructure smith/sign woodley long term.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29541/steelers-guide-to-cap-relief

ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton recently wrote an insightful piece updating the projected salary-cap figures for NFL teams. One note that stood out in the AFC North is that the reigning division champion Pittsburgh Steelers are projected to be more than $10.51 million over the cap.

That means Pittsburgh has plenty of work to do this summer. But fear not, Steeler Nation. The AFC North blog has provided Pittsburgh an easy-to-follow guide for cap relief.

I really wanna keep flozell and el on the cheap for leadership though

pancake
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM
finally... some real football talk. I ended my boycott of all things NFL about a week ago, and the 1st bit of reading i started doing was our cap situation.

James walker had a nice piece that mentions what most have already said. get rid of flozell, sweed, and el and restructure smith/sign woodley long term.

Excellent article, thanks Tony.

I would like to see them cut El, and restructure Flo and Smith. Then sign Woodley to long term and sign a CB. Maybe I should also wish to win the lotto... :toofunny:

steeltheone
07-26-2011, 03:36 PM

We have one of the oldest teams in the league...Leadership should not be needed!

steeltheone
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Steelers could probably make room for Taylor this year because any new deal would be structured with the signing bonus spread over the length of the contract and then he would earn the league minimum in actual salary. He may take home like 12 million or more in actual dollars this year but his cap hit would be pro-rated.

As far as next year Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Flozell Adams, and even maybe James Harrison could be all off the books. Other guys like Randal El, Trai Essex, Chris Hoke, Mewelde Moore, Matt Spaeth, Will Allen, Keyaron Fox, Ryan Clark, Willie Colon, Nick Eason, Larry Foote, William Gay, Bryant McFadden could also be gone. That's like 24 mil right there. Include the above names first mentioned and it's like 42 million.

We have to survive this year and then our team will transition to younger players and who knows someday the Steelers may find themselves 20 million under the cap and needing to spend that much for a Big time free agent to maintain their cap obligation to the NFLPA.

Add to that Keisel,Ward and Hampton

pancake
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Well now we have signed Ike, so I keep looking for other news of cuts or restucture.

kirklandrules
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Dam those Steelers for constantly going to the SB and paying all that incentive pay that pushes them close to the cap. If they would just suck like the other teams in our league we wouldn't have such problems!

All joking aside, this is why Colbert is the best in the business. The past handful of years the Steelers have been very close to the cap, yet they keep the players they need to keep, they keep winning, and you never see them having to "rebuild".

pancake
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
When do the Steelers have to be under the cap? There must be a deadline...

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Well now we have signed Ike, so I keep looking for other news of cuts or restucture.

A. Smith, Flozell Adams and Randel-El are targets of opportunity

Doing a deal with Woodley to rework the $10 million franchise tag presumably is on the to do list as well

pancake
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
A. Smith, Flozell Adams and Randel-El are targets of opportunity

Doing a deal with Woodley to rework the $10 million franchise tag presumably is on the to do list as well

I agree with you. Do know when is our deadline to get this all done? is it Friday?

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I agree with you. Do know when is our deadline to get this all done? is it Friday?

August 4
All Clubs must be within the Salary Cap at 4:01 p.m., New York time

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820f8c15/article/2011-national-football-league-calendar

CrunkJeezy
07-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Wont be any issue for us getting under the cap got alot of excess meat on the team. A Smith, Hotel, Foote, Farrior, Hoke, Keisel, El, Arnaz Battle, Sweed. Plus we all know the commited vets will restructure to get Woodley, Timmons, and Polamalu signed long term . Colbert always figures it out.

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Wont be any issue for us getting under the cap got alot of excess meat on the team. A Smith, Hotel, Foote, Farrior, Hoke, Keisel, El, Arnaz Battle, Sweed. Plus we all know the commited vets will restructure to get Woodley, Timmons, and Polamalu signed long term . Colbert always figures it out.

Keisel is going anywhere. I'm about 80 percent sure Aaron Smith will restructure for his final year. They'll want to keep him around to mentor Heyward.

Re-signing Colon for 3-4 years or keeping Flozell for 1 more year is 50/50 at this point. I think the latter makes more sense (drafting Gilbert, Flozell's solid play, and Colon's achilles injury) but who knows what the FO is thinking.

Foote probably has a 30 percent chance of staying. El and Battle are as good as gone.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Max Starks to be released. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Max Starks to be released. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

Actually, dumping Starks makes me think Adams is all the more important as he was an all-pro LT. I highly doubt they start Gilbert at LT as a rookie, especially at LT and without OTAs. He's a rookie who has yet to look at the playbook ... not someone you want protecting your franchise QB's blindside. So if they think Adams can be average or slightly above average at his natural position, $5M is below average pay for a starting LT ... then you have value for your money at the position. I really think we saw an upgrade from Colon to Adams at RT last year. Makes me think that Adams is important and maybe Colon is less so.

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Totally agree. Shocked we haven't seen articles talking about how important a long term Woodley deal becomes to the Steelers with cap issues. I don't remember the Steelers allowing too many guys to stay a Franchise Player during a season. They usually slap the Franchise tag on them at the beginning of free agency, then work out the long term deal before the season begins. At least they did that with Starks a few years back. Extending Polamalu's contract would actually save them money this year. The costly contract would be Timmons ... he's working off his cheaper rookie contract and his next deal will most likely cost more.

tony hipchest
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
just an FYI...

yesterday pat kirwan reported that official team figures had the steelers $14.2 million over the cap.

they will basically have no choice but to go to "the bank of ben".

pancake
07-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

pancake
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
FO always has a plan, and we will see what their OL plan is in the next few days.

pancake
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Starks 7 Mill
Flo 5 mill
El 2 mill

That sould have put us pretty close, but I'm not sure if that counts rookies.

Farrior_roirraW
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Starks 7 Mill
Flo 5 mill
El 2 mill

That sould have put us pretty close, but I'm not sure if that counts rookies.

Yeah, but was the 14 mil over including the Ike signing (and now Colon)? Because before those two signings/cuts we were 10 over... I'm a little lost when it comes to the cap :noidea: This is the exact reason I can't see Plax coming back to the 'Burgh.

pancake
07-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but was the 14 mil over including the Ike signing (and now Colon)? Because before those two signings/cuts we were 10 over... I'm a little lost when it comes to the cap :noidea: This is the exact reason I can't see Plax coming back to the 'Burgh.

I too doubt the Plax signing, but who knows. Im sure both Willie and Ike's cap # this year is not very high.

We will have plenty of room for plax if Woodley restuctures his deal.

Rick5895
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I too doubt the Plax signing, but who knows. Im sure both Willie and Ike's cap # this year is not very high.

We have a very good group of young wr with Wallace, brown and sanders. With hines still being here where exactly would Burress fit in, especially at the money he may desire. I am hopeful the Steelers say NO to Plax.

Farrior_roirraW
07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

I forgot about this. That's a good possibility, I suppose.

pancake
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
We have a very good group of young wr with Wallace, brown and sanders. With hines still being here where exactly would Burress fit in, especially at the money he may desire. I am hopeful the Steelers say NO to Plax.

I'm not big on bringing in Plax, but I don't think he will cost big money.

Steelervinny
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
We absolutely don't need Plax. We are stacked at Wide Receiver. I like Brown more than Sanders, and I love them both. We owe it to Ward to let him finish his career in the 'Burgh. Who even knows what Sweed could have been if he didn't drop two sure TD's that cost us victories in both games. We need to keep Diesel one more year and then let Ziggy run wild after that. We also owe it to Farrior to stay another year. Glad Flozell's gone (Too old), sad to see El gone (again) but it had to be done. And I loved Starks ever since he was ranked 94 speed in Madden about 4 years ago. Every interception he would catch up and clobber the guy. Awesome. But he was more size than skill.

3rdandlong
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I just don't see how we can pick up Plaxico. While it would be nice to give Ben a big target, especially in the red zone, I don't see him taking the money that we would probably have to pay him

tanda10506
07-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I just don't see how we can pick up Plaxico. While it would be nice to give Ben a big target, especially in the red zone, I don't see him taking the money that we would probably have to pay him

That's what I don't understand, how do we not have the money? I will admit that I really just started learning about how the salary cap works, but the Steelers NEVER sign a big free agent and although some of our players make good money, the Steelers usually don't give out big $$$ contracts. So how can the Jets and other teams buy up all kinds of expensive big name free agents and if we want one in the last 3 or 4 years then we can't afford it? I know that is the situation, I just don't understand it.

Farrior_roirraW
07-29-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm really interested in how the meeting with the Giants went...

I don't see us matching the Giants offer and even if we do I don't see Plax choosing the Burgh.

Still want to know how the meeting went though...

Rick5895
07-30-2011, 11:17 AM
I know some will give me the gears for this, but I would like to give Sweed 1 more opportunity to be the big red zone threat we are looking for. Plax , IMO, burned a bridge with us, acted foolishly and went to jail, and he DOES deserve another chance. But so does Sweed and we have him under contract for less money than it would cost to bring in Burress. Let's see how well Sweed does in the preseason, see if he has "grown up" Maybe if he has put his personal demons aside he can be a very good player for us. While Limus is still under contract I would like to see him get the opportunity, obviously the coaches think there might be something there or he would have been discarded.

steeltheone
07-30-2011, 11:52 AM
We absolutely don't need Plax. We are stacked at Wide Receiver. I like Brown more than Sanders, and I love them both. We owe it to Ward to let him finish his career in the 'Burgh. Who even knows what Sweed could have been if he didn't drop two sure TD's that cost us victories in both games. We need to keep Diesel one more year and then let Ziggy run wild after that. We also owe it to Farrior to stay another year. Glad Flozell's gone (Too old), sad to see El gone (again) but it had to be done. And I loved Starks ever since he was ranked 94 speed in Madden about 4 years ago. Every interception he would catch up and clobber the guy. Awesome. But he was more size than skill.

We are not Stacked at wr...The potential is there...still very unproven

tanda10506
07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
We are not Stacked at wr...The potential is there...still very unproven

I agree. Hines will be done this year anyway, not like Brown and Sanders will never get a chance. We need him next year more then this year when Hines leaves, but in addition to Hines and Wallace this year gives the offense a #1 offense potential. I hope we get him

pancake
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
After our big cuts, we are still over the cap... I just read this on PG. We need Woodley to sign a long term deal.

Farrior_roirraW
07-31-2011, 06:10 PM
After our big cuts, we are still over the cap... I just read this on PG. We need Woodley to sign a long term deal.

By how much do you know? I'm too lazy to go look up an accurate article. :chuckle:

pancake
08-01-2011, 01:44 AM
By how much do you know? I'm too lazy to go look up an accurate article. :chuckle:

I was told less than 4 mil, but it didn't say in an article.

Steelervinny
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree that Brown has unproven talent. But he does have talent. He reminds me Santonio. I thought Sanders proved himself last year. And Mike Wallace and Hines Ward? 'Nuff said. Superbowl 2012, here we come... This time to Victory!!!

steeltheone
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree that Brown has unproven talent. But he does have talent. He reminds me Santonio. I thought Sanders proved himself last year. And Mike Wallace and Hines Ward? 'Nuff said. Superbowl 2012, here we come... This time to Victory!!!

28 rec for 328 yards and 2 tds is not proving yourself...Just about any average wideout could put up those numbers with a gunslinger QB....BUT, i do agree that sanders will be good and improve alot this year!

pete74
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
i just read that Ben and Harrison are redoing there contracts to help out

StainlessStill
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
28 rec for 328 yards and 2 tds is not proving yourself...Just about any average wideout could put up those numbers with a gunslinger QB....BUT, i do agree that sanders will be good and improve alot this year!

Proving yourself doesn't always lye in numbers. That's all fabricated. Proving yourself is being at the right place at the right time and making a play when your number is called. No give or take in that one, straight forward. The rooks last season may haven't had the opportunity to have huge numbers, but they sure as hell stepped up when they were asked to.

Ex.) Look at Antonio Brown's opening kickoff in Week 2 in Tennessee that resulted in a touchdown. Ended up being the X-factor in a tight game with our 3rd string QB starting. Another one with Antonio Brown's 3rd and 19 in a tie game in the comeback win against Baltimore in the divisional round. Streaking down the right hash of the field, catching a bomb by Ben, clinging it to his helmet and tip-toeing inside the 5 yard line. Mendenhall ended up pounding it in to seal a comeback victory for Pittsburgh to move onto the AFC Championship game. THAT, is proving yourself.

Wallabeast17
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Proving yourself doesn't always lye in numbers. That's all fabricated. Proving yourself is being at the right place at the right time and making a play when your number is called. No give or take in that one, straight forward. The rooks last season may haven't had the opportunity to have huge numbers, but they sure as hell stepped up when they were asked to.

Ex.) Look at Antonio Brown's opening kickoff in Week 2 in Tennessee that resulted in a touchdown. Ended up being the X-factor in a tight game with our 3rd string QB starting. Another one with Antonio Brown's 3rd and 19 in a tie game in the comeback win against Baltimore in the divisional round. Streaking down the right hash of the field, catching a bomb by Ben, clinging it to his helmet and tip-toeing inside the 5 yard line. Mendenhall ended up pounding it in to seal a comeback victory for Pittsburgh to move onto the AFC Championship game. THAT, is proving yourself.

AMEN!!!!:tt04:

ebsteelers
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM

dont forget browns 3rd down catch against the jets to send the steelers to the super bowl

ebsteelers
08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
also brown didnt complete come into his own as a wr until towards the end of the year.

brown, wallace and sanders are a great future wr

it always takes time for wr to get their head in the nfl... and i think all 3 of the steelers grew up quick

throw in wesley saunders (i hope) and heath miller and we got a great thing

DanRooney
08-01-2011, 08:56 PM
also brown didnt complete come into his own as a wr until towards the end of the year.

That's because Randle El was hindering both Brown's and Sanders' progression by seeing the field. It wasn't until his shitty game in New England where he finally got benched. Hines, like El, is going to take much earned playing time away from both of them next year as well.

StainlessStill
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
dont forget browns 3rd down catch against the jets to send the steelers to the super bowl

Great call. Add that to his resume as well!:tt04:

Steelervinny
08-02-2011, 02:21 PM

:tt03:That's exactly right!!!!. Big time players make Big time plays in Big games.

Steelervinny
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
And Ward's not stealing time from rookies. Ward's still got it man. Tearin shit up