PDA

View Full Version : Gay re-signed. What do you think?

TRH
07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Steelers agreed to a multi-year contract with William Gay. That news is bound to cause an uproar considering how many people complained about him last year.

*edit* didn't see the thread below because it wasn't in the title.

DanRooney
07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
What do I think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE

LVSteelersfan
07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
CRAPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hope the rookies show some good stuff in camp so Gay is one of the first ones cut. I figured they would keep him at least for training camp. Butler better be ready to take over that nickel back slot so that Gay is expendable.

kennymaine
07-31-2011, 04:57 PM
The only time I thinks of W. Gay is when the opponent sends the ball down field for an easy completion and who's in the area? your right No. 22. Terrible signing

Corey_J
07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I think he fits the D scheme well IMO. He can blitz very well and as long as our safeties can have over the top help he is fine !

DanRooney
07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I think he fits the D scheme well IMO. He can blitz very well and as long as our safeties can have over the top help he is fine !

Right because blitzing from the cornerback position seems to be the most important trait of a Steelers QB.

ggoldman
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
at least its only a one year deal

Ruffneck525
07-31-2011, 08:00 PM
people are down on him but I don't think he's any worse than Ike " I can't cover anybody to save my life" Taylor.But for some reason steeler fans give him a pass on getting burnt over and over and think he's actually decent

Other teams didn't even have an intrest in Taylor.

stb_steeler
08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
people are down on him but I don't think he's any worse than Ike " I can't cover anybody to save my life" Taylor.But for some reason steeler fans give him a pass on getting burnt over and over and think he's actually decent

Your kidding right?.....you'd rather have Gay over Taylor?....WOW.. You must have that backwards, Gay cant cover, he gets burned everytime across the middle.

Ruffneck525
08-01-2011, 02:32 AM
I never said gay over taylor.. I'd love to have someone else entirely over both.

What I am saying is taylor is no better than gay.. if you put taylor in the slot on 3rd down he be burnt all over the field also. taylor is below average but a sometimes decent tackler.

go watch films the proof is there.. he can't catch int's can't cover except when the sideline out of bounds does the work for him.

i'd love ot have an entirely new Corner.. but they just resigned taylor so it's not happening. He'll continue to give up his usual easy routes in game.

Some of you don't realize how much troy and clark cover for ike's mistakes.

Aussie Steeler
08-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Ofcourse we need to sign Gay! We are so thin on cornerbacks. Lewis is a failure. And for Butler, I think he'll see some time in the nickel and a few runs for McFadden. Also, I am going to predict Butler will play a safety position this year. All in all, Gay knows how our scheme works. He is a good short zone/blitz CB in the nickel and dime. Our rookie CB's need time to develop in the NFL and they'll probably be special team players for the entire year.

DFWSTEELERFAN
08-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Every time I see a big play happen, I look for 22... It's almost a given that he is on the other end of it somewhere. I can't stand to watch him play.

Fire Arians
08-01-2011, 10:17 AM
hes a decent nickel/dime back. he doesnt have much in the way of range, but against today's offenses we need more than 2 capable db's. as long as he was signed cheap i think its a good depth move. with that said i hope crezdon butler or one of our young corners can bump him down the list

stb_steeler
08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I'll give ya the OK on nickel dime packages, but even thats very little.....He is nowhere near the level of Ike......no way!....He's here to stay!

thumper
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Every time I see a big play happen, I look for 22... It's almost a given that he is on the other end of it somewhere. I can't stand to watch him play.

If he is trying to cover an outside WR, yes, he gets burnt. But he shouldn't
even be playing the outside WR. He is a nickel and dime, inside slot
CB. In that role, he is not that bad as all of you seem to think. Many of
you think he sucks b/c he was forced to play B-Mac's spot, because
Mac was injured. How many times last year did you look up and see 22
playing when he didn't start? B-Mac would make a go at it and his hip
was too jacked, hence 22 would be in the game, trying to play out of
position. If he can just play nickel I think he does fine.

ricardisimo
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Gay's actually not that bad, so long as he's not an every down corner. He makes as many big plays as he allows, but people only seem to remember the blown coverages. He knows the system, and at some point the light might go on for him. I'm kind of astounded that it was only a one-year deal.

SteelReich
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Keenan Lewis can beat him out for nickle. I hope Lewis shows up big time. Gay doesn't make a bad dimeback. Can't wait to see the young guys like butler, brown, and allen battle it out for spots tho. thats where we're going to find our future starters. But I hear Keenan Lewis has been pretty impressive while practicing with the 1st team during Ike's absence. id rather have a core of 4 decent cb's than 1 standout and weak nickle and dime cb's.

steeltheone
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Come on...The only knock on Ike is his hands..He is a cover corner...

Gay is fine..Not great, but fine...Not sure how you could pick him out when Farrior is 10 yards off every back or TE he covers and Mcfadden and Clark are not much better.

solardave
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Your kidding right?.....you'd rather have Gay over Taylor?....WOW.. You must have that backwards, Gay cant cover, he gets burned everytime across the middle.

Sure he can't cover but he makes up for it by not tackling!!!!!:sofunny: