PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Sports Tool You've Come Across

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Just for fun...who was the biggest sports jerk you ever came across?...and who impressed you the most?

I'll start with a personal story....Peyton Mannings rookie year. My boy was 4 yo and we went to a scrimmage game between Colts/Rams in Champaign IL. After the game ther was about 400 people waiting by the the back gate. Manning comes out and does an interview about every 10-15 ft as he is walking to his bus....He sees my kid....walks away from a reporter and gets on one knee in front of my son...signs a football rubs his head and says "there ya go little man"..........................5 minutes later, Marshall Faulk walks out with the front of his shirt pulled over his face....he stops in front of the kids...lets down his shirt and in the midst of all this young fans asking for an autograph..he says "I'm not Marshall Faulk...He is still inside"....as the kids turn around to ask their dads if this is true...The Buttclown dodges into the bus...lowers a window...sticks his head out, laughs, pulls his head back in and puts up the window...
To this day my son STILL hates Faulk with a burning passion, and even though he thinks Manning chokes in the big games...he respects the fact that Peyton was down to earth.

tony hipchest
05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
well that sucks about faulk. he always seems like such a character guy when you see him on tv. i havent met any atheletes but quite a few bands. faith no more were pretty much tools, but the scorpions were really nice, and let me pose with pictures with them on the set of a video shoot. kirk hammet was cool, death, and sepultura, as was fear factory (hung out with them on their tour bus and we talked for about 30 minutes about different bands we liked and all the cool ones they had toured with recently), .

Hines86Ward
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I was at Bengals camp last year. I met Chris Henry, Carson, Marvin, Rudi, etc etc. But CJ "Mini Mr. T" & TJ were just standing there staring at everyone refusing to sign anything. They stood there for a good 10-15 minutes before they went into the locker room. There were little kids crying, parents yelling, it was getting ugly.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Thats really cool....had a buddy who was in a bar when Bruce Willis and two of his friends came in and hung out like he was "one of the guys"...
Faulk does come across like a "nice guy" when he is on Television ot on the Dan Patrick Show...but I guess when you are planning ahead for a commentator position and future paycheck ...you can put on the mask. TOTAL TOOL!!

clevestinks
05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I have two.

1. Gary Anderson- When my younger brother was seven, I took him to a Steelers vs. bills scrimmage at Edinboro College outside Erie PA. He went up and ask GA for an autograph and GA replied " Get away from me kid, maybe later" This was after practice, all other players were signing.

2. Webster Slaughter- My wife works with a girl who use to date Reggie Langhorn, we were a;ways at parties with the two brownie wr. He told me one day, as I was asking him about the game earlier in the day that the Steelers won, he replied that the Steelers were lucky and Bernie had a bad game. Oh okay Webster.

mattss
05-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Living in Manhattan Beach I have seen a few guys that have a places in the area..Just after the Pro Bowl I was down at Sharks Cove on like a tues/wed night getting a few drinks and as they were closing down the kitchen, Tony Gonzalez, his brother and a chick came in to get some drinks and food..When they approached the bar and found out they couldnt get food I slipped in a "whats up Tony, congrats on the Pro Bowl" He was chill and said whats up but left to go next door for food at the Irish Pub Hennesey's..At the same bar not too long ago, my buddy and I were eating lunch and in came Jeff Garcia and his hot Playboy GF..They sat down two tables across but I never said anything but couldnt help to look over every once in awhile..If anyone is into Hockey, I was across another bar on a busy Thurs night earlier this year and spotted Jeremy Roenick with a few other I would assume L.A. Kings players..I remember Jeremy from his Blackhawk days and although pretty sauced and upset about the holdout at the time, I went over to say what up..From what I remember he was cool talking about stuff eventhough he got heated from interviews during the holdout. For me no real bad experiences yet..

Lyn
05-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I have never met a pro player unless nascar counts LOL

On the pro basketball level, I was one of many who were organizing this huge players from all teams who were coming to the Breslin Center. It was a charity for children. Obviously, the kids were promised autographs. Long story short, it did not happen, after the game all the pro basketball players left and Chris Webber was a total a$$hole, (I can not stand him) he was the one telling the rest to get out of there and onto the bus. But, I blame ALL of them for listening to the jerk because they all knew there would be busloads of fans (kids) and they were expected to sign autographs.............that was part of the deal. Needless to say we had thousands of kids crying and could offer no honest explanation.

I can understand players being overwhelmed with fans who want autographs, I saw it at the Superbowl Parade. 250,000 screaming fans and everyone wanted an autograph. Kiesel and many others did not do alot of looking up as they were signing, signing, signing. I see their side of it but...........the above situation was all set up and autographs were expected.

tony hipchest
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I have never met a pro player unless nascar counts LOL

nascar definitely counts

Suitanim
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Brett Favre was drunk at 7:30 in the morning for the Quarterback Challenge (I think this was in '98 or so)...but it actually made him friendlier, so I'm not sure it counts.

SteelerFanInCA
05-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I have two.

1. Gary Anderson- When my younger brother was seven, I took him to a Steelers vs. bills scrimmage at Edinboro College outside Erie PA. He went up and ask GA for an autograph and GA replied " Get away from me kid, maybe later" This was after practice, all other players were signing.

2. Webster Slaughter- My wife works with a girl who use to date Reggie Langhorn, we were a;ways at parties with the two brownie wr. He told me one day, as I was asking him about the game earlier in the day that the Steelers won, he replied that the Steelers were lucky and Bernie had a bad game. Oh okay Webster.
Man, attitude from a kicker? That's a dam shame. Kickers have no rights because kickers are not football players.

SteelerFanInCA
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Just for fun...who was the biggest sports jerk you ever came across?...and who impressed you the most?

I'll start with a personal story....Peyton Mannings rookie year. My boy was 4 yo and we went to a scrimmage game between Colts/Rams in Champaign IL. After the game ther was about 400 people waiting by the the back gate. Manning comes out and does an interview about every 10-15 ft as he is walking to his bus....He sees my kid....walks away from a reporter and gets on one knee in front of my son...signs a football rubs his head and says "there ya go little man"..........................5 minutes later, Marshall Faulk walks out with the front of his shirt pulled over his face....he stops in front of the kids...lets down his shirt and in the midst of all this young fans asking for an autograph..he says "I'm not Marshall Faulk...He is still inside"....as the kids turn around to ask their dads if this is true...The Buttclown dodges into the bus...lowers a window...sticks his head out, laughs, pulls his head back in and puts up the window...
To this day my son STILL hates Faulk with a burning passion, and even though he thinks Manning chokes in the big games...he respects the fact that Peyton was down to earth.
I never expected that from Faulk but anything is possible with Athletes once they get big headed. I believe bad Karma got this best of him with all of his injuries in recent years.

SteelerFanInCA
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
For me it would have to be Reggie Jackson. I remember going to Angel games as a kid and waiting for the players to come out after the game. Every time someone would ask Reggie for an autograph he would say "do you have 50 cents?". Spoken like a true jerk that he is. That dude still gets on my nerves to this day. What the hell does 50 cents buy?

Hammer67
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Didn't meet a football player but i was doing a part time Techie gig at Best Buy number of years ago and saw Plex. (he was signing for people and nice to those that asked). I also talked to Mario Lemiuex. he was there with his kid, Austin. While he was polite and nice, he doesn't sign in public because of signing endorsements he had at the time and for the fact that it would be situations of "if I do it once, then everyone comes up and the flood gates open".

It was all good.

I did meet Curtis Enis when he was at Penn State (same time I was). Ended up playing NCAA college football with him on the Playstation at a buddy's house. He was quiet but just one of the guys.

Also met Michael Keaton. Real nice guy. My parents are friends with his brother and wife.

Hammer67
05-26-2006, 12:44 PM
My cousin also knows Hines Ward, personally. She has hung out with football players on numerous occasions. She said Bettis was nice but cheap as hell. Roethlisberger was a lush and a bit aloof but seemed to be just acting the way other guys do his age (partying and living it up). She said a lot of those guys are cheap when it comes to bills and tipping and that Hines has had to cover tabs at his bar in the South Side because guys assume they are comp'ed.

WhiteTrashTrouble
05-26-2006, 02:50 PM
PHIL SIMMS

I hate that fag....Every time pittsburgh is on cbs he hypes up the other team. Or if the steelers run a good drive he will compliment the defense that totally got worked in the secondary. I hate that blonde bastard. I hope he chokes on greg gumbles left *bleep*

Sry hes my most hated jerk

3 to be 4
05-26-2006, 11:03 PM
i never fell for the "Cal Ripkin is a such a great guy" crap. And sure enough, at a Red Sox fans i was watching before the game as some kids were trying to get his attention ,not to sign anything, but just to wave hello or something, he gave them one of those looks that you cant describe but you know it when you see it, like a "you kids are losers, and im a big shot so dont forget it"
i just never could stand the guy.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I met KW2 and Romeo Crenell at the Auto Show in 2005 and they were both really cool,even though I was in Steelers gear.

I have also met numerous Cleveland Indians.Bob Wickman,Jim Thome (back when he was an Indian),Aaron Boone,Mota (can't spell his first name),Casey Blake,CC Sabathia just to name some.They were all cool.

I also have met most of the former MISL soccer team the Cleveland Force aka Cleveland Crunch.Unfortunatly,the team is now defunct but I used to hang out after games at a bar downtown called Harveys and they would come there and hang out.

Hines86Ward
05-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Gary Anderson? Really? My aunt used to take pics for the Steelers, and when I was born 3 months pre-mature, he came and visited me. I have a picture of him holding me and I got an autographed picture of him. Obvoiusly, I don't remember it bc I was just a baby, but everyone told me he was a really nice guy.

Hines86Ward
05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Ken Griffey Jr isn't very nice. They make him look like such a nice guy on TV, but he's actually a jerk in real life.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-27-2006, 02:25 PM

I met Randle El. He was doing a promotion for a sports store that is near where I live. El also is orginally from IL. So that not to far from where I'm at also. But El was very cool and a nice person. Even after the time had passed for him to stop signing autographs. He stayed and signed for every person that was remaining in the line. Granted there was only 20 or so people left. But he could have said thats it and left. But he didn't. I also talked to him for alittle bit.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-27-2006, 02:39 PM
well that sucks about faulk. he always seems like such a character guy when you see him on tv. i havent met any atheletes but quite a few bands. faith no more were pretty much tools, but the scorpions were really nice, and let me pose with pictures with them on the set of a video shoot. kirk hammet was cool, death, and sepultura, as was fear factory (hung out with them on their tour bus and we talked for about 30 minutes about different bands we liked and all the cool ones they had toured with recently), .

I have met a few bands as well . I met the guys from Staind when they were coming off their tour bus outside a show in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They were really cool. Lead singer Aaron Lewis you can tell he isn't fond of the fame that comes with stardom. He wasn't rude and didn't come off as a jerk. He was just laid back and didn't understand why people make such a big deal about him. Plus he was higher then kite when I met him. The guys all signed autographs.

Same show I met the guys from Cold and Puddle of Mudd. The guys from Cold were not very friendly but they still signed autographs for everybody. The guys from Puddle of Mudd were very nice guys. This was back early in 2001 and I don't think Control was even released yet by Puddle of Mudd. I didn't know who they were at the time. But the guys from Puddle of Mudd were very cool. Wes the lead singer was handing out free tickets to teenage kids that didn't have tickets for the show.

The guys from Disturbed are complete jerks. I met them at Ozzfest one year and they were rude and acted like I'm a star and you can't talk to me. I got the chance to hang with Godsmack backstage after a concert. Sully Erna the lead singer is one crazy guy. Them guys can drink.

Petesburgh66
05-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Eric Lindros

When the Oshawa Generals won the Memorial Cup (the Canadian Junior Hockey Championship) in 1990, he didn't bother to show up for the championship parade and ralley. At that time, Lindros was hyped to be next big thing the NHL (we know how that story turned out, ask anybody that follows the Philthydelphia Fylers) Anyways, some clown PR guy from the team joked that he couldn't be here and had something school related. This was like 6 PM. This was the biggest BS I ever heard, considering the entire team minus the Grieve brothers were there. Lindros stiffed the entire fans that came to get his autograph, considering the team gave away posters (with each individual player on it) at the ralley. I wanted his dam autograph on the poster as I managed to get everybody elses from the team. To this day, I can't stand him for this...even though he ended up coming to the Toronto Maple Leafs. I still have the poster minus his autograpgh below his picture.

Steel12
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
DR. J...It's been 10 years and I still can't stand that bastard. I'm from Augusta, GA and I was at the Masters Golf Tournament. I saw alot of other athletes that day and everyone was cool except that bum. It was me and my brother and he talked me up to go ask for an autograph. I went and said, "Excuse me, do you mind if I have your autograph"? He says, "Nah man, I'm just here to relax"! You know, I would've understood if there was a mob of people around him but he was just standing there by himself. Another thing is that I'm black and me and my brother were the only non-famous black people there. You'd think he would've took the time to just sign the damn paper. He doesn't owe me anything because I'm black and that's fine but don't just blow me off. Ok, I'm fine now...

3 to be 4
06-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I heard that in Dallas, Jackie Kennedy was EXTREMLY rude to a someone at the hospital.
I mean, I undertand her husband just got his head blown off, but really, these people get all famous and they cant stop and take time from their trivial pursuits to sit and chat for a while. Its all Me Me Me My Husband My Dress. sheeesh!

Steel12
06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Thats really cool....had a buddy who was in a bar when Bruce Willis and two of his friends came in and hung out like he was "one of the guys"...
Faulk does come across like a "nice guy" when he is on Television ot on the Dan Patrick Show...but I guess when you are planning ahead for a commentator position and future paycheck ...you can put on the mask. TOTAL TOOL!!

Bruce Willis came to the UAE when I was there in 2003. He performed with his band. But before the show he was comin up to people shakin their hands and after the show, well, let's say there was a line of people waitin to meet him....there were no dudes in the line.

Mosca
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Ironhead Heyward, god rest his soul.

When I lived in Oakland, my apartment faced the house in which he and some other players lived. I was a working guy, and I had to be out of the house by 7AM; they were off season and party-hearty.

One morning at about 4AM, the stereo at their house started BLASTING, ridiculously loud, jolted me wide awake. It kept playing. I pulled on some sweats and went down to the fence that separated the properties, and as loud as I could yelled, "TURN THAT SH*T DOWN!!!!!!" A moment later the music stopped, and Ironhead wobbled out the door toward me. He walked right up to the fence, looked me in the eye, and said, "I'm gonna f***ing kill you." I stood there for a second and said, "If you kill me then I don't have to get up and go to work in three hours." He said it again. I said, "I don't want any trouble, just turn the music down so that I can sleep." He said something like, "I do whatever the f*** I want," and I said whatever and went back to bed. But he didn't turn the music back on.

I imagine, with all the good things said about him, that he matured after that. That was the early '80s, and there was a lot of drug use among Pittsburgh athletes then (Pirate Parrot and all). I'm sure he was coked to the gills. There were a lot of stories about his bad behavior when he was at Pitt; he wasn't someone you wanted to run across during those years.

Tom

Steel12
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Ironhead Heyward, god rest his soul.

When I lived in Oakland, my apartment faced the house in which he and some other players lived. I was a working guy, and I had to be out of the house by 7AM; they were off season and party-hearty.

One morning at about 4AM, the stereo at their house started BLASTING, ridiculously loud, jolted me wide awake. It kept playing. I pulled on some sweats and went down to the fence that separated the properties, and as loud as I could yelled, "TURN THAT SH*T DOWN!!!!!!" A moment later the music stopped, and Ironhead wobbled out the door toward me. He walked right up to the fence, looked me in the eye, and said, "I'm gonna f***ing kill you." I stood there for a second and said, "If you kill me then I don't have to get up and go to work in three hours." He said it again. I said, "I don't want any trouble, just turn the music down so that I can sleep." He said something like, "I do whatever the f*** I want," and I said whatever and went back to bed. But he didn't turn the music back on.

I imagine, with all the good things said about him, that he matured after that. That was the early '80s, and there was a lot of drug use among Pittsburgh athletes then (Pirate Parrot and all). I'm sure he was coked to the gills. There were a lot of stories about his bad behavior when he was at Pitt; he wasn't someone you wanted to run across during those years.

Tom

You are a very lucky man...lol

tony hipchest
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
the pirate parrot did coke???? holy crap! with that beak, he could snort more coke than corey dillon (not that dillon does coke but have you seen the size of dillons nose?)

you know the heads at parties hide their stash when the parrot walks walk through the door.

BBC
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Another thing is that I'm black and me and my brother were the only non-famous black people there.

This may be a little off topic, but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

3 to be 4
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
hey! something just made me think of this. remember a few years ago when that player hit the mascot over the head with a bat? was that in Pittsburgh??

Black@Gold Forever32
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
hey! something just made me think of this. remember a few years ago when that player hit the mascot over the head with a bat? was that in Pittsburgh??

The player was Randall Simon who used to play for the Pirates but he hit a Brewers mascot.

tony hipchest
06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
hey! something just made me think of this. remember a few years ago when that player hit the mascot over the head with a bat? was that in Pittsburgh??randal simon of the pirates. it was in milwaulkee during the sausage race. the greatest was when either the german or polish sausage looked back in concern for his fallen competitor and then bolted for the finish line for the win. other than mcclendon stealing 1st or maybe j. kendall snapping his foot off on 1st base, simon slapping the salami was one of the pirates greatest highlights in the last 10-15 years.

3 to be 4
06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
absolutly hysterical!!!!! i remember ESPN showing it over and over and over and over and over again, regular speed, slow motion. it was like the Zapruder film or Buckwheat getting shot. " and there.....the sausage is going down.."

Mosca
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
The Parrot, Kevin Koch, was the connection for the coke Pirates of the early '80s; Scurry, Berra, Thompson, Parker et al. It's in wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Parrot). It was common knowledge. When he would dance on the dugout we would ask him if he had any blow, and he would curse at us. "Got any blow, Kevin?" "**** you *******."

My family and I had front row seats right behind the Pirates dugout from the '40s at Forbes right through when I left Pittsburgh in 1987. My brother and I made the Pirates 100th anniversary yearbook. We were at the '79 World Series and it's a crowd shot after one of Stargell's home runs. Let me find it and link it... OK, the longhair front and center is my brother Jim, and I'm the longhair with the Pirates hat.

Tom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/Picture2a.jpg