PDA

View Full Version : I guess we're in the hunt for Plaxico again?

CargoJon
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
The Steelers have reportedly joined the Giants in pursuing a reunion with free agent Plaxico Burress.
Related: Steelers
Source: Chris Wesseling on Twitter

I hadn't seen this before, apologize if it's been discussed I have been on here much - but I did look around and didn't see anything posted....

thumper
07-27-2011, 03:06 PM
"Reportedly?" Don't believe the hype.

Can't truss it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHLnv--a9kA

kirklandrules
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Didn't Plaxico shoot Joey Porter in the azz? Just kidding. However, with everything the Steelers have going on, they aren't going to sign a felon. Additionally, they don't need him.

OX1947
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports free agent Plaxico Burress is expected to decide between the Giants and Steelers.

One report from a month ago suggested Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers' coaches were more interested in Plax than the front office and ownership were. Burress will meet with Giants coach Tom Coughlin Friday night, then fly to Pittsburgh to visit coach Mike Tomlin. The Giants have reportedly discussed a two-year, $10.5 million contract with 60 percent in salary and bonuses and the remainder in incentives.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/207187/report-plax-will-choose-steelers-or-giants

thumper
07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Didn't Plaxico shoot Joey Porter in the azz? Just kidding. However, with everything the Steelers have going on, they aren't going to sign a felon. Additionally, they don't need him.

I agree it isn't at all likely, but I wouldn't go so far as to say
we don't need him. I think he would really upgrade our passing
attack, and make up for Ward on the decline.

Wallace Ward Plex

with Brown and Sanders in the mix as well.

It would also open up our running game, as you need
safety help with both Wallace and Plex or they will beat
single coverage all day long.

CargoJon
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
The red zone threat guy....what we lost when Santo left....would be upgraded with Plax here.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Prolly don't have to worry about any ego problems now...

SteelCurtain5643
07-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Id deff take him back, Plax,Ward,Wallace, hell yes. So yea he shot himself in the leg and whatnot but people can look past that. If hes cleaned up his act I'm all for it

Steelboy84
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Just saw this on the ESPN bottom line. This could be huge. Get it done Colbert.

thumper
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Id deff take him back, Plax,Ward,Wallace, hell yes. So yea he shot himself in the leg and whatnot but people can look past that. If hes cleaned up his act I'm all for it

I could care less that he shot himself with an unregistered gun.
The embarrassment is punishment enough and if you've seen
him speak lately, he sounds very well grounded now. He seems
sincere and is saying all the right things. But don't need to think
much about it. Won't happen.

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Plax and Wallace on opposite sides with Sanders and Brown in the slot would be nightmares for opposing DBs. Ward can get thrown in there situationally on running downs :chuckle:

SteelCurtain5643
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I could care less that he shot himself with an unregistered gun.
The embarrassment is punishment enough and if you've seen
him speak lately, he sounds very well grounded now. He seems
sincere and is saying all the right things. But don't need to think
much about it. Won't happen.

Exactly I mean Ray Lewis killed someone and do ravens fans hate him? No

Farrior_roirraW
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Plax and Wallace on opposite sides with Sanders and Brown in the slot would be nightmares for opposing DBs. Ward can get thrown in there situationally on running downs :chuckle:

Sounds good to me. :chuckle:

As awesome as adding Plax is I'm not sure if he is really needed and with already being 10 mil over the cap before the Ike signing... I can't see this happening but then again I have no idea how the FO is going to deal with it.

pancake
07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Sounds good to me. :chuckle:

As awesome as adding Plax is I'm not sure if he is really needed and with already being 10 mil over the cap before the Ike signing... I can't see this happening but then again I have no idea how the FO is going to deal with it.

I don't see it happening either.

55BaileyFan
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
They won't grab him, waste of money. They signed a few young guys with his size and who knows they might be decent and at a way lower price.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
We will also have Roethlisberger for the entire 2011 campaign. If the Steelers sign Plax and add a weapon to already an arsenal of them, then it's no stretch. The AFC should be the Steelers to lose at this point.

I think this would be an incredible signing. This would make our offense complete.

jjpro11
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
i don't see it happening at all.. not with our cap issues.

austinfrench76
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I would love it but....it aint gonna happen.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
i don't see it happening at all.. not with our cap issues.

It will ultimately be up to Plax than anybody. He is meeting with Tomlin Friday, so there IS interests on both sides. Why would the Steelers even waste their OR Plaxico's time if they wouldn't make a valid offer?

It's possible.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
We can you a spread offence and that would be scary no one would stop us

stb_steeler
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
It will ultimately be up to Plax than anybody. He is meeting with Tomlin Friday, so there IS interests on both sides. Why would the Steelers even waste their OR Plaxico's time if they wouldn't make a valid offer?

It's possible.

I agree...something tells me he'll want Pitt.....just my opinion!

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Well so much for unloading on the Eagles for signing convicted felon Vick if this is true

I thought Plax to Philly was virtually a done deal?:noidea:

If the Giants are offering $10 million for 2 years I cannot see the Steelers spending near that

jjpro11
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM

It's possible.

we met with Ty Law a few years ago too.. nothing came of it. not saying signing Plax is impossible.. but highly unlikely imo with our cap situation the way it is and some of the guys we have coming up on free agency. WR isn't even a necessity for us.. it'd just be a luxury.

CrunkJeezy
07-27-2011, 09:01 PM
We could use a big guy like Plax just dont know if i want the drama and circus thats to come with it. Plus not to mention we brought in what four big undrafted rooks. I would rather cut some of the dead weight at wide-out and bring along one of the big youngs guys were bringing to camp. As long as they impress.

Wallace108
07-27-2011, 09:47 PM
we met with Ty Law a few years ago too.. nothing came of it. not saying signing Plax is impossible.. but highly unlikely imo with our cap situation the way it is and some of the guys we have coming up on free agency. WR isn't even a necessity for us.. it'd just be a luxury.

That's the key, I think. If WR was a need, I think bringing back Plaxico would be a no-brainer. But we have other needs, and like you said, we also have cap issues. I just don't see it happening.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:03 PM

But yet, what was missing in the Super Bowl? That WR threat in crunch time that could soak and sway a defense to one side of the field, let alone somebody stepping up. We have one helluva explosive offense in the making. Getting a big body like Plax, who Ben LOVES, will only make our offense COMPLETE.

It's good to atleast see us pursue.

CrunkJeezy
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
@stainless steel- I like your view we have been missing that go to guy in clutch since we had to deal holmes, i just dont want the espn circus to follow us all year b/c we got plax. Just another distraction for a team that has an easy enough time making them on there own.

tanda10506
07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I agree also. I would love to see them get Plax back. In the clutch I still think Ward is a go to guy for the big catch, problem is he's not open any more for the big catch. Plax gets himself open and can go right over the top. I don't like the idea of them signing a felon because of the probable public outcry, but I would like to see him back.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
@stainless steel- I like your view we have been missing that go to guy in clutch since we had to deal holmes, i just dont want the espn circus to follow us all year b/c we got plax. Just another distraction for a team that has an easy enough time making them on there own.

I don't really think Plax would be a distraction at all. If anything, it'll take focus OFF of yet another controversial off-season (Mendenhall, Ward, Harrison, etc.)

It would actually be a nice story. A player who started his career in Pittsburgh, leaves the city only to find success and win a Super Bowl ring with another team only to fall hard from grace and spend time in jail. To be given a chance with that team that drafted you is a nice story, especially one coming off of a Super Bowl.

Besides, we got one of the , if not, THEE best coach in the NFL that deals with distractions. He has been handeling it since his rookie year in 2007 with Faneca, all the way through the Ben scandals and 'til now. We'll be alright.

It's not a guarantee. I have a feeling he'll take the money but he knows deep down it'll be hard to turn down to play for someone like Tomlin. Interesting developments.

PhantomJB93
07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
If we're actually gonna sign somebody relatively notable in FA, I'm not sure if Id rather have Plax or a decent CB (Rogers/Marshall)...

Plax would make our offense deadly and I have no problems with him except for themoney he'll probably cost...

ggoldman
07-27-2011, 11:43 PM
How will Sanders & Brown see the field if we sign Plax?

JCPsteelers
07-28-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't get this at all. Why is Tomlin interested in these washed up veterans like Tiki and Plaxico?

ricardisimo
07-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Agreed. Makes zero sense. We're set at WR. We're already over the cap. He's expensive. He's old. He's been in jail.

I know why this forum is discussing him. It's the business of our members to salivate over every single free agent that comes along. But why is Tomlin doing it? Beyond weird. :noidea:

Deserei90
07-28-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't get this at all. Why is Tomlin interested in these washed up veterans like Tiki and Plaxico?They were never interested in Tiki anyways. Plax on the other hands, Maybe their looking for a taller receiver:noidea:

Aussie Steeler
07-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a very good move for the Steelers?

Last year, from what I recall, we had a VERY poor TD% when in the opponents' redzone. Plax would provide us with a tall end zone threat, which we need. Wouldn't be a bad signing. I doubt he's demanding too much money - just coming out of jail. I'm actually expecting this to work out, anticipating that Sweed (possibly), Battle and Randle El will be cut within the next few days.

BIGNASTY91
07-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a very good move for the Steelers?

Last year, from what I recall, we had a VERY poor TD% when in the opponents' redzone. Plax would provide us with a tall end zone threat, which we need. Wouldn't be a bad signing. I doubt he's demanding too much money - just coming out of jail. I'm actually expecting this to work out, anticipating that Sweed (possibly), Battle and Randle El will be cut within the next few days.

Agree 100%. Plax would make our redzone so much better! I may be wrong but i got a feeling he will be in the black and gold this year:noidea: :tt03:

Kingmagyar
07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
It will probably come down to the money like with Jamir Jagr and his reunion with the Penguins but...

If it comes down to a meeting with stuffy coach Tom Coughlin, who fines you for not having two feet on the floor during team meetings or a Cool Cat like Mike Tomlin, who is Burress going to relate to more and want to play for more? Countless players from other teams always try to seek Tomlin out after games to shake his hand. They respect and want to play for a guy like that in a second.

The first thing I would say to Burress is, "Do you want to play and pay a bunch of money in state taxes to a state that put you in jail? A team that cut you within days of your problems?"

Max Starks is going to be released. Flozell may not be back. That would add 11 million or so dollars to our cap. The Giants deal would = 10 mil with incentives not in guaranteed money. We may just sign this guy.

It does seem we are desperate for a tall receiver. Limas Sweed in the last year of his deal is probably going to make close to 2 mil. And we sure have enough UDFA Tall Wide Receivers.

2 Receivers that both require double coverage would be a huge advantage to the Steelers at this point.

However If it was me and I could get another top corner out there for the same money. I would have to take the cornerback. I still have an old Burress shirt though...

Bricks46
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Exactly I mean Ray Lewis killed someone and do ravens fans hate him? No

LOL

CargoJon
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
With cutting Starks and ARE, this could become a reality.

I heard on ESPN this morning Plax having dinner with the Giants tonight and with Tomlin tomorrow night.

Pentheon
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
As much of an asshole I think and heard he is from people around here I wouldnt mind having him back...we know what hes capable of and I think hes gonna be a much smarter person after what hes been through so yea bring em back home

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Agree 100%. Plax would make our redzone so much better! I may be wrong but i got a feeling he will be in the black and gold this year:noidea: :tt03:

I don't get the redzone comments. Ben never challenged Plax to go up for balls in the redzone when he was here. And I have yet to see Ben throw anything like a jump ball to any receiver over 6' tall. He had two shots at Spaeth against the Jets during the regular season and he didn't throw anything high to a guy that is 6'7" and could clearly out-reach the defenders.

I really don't see this deal happening. Most likely, they are doing Plax's agent a favor to make his client seem wanted (just in case they need that agent to deliver a truly valued player in the future). And it costs nothing to talk to someone.

SteelReich
07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
im indifferent about this one. plax isnt the same guy as he was during his first tour as a steeler. im all about 2nd chances so i'd like to see what he can do. just dont want to pay a lot for him. i really like sanders, i think hes primed for a great year. but i think brown is still a year away from being a good slot wr. he reminds me sort of a devin hester type of player. i say keep him kr and pr and if we can get plax for good money, then do it. problem is, g-men are looking at him too... might not come as cheap as we'd hope

thumper
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Agreed. Makes zero sense. We're set at WR. We're already over the cap. He's expensive. He's old. He's been in jail.

I know why this forum is discussing him. It's the business of our members to salivate over every single free agent that comes along. But why is Tomlin doing it? Beyond weird. :noidea:

I take no "report" at face value. These guys fancy themselves as
master poker players and constantly try to use feints to "trick"
other teams. It's all a joke. They are kidding themselves if they
think their poker moves really matter at the end of the day.

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2011, 01:33 PM
With cutting Starks and ARE, this could become a reality.

Starks and Randel-El being cut still requires additional cuts to get to $10 million under the cap even without signing Colon or somoene else

IMO lot of this Burress "news" is Drew Rosenhaus driven to drive up the price whomever really signs him will pay

cloppbeast
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Probably because our tallest WR is 5'10". It's hard to win with a bunch of midgets at the WR position.

I'm not normally one to "salvate", if you will, over FAs, but in my opinion, this signing makes more sense economically than the rest of them, even a CB.

tony hipchest
07-28-2011, 01:51 PM
i checked the register and it appears the rooneys have not yet gotten ben a wedding present. :hunch:

ebsteelers
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
100 million? isnt that enough of a gift?

Kingmagyar
07-28-2011, 02:26 PM
This is no gift to an agent to make Burress look like he is wanted. Maybe if it is Ralph Cindrich they would do him a favor but not Drew Rosenhaus. They also wouldn't fly Plaxico into a small town airport like Latrobe to offer him a joke of a deal. This is serious folks. We may not get him but this is a serious run at Plaxico, of that I'm sure. He may not get out of NY without signing a new deal there, but the Steelers want this guy.

Rosenhaus may screw the Steelers and not even show, but the Steelers are serious.

ricardisimo
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Probably because our tallest WR is 5'10". It's hard to win with a bunch of midgets at the WR position.

I'm not normally one to "salvate", if you will, over FAs, but in my opinion, this signing makes more sense economically than the rest of them, even a CB.
But it's not hard to win with midget receivers. That's what we've been doing since Plaxico left... a lot of winning, in fact. And not one but two SB MVP-winning midget WRs along the way, Plaxico NOT being one of them.

What's hard is winning without an offensive line or cornerbacks.

pancake
07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
If it happens, it happens... I just don't think it will, but I have been surprised before by the FO...

stb_steeler
07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
But it's not hard to win with midget receivers. That's what we've been doing since Plaxico left... a lot of winning, in fact. And not one but two SB MVP-winning midget WRs along the way, Plaxico NOT being one of them.

Just ask the Patriots, their playing with more c o c k roach's than ever!...Oooops, i mean little people......

Steelboy84
07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Giants 'a long way' from signing Plaxico Burress says co-owner John Mara; two sides to talk Friday

BY Ralph Vacchiano
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 6:00 PM

Plaxico Burress will make his long-awaited return to the Meadowlands Friday night, but there remains a good chance that it will only be a one-night-only affair.

The Giants are "a long way" from a reunion with their disgraced former Super Bowl hero, according to co-owner John Mara, despite Tom Coughlin's willingness to sit down with Burress to see if they can work out their differences. That promises to be a difficult and brutally honest conversation between two sometimes adversaries.

It's also only the first step.

"The question is: Are we going to be able to move past the past and are we going to be able to live with each other going forward?" Mara said earlier Thursday on The Mike Lupica Show on ESPN Radio. "That's going to be up to him. It's going to be up to the coach and general manager. And then we've got to get to the salary considerations."

The salary cap is obviously an issue, considering how many players the Giants had to cut Thursday in their effort to get under the $120 million cap – veterans linemen Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert and Shawn Andrews and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard were all expected to be released Thursday evening. They are also still trying to restructure the contracts of several players, such as running back Brandon Jacobs, and they'd like to re-sign some of their own free agents like running back Ahmad Bradshaw and tight end Kevin Boss.

Because of that, Mara said Burress could be an unaffordable luxury.

"I'm not entirely convinced all of that is going to work either," he said.

Still, the Burress-Coughlin relationship is clearly the biggest stumbling block, given all the trouble the receiver caused in his first tenure with the Giants. In his four years with the Giants, Burress accumulated a deep resume filled with fines, benchings and a suspension while often flaunting Coughlin's legendary rules. He then blasted Coughlin in several interviews since his release from prison in June and seemed to sound as if he was unwilling to consider playing for Coughlin again.

Still, he's apparently willing to at least talk about the possibility. He is due at the Giants facility sometime after 6 p.m. tomorrow night for the much-anticipated sit-down. What he says and how he acts could quickly determine if the process is at a beginning or an end.

"I think he is a different guy," Mara said of Burress. "Now the question is: Can he live within the system here? Then once we get past that: Can we make his salary number fit within our salary cap? It really is a two-fold step and that begins (tonight)."

The second step will be for Coughlin and the Giants' front office to meet and decide whether they are truly interested in the 33-year-old receiver. They have not prepared a contract offer, the sources said, despite reports that the Giants have a two-year, $10 million offer ready.

"We're still a long way from signing a contract or agreeing to terms with him," Mara said.

In fact, there are some in the organization who don't believe they ever will. One team source lamented how much this meeting has been hyped and suggested the publicity was being generated by Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, in an effort to spark some interest in his client.

Maybe that's true, but in an interview earlier Thursday with ProFootballTalk.com's PFT Live, Mara insisted "I think it would have been foolish for us not to even have the conversation with him. We'll see what happens after that, but obviously you have to be interested in somebody that has that kind of talent."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/07/28/2011-07-28_giants_a_long_way_from_signing_plaxico_burress_ says_coowner_john_mara_two_sides_.html

cloppbeast
07-28-2011, 07:13 PM

True enough. I suppose I put my foot in my mouth on that one.

Nevertheless, despite my previous poor effort, you must admit a tall WR is an asset to a team, right - especially a team that sucks in the red-zone?

ricardisimo
07-28-2011, 07:44 PM
True enough. I suppose I put my foot in my mouth on that one.

Nevertheless, despite my previous poor effort, you must admit a tall WR is an asset to a team, right - especially a team that sucks in the red-zone?
No doubt, but we got a bit better in the red zone last year, and I still think the real key to a red zone offense is the O-line. Wideouts are really more helpful between the 20s than they are beyond them (unless they're blocking, like Hines.)

3rdandlong
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah, we need a threat in the red zone. We need someone with size, not just Heath. Our offense wasn't as good as it could be in the red zone. I'm for Plax, if the price is right.

steeltheone
07-28-2011, 09:01 PM

I think you overrate our receivers ...Sure there is a lot of potential.....Nothing real special yet..

Fire Arians
07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
i like plax but i think sanders will have a breakout year

ricardisimo
07-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I think you overrate our receivers ...Sure there is a lot of potential.....Nothing real special yet..
I didn't say our receivers were the best in the league, just that it's not an area of need. Even if it were, go after Lance Moore, or even TO if age and character aren't concerns.

SoCalFan
07-28-2011, 10:01 PM
TO over Plax??? Uhhh,NO!!!

austinfrench76
07-28-2011, 10:23 PM
No matter what happens here, I will never be able to figure out why we are NEVER attached to a huge OL free agent. You never hear about Tomlin setting up a meeting with Steve Hutchinson or any other big name FA OLineman. $100 million dollar, franchise QB and a $.50 OL! Unbelieveable!

Kanata-Steeler
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
this is back to Arien's "air it out" all the time plan.
Arien's is definitely behind the lets get Plax for Ben.
But ya, we really need a good OL too ! just for Mr. $100MillionBerger

Pit fan from Mass.
07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
im all set with Plax, dont want him back

whats the deal with that Wes Lyons cat? hopefully he can get something going for the team.

at least in RedZone situations

Pit fan from Mass.
07-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, we need a threat in the red zone. We need someone with size, not just Heath. Our offense wasn't as good as it could be in the red zone. I'm for Plax, if the price is right.

the only threat we have in the redzone right now is bruce arians and Ben Roethlisburger.

his play calling sucks, im sick and tired of FG's or fumbles and sacks out of FG range when Arians can run the ball or Ben throw check downs and work our way up to the goal line. it seemed like they were getting a little better towards the end of the season with dropping the cowboy, hero, get it done with one play routine.

I think getting Plax will negate any progress we made in changing the redzone mentality.

Kingmagyar
07-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I Don't see Burress so much as the Red Zone Savior, but a guy that will require double coverage deep down field. And if he has the double coverage that means Mike Wallace has the single coverage. Which means ...Touchdown. or vice versa.

Steelboy84
07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Steelers Notes: Wideouts want Plax back

osted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:38 pm | Updated: 11:25 pm, Thu Jul 28, 2011.

Steelers Notes: Wideouts want Plax back By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com Timesonline.com | 0 comments

LATROBE - Count Emmanuel Sanders among the Steelers who would like to see Plaxico Burress return to the Steelers.

"Plaxico, come back to the ‘Burgh," Sanders said Thursday after reporting to training camp. "We can use you here."

Burress, the Steelers' No. l pick in the 2000 draft, spent the past two seasons in prison on felony weapon charges. He'll be 34 in August but wants to play again, possibly with the Steelers or the Giants.

If Burress would resurface in Pittsburgh, he would probably take away playing time from Sanders and Antonio Brown, who both played well last year as rookie reserves. Neither Sanders nor Brown, however, would be disappointed to have Burress on the team.

"I think it would be great," Sanders said. "He's a big receiver and we don't have one. We don't have a 6-5 receiver on this team. Whoever wants to come in and put their hand in the pile and help us win a championship, I'm all for it."

"I'm not worried about anyone else. I'm just worried about me," Brown said. "That's where it starts, with me. Having Plaxico here would not be a threat to me at all. Whatever I'm asked to do, I'll do. I'd welcome him with open arms."

CONDITIONING EVALUATION

Because of the four-month lockout that prevented teams from holding off-season practices and training workouts, coach Mike Tomlin isn't sure what kind of physical condition the Steelers are in.

That's why he slightly changed the format for the traditional running test at start of camp each year.

"It was a conditioning evaluation as opposed to a conditioning test," he said. "We don't know where these guys have been. More than anything, we wanted to see where these guys are from a conditioning standpoint. And that provided knowledge for us as we proceed. So, it went extremely well, and I liked the conditioning of many of the men."

This year, the conditioning evaluation consisted of groups of players taking turns running seven 100-yard sprints.

Four Steelers could not finish the evaluation. WR Limas Sweed and RB Jonathan Dwyer were excused after three or four sprints and NT Casey Hampton and OT Flozell Adams after just a few sprints.

TRANSACTIONS BUSINESS

-- Thursday evening, the Steelers agreed to terms with two of their tackles who were unrestricted free agents -- Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott. Colon agreed to a five-year deal worth $29 million. He turned down a $32 million dollar offer from the Bears. Scott started at left tackle for 13 games last year, the playoffs included, after Max Starks was put on the injured reserve list. Starks was cut early Thursday morning.

-- The Steelers are still deciding the fate of nine more unrestricted free agents -- CBs William Gay and Anthony Madison; LB Keyaron Fox; DL Chris Hoke and Nick Eason; RB Mewelde Moore; OL Trai Essex, P Dan Sepulveda and LS Greg Warren. Their two restricted free agents are QB Dennis Dixon and OT Tony Hills.

-- TE Matt Spaeth agreed to a free-agent contract with Chicago.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-wideouts-want-plax-back/article_421b8301-d6cd-5ca5-8368-51a96fc5b876.html

BIGNASTY91
07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Any word on the meeting? Did it even take place? Haven't ear from giants so something must be up???:tt03:

Pittsburgh43
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Word is that it did take place and lasted about 90 minutes. Plax then got into a limo and left, presumably to head to Pittsburgh.

Fire Haley
07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Plex left by a side door and didn't talk to the media.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/coughlin-meets-face-to-face-with-plaxico-burress-1218634.html

Still in the running....C'mon Plex, who would you rather work for?

Grouchy old man stinky pants Coughlin?....or Mr Smooooooooth....Tomlin...

Don't take no crap from old stinky pants, Plex....you know you want to be a Steeler again...you don't need money - you're a free man now.

ebsteelers
07-30-2011, 10:25 AM
the steelers alert woke me up this morning saying they were in a meeting with him right now

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
The Steelers say they are interested in signing wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who had breakfast with coach Mike Tomlin at Saint Vincent College and remained on campus for perhaps lunch as well.

Burress, who also met with team president Art Rooney and football operations boss Kevin Colbert, was still meeting with Tomlin as the lunchour approached in what Colbert described as a "get to know" period for each other.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164126-100.stm

If I am Burress I would not take it as a good sign Tomlin was only willing to buy breakfast rather than spring for dinner and a movie - Plax needs to let the Steelers know he is not a cheap date

Farrior_roirraW
07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
The Steelers say they are interested in signing wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who had breakfast with coach Mike Tomlin at Saint Vincent College and remained on campus for perhaps lunch as well.

Burress, who also met with team president Art Rooney and football operations boss Kevin Colbert, was still meeting with Tomlin as the lunchour approached in what Colbert described as a "get to know" period for each other.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164126-100.stm

If I am Burress I would not take it as a good sign Tomlin was only willing to buy breakfast rather than spring for dinner and a movie - Plax needs to let the Steelers know he is not a cheap date

I think it has to do more with the lockout and camp opening up with a lot of roster moves/free agency just beginning, so there's simply no time to do what you suggested.

Anyways, I read something on ESPN saying Plax has his eyes on the Eagles, no idea if it's true or not but they were 30 mil under the cap I think before the Nnamdi, Babin, and Young signings. I don't know what the Eagles think about Plax or even if they're interested but if the Eagles are... I'm thinking he probably end up in Philly. But, I guess we'll see what happens with him and Tomlin.

StainlessStill
07-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I heard it will come down to the Steelers and Jets.

Plax dined with Tomlin not once, but twice as well as QB's Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwhich and wideout Hines Ward.

Man, come on Plax!!!! Come back to the Burgh. We need that redzone threat more than any other team in this f*cking league....

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Plax dined with Tomlin not once, but twice as well as QB's Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwhich and wideout Hines Ward...

But will he stay overnight and, if so, with whom?

PhantomJB93
07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Apparently the Giants are out, but the Jets and 49ers are now interested. And the Steelers are reportedly trying their hardest to keep him in St Vincent for the day because they know if he leaves, their chances of signing him drop significantly.

I actually really hope we sign him (for an acceptable price), he will complete our passing attack and should free up space for Wallace. Imagine 4 receiver sets with Hines, Wallace, Burress, and Sanders/Brown...I mean one of them's gotta get open, right?:tt02:

OX1947
07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
If Plax takes 3 mil per, Steelers would sign him. I dont think the Steelers can pay him 5 million per. That might be the magic number for him.

jpa375
07-30-2011, 02:17 PM
My professional opinion is it's done deal. Plax is a steeler. Stranger things have happened. Right, RobRossi_Trib? #JagrWatch. Stay tuned

jpa375
07-30-2011, 02:19 PM
The above post was the last tweet from Mark Kaboly who has been covering PlaxWatch all day.

Farrior_roirraW
07-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't think there's any chance we get Burress if more teams become interested, the price will be out of our reach.

StainlessStill
07-30-2011, 02:46 PM
My professional opinion is it's done deal. Plax is a steeler. Stranger things have happened. Right, RobRossi_Trib? #JagrWatch. Stay tuned

Sources? Or his opinion? & Why does that say Jagr watch? That's fishy.

I'll shit my pants if Plax signs. I don't think any one of you realizes what this does to our overall football team. Lets just say, we start booking for Indy now!:tt04:

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
IMO Burress is using the Steelers to drive up the price someone else will pay

Steelers are still way over the cap

The Steelers, still way over the salary cap, may have to release more veterans if they are unable to use contract renegotiation tactics in order to come into compliance by the $120 million team salary maximum by Thursday, said Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations.

"We'll do some renegotiations,'' Colbert said, but warned that there "could be further terminations.'' (memo to A. Smith - this means you)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164129-66.stm

And there are $$ to sign Burress?:noidea:

Guess again

BIGNASTY91
07-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Now its being reported on NFLN that he is now talking to eagles to see what they have to offer? Those guys look down right nasty on paper this year! Hope he still signs with us! :tt03:

PhantomJB93
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Steelers are still way over the cap

The Steelers, still way over the salary cap, may have to release more veterans if they are unable to use contract renegotiation tactics in order to come into compliance by the $120 million team salary maximum by Thursday, said Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations.

"We'll do some renegotiations,'' Colbert said, but warned that there "could be further terminations.'' (memo to A. Smith - this means you)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164129-66.stm

And there are $$ to sign Burress?:noidea:

Guess again

Ugh...we went through this already with Jagrwatch, if I see another veteran teasing Pittsburgh with a return only to drive up the price for other teams I might cry...

ricardisimo
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
The experiment last year with Randle El went so well that I can see why the Steelers would want to do it all over again with Plaxico. :doh: Sheer idiocy.

All of this drama does serve one purpose: it should clear up exactly how the Steelers feel about Sweed.

Steeler4life1972
07-30-2011, 05:35 PM
I actually just heard philly may sign plax!

Wallace108
07-30-2011, 06:17 PM

That's probably the most sensible thing I've heard.

From an offensive perspective, I'd love to have Plax back. But it just doesn't make sense from either his or the Steelers' perspectives.

The Steelers are already over the cap, and they have more needs other than WR.
Plax missed out on a lot of money during his jail stint, and being older, he's not going to get many more big contracts. He has to get it while he can, and he's not going to get it from the Steelers.

tanda10506
07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I heard it will come down to the Steelers and Jets.

Plax dined with Tomlin not once, but twice as well as QB's Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwhich and wideout Hines Ward.

Man, come on Plax!!!! Come back to the Burgh. We need that redzone threat more than any other team in this f*cking league....

^completely agree, it will be HUGE.

I completely disagree with the thought of him talking to the Steelers to raise the price. Of the teams interested, the Steelers are twice as likely to win a championship. With 2 years of his career empty and gone, he might be looking for a another championship.

OX1947
07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Plaxico has cancelled his meeting with the Jets for Sunday. Unless it turns into a Nnamdi situation, looks like Plax will sign with either the Giants or Steelers.

ricardisimo
07-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I guess there's something I'm just not getting. Can anyone point to any sort of stat that would suggest that a WR is what we were lacking? Were you people this excited by the ARE signing last year?

Also, what's the obsession with "the tall receiver"? I can only recall one jump ball Ben has thrown in the endzone, and it was to a very shrimpy Santonio. He just doesn't do it, and never did. Heath and Spaeth were his tall targets, and he'd throw the ball right into their number every time, never up high.

OX1947
07-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I guess there's something I'm just not getting. Can anyone point to any sort of stat that would suggest that a WR is what we were lacking? Were you people this excited by the ARE signing last year?

Also, what's the obsession with "the tall receiver"? I can only recall one jump ball Ben has thrown in the endzone, and it was to a very shrimpy Santonio. He just doesn't do it, and never did. Heath and Spaeth were his tall targets, and he'd throw the ball right into their number every time, never up high.

I do not think tall or short has anything to do with it. I think the Steelers could have used Holmes in the Super Bowl very much and it may have made a difference. Plax gives the team an option that wont allow teams to double Wallace. Plax is the middle of the field, Hines is slot and Wallace is deep. And then our second year receivers can come in and be effective in certain packages.

I would love Assante Samuel if that was an option. With his petulance for INTs would be the perfect compliment with Ike's coverage abilities. But, the numbers do not work. So, if the defense can not be as effective, try and outscore the other team, that seems to be the trend in the new NFL.

tanda10506
07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I do not think tall or short has anything to do with it.

It has a lot to do with it. It's not really jump balls as it is the over the top threat. The ball can be thrown to him much higher because of his height, which means he's technically "open" when other receivers are not.

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
^completely agree, it will be HUGE.

I completely disagree with the thought of him talking to the Steelers to raise the price. Of the teams interested, the Steelers are twice as likely to win a championship. With 2 years of his career empty and gone, he might be looking for a another championship.

I respectfully disagree - he has a championship - he is looking for $$ after losing 2 prime earnings years - it is not as if Plax will be earning big $$ on Wall Street by running a hedge fund after football

ricardisimo
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
I respectfully disagree - he has a championship - he is looking for $$ after losing 2 prime earnings years - it is not as if Plax will be earning big $$ on Wall Street by running a hedge fund after football
Exactly, and besides, it's not as thought the Bungles or the Clowns are courting him. The Eagles, Jets and Giants are all legitimate contenders, so the importance of winning another ring is a fake argument.

OX1947
07-30-2011, 09:29 PM
It has a lot to do with it. It's not really jump balls as it is the over the top threat. The ball can be thrown to him much higher because of his height, which means he's technically "open" when other receivers are not.

If that were the case, Fred Gibson and Limas Sweed would be our #1 and #2 recievers right now. Talent is what I am talking about. Steelers are not courting Plaxico because he is 6'5.

pete74
07-31-2011, 05:44 AM
We can sure use Plex. Sewed hurt his hamstring already and like I said, will never contribuate to an nfl team. Sanders is having problems with his foot again and isnt practicing. I see Sanders never becoming the star he has the potential to become because of injuries.

Balls of Steel
07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Looks like he's a Jet. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8211fb72/article/two-months-removed-from-jail-burress-resumes-career-with-jets?module=HP11_headline_stack

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 08:57 AM
We tried, which is good. I'm glad we atleast made an effort to bring him in and say what we needed to say.

Funny how he spends ALL day with us talking deals, talking former teammates and talking making a run and literally ONE minute with the Jets to make his decision. MONEY TALKS.

We will do our talking on the field, not FA.

fer522
07-31-2011, 09:00 AM
this sucks ass :banging:

Moss we're coming for you!!! :chuckle:

55BaileyFan
07-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Burress to the Jets...I knew he wouldn't resign. He just tried to get the price up for his services by getting teams involved.

ggoldman
07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Its not like he was tearing up defenses before he went to prison

xli...
07-31-2011, 09:09 AM
We tried, which is good. I'm glad we atleast made an effort to bring him in and say what we needed to say.

Funny how he spends ALL day with us talking deals, talking former teammates and talking making a run and literally ONE minute with the Jets to make his decision. MONEY TALKS.

We will do our talking on the field, not FA.

It's probably a nice kick to the face to Big Ben. Since he always talks about wanting Plax back and wanting that tall receiver.

Maybe Sweed will learn to catch in the NFL.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:18 AM
It's probably a nice kick to the face to Big Ben. Since he always talks about wanting Plax back and wanting that tall receiver.

Maybe Sweed will learn to catch in the NFL.

We'll see how he likes it when noodle arm, dirty Sanchez is scuffing balls at his feet. Although, look at the bright side. It'll be nice to see him tear up New England's secondary so there's a positive in all of this.

Thing is, is that we are still over the cap. How in God's green Earth would we make an offer? The Jets probably did no talking. "Here is the signing paper. 1 year, 3 million guaranteed. Here's the pen. Take it or leave it" versus waiting for the Steelers to cut meat and that offer being less. It's simple logistics.

fer522
07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
tha deal was made over the phone
he was not even in their facilities

xli...
07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
We'll see how he likes it when noodle arm, dirty Sanchez is scuffing balls at his feet. Although, look at the bright side. It'll be nice to see him tear up New England's secondary so there's a positive in all of this.

Thing is, is that we are still over the cap. How in God's green Earth would we make an offer? The Jets probably did no talking. "Here is the signing paper. 1 year, 3 million guaranteed. Here's the pen. Take it or leave it" versus waiting for the Steelers to cut meat and that offer being less. It's simple logistics.

Very True.

How in God's green Earth are we always over (or close to) the cap each year? No matter we can't sign shit in the off-season.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Very True.

How in God's green Earth are we always over (or close to) the cap each year? No matter we can't sign shit in the off-season.

I think it's just taking care of ourselves and giving OUR players, the ones we drafted, PITTSBURGH STEELERS, the rights they deserved. Guys like Polamalu, Woodley and Ben just NEED to be retained at a high price so it starts there and makes it way down. Guys like Plax would of been a nice accolade to make a run at another Super Bowl.

Personally, I'm already over it. 3rd down back anyone?

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:29 AM

HAH! What a sell-out. Didn't even have the decency to meet his employers face to face. Hilarious!

Just makes you respect guys like Willie Colon even more who turn down good money to stay. It's guys like him who help you win a Super Bowl. Guys who legitimately love this team.

solardave
07-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Very True.

Why should we. We don't need Plaxico. Look at our track record and tell me we need to hunt down high (or even medium dollar) FA's.
Last year I thought our o-line woes were huge and we would have to do something. We did. We drafted a pro bowl center and made it to the big game. even then we used a backup center when Maurkice went down.
I've come to trust the FO when they yawn at all these free agents and then bring in someone like Flozell to get us to the big dance on the cheap.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Why should we. We don't need Plaxico. Look at our track record and tell me we need to hunt down high (or even medium dollar) FA's.
Last year I thought our o-line woes were huge and we would have to do something. We did. We drafted a pro bowl center and made it to the big game. even then we used a backup center when Maurkice went down.
I've come to trust the FO when they yawn at all these free agents and then bring in someone like Flozell to get us to the big dance on the cheap.

Great post. +1. Truer words haven't been spoken. I think, for the fanbase, it's exciting to see us do something. After it's all said and done, we as a fanbase move on and go back to the same mentality reality. Our men are built from the draft.

Just like you said about the Hotel signing last season to put us over the hump, I'd atleast love a 3rd down back for Ben.

xli...
07-31-2011, 09:43 AM
HAH! What a sell-out. Didn't even have the decency to meet his employers face to face. Hilarious!

Just makes you respect guys like Willie Colon even more who turn down good money to stay. It's guys like him who help you win a Super Bowl. Guys who legitimately love this team.

Word on the street is he talked to Sexy Rexy and that closed the deal. That and 3 mil guaranteed.

xli...
07-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Great post. +1. Truer words haven't been spoken. I think, for the fanbase, it's exciting to see us do something. After it's all said and done, we as a fanbase move on and go back to the same mentality reality. Our men are built from the draft.

Just like you said about the Hotel signing last season to put us over the hump, I'd atleast love a 3rd down back for Ben.

Who is still out there and looks affordable?

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Haha, Sexy Rexy.

Something tells me Plax didn't see this:

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/RexToss.gif

Get use to it New York. You won't be going to 4 straight AFC Titles games.:tt04:

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Very True.

Three Super Bowl and four AFC championship appearances in the last 7 years - too bad the front office has nothing to show for how it has been spending its $$$.

It takes talent to achieve those results and talent gets paid or walks - Steelers are a veteran team that has lost only one FA in the last 7 years (Burress) who was in his prime when he left - that is why they are capped out

Your post would led one to believe the Steelers front office is as clueless as the Bills or Browns

BIGNASTY91
07-31-2011, 09:49 AM
It would have been nice to have him, but it wasnt a necessety. Im over it. Ready to move on and start the season!!! :tt03:

xli...
07-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Well they didn't really yawn at this FA, they had an afternoon of meetings, broke bread with players/coaches, etc.

I'm fine with the team not going after all these FA (with 6 rings they know what they are doing) but when they do go after one and it doesn't work out, it just kinda sucks.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Who is still out there and looks affordable?

I've lobbied for Jason Snelling for a long time, RB/FB from Atlanta. He had a big body presence about him and can give Ben a reliable threat out of the backfield as well as share carries with Mendenhall if need be. A big body between the tackles but yet, can still catch swinging out to be a threat in the passing game.

Barber signed with the Bears, I always said he'd look great in Black and Gold. I'd like to see a push to land somebody. If not, Mewelde will get his last chance, along with Redman. Not sure what John Clay or Baron Batch would have to offer.

stb_steeler
07-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Haha, Sexy Rexy.

Something tells me Plax didn't see this:

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/RexToss.gif

Get use to it New York. You won't be going to 4 straight AFC Titles games.:tt04:

Sickening thing is, he's still on tv talkin bout winning it all again.....That shits gettin old. When the end results produce pics like this it is priceless....:toofunny:

ETL
07-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I heard that he asked Mike Wallace for #17 and Wallace told him to go FCUK himself

That pretty much killed the deal

jjpro11
07-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Jets vs Eagles... 2011 Paper Champs Super Bowl... book it.

tanda10506
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Three Super Bowl and four AFC championship appearances in the last 7 years - too bad the front office has nothing to show for how it has been spending its $$$.

It takes talent to achieve those results and talent gets paid or walks - Steelers are a veteran team that has lost only one FA in the last 7 years (Burress) who was in his prime when he left - that is why they are capped out

Your post would led one to believe the Steelers front office is as clueless as the Bills or Browns

The FO definetly makes good decisions, but I often wonder to how we are always so close every year without any big FA signings and teams like the Jets can buy as many guys as they want every year. You made a good point and I agree with you, the FO knows what it's doing, but I still don't see how we are always over or at the cap.

It sucks to see Burris go to the Jets. We would have beat the Jets in the regular season if not for some HORRIBLE calls at the end, or Spaeth's hands of stone, whichever you want to say lost it, and we smashed on them hard in the AFC championship game. It's a shame they ended up catching up so much, but we still beat them, and in the first half we destroyed them. That being said, and I know it sounds contradicting to what I just said, but how are we going to match up against Holmes and Burris? Is Edwards staying as a 3WR? Who do we have to cover these guys, Ike Taylor? He can play ok against one of them but not all game and not against both of them. Holmes against McFadden or Burris against McFadden is a nightmare for us. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I always believe the Steelers can win, but doesn't that sound horrible, McFadden covering one of these guys. I'm assuming Edwards will leave, but what if he doesn't. We don't play the Jets this year unless it's in the playoffs, but I can definetly see us against them in the playoffs. I'm not trying to rant or complain, it just doesn't sound good.

zsheik22
07-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Ill take being bored during the offseason and signings every year if we keep putting a good team on the field.

Leave this time for the browns fans to be excited.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM

ESPN is reporting Plax was changing flights in Los Angeles on his way to meet with the 49ers (so much for the theory winning another championship was a big factor for Burress)

Plax's agent said he already had told the Eagles he would sign if they met his # - the Jets said can we get the same deal - Plax said yes, Jets offered a guaranteed $3 million (and $17,000:noidea:) which Burress accepted.

This was all about the Benjamins - Steelers got played

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 11:58 AM
ESPN is reporting Plax was changing flights in Los Angeles on his way to meet with the 49ers (so much for the theory winning another championship was a big factor for Burress)

Plax's agent said he already had told the Eagles he would sign if they met his # - the Jets said can we get the same deal - Plax said yes, Jets offered a guaranteed $3 million (and $17,000:noidea:) which Burress accepted.

We were nothing but a pawn in his bag-o-tricks. Yes, you're right. We just got played worse than a woman in heat. Had no intentions on coming here.

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
I heard that he asked Mike Wallace for #17 and Wallace told him to go FCUK himself

priceless!!!!!

stb_steeler
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM

He may have played the Steelers but, he can go and be a cancer on the Jets!!!
Maybe he thought the Steelers were actually gonna give him more....Who's the one that really got played here? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Based on these comments Plax did not get any smarter during his 2 years in prison

Burress deal was “all about Rex”

So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.:banging:

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/buress-deal-was-all-about-rex/

Yeah - how could anyone possibly choose Roethlisberger over Sanchez?

At least one columnist thinks this is the Jets overpaying to win a New York media war with the Giants

But the Jets love attention, and they've been making alot of it on and off the field since Rex Ryan took over as head coach. That's why the signing of free-agent Plaxico Burress should come as no surprise. He's a big name, the Giants were interested in him and the Jets wanted to make a move at the wide-receiver position.

More important, they probably felt they had to make a splash after losing out with Nnamdi Asomugha. So they sign Burress, and say goodbye to Braylon Edwards. I don't know where he ends up, but it's safe to assume it won't be back with the Jets.

I know, Edwards must drop his price for anyone to be interested, but he's a more dangerous weapon than Burress. Burress, of course, is a sexier name, and the Jets opted for the guy who will get the attention ... and he will get it in stadium where the Giants play.

My question: Will he also get the passes? He turns 34 next month and missed the past two years of football while sitting in prison. More to the point, when you talk to personnel directors and GMs they tell you he was slipping in 2008, when we last saw him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/31011242

Can't say missing on Burress breaks my heart

Rick5895
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Well done Jets, now maybe you can go get another player to help screw the locker room up even more, go sign Tiki.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 03:24 PM
,Jets offered a guaranteed $3 million (and $17,000:noidea:)

This from ESPN

They threw in $17,000 because of his jersey number -- 17. How cute

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6821126/plaxico-burress-gives-new-york-jets-reality-show-wideout

This was a New York media event orchestrated by Burress and his agent - I am really surprised Tomlin & Colbert took the bait

xli...
07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

Nice

Kanata-Steeler
08-01-2011, 05:03 AM
except for the simple fact that Plax wore "80" wit da Steeler's, so I don't see his legitamate need for "17" ?
oh, unless of course this was meant to be sacastic on your part ?
:), ahh ok. whatever pfft.

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Another smackdown on the Jets signing Plax for $3 million guaranteed

The NFL's Madcap Free-Agent Frenzy Continues
By Bill Barnwell

Most Curious Move

The jilted Jets got on with life-after-Nnamdi by signing … Plaxico Burress. If you mourned the closing of El Bulli by going to your local Chili's, you can probably relate to what the Jets did. The only difference is that the Jets spent more than $3 million in guaranteed money to eat those fajitas.

It's unclear what the Jets see in him. After battling through a series of injuries during the 2007 playoffs, Burress was in the middle of a mediocre season with the Giants before his infamous accidental shooting. The Giants offense actually played better that season without him in the lineup, and Eli Manning promptly had his best season a year later, while the player often referred to as his "security blanket" was lined up in jail.

As a lanky receiver with great leaping ability and body control who drops a lot of passes, Burress profiles as a pretty straightforward replacement for Braylon Edwards at a cheaper price, but he will be 34 in two weeks and has a history of injuries and insubordination. It might be worth bringing him into camp on an unguaranteed contract, but unless he somehow got younger in prison, Burress should never see guaranteed money in a contract again.:chuckle:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6823583/nfl-madcap-free-agent-frenzy-continues