PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Sepulveda?

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Looks like Steelers have seen enough after 2 ACL tears

Earlier today, the Steelers announced they signed a second punter to their roster and appear to be ready to replace veteran Daniel Sepulveda, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Aaron Bates, who punted for Michigan State, became the 19th rookie free agent to sign a contract with the Steelers this week. He joins Jeremy Kapinos, who punted for the Steelers last season after an injury to Sepulveda, on their roster heading to training camp Thursday.

Sepulveda, a fourth-round draft choice in 2007, missed the final four games of the regular season and the entire post-season last year after his second torn ACL during his time with the Steelers and his third since 2006. He missed the entire 2008 season with the same injury. He also had a torn ACL in the spring of his final season at Baylor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11208/1163256-100.stm

Fortunately the Steelers will be dumping salary for 2012 to clear cap space, which will allow them to assemble a package of draft picks to trade up and draft a punter in the first round next year

55BaileyFan
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
No, this is camp fodder. I think that Sepulveda is a much better punter...now if he has another knee injury then he will most likely be done.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
No, this is camp fodder. I think that Sepulveda is a much better punter...now if he has another knee injury then he will most likely be done.

So it is that fourth career ACL tear that is the point of no return for a punter?

55BaileyFan
07-27-2011, 05:21 PM
So it is that fourth career ACL tear that is the point of no return for a punter?

Sepulved has only had two ACL injuries. The first wasn't a tear, a medical exam revealed that it wasn't there...a tear in college went untreated and they decided to fix it and then last year was the second.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Sepulved has only had two ACL injuries. The first wasn't a tear, a medical exam revealed that it wasn't there...a tear in college went untreated and they decided to fix it and then last year was the second.

OK - there certainly are a lot of reports, including today's P-G, that note 3 tears

IMO if he injured the knee in college, missed all of 2008 with a knee problem (for the tear that wasn't there?), and then injured the same knee again last season the Steelers have seen enough from someone who is a FA

:drink:

pancake
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
They wouldn't save much by cutting him. At least I would think so.

steeltheone
07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
although not a bust, definately he was not as I expected.

CrunkJeezy
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
It sucks to see but this is the most told but under sold story of the nfl. Good guys with potential and the careers get ended quickly because of injury. Hope Sepulveda the best.

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
The guy tears his ACL's yawning.

Man, this is a shame. I believe this is the end of DS. Such high hopes for him. Fact of the matter is, is that we qualified for the Super Bowl in both '08 again in '10 without Sup punting. That tells you right there that we can win with a punter that doesn't have the booming leg Danny S did. We will atleast save some cash in releasing him rather than going through a middle of the season scrambling to sign a punter when he tears it for a 3rd time. He leaves us with no choice.

Kingmagyar
07-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Josh Miller has mentioned on radio that he notices a mechanic in Daniel Sepulveda's kicking that is prone to ligament damage in the knee. It's a shame too because I thought last year he was finally making big strides. His average was over 45 ypp.

The new guy Aaron Bates averaged that his final year in college and Kapinos is around 43 ypp. Hang Time and accuracy are everything though.

Ed Bouchette said after drafting Sepulveda in the 4th round in 07 that he thought you could get a punter anywhere after the draft. Considering players like Doug Free OT Dallas, and Le'Ron McClaine were drafted in that round as well Ed may have a point. .

Fire Haley
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Earlier today, the Steelers announced they signed a second punter to their roster

Upon hearing this, Sepulvada tripped over his laptop cord and grabbed his knee

SteelReich
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I liked sepulveda too. Well theres only one way to fix that situation... don't get into 4th down situations. haha