PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will release veteran G Starks

Farrior_roirraW
07-27-2011, 10:33 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers are set to release veteran guard Max Starks, according to league sources.

Starks, who has spent his seven-year career in Pittsburgh where he started 68 games, played in just seven games last season after being put on injured reserve with a neck injury.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/27/steelers-will-release-veteran-g-starks/

What does everybody think about this? I got to say it's kind of a surprise (if true)...

(EDIT: And yes it should say T but I copy pasta the title from La Confora.)

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Starks is a left tackle.:hatsoff:

Anyway, I might as well put this here:

Max Starks to be released. Wasn't expecting Starks to be the one. Neck injuries aren't one to F with. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

That OR Flozell will go back to his old position he had with Dallas and take over left tackle for Starks while Gilbert and Colon battle it out on the right side of the line.

Farrior_roirraW
07-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Starks is a left tackle.:hatsoff:

Anyway, I might as well put this here:

Max Starks to be released. Wasn't expecting Starks to be the one. Neck injuries aren't one to F with. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

That OR Flozell will go back to his old position he had with Dallas and take over left tackle for Starks while Gilbert and Colon battle it out on the right side of the line.

Haha, yeah I know, but I did not realize it said guard rather than tackle or else I would have changed it.

But, anyways, it should be interesting now what they do with Adams/Gilbert/Colon (it looks as if he is without a doubt back, especially now). I don't see Gilbert starting but anything to fix the line, I guess. :sofunny:

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Haha, yeah I know, but I did not realize it said guard rather than tackle or else I would have changed it.

But, anyways, it should be interesting now what they do with Adams/Gilbert/Colon (it looks as if he is without a doubt back, especially now). I don't see Gilbert starting but anything to fix the line, I guess. :sofunny:

Seems like Flozell is the type to where he would restructure. He has his money and he stated last year that he's in it for a ring. This is more than likely his last season so I'm sure he will do anything to help the team.

Another thing is that the Steelers seem to be reaching out to Colon after all this time. Something is probably being worked out to keep both of them while Gilbert will be groomed. Either Flozel restructures, or he is gone, which free's up a TONNNN of cap space.

I believe we'll sign Colon either way.

SteelCurtain5643
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I just read that Starks is pushing 400 lbs after sitting around recovering from his neck injury, thats insane. They said the steelers could bring him back later if he gets himself in shape

StainlessStill
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I just read that Starks is pushing 400 lbs after sitting around recovering from his neck injury, thats insane. They said the steelers could bring him back later if he gets himself in shape

:surprise:

JCPsteelers
07-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I might get ripped but I kind of like J. Scott at LT. I thought he played well there in the playoffs.

jjpro11
07-28-2011, 02:26 AM
ugh.. i understand the Steelers probably didn't have much of a choice with his weight issues, but the tackle position is now really scary for us. Willie Colon is coming off a serious knee injury. Flozell Adams is near retirement and had his own injury issues last year. Starks would have been coming off his own serious injury, but that would have been one more line of depth. behind Colon and Adams, now all we have is Scott, who was terrible, and a rookie who has never even practiced yet with the Steelers. yikes!

Kingmagyar
07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Actually we don't even have Scott who is a Free Agent.

I saw video of Starks at the Super Bowl and he looked HUGE! The very first thing I thought was this guy better get in shape or he is gone.

Flozell was injured a lot last year but never missed a game.

Marcus Gilbert was drafted to be a Left Tackle. Do the Steelers believe like his once Florida teammate Pouncey that he can start right away?

It appears if Colon accepts a multi year contract now being offered. He will be back to play right tackle with Flozell released and Gilbert and a re-signed Jonathan Scott competing for the Left Tackle position.

Kemo and Pouncey in the middle will be joined by any number of guards on the roster right now like Ramon Foster or Doug Legursky who handled NT BJ Rajii very well in the superbowl.

Another scenario is to re-sign Starks for a fraction of what he is due.

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Starks leaving creates the same problem at tackle that would have been created at CB if Taylor had not been resigned - someone will play the positon but are thye any good?

This also may be salary cap driven

This gives Colon more leverage on negotiating a deal and for Flozell Adams to refuse to take a big haircut on his contract.

A mediocre OL gets even worse - at some point this blows up on the Steelers

steelerchad
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
I wonder if anyone will touch a 400lb Starks when he is just average when in shape anyway. If he doesn't get picked up maybe the Steelers get him back for a lot less money and he can work himself into shape.

Fire Haley
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I'd take Flo back.

But ideally, we'd need to re-sign both RT and LT - Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott (who did pretty good in the playoffs)

Run Ben Run

SteelReich
07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
starks sucked anyways. he only seemed ok cuz he was compared to a subpar o-line. he was definitely not worth the money. every year we have a rookie step up.. may gilbert can do it. I think he can be pretty decent with some experience. he cant do any worse against suggs than starks.

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm guessing they move Flo to left tackle. He's actually cheap for that position with his current pay and he could teach Gilbert the ropes. I wouldn't resign Colon ... he was average at best and I doubt he will reach that after blowing an Achilles. I didn't care much for Scott, but maybe he's a better RT than a LT ... he seem a little slow getting off the line on the left (an old Jason Taylor made him look slow on a critical play).

SteelReich
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing they move Flo to left tackle. He's actually cheap for that position with his current pay and he could teach Gilbert the ropes. I wouldn't resign Colon ... he was average at best and I doubt he will reach that after blowing an Achilles. I didn't care much for Scott, but maybe he's a better RT than a LT ... he seem a little slow getting off the line on the left (an old Jason Taylor made him look slow on a critical play).

agreed. im not high on colon either. like starks, he only seems ok cuz he's always been compared to sub par players. we did well without him last year. ... but with starks being cut, i do think we might have to keep him. we sorta backed ourselves into a corner on this one. i'll hope for a break out year? haha

thumper
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Starks leaving creates the same problem at tackle that would have been created at CB if Taylor had not been resigned - someone will play the positon but are thye any good?

This also may be salary cap driven

This gives Colon more leverage on negotiating a deal and for Flozell Adams to refuse to take a big haircut on his contract.

A mediocre OL gets even worse - at some point this blows up on the Steelers

We don't know the whole plan, who will re-signed and re-structured.
I am not going to assume this make the OL worse. If anything, they
were actually playing pretty well down the stretch last year - to my
surprise. Lets see what else unfolds. We have no idea who might
be coming back, etc. If we get some bodies back and they get
clicking we could be fine with the OL, which is something I can't
really say about the last 5 years other than late last season.

kirklandrules
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
i'll hope for a break out year? haha

That is pretty funny. 7 years and an Achilles later and Willie suddenly hits his stride? :crutches:

DanRooney
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I might get ripped but I kind of like J. Scott at LT. I thought he played well there in the playoffs.

Must have been the playoff game where Suggs mauled him piling up 3 sacks that gave you a boner.

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Well now the rumor is Starks may be brought back:noidea:

Max Starks, released by the Steelers earlier today to help create salary cap room, could be re-signed by them before the end of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163580-100.stm

stb_steeler
07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Well now the rumor is Starks may be brought back:noidea:

Max Starks, released by the Steelers earlier today to help create salary cap room, could be re-signed by them before the end of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163580-100.stm

I wonder what condition other than his weight is really a factor. After a neck injury, you would think they dont want to chance on keeping him. I like Max and all but, at times he was like a tree stump on the field some times...

SteelReich
07-28-2011, 05:47 PM
That is pretty funny. 7 years and an Achilles later and Willie suddenly hits his stride? :crutches:

7 years? not 7. 5 at the most i think. wasnt he drafted in 06? hes only played in like 50 games. I think he had more left than Flozell

Fire Haley
07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Must have been the playoff game where Suggs mauled him piling up 3 sacks that gave you a boner.

So he plays just like Starks...who couldn't stop Suggs if his life depended on it.