PDA

View Full Version : Steelers lack of free agency

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Let me first preface what I'm about to say with I know I will sound like an ungrateful fan. And how I can I complain when we are consistently a competitive team? But, it just seems to me that we never sign ANY big name free agents. We've needed corner help for years and the best we do is resign McFadden. We did nothing about it. Plax would have made our passing game better IMO, and he simply goes to the Jets. The Steelers just never seem to utilize the free agent market. I don't get it.

55BaileyFan
07-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Plax wouldn't have been a big boost as people think because we don't have a lot of jump ball plays and who the hell cares about him. He left on his own so stay away...I am glad they didn't sign him.

I was just at camp yesterday and some of the drafted and undrafted rookies were really impressive. I think that there are some real talented guys. Sweed and (undrafted rookie) Eric Greenwood really had some great catches both are big guys (Greenwood is 6'7) and Eric stayed after practice with Tomlin and the QBs. There are some really good guys and I think we will see some rookies make the roster to develop.

skinart82
07-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I would rather them give the time to someone they can develope and keep around for a number of years, instead of a guy that at best would be around for a couple of years. Plex will not be the talent everybody wanted to put the money up for.

skinart82
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM
But I do agree, I would like to see at least a little excitement during FA!

BigBen2WardPITT
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
i just wanted them to get some o-linemen, because that will really hinder our team this year. CBs, yea, we've always had issues, but our front 7 usually do so well it doesn't matter as much. Plus Troy pics up on the CBs slack.

But yea one CB and well, a lot of o-line would have been ideal to me.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
But, it just seems to me that we never sign ANY big name free agents

It doesn't seem that way. It's the way it is.

We've needed corner help for years and the best we do is resign McFadden. We did nothing about it.

Yes we did. Like you said in your VERY FIRST SENTENCE we went out and got McFadden, who was a Steelers winning Super Bowl corner here before, for a late draft pick from Arizona. Not only that, but years ago we got Czedon (sp) Butler and Keenan Lewis as potential replacements for the future. This years draft we went out AGAIN and picked 2 potential future CB's back to back: Curtis Brown & Cortez Allen.

Not only that, but we signed our own personal All-Pro in Ike Taylor. You're overreacting.

Remember now, the Pittsburgh Steelers are built from the inside out. We come up with schematic zone blitz's that get after the quarterback. When was our last Hall of Fame, shutdown corner at CB? Rod Woodson so we proved we can win without shutdown corners as long as we are manageable with collapsing the pocket around the QB.

We are about to lock up LaMarr Woodley long-term, something that HELPS our cornerback situation with applying pressure long-term on our outside rush. Got to pay attention to the whole team landscape before you go off and claim we never do anything because we DO, and we do it well.

LVSteelersfan
07-31-2011, 12:56 PM
CB was addressed big time this year in the draft and we got Butler last year. Keenan Lewis was picked up a few years ago. Although he wasn't the answer, it is not like they are not trying to fill in those spots. Free agency is expensive and eats up the salary cap. The Steelers don't work that way. Build from the draft and pick up an affordable free agent now and then. That is all you are ever going to see from them. And it seems to be working with 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years. Steeler fans who have been following the team forever understand this and have learned to live with it due to the success of the formula. Philadelphia spent a fortune in free agency this year. It doesn't mean squat.They could easily fall flat on their face due to no chemistry.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
But I do agree, I would like to see at least a little excitement during FA!

I prefer excitement in January :drink:

Steelers have been competitive for most of the period since Cowher arrived in 1992 and have had the best run of any team in the league since 2005 by signing their own and knowing when to let their own go

If you want them to let Timmons and Woodley go that will free up money for FA signings and after an exciting FA period we can spend January watching hockey

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
next post

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2011, 01:14 PM
CB was addressed big time this year in the draft and we got Butler last year. Keenan Lewis was picked up a few years ago. Although he wasn't the answer, it is not like they are not trying to fill in those spots. Free agency is expensive and eats up the salary cap. The Steelers don't work that way. Build from the draft and pick up an affordable free agent now and then. That is all you are ever going to see from them. And it seems to be working with 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years. Steeler fans who have been following the team forever understand this and have learned to live with it due to the success of the formula. Philadelphia spent a fortune in free agency this year. It doesn't mean squat.They could easily fall flat on their face due to no chemistry.

Apparently you missed the first part of my post.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Apparently you missed the first part of my post.

I did not miss it - the Steelers try to be competitive every season rather than load up for hot run at the tables

i am just wondering how you would propose the Steelers find $$ to sign FAs given the contracts for such players as A. Smith, Hampton, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, and Harrison with the knowledge Woodley and Timmons are stepping up to the plate

It is a veteran team and veterans cost more against the cap - who should get dumped to pay Burress his $3 million?:drink:

solardave
07-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Let me first preface what I'm about to say with I know I will sound like an ungrateful fan. And how I can I complain when we are consistently a competitive team? But, it just seems to me that we never sign ANY big name free agents. We've needed corner help for years and the best we do is resign McFadden. We did nothing about it. Plax would have made our passing game better IMO, and he simply goes to the Jets. The Steelers just never seem to utilize the free agent market. I don't get it.

Well,
Let's take a look at the J-E-T-S. They signed Holmes and now Plax. They won't make it to the SB this year either. The truth is we didn't need Holmes and we don't need Plax. I have a hard time arguing your point about McFadden or Gay for that matter. Just draft a marquee CB. That's it.

tanda10506
07-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes we did. Like you said in your VERY FIRST SENTENCE we went out and got McFadden, who was a Steelers winning Super Bowl corner here before, for a late draft pick from Arizona. Not only that, but years ago we got Czedon (sp) Butler and Keenan Lewis as potential replacements for the future. This years draft we went out AGAIN and picked 2 potential future CB's back to back: Curtis Brown & Cortez Allen.

Not only that, but we signed our own personal All-Pro in Ike Taylor. You're overreacting.

Remember now, the Pittsburgh Steelers are built from the inside out. We come up with schematic zone blitz's that get after the quarterback. When was our last Hall of Fame, shutdown corner at CB? Rod Woodson so we proved we can win without shutdown corners as long as we are manageable with collapsing the pocket around the QB.

We are about to lock up LaMarr Woodley long-term, something that HELPS our cornerback situation with applying pressure long-term on our outside rush. Got to pay attention to the whole team landscape before you go off and claim we never do anything because we DO, and we do it well.

I agree that the FO does a great job and I like how our players are made in Pittsburgh and when they perform we keep them. I'm glad we got Ike back. But McFadden is absolutely horrible. Getting the pressure on the QB with Woodley, Harrison, etc. is a tremendous help to the corners as you said. But lately quick release teams burn us: Packers, Saints, and for a few years now the Patriots. I know it sounds like a weak argument on my behalf, saying we need to sign a corner just for if we play a team like that, also I know that we can beat the Patriots if we get much better pressure then we did last year. But Brady releases quick, so does Rodgers, and we could be playing either one of those teams in playoffs or SB and I would be much happier if instead of hoping the front 7 get more pressure then they did the last time they played those two teams, we had a big name corner on there best receiver allowing Ike to cover there #2 receiver. I know we draft DB's, but they rarely turn out good and almost never turn out great. That's my opinion on CB. As for the O line, it needs help. We drafted for it last year and in my opinion it was one of the better draft choices we've made recently, Pouncey is great. We also drafted this year and it would be nice to see Gilbert play just somewhat close to Pouncey's level. Reality is our O line has not been good for a long time though, and Pouncey is the only one who we know will play great this year. We need help with the O line NOW.

TRH
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
anyone else sick of hearing about Keenan Lewis being available "for the future".

fer522
07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
anyone else sick of hearing about Keenan Lewis being available "for the future".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 03:04 PM

With ALL due respect and I don't mean to sound like a d!ck but I'm glad people like you aren't running our franchise. No patience whatsoever. Other than receiver, cornerback is one of the most demanding aspects of position that is most difficult to translate from college to the pros. These guys are so damn young. Even look at Ryan Mundy. Prospects.

Give these kids a chance for Christ's sake to develop. It's good to have the Ike Taylors', Ryan Clarks' and Troy Polamalus' to learn from.

Rick5895
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM

:thumbsup:

Well said.

Kingmagyar
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
The Fact is we did need Santonio Holmes. if Santonio Holmes was on the team last year we win the Super Bowl. On that last drive of the game Mike Wallace had no idea what routes he was running. Holmes isn't worth the 10 million he received this year but last year we could have used him. We win that Super Bowl if Holmes is on the roster. We lost by 6 points without him.

We also may have won that super bowl with another good corner on the team. Someone who gets interceptions. So the Steelers do win without a shutdown corner, but we just don't win the Super Bowl against a team like Green Bay.

Everyone needs shutdown corners. Philadelphia is in great shape with the three all pro's they have. The Jets would have been impossible with Namdi and Revis. Impossible. I was hoping they did not land him. This is just the wrong year to not have money to spend on the good to great talent that is out there.

LVSteelersfan
07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
We are over the salary cap. Plain and simple. There is no money to spend on big time free agents. Period. Woodley and Timmons getting signed are of utmost importance. This is a great team with great prospects. As long as Lebeau is in charge, the Steelers will never sign a shut down CB. How many shut down CBs do you all think are actually out there? A handful at best. They are hard to find.

Lord of Lombardi
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
who cares? Really, if you have followed this team for any amount of time you should realize by now this is how we do it in Pittsburgh. I find it humorous that the era of social media has burned the I-phone screen into many eyes and as Myron would put it (CRANIUM) of our fans. Maybe some of you want to go out and buy the "how to build a team" hand book authored by Daniel Snyder a.k.a. Dumbass! I don't want any of these big named free agents and you shouldn't either. Understand the risk, the chemistry experiment , the entitlement that comes along with keeping them happy. For other teams that have no idea how it's done, let them bring in FA after FA. I'll stick with what has been successful for decades. Philly can draft one free agent per day until the season starts, we'll still be the only team in PA with a (see my name)
Fellow Fans, relax and let all the chaos from this year iron out. Sit back and watch most of the NFL teams scramble and try to make sense of it all. I am damn happy that we can count on our Stillers to do the same thing as we do year in and year out. There is a reason we have won two superbowls in the past 6 years and it is not because of free agency.

Pay attention people.

thumper
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
We are over the salary cap. Plain and simple. There is no money to spend on big time free agents. Period. Woodley and Timmons getting signed are of utmost importance. This is a great team with great prospects. As long as Lebeau is in charge, the Steelers will never sign a shut down CB. How many shut down CBs do you all think are actually out there? A handful at best. They are hard to find.

Anything BUT plain and simple. Moves could easily be made to
find the cap room, but the Rooneys like having no cap room to
be their excuse for not spending more $. That has always been
the case. How do you think the Jets can find the space to spend
all this $ but Pgh can't? Both NY and Philly have been contenders
the last few years and yet some how they have massive cap space
and can sign a bevy of star players. We may not be able to get a "shutdown"
CB, but do you think, maybe, just maybe, we could do better than Gay,
B-Mac and Lewis? Just maybe?

thumper
08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
who cares? Really, if you have followed this team for any amount of time you should realize by now this is how we do it in Pittsburgh. I find it humorous that the era of social media has burned the I-phone screen into many eyes and as Myron would put it (CRANIUM) of our fans. Maybe some of you want to go out and buy the "how to build a team" hand book authored by Daniel Snyder a.k.a. Dumbass! I don't want any of these big named free agents and you shouldn't either. Understand the risk, the chemistry experiment , the entitlement that comes along with keeping them happy. For other teams that have no idea how it's done, let them bring in FA after FA. I'll stick with what has been successful for decades. Philly can draft one free agent per day until the season starts, we'll still be the only team in PA with a (see my name)
Fellow Fans, relax and let all the chaos from this year iron out. Sit back and watch most of the NFL teams scramble and try to make sense of it all. I am damn happy that we can count on our Stillers to do the same thing as we do year in and year out. There is a reason we have won two superbowls in the past 6 years and it is not because of free agency.

These are NOT mutually exclusive topics. Just because Danny Snyder
makes foolish free agent signings does NOT mean that Pgh's lack
of almost any FA additions is the premium manner in which to mng
towards a SB. That is not logical. You act as if one point invalidates the
notion of the other. That is not logical thinking.

I do not feel the moves by Philly or NY are the same type of bad moves
made my Snyder. And if Philly or NY goes further than Pgh this year,
you might have to realize your thought model is of single plane in nature.
Pay attention people.

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
The Fact is we did need Santonio Holmes. if Santonio Holmes was on the team last year we win the Super Bowl. On that last drive of the game Mike Wallace had no idea what routes he was running. Holmes isn't worth the 10 million he received this year but last year we could have used him. We win that Super Bowl if Holmes is on the roster. We lost by 6 points without him..

You can pick apart any series as having cost the season

If Holmes makes the team then Antonio Brown probably does not and is not available to catche the third and 22 pass in the Ravens playoff game that sets up the winning TD - the Ravens get the ball back with 2 minutes to go and there may have been no Super Bowl you blame Wallace for screwing up

And if the great Santonio Holmes does not drop a TD pass in the 2009 Bears game followed by running the wrong route the next week in Cincy which causes a pick six then the Steelers probably make the 2009 playoffs

Holmes was out of control after the Arizona SB win and the Steelers had seen enough - hard to say what Holmes would have brought to the Steelers in 2010
:drink:

tony hipchest
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
ive already forgotten who our "big splash" free agency names were in 2005, 2008, and 2010.

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
ive already forgotten who our "big splash" free agency names were in 2005, 2008, and 2010.

2005 - long snapper Greg Warren

2008 - Keyaron Fox

2010 - Randel-El and Arnaz Battle

Hard to see how the Steelers make the playoffs without those crucial pick-ups for those seasons :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
now see dan, you're forgetting about cedric wilson...

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:tt02:

Sixburgher
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Just because Danny Snyder
towards a SB.

The last six years or so kind of indicates otherwise, but I'm sure you'll respond to this with some condescending bullshit like you always do, so just never mind.

ricardisimo
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
As I just pointed out in another thread: name the last team that bought itself a championship.

steeltheone
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
The Fact is we did need Santonio Holmes. if Santonio Holmes was on the team last year we win the Super Bowl. On that last drive of the game Mike Wallace had no idea what routes he was running. Holmes isn't worth the 10 million he received this year but last year we could have used him. We win that Super Bowl if Holmes is on the roster. We lost by 6 points without him.

Very true!

ricardisimo
08-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Very true!
Huh? Your brain works in an odd fashion, truly. How can you call that sort of idle speculation and wishful thinking "fact" and "very true"? That's just weird. Can you guarantee that Holmes was going to recover Mendenhall's fumble? Was he going to break up Roethlisberger's INTs? Was he going to play DB for our defense and actually stop Rodgers?

Besides, we were not lacking in offensive production; we actually out-produced them, 387-338. What we needed was a defensive secondary. Fact. Very true.

MasterOfPuppets
08-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Huh? Your brain works in an odd fashion, truly. How can you call that sort of idle speculation and wishful thinking "fact" and "very true"? That's just weird. Can you guarantee that Holmes was going to recover Mendenhall's fumble? Was he going to break up Roethlisberger's INTs? Was he going to play DB for our defense and actually stop Rodgers?

Besides, we were not lacking in offensive production; we actually out-produced them, 387-338. What we needed was a defensive secondary. Fact. Very true.
must you always play devil's advocate ??? :rolleyes: ... dude already stated it as FACT , so just accept it and move on ...you can't dispute facts man.....:popcorn:

ricardisimo
08-02-2011, 02:43 AM
True enough. I'm desperate for attention and it's starting to show.

steeltheone
08-02-2011, 04:17 AM
I was agreeing with the fact that our recievers were nothing great last year as a whole....I believe the talent is there and will come just nothing great yet...Wallace is close!

A gunslinger QB will make any average wideout or youngster look better.

DanRooney
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM
I was agreeing with the fact that our recievers were nothing great last year as a whole....I believe the talent is there and will come just nothing great yet...Wallace is close!

A gunslinger QB will make any average wideout or youngster look better.

Wallace is a stud already.

Sanders has a lot of hype around him but I honestly think Brown is the better player. Every time he gets an opportunity he seems to make the most of it. I've noticed Sanders has a bad habit for diving for catches when he doesn't have to. He needs to stop embellishing to look good and start working on gaining extra yards after the catch.

DanRooney
08-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Very true!

I wouldn't blame anything on Wallace. He was targeted nearly 20 times in that game. Ward had a touchdown grab but was pretty much a non-factor (as usual) for the entire game. Heath Miller wasn't used. Antonio Brown was on the bench in favor of Randle El, who had a surprisingly good 2nd half.

MasterOfPuppets
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
True enough. I'm desperate for attention and it's starting to show.
http://www.funny-games.biz/images/pictures/39-attention2.jpg

Lord of Lombardi
08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
These are NOT mutually exclusive topics. Just because Danny Snyder
towards a SB. That is not logical. You act as if one point invalidates the
notion of the other. That is not logical thinking.

I do not feel the moves by Philly or NY are the same type of bad moves
made my Snyder. And if Philly or NY goes further than Pgh this year,
you might have to realize your thought model is of single plane in nature.
Pay attention people.

Bonehead....Throw us your smoke screens all you want, Let me speak slowly and spell it out for you. They are mutually exclusive topics. Lack of FA additions was the topic and my D. Snyder analogy was to prove to this fan that signing free agents does not guarantee success. Much like you can always post a reply, you just might not sound as intelligent as the BS that you spew. Not logical? Listen to yourself Dr. Spock. If we prove to make suberbowl run after superbowl run without historical trends of adding free agents and that theory breeds success, (2 Lombardi trophies) then how is that not logical? I guess if you are of a Cincinnati Bengal mentality then I would agree with you. We build from within, grow talent and if you don't like the fact that we do it without big named FA's then change your "Logic", get off the ride, or deal with it.

You have no idea how the Philly / Jets signings will work out and D Snyder thought Haynesworth was the deal, Randel El was the deal, Jeff George back in 2000. And I just bet that you want Holmes and Burress as your WR's right? You willing to bet neither one will have issues this year? San-Tokeo? Stick to primary colors Humper and pay attention.

MasterOfPuppets
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Wild Bill: Hello Ed, In your opinion, have the Steelers overpaid at any particular positions, that they seem so hamstrung in adding free agents compared to other teams?
Ed Bouchette: Assuming you've been reading me for a few years, you should know that merely signing free agents means little. The kings of it are Washington and they don't even sniff the playoffs, never mind a championship. What is it with some of you that if a team doesn't sign a free agent, you think they can't compete. When you have put together a team that's 2-1 in the past six Super Bowls, you must be doing something right.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/111036-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-8211

:chuckle:

Rick5895
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/111036-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-8211

:chuckle:

:thumbsup:

thumper
08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Do you realize who Pgh has signed?

Colon - below average.
Moore - Offered no production last year. Almost nothing. No big plays at all.
Ike - desperately had to.
Scott - wouldn't even make most teams' roster.
Gay - purely a dime back. FAIL at regular CB for sure.
Dixon - FAIL last year as QB. Actually declined from his rookie year.

Seriously. That's what they've done so far. Mean while, the OL is in shambles.
Cut both starting OTs, Kemo's knee is toast and Colon coming off torn Achille's.
We might just be in a little trouble there. Pouncy is the only solid, healthy starter
out of 5 positions. 1 out of 5 and every other spot is a big ? MARK. Welcome to
a very poor start to the season.

Trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfQycD2mVA

finesward
08-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Colon - below average.

Cut both starting OTs, Kemo's knee is toast and Colon coming off torn Achille's.
We might just be in a little trouble there. Pouncy is the only solid, healthy starter

Trick.

yeah we get it...the sky is falling

:blah:

Lord of Lombardi
08-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Colon - below average.

Trick.

That would concern me if it wasn't coming from an Eagles fan. And didn't you use that excuse about Ben being out 4 games last year? How'd that work out for ya Mr. Logic? There's only one team in PA worth a damn. Sooner you realize that, sooner you become intelligent.

steelbad@50
08-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Agree with everything you posted, which could be easily summed up in a few words.We don't buy NFL stars we make NFL stars. GO STEELERS!!!!!:tt04:

Rick5895
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Agree with everything you posted, which could be easily summed up in a few words.We don't buy NFL stars we make NFL stars. GO STEELERS!!!!!:tt04:
Well said !
:drink:

ricksteelers55
08-07-2011, 01:22 AM
I think that the best FA signings you can make are the ones ''in house''.I'd rather sign no big name free agents and re-sign all of our players like we do than letting go guys like Woodley and Taylor and signings Asomugha and Burress

thumper
08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
That would concern me if it wasn't coming from an Eagles fan.

Odd insertion. Are you taking any medication?

And didn't you use that excuse about Ben being out 4 games last year? How'd that work out for ya Mr. Logic?

I asserted nothing of the sort. Are you suffering from mental illness?

There's only one team in PA worth a damn. Sooner you realize that, sooner you become intelligent.

And the sooner you become delusional. Oh wait, you are already there.
How many teeth do you have left?

Steelboy84
08-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I've been hearing that Cotchery is taking a physical with us.

thumper
08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Bonehead....Throw us your smoke screens all you want, Let me speak slowly and spell it out for you. They are mutually exclusive topics. Lack of FA additions was the topic and my D. Snyder analogy was to prove to this fan that signing free agents does not guarantee success.

So you made a straw man argument. Congratulations.

Much like you can always post a reply, you just might not sound as intelligent as the BS that you spew.

Are you speaking in Yoda?

Not logical? Listen to yourself Dr. Spock. If we prove to make suberbowl run after superbowl run without historical trends of adding free agents and that theory breeds success, (2 Lombardi trophies) then how is that not logical?

Again, not mutually exclusive. One does not discount the other. Just
b/c we had 3 SB runs does not negate that ANY free agent signing might
be helpful. But you will resort to the extreme Redskins example when
no one was ever asserting to replicate their model. No one. But all the
zips come out and repeat that, ad nauseam, when no one ever asserted
it to begin with.

I guess if you are of a Cincinnati Bengal mentality then I would agree with you. We build from within, grow talent and if you don't like the fact that we do it without big named FA's then change your "Logic", get off the ride, or deal with it.

How about, "no?" I don't have to "deal with" anything. I can accurately
detail that being overly cheap is not the wisest way to go.

You have no idea how the Philly / Jets signings will work out and D Snyder thought Haynesworth was the deal, Randel El was the deal, Jeff George back in 2000. And I just bet that you want Holmes and Burress as your WR's right? You willing to bet neither one will have issues this year? San-Tokeo? Stick to primary colors Humper and pay attention.

Thanks for another straw man, so off the mark, that you have wobbled
over into a non sequitur. You can sign some free agents without replicating
what Snyder has done. You think it's a black and white issue, due from
operating from the vantage point of a very base thinking pattern.

Steelersfan87
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
This year would have been a bad year to go after a starting caliber free agent cornerback. There would have been too much to learn with no offseason and whoever was thrown into that fire of the zone blitz would have been thinking instead of reacting and causing mistakes most likely. Let's also not forget the new defensive backs coach. That's why they re-signed Gay. That's also why they re-signed Gay to a one year contract only. Gay will be lucky to even be the nickel back by the end of the season, and lucky to even be on the team next season. But he knows the system well and performs on special teams. Plus a Johnathan Joseph or a Richard Marshall would have been out of the reasonable price range.

Lord of Lombardi
08-07-2011, 08:35 PM
So you made a straw man argument. Congratulations.

Are you speaking in Yoda?

Again, not mutually exclusive. One does not discount the other. Just
b/c we had 3 SB runs does not negate that ANY free agent signing might
be helpful. But you will resort to the extreme Redskins example when
no one was ever asserting to replicate their model. No one. But all the
zips come out and repeat that, ad nauseam, when no one ever asserted
it to begin with.

Thanks for another straw man, so off the mark, that you have wobbled
over into a non sequitur. You can sign some free agents without replicating
what Snyder has done. You think it's a black and white issue, due from
operating from the vantage point of a very base thinking pattern.

coo coo coo coo...... That clock stopped working long ago.

ricardisimo
08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Firstly, the Steelers aren't cheap. They are regularly right up against the cap. Secondly, the Green Bay Packers really are cheap year after year, and yet here we are, with them the reigning champs.

Again, it's pretty clear that making big free agent splashes is not the way to win in this league. The closest I can come to a counterexample is New Orleans signing Drew Brees. Yet even that doesn't really fit, given that it took four more years of respectable drafting and installing Payton's system before they won it all.

Name a another example, please. Give us an example of a team that succeeds by bringing in outside talent.

Sixburgher
01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Anything BUT plain and simple. Moves could easily be made to
find the cap room, but the Rooneys like having no cap room to
be their excuse for not spending more $. That has always been
the case. How do you think the Jets can find the space to spend
all this $ but Pgh can't? Both NY and Philly have been contenders
the last few years and yet some how they have massive cap space
and can sign a bevy of star players. We may not be able to get a "shutdown"
CB, but do you think, maybe, just maybe, we could do better than Gay,
B-Mac and Lewis? Just maybe?

Hope the Jets and Eagles enjoy watching us on teevee in the playoffs. LOL

steeltheone
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
You can make many more mistakes drafting, fa signings and overpaid vets when you have a franchise QB.

finesward
01-02-2012, 12:56 AM
lol i forgot about this thread...ahh the ol' dumper days :blah: we've heard it from others on here too no doubt. front office is stupid, they practically gave away holmes for nothing. Ummmmm anyone else seeing the wisdom in that move after just 2 seasons with another team he pretty much quit in the 4th quarter with the game and possible playoffs on the line. And with plaxico...lolololololololol

REC

YDS

AVG

TDS

Antonio Brown
REC

YDS

AVG

TDS

Not to mention over 1k return yards

steeltheone
01-02-2012, 02:16 AM
I think the only mistake we have made fa wise is not signing an established OL.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
I think the only mistake we have made fa wise is not signing an established OL.

This^

LayingTheWoodley56
01-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Plax would have made our passing game better? Really? I live in New York, and Jets fans all say that hes sucked this season. We have three good, young recievers that we should be developing, not burying on the depth chart behind a 34-year-old guy who we had here once, who left voluntarily and has been in prison for the last two seasons. Sorry, but not buying it.

As for the free agency thing, I've said somewhat the same opinion before but our organizational philosophy is drafting and developing, which we do better than anybody in order to fit players into our defined system. In my opinion, it is far and away the best way to run a football team, and the recent results (8 playoff appearances in 11 seasons, 3 AFC titles, appearances in two more AFC championship games, a hell of a lot of football games won) bares that out. As you said, how can we complain?

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
We tried to sign Palx, he wanted a 1 year deal, we wanted a 2 year deal. I dont think the steelers wanted to be used for a year to get a big contrcat elsewhere. As he was a little unknown coming out from dating Bubba for a couple years.

You can ask Plax how he feels now? After a year of playing with a bottom 5 QB in the league with no heart. I would still consider him next year as I dont think Sanders is going to be an option with his injuries. We need another big time WR.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Layingthe woodley:

Jets think everyone on that team sucks, lol.

Once he got the unorthodox timeing of Sanchez down a bit. When I say that, I mean not having a clue which shoulder the ball is going too, going in front, or behind, over your head or to the ground. Basically playing with a QB who sucks, lol.

I watched enough Jets games with my buddy, and Plax didn't do a bad job considering the QB blows there.

NY fans are blindly by stupidity, and wouldn't know talent from a garbage man.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
You're right, he didn't do an awful job but still, we didn't need to go down that road coming into the season hoping for big things from Sanders and Brown (and getting them from #84.) I think its hilarious watching all of my friends who are Jets fans - and I have many - constantly moaning and griping about their pathetic franchise. I will have to vehemently disagree with you on one thing, however. Sanchez is not lacking in heart whatsoever, he's a very hard worker and he cares a lot. You can tell that if you live in New York. His problem is plain and simple - he's just not that good.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
We are going to disagree again there on Sanchez, lol Although we agree on him being just not that good, lol

After each INT he went to the bench, sat down, arms spread out on the bench railings, either one or 2. 2 of the int's he was smiling and chatting soon after. 3rd of course he was thinking about just how mcuh he was going to be basted come Monday.
If your going to sit down, you better be with the coach or reviewing pictures. Not bs'ing.

They ripped Santonio for just sitting there, Sanchez didnt do any better. Game day temps were 74. All he wanted to do was sit under the canopy. Funny thing is, Santonio probably said, pass me the Fing ball biatch. Sanchez said, your not in my dink and dunk off patterns, lol.

My Jets boys are fuming, I offered to buy them all Steelers jerseys if they come over to the other side. They have issues with Tomlin, lol I think they are weakening though, lol