PDA

View Full Version : To Colon or not to Colon?

Kingmagyar
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Reports are the Steelers are talking to Willie Colon. Considering no other team is really interested in the guy, it probably means Colon will be back. I would like to think we have someone close to playing the position like 2nd Rounder Marcus Gilbert although he may be the eventual Left Tackle for us.

This seems like Kendall Simmons all over again. Coming off an Achilles injury and with possible talent behind him. I hope we don't give Colon a big deal. His once a game false start penalties drove me crazy. Hope Flozell takes less for next year and take our chances with young guys in 2012. I wouldn't mind Colon as an option this year, but Flozell clearly played the position much better last year.

My vote don't sign him. But they will. (but give him a deal with less up front until he proves he is ok from that injury)

austinfrench76
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I say we release Flozell freeing up about 4-5million and sign Colon to a 3-4 year deal. All the while he mentors Gilbert. We then have Colon who can play either tackle and a good young player in Gilbert. Just my opinion.

thumper
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Colon is overrated - at least by this team. He's not even a legit RT -
definitely more of an OG. Short arms, fat. Hotel is a much better
option and gets along well with the fellas. I'd only want Colon at vet
minimum.

steelerchad
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Colon is overrated - at least by this team. He's not even a legit RT -
definitely more of an OG. Short arms, fat. Hotel is a much better
option and gets along well with the fellas. I'd only want Colon at vet
minimum.

I hope they sign Willie to a reasonable contract. Flo only has 1 year left and if Willie is willing to slide to RG for this year, our O-line should be the best it's been since the 05 SB run.
Starks/Kemo/Pouncey/Colon/Flozell
with Legursky backing up inside. If a tackle goes down with injury, slide Willie outside and plug Legursky inside.

55BaileyFan
07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I think Flozell is better than Colon right now. Our running game was much much better to the right side last season and Colon wasn't there. I think that the Steelers should let him go and keep some of the younger guys.

LVSteelersfan
07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't like Colon. Never have. So if he goes elsewhere it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

kirklandrules
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I like Willie, but a majority of players returning from Achilles surgery either bomb out of the league or don't play up to their former standard. Perfect opportunity to move on to younger talent here ... Hotel guiding Gilbert.

truesteelerfan
07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree...liked the attitude he brought up as a tough guy rookie...but no idea why the FO seems to feel he's a top 10 Tackle.... Since no one is interested, make a lower offer and maybe he'll bite...If he leaves, NBD even with Starks gone.... IMO the rookie can probably hold his own as well as slow footed Colon

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Maybe that fat ass Tony Hills will do something ... NOT! :sadpace:

Interesting that Foster is listed as a tackle and they still have Essex.

Rick5895
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Willie has resigned 5 yerars for 29 million

Steelboy84
07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
I think Flozell is better than Colon right now. Our running game was much much better to the right side last season and Colon wasn't there. I think that the Steelers should let him go and keep some of the younger guys.

this