PDA

View Full Version : "trio of steelers restructure contracts"

Wallabeast17
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
To help get under the cap. This team is amazing :tt04:
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/01/trio-of-steelers-restructure-contracts/

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I note the story states Ward also has been asked to restructure - seeing as this year probably is it for Hines good luck with that

Pit fan from Mass.
08-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Just like it says,

Ben and James are restructuring their contracts to help get too, or below cap limits.

I wonder if they are taking one for the team and only making 90 mill in five years like Manning.

Manning.....what a guy huh? so generous; man of the people.

BIGNASTY91
08-02-2011, 05:16 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/01/trio-of-steelers-restructure-contracts/

Also add keisel to the mix too! I love the loyalty that this team has. They know what has to be done to keep these guys together and there doing it!!!! :tt04: :applaudit: :tt02:

kirklandrules
08-02-2011, 05:38 AM

Also add keisel to the mix too! I love the loyalty that this team has. They know what has to be done to keep these guys together and there doing it!!!! :tt04: :applaudit: :tt02:

It's not about loyalty. Hell, these guys are happy to restructure because a larger portion of their contracts are paid upfront in the form of a signing bonus (which the team can spread across the life of the contract in terms of salary cap). So the team gets cap relief and the players get paid upfront, with the down side being if the player is injured they still pocket that upfront money.

DoctorCAD
08-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Every team does this, not just the Steelers.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
If Ward was asked, he would also be asked if he wanted to stick around another year or 2 to spread out a signing bonus. Doesn;t matter if he is in th elast year its about spread cap value around.

ebsteelers
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
yea, alot of teams do this, its not exclusively a steeler thing

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
If Ward was asked, he would also be asked if he wanted to stick around another year or 2 to spread out a signing bonus. Doesn;t matter if he is in th elast year its about spread cap value around.

The danger in the restructuring is you end up with dead money that counts against the cap for the dearly departed - that is why I am surprised Ward was on that list

You will note nobody expects A. Smith to restructure (

thumper
08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Every team does this, not just the Steelers.

That's what I was thinking. Before we canonize these guys and make
them saints, they aren't giving anything up, just shuffling their deals around.
Now, I am glad they are. But let's not worship them for just doing what
almost everyone else does. They aren't giving up anything. And if they
have to, they usually won't, unless they are being highly over paid in
terms of market value and know they couldn't get the same $ any where
else.

stb_steeler
08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
The danger in the restructuring is you end up with dead money that counts against the cap for the dearly departed - that is why I am surprised Ward was on that list

You will note nobody expects A. Smith to restructure (

Speaking of Aaron Smith. whats up with him, was he let go or ?

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Speaking of Aaron Smith. whats up with him, was he let go or ?

Nope - he is in camp after missing most of the last 2 seasons and is scheduled to pull down $4.5 million this season on a team that could not afford to sign a back-up TE due to salary cap problems

pete74
08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
its all the same to the players. its not like there taking less money for the team. they still get the exact same amount of money and have the same amount of years on there contract. the difference is the get more money up front which im sure they all love

55BaileyFan
08-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Its great and all but it is not like the teams are giving cash up...they are just converting base salary to bonuses in future years. Trading 5M in base for 5M in bonuses is not giving cash up. I love that they would do that but I would be more impressed if they pulled a Jerome Bettis or an Ike Taylor (both of whom gave up cash)

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I would be more impressed if they pulled a Jerome Bettis or an Ike Taylor (both of whom gave up cash)

Of course Bettis took a haircut on his contract after the Steelers made him a back-up in 2003 (Zeroue) and brought in Duce Staley in 2004 - hard to say how "voluntary" that was
since he was looking at being let go otherwise

The Bus had the most unlikely of happy endings to his career given that he was in Cowher's doghouse after the 2002 season

stb_steeler
08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Nope - he is in camp after missing most of the last 2 seasons and is scheduled to pull down $4.5 million this season on a team that could not afford to sign a back-up TE due to salary cap problems

Thats not bad for being on the bench

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Thats not bad for being on the bench

He apparently is starting :noidea:

Team needs to get younger on the D-line - more Ziggy:thumbsup:

fer522
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
is A. Smith healthy anybody
i haven't heard nothin about his injury

Farrior_roirraW
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ziggy takes over the starting job mid-season. (That's if they're going with Smith, which I think they will/are.)

kirklandrules
08-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ziggy takes over the starting job mid-season. (That's if they're going with Smith, which I think they will/are.)

I wouldn't be surprise if Ziggy is the opening day starter. Production didn't fall off one bit when he stepped in last year (the run D actually improved).

cloppbeast
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
The Bus had the most unlikely of happy endings to his career given that he was in Cowher's doghouse after the 2002 season

I don't remember hearing about this? Why was he in Cowher's dog house?

jjpro11
08-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Its great and all but it is not like the teams are giving cash up...they are just converting base salary to bonuses in future years. Trading 5M in base for 5M in bonuses is not giving cash up. I love that they would do that but I would be more impressed if they pulled a Jerome Bettis or an Ike Taylor (both of whom gave up cash)

Colon is really the only guy who actually had another offer for more money ($3 mil) and turned it down to stay with the Steelers. you can really only speculate about Bettis and Taylor.. although i believe Taylor surely would have gotten more money on the open market.

Atlanta Dan
08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't remember hearing about this? Why was he in Cowher's dog house?

The Bus was injured and fat in 2002

This from Cowher after the Tennessee playoff loss in January 2003

Jerome Bettis wants to retire a Steeler, but Coach Bill Cowher might have a say in the matter.

Without being prompted at his postseason news conference yesterday, Cowher mentioned the names of Bettis and quarterback Kordell Stewart as two veterans who might not be with the Steelers in 2003....

Cowher would not speculate on whether Bettis would be back in 2003.

"I am not going to discuss anything in regards to that. It is not fair to do that. There are two high-profile players in Jerome Bettis and Kordell Stewart and unrestricted free agents. There are a lot of questions that people have in regard to not just whether they come back, but the roles they will play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20030115steele0115p2.asp

Bettis then got demoted in training camp in 2003

Jerome Bettis had no inkling he would be demoted for the first time in his career with the Steelers after concluding a training camp he called one of his best...
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20030821steele0821p2.asp

Which prompted this recollection from Bettis in his book

“I showed up at camp thinking it was going to be an open competition, but in reality, the choice had already been made. … When Coach made the decision, he said it was based on a gut feeling. A gut feeling? I had something to prove. But it’s hard to prove something if you’re not given a fair shake.”

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2007/08/22/bettis-taking-shots-and-cowher-and-steelers-in-new-book/

And after Zeroue flamed out in 2003 they went with Duce over Bettis in 2004 until he got hurt

Fire Arians
08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
this is what makes the steelers the best franchise in the NFL. we draft guys that want to win, not be the highest paid