PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor agreed to terms with Steelers for 4 years

OX1947
07-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Steelers agreed to terms with CB Ike Taylor on a four-year contract.

Taylor sticks with the team that drafted him back in 2003. Since then, he's become their top corner and been a starter for the last six seasons -- including both Super Bowl runs. Perhaps some hometown allegiance played into the quick signing as teams like the Eagles and Texans were expected to show interest.

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?rw=1

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
:thumbsup:

All along the Steelers privately expressed confidence that they would re-sign Ike Taylor and tonight they came through by agreeing to a four-year contract with their best cornerback over the past decade.

Money terms were not immediately available.

Taylor, who told one member of the organization early this week that he would be back, will return for his ninth season. He cannot officially sign his contract until 6 p.m. on Friday and cannot join his teammates in practice at training camp until Aug. 4, per a new rule under the collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11207/1163185-66.stm

So much for this rumor mongering from PFT earlier this evening

Yeah, Nnamdi Asomugha has become the crown jewel of the 2011 free agency class. Sure, Antonio Cromartie gets more buzz. But Ike Taylor quietly has become one of the names to watch in free agency.

If the Steelers wanted to keep their No. 1 corner, the Steelers would have signed him before he made it to free agency.

And if Taylor wanted to stay, he wouldn’t be publicly declaring his intention to go to the highest bidder.

Making the situation even more intriguing is the fact that Taylor quietly is held in high regard by some of the coaches who are familiar with his style of play over the last eight seasons. He consistently faces the top receiver on the opposing team, and he can handle press coverage effectively, allowing the Steelers to keep offenses guessing as to whether Taylor will run with the receiver, or whether he’ll release his man after applying a jam and occupy a short zone.

With the Ravens dumping salaries, some fans think they’re making room for Asomugha. Given that the Ravens have seen twice (and sometimes thrice) per year what Ike can do, maybe he’s the guy they’re truly after:rofl:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/ten-veterans-to-watch-now-that-football-is-back/related

ETL
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
That's good news! Losing Taylor would have been hard on this defense.

Steelersfan4life0655
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
thank you FO for making this deal happen!! glad he is going to keep being a steeler!:tt04:

tony hipchest
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
great news imo.

people like to joke and bitch about his hands of stone but often forget about his 99 passes defended.

i'll put those career numbers up against anyone with the same tenure.

i also wont forget that there arent too many active cornerbacks with 3 superbowl starts and 2 rings.

dan rooney and ike are tight. im almost sure the owner told the FO that the 1st call of business was to take care of him.

Fire Arians
07-27-2011, 12:54 AM
good news indeed

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
I think you guys are actually missing the bigger picture. Resigning Ike probably means William Gay won't be re-signed :tt03:

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 01:29 AM
I'll be the first to admit ... I thought for sure Ike was gone. I'm glad I was wrong.

stb_steeler
07-27-2011, 01:47 AM
Great....now we can put that subject to rest and move onto the next...:thumbsup:

Pentheon
07-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Im glad hes back...I always liked ike, a lot of people I know complained about him but I was always a fan of his...

BIGNASTY91
07-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Im glad hes back...I always liked ike, a lot of people I know complained about him but I was always a fan of his...

I've always been a fan of ike also! Not the best hands but can break things up. Glad he is back!! :tt03:

steelax04
07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow... was just talking with a guy yesterday and was seriously concerned Ike wasn't going to be back. Very happy to hear he's going to be in a Steelers uniform this year!

finesward
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
This is another good for business signing by the FO. Sure we might of gotten a comparable CB for a little cheaper but this move shows loyalty by the organization.

Unfortunately signing Ike means the near certain departure of James Harrison if not this year then most definitely next. We will have to take a cap dump next year like the ravens did this year. A lot of familiar faces and names will be gone next year...Ward, Harrison, A. Smith, possibly Kiesel, Farrior, etc This team has to know they have one more shot with this core group of guys, I hope they use that as a motivator this year not to have another 2009 season

ebsteelers
07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
good move, atleast we dont gotta sweat that out

RavensWin
07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
This is what I like to call a "Win-Win" scenario. Steelers and Ravens fans are happy & Joe Flacco is estatic about the Ike signing.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/rexsnider/2011/07/27/50-words-about-matusz-heap-mason-steelers-d-and-prayers/

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
This is what I like to call a "Win-Win" scenario. Steelers and Ravens fans are happy & Joe Flacco is estatic about the Ike signing.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/rexsnider/2011/07/27/50-words-about-matusz-heap-mason-steelers-d-and-prayers/

:sofunny:

Ravens fans can be so cute sometimes.

joeyssteelcurtain
07-27-2011, 09:22 AM

That's a great first post. Not

RavensWin
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
:sofunny:

Ravens fans can be so cute sometimes.

4 years too :sofunny: Thanks Mr. Rooney :applaudit:

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 09:37 AM

I agree. Now Boldin can repeat his stellar performance in the AFC divisional round over and over again. Remind me RavensWin, how many yards did he manage in that game?

stairway27
07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Has anyone heard any rumblings on whether the Steelers are looking at Carlos Rogers? I live in Redskin country, so they are my second favorite team. I've watched Rogers throughout his career, and I think he's pretty close to being a shutdown corner like Ike. He even comes equipped with stone hands. I think if the price is right, we should add him opposite Ike.

steelerchad
07-27-2011, 09:50 AM

That was a good attempt at humor, but what's really funny is Flacco's career stats playing against Ike and the Steelers. Now that's some funny shit. Wow, what QB wouldn't be happy about being able to continue things like a 2-6 record, with 8 picks and only 7 td's, and a whopping 67.3 avg. qb rating. He's had 2 games with QB ratings of 18 and 22 respectively? I thought there was a floor on qb rating? I knew the max rating was like 158.3, but had no idea you could actually go below a 40.

Oh, and he's been dumped on his ass 29 times as well and fumbled 9 times. Can that be possible? 9 fumbles by a quarterback in only 8 games against a single opponent. I think James Harrison labeled the wrong guy the fumble machine. There it is. Anytime I refer to Joe Flacco he will now be Joe "the fumble machine" Flacco for all of this season.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I agree. Now Boldin can repeat his stellar performance in the AFC divisional round over and over again. Remind me RavensWin, how many yards did he manage in that game?

That Made Him Shut up lol :tt02:

fart
07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
That was a good attempt at humor, but what's really funny is Flacco's career stats playing against Ike and the Steelers. Now that's some funny shit. Wow, what QB wouldn't be happy about being able to continue things like a 2-6 record, with 8 picks and only 7 td's, and a whopping 67.3 avg. qb rating. He's had 2 games with QB ratings of 18 and 22 respectively? I thought there was a floor on qb rating? I knew the max rating was like 158.3, but had no idea you could actually go below a 40.

Oh, and he's been dumped on his ass 29 times as well and fumbled 9 times. Can that be possible? 9 fumbles by a quarterback in only 8 games against a single opponent. I think James Harrison labeled the wrong guy the fumble machine. There it is. Anytime I refer to Joe Flacco he will now be Joe "the fumble machine" Flacco for all of this season.

I know it's your attempt at being condescending but you knew/know the lowest QB rating you can get is a 0, right?

GMU Steeler
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
This is good news. This was the one thing aside from Woodley this offseason. Always liked Ike. Agree not the best hands but solid cover guy and he wears my favorite number. Amused that it's seen as good news for the Ravens by their fans. Not like Flacco has exactly lit up Ike. Can't wait for the season to start.

steelerchad
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I know it's your attempt at being condescending but you knew/know the lowest QB rating you can get is a 0, right?

right.

steelerchad
07-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Since he didn't answer or can't bear to look it up and actually see it in print, Flacco's stat line for that fateful day in January of 2009 was as follows:

13-30 for 141 yds., 0 tds, 3 INT's, and a QB rating of 18.2.

RavensWin
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I just wanted to say, it was a great signing for all parties involved. (Directly and indirectly) :chuckle: Good luck in week 1. =)

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

You're either a troll or delusional. My guess is both. :coffee:

RavensWin
07-27-2011, 11:24 AM

You're either self-absorbed Steelers fan or mentally challenged.. My guess is both :coffee:

Farrior_roirraW
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM

I don't know. I think Ravens fans might be just dumb enough to actually think Ike sucks. :chuckle:

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
You're either self-absorbed Steelers fan or mentally challenged.. My guess is both :coffee:

Says the guy who comes to another team's board to talk trash.

And for accuracy, shouldn't your username be RavensWhine?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5714/harbaughcry.jpg

austinfrench76
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Hell yea!!!

Now restructure L-Wood and A Smith, release Randel El and Flozell (but try and resign both on the cheap) and try to retain Colon. Done.

Kingmagyar
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
SWAGGIN :hatsoff:

RavensWin
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Says the "sensitive" guy 'who's feelings are hurt by the truth", and feels he has to resort to childish pictures and personal attack to help prove his point:coffee:

Anyways. See you Week 1. OUT

ebsteelers
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Steelers 31, Ravens 24 AFC divisonal
Steelers 23, Ravens 14 AFC championship
Steelers 6 Super Bowl Wins, Ravens 1

shall we go on?

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Says the "sensitive" guy 'who's feelings are hurt by the truth", and feels he has to resort to childish pictures and personal attack to help prove his point:coffee:

1. You think you hurt my feelings? You really are delusional.
2. Truth? Dan Rooney and steelerchad gave you the truth, which you've conveniently ignored.
3. You think I resorted to personal attacks? If you act like a troll, you're going to be treated like a troll.
4. You say you're out. Good. Stay out. We've hijacked this thread enough.

And yes, we'll see you in Week 1. Swaggin!!!

thumper
07-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Over all good news, and it certainly tips their hand on how they
thought the D would do without Ike. Obviously, they value him a lot.
I still am hoping Butler and another young guy steps up though, but
who knows. And I hope B-Mac is healed. You will see a much better
player if his hip is healthy.

OX1947
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Steelers 27, Ravens 10 AFC divisonal (2001)
Steelers 31, Ravens 24 AFC divisonal
Steelers 23, Ravens 14 AFC championship
Steelers 6 Super Bowl Wins, Ravens 1

shall we go on?

Fix that for you.....

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM

You'll come in with the usual trash talk on how we all suck and how you hate Pittsburgh and how your team is ready for the Super Bowl and is going to run the table on us to get there with ease.

Then the game will come, Roethlisberger will send you home licking your wounds and we won't see you again until the next meeting, and then the next meeting after that, and then the next meeting after that. All ending with the same result.

Baltimore being our BITCH.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Yep - Ravens are on the schedule at least twice a year - if your team starts to hold up its end of the rivalry and actually wins a game with Roethlisberger playing maybe bobby jr. and you will actually have reason for hope

steelcity1974
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Didn't Ike pick Falco last season? That might be the only ball he can catch...perhaps joe cool throws too soft.

Buddha Bus
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I just wanted to say, it was a great signing for all parties involved. (Directly and indirectly) :chuckle: Good luck in week 1. =)

RavensWin? Since when? Do you mean those couple of hollow, eked-out wins when Big Ben didn't play? Don't you Ratbird fans have anything better to do than come onto our board thumping your chests and declaring how big and bad your team is when they clearly are inferior to the Pittsburgh Steelers in every way? Don't you have a past defeat to bitch and moan about somewhere else?

Honestly... some people's kids. They really should leash these idiots up in their Mom's basement out of reach of the computer. At least we didn't have to hear the annual "we're gonna win the Super Bowl this year, hon!" empty-headed bullshit claim.

Don't let the doorknob hit you in the vagina on the way out! :wave:

pancake
07-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I''m glad Ike is back, hope one of the young kids step up...

caplovestroyp43
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
WE LIKE IKE!!!!!! This is great news for this exhausted Steeler fan who is headed to be after she sends this.

WE LIKE IKE!!!! Did I just say that??? LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kingmagyar
07-28-2011, 07:44 AM
http://images9.cpcache.com/product/208978519v13_480x480_Front.jpg

truesteelerfan
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I know its for 4 years....but does anyone know the salary amount....specifically how big of a hit on the cap this season?

caplovestroyp43
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Priceless!!!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

caplovestroyp43
07-28-2011, 03:47 PM
http://images9.cpcache.com/product/208978519v13_480x480_Front.jpg

:toofunny::tt02::applaudit::hatsoff:

caplovestroyp43
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
<<Don't let the doorknob hit you in the vagina on the way out!>>

OMG!!!! That is so funny!! Good one!!! :tt02::tt02::applaudit::applaudit:

stb_steeler
07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
You'll come in with the usual trash talk on how we all suck and how you hate Pittsburgh and how your team is ready for the Super Bowl and is going to run the table on us to get there with ease.

Then the game will come, Roethlisberger will send you home licking your wounds and we won't see you again until the next meeting, and then the next meeting after that, and then the next meeting after that. All ending with the same result.

Baltimore being our BITCH.

bobbyjr. gotta new nick..or his brotherPlease says it isnt so!