PDA

View Full Version : Troy not 100%

thumper
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Pittsburgh Steelers S Troy Polamalu (Achilles') said he is not 100 percent yet, but he is inching closer to it. He did not have surgery on his previous Achilles' issue, and noted sometimes it takes longer to heal when an injury doesn't require going under the knife.

Getting really sick of hearing this almost every single year.

REALLY sick of it.

If he misses 4 games or more, or isn't ever really healed,
then I say let his ass walk after this year. No amount talent
can overcome constant injuries. And him being hobbled in
the Super Bowl is one big reason that we lost. He was a liability,
which is the opposite of a play maker.

Yea, he's made incredible plays. Yea, he is a different cat with
his super soft spoke demeanor, yea, he has big hair, yea he
makes the sign of the cross all the time (weird), yea, he flies
around when he plays.....but WTF, he's hurt all the time.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 01:11 PM

REALLY sick of it.

Be careful what you wish for - if #43 did not play the Steelers would have lost the Bills and Ravens games last season and possibly missed the playoffs

Who replaces him?

thumper
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Be careful what you wish for - if #43 did not play the Steelers would have lost the Bills and Ravens games last season and possibly missed the playoffs

Who replaces him?

Someone who can actually stay on the field.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Someone who can actually stay on the field.

That certainly worked out well in 2009

IMO Troy will not be back next year so we will see how the team plays with a lesser talent who stays on the field

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 01:36 PM
The way I look at it nowadays, I'd rather have Troy a half a season than have somebody else in there for 16 games! He's that irreplaceable. The documentation is widely known. Without Troy on the field, our defense dips in almost every category, it's no coincidence.

Besides, playing this long in the NFL, who actually IS 100%? Peyton Manning has a freakin neck injury and gets 90MIL. Troy will be fine.

solardave
07-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Prediction. The Steelers look at safeties next draft because Troy's health will be a big issue if it keeps him out of games this year. I love him to death and I don't see our scheme without him as his fault. One player should NOT affect a defense (or lack of it) like Troy does. Not his fault,the blame falls on LeBeau. There. I said it. You don't see any SB caliber team's defense drop off like ours does when Troy is hurt.

stb_steeler
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Funny, everyones on the high horse when he makes great plays. Its a known fact our D is built around Troy, even if he's not 100% some opposing teams still cant defend it.....

TRH
07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Troy's health/ankle issues are really starting to be a concern at this point.

I understand he made some good plays last year, but how can you count on him to do that again and again when he can barely run. Not to mention the games he misses that we need him to play in (and those games where he plays 35 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage, he might as well be not playing....)

thumper
07-31-2011, 02:46 PM
The way I look at it nowadays, I'd rather have Troy a half a season than have somebody else in there for 16 games! He's that irreplaceable. The documentation is widely known. Without Troy on the field, our defense dips in almost every category, it's no coincidence.

Besides, playing this long in the NFL, who actually IS 100%? Peyton Manning has a freakin neck injury and gets 90MIL. Troy will be fine.

Yea, but Manning avoids almost ALL contact. If a defenders come in
on him, he literally falls to the ground instead of taking contact. How many
times have you seen Manning hit hard? Almost never. Troy obviously
has tons of contact. When healthy, TP is irreplaceable. But sometimes
even the irreplaceable have to be replaced as father time marches on.

If this season is similar to last year, I would not resign him. Not only did
he miss games, but in some of the games he was in, he was dinged
enough that he wasn't his usual self. Yet, he will want paid as if he is
going to play 16 games as his usual self. If he can't then it ain't worth
paying for.

thumper
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Funny, everyones on the high horse when he makes great plays. Its a known fact our D is built around Troy, even if he's not 100% some opposing teams still cant defend it.....

GB could. If that is the TP we are likely to get from now on, then
his past is just what it is: His PAST. The TP we got in the post season
made the field, but he wasn't a factor. Matter of fact, GB even PICKED
on him for TDs if you recall.

tanda10506
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
I would rather have Troy miss 4 games then have someone else in his spot. We have great players but none of them make plays as great and as often as Troy. It is EXTREMELY frustrating hearing about him missing a game or not being "100%", but there is nobody that can fill that spot. As mentioned, no matter how great he is, no one player should make the team drop down as far as our D does when Troy is out. The defense is built around him, but with him only playing a few more years and the ridiculous amount of injuries, something has to change.

TRH
07-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Yep. Agreed.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Yea, but Manning avoids almost ALL contact. If a defenders come in
on him, he literally falls to the ground instead of taking contact. How many
times have you seen Manning hit hard? Almost never. Troy obviously
has tons of contact. When healthy, TP is irreplaceable. But sometimes
even the irreplaceable have to be replaced as father time marches on.

If this season is similar to last year, I would not resign him. Not only did
he miss games, but in some of the games he was in, he was dinged
enough that he wasn't his usual self. Yet, he will want paid as if he is
going to play 16 games as his usual self. If he can't then it ain't worth
paying for.

What I think Troy's problem, is that he has no control. It's not like he's injury prone for the sake of being injury prone. Think about it, in '08, he got too anxious to pick up the football in Game 1 vs Tennessee, and someone fell on his knee at a very weird angle. That's just a freak accident.

Last season, his injury stemmed from him diving and landing awkwardly in the endzone after he picked off Carson Palmer. He just needs more self control, he can withstand things the way he plays. He retires a Steeler, no way we let him go, it's not just not happening.

If we can't let Aaron Smith go, who had season ending surgery the last 3/4 years, then we will NOT let Troy go under any circumstance.

pancake
07-31-2011, 03:26 PM
No way do I want to see Troy in another uniform.

StainlessStill
07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
No way do I want to see Troy in another uniform.

That would be a SAD, SAD f*cking day for Steelers Nation all around the world. Nonetheless, we don't have to worry about it, because it simply isn't happening.

finesward
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM

REALLY sick of it.

Well I hope someone lets Troy know that you are getting REALLY sick of him being injured. How dare he??

Rick5895
07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Troy may be a little more difficult to sign since the friggin Chargers made a very average safety (Weddle) the highest paid safety in the league. But I have a feeling Troy is of the Bettis mold, a guy who will take less to stay with a great organization which has become family. When he is healthy he makes a difference and sometimes that is the difference between playoffs and not. With him hobbling last season we made it to the Super bowl and were a drive away from winning the damn game. He needs to stay, HE is that important to this team.
That all being said, we certainly need to target safety in the next draft, not only the concern about TP but Clark is north of 30. Maybe some of these kids we have drafted as CB could play safety. Brown is an intriguing possibility.

stb_steeler
07-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Note that i said some teams....but TP prolly shouldnt have been in the SB game.... But that doesnt mean hes washed up just yet.

pete74
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
troy's agent will want him paid as the top saftey in the game after this season and i think he earned that and deserves it. with that said if i were in charge of the steelers and he got hurt again this season i would let him walk in 2012. i love him and think he is the best saftey to ever play but we cant afford to pay someone 10 million a year to play in 10 games a year

fer522
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
can we start playing football already
he'll be a steeler for life and thats the end of that :tt03:

pete74
08-01-2011, 05:26 AM
can we start playing football already
he'll be a steeler for life and thats the end of that :tt03:

its nice to hope but in reality it comes down to cash

Fire Haley
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
He'll be OK

Polamalu still isn't where he wants to be physically, but the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year showed no signs of a tender Achilles before yesterday's practice at St. Vincent College.

"I'm not 100 percent yet," said Polamalu, who had only three tackles in the Super Bowl. "But I'm inching in on it. Sometimes, when something doesn't require surgery, it actually takes a lot longer to heal. So, the lockout helped my injury. I didn't have to push too fast."

"It's still a month before opening day, so I'm trying to peak at the right time," said Polamalu, who likely won't suit up against the Washington Redskins in the preseason opener Aug. 12.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749192.html

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Long article in the P-G today - typical Troy at the end regarding his contract situation

Polamalu will pace himself in camp as Achilles tendon continues to heal

"This lockout, they have other things going on," Polamalu said. "I'm not too worried about it. They've been more than fair to me. It's been a good relationship."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11213/1164348-66.stm

Farrior_roirraW
08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
its nice to hope but in reality it comes down to cash

While this very may well happen I don't see Troy being the greedy type.

steeltheone
08-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I worry about his health too and griped about it in the past but he is just such an unreal player and great guy we gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

steelcity1974
08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I would never get rid of Troy. I'm sick of him being injured too, but it's because of his position and the style he plays. If he can't stay healthy, I'd move him to FS before letting him go.

thumper
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I would never get rid of Troy. I'm sick of him being injured too, but it's because of his position and the style he plays. If he can't stay healthy, I'd move him to FS before letting him go.

I don't think the move will help make him more healthy. He will still be
flying around, putting himself in a position to get dinged. He used to
be healthy every other year. Perhaps he will make it through healthy
this year. At least he's not accumulating concussions, as was feared
when he came out of college.

Steelers17
08-01-2011, 07:27 PM

No one, repeat no one is fine after an Achilles injury! Confirmation will become obvious on two fronts as the season progresses.

OX1947
08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I accepted a long time ago that Troy may have a 10 year career and that's it. His style of play just doesn't allow a injury free career. Sorry guys. Had the Steelers won the Super Bowl this last February, that may have sealed him as a first ballot. However, right now, with his DOPY last year, he will will be a Hall of Famer. Anything he gives from here on out is gravy.