PDA

View Full Version : A surprise cut coming?

DanRooney
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Ryan Clark hinted in a tweet that a surprise cut is coming. He said "its a blessing to have a job today. Trust is a funny thing! So hard to gain so easy to lose. Stay tuned. You'll see"

Hopefully it's Ward or Farrior. It's likely Aaron Smith though.

Steelerfreak58
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Interesting can't wait to see what the news is.

MasterOfPuppets
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
hopefully its larry foote. 3 mill for a backup is just plain dumb business.

DanRooney
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM

That wouldn't be a surprise at all.

Buddha Bus
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
That wouldn't be a surprise at all.

It would be to Foote. :chuckle:

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 05:15 PM

I would have to believe it's Foote.

But I'm not sure how that's surprising at all. :noidea: And from what Clark said it sounds like it's someone that has been on the team for a longer period of time like Smith. I'm not sure if Smith would be a surprise either though...

ricardisimo
08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Ummm... based on the tweet, wouldn't it be Clark? :noidea:

thumper
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd say Foote, Farrior or Smith. Has to be. But none of them should be surprised.
If you make more than you produce, you get fired. Nothing new about that.

thumper
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Ummm... based on the tweet, wouldn't it be Clark? :noidea:

Why would that be when he said "happy to have a job?" That doesn't
seem to make sense.

LVSteelersfan
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I was happy when Foote left the first time. I was PO'ed that they brought him back last year with the other rejects, Randle el and McFadden. Unfortunately it will probably be Aaron Smith who I have always liked a lot but it is hard to keep paying a salary to a player sitting on the I/R list year after year. It doesn't make good economical sense.

thumper
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
I was happy when Foote left the first time. I was PO'ed that they brought him back last year with the other rejects, Randle el and McFadden. Unfortunately it will probably be Aaron Smith who I have always liked a lot but it is hard to keep paying a salary to a player sitting on the I/R list year after year. It doesn't make good economical sense.

It doesn't make any sense, not just economical. It doesn't even make
common sense. Time to move on. Hood is ready,and Hayward will
be ready to develop and get some time in there. If Troy does his usual
injury feast, it's time to draft some safeties next year.

Rick5895
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
A.Smith or mkaybe even....BMAC>

stb_steeler
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I could see it being BMAC........:wave:

MasterOfPuppets
08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
smith makes the most sense. they have just spent to first round picks on his position in the last few years. 6 million is a lot of money to pay to a guy that can't stay on the field for a full season. i thought they would ask him to reduce his salary rather than cut him ( maybe they did ) considering they already sent eason packing , now their only depth would be an untested rookie.

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I could see it being BMAC........:wave:

Actually.,. that would be a surprise, but I highly doubt it.

thumper
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
It's got to be Smith. Crazy to spend that $ on a guy who doesn't even
play most games.

PhantomJB93
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I heard we're still WAY over the cap, in which case I could see it being both Smith and Foote, neither of whom I think we need.

Smith's been awesome but his time has come. I see no reason to pay him that much with a capable starter waiting in the wings, not to mention he is injury plagued and can't make it past week 5...

ricardisimo
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Why would that be when he said "happy to have a job?" That doesn't
seem to make sense.
He said it's a blessing to have a job today, and then some "easy-come-easy-go" bit.

Steelboy84
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Steelers change their mind on William Gay? *crosses fingers*

steeltheone
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
smith makes the most sense. they have just spent to first round picks on his position in the last few years. 6 million is a lot of money to pay to a guy that can't stay on the field for a full season. i thought they would ask him to reduce his salary rather than cut him ( maybe they did ) considering they already sent eason packing , now their only depth would be an untested rookie.

:tt04:

steeltheone
08-03-2011, 08:24 PM

I really hope losing Gibson to keep Smith on the roster doesn't come back to haunt us!

fer522
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
i hope is not Troy P

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
How would Ryan Clark know about any surprise cuts coming?

I read somewhere else that the comment was in response to Goodell and the CBA, which makes more sense:

RealRClark25 ryan clark
Been working this morning! It's a blessing to have a job! Trust is a funny thing! So hard to earn yet so easy to lose! Stay tuned! Youll see
1 hour ago

It's a bit of a leap to think that has anything to do with a Steeler player being cut.

steeltheone
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Trust? It's a business...

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 09:03 PM

I read somewhere else that the comment was in response to Goodell and the CBA, which makes more sense:

It's a bit of a leap to think that has anything to do with a Steeler player being cut.

Rereading it in that context it seems more likely the tweet is about the CBA, however, don't they have to be under/at the cap tomorrow? :noidea:

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Rereading it in that context it seems more likely the tweet is about the CBA, however, don't they have to be under/at the cap tomorrow? :noidea:

Look who you're asking. :sofunny:

I just don't believe that Clark would be clued in to any surprise cut coming. A veteran very well could be cut (and probably will be), but I don't think Clark's comment was about it.

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Look who you're asking. :sofunny:

I just don't believe that Clark would be clued in to any surprise cut coming. A veteran very well could be cut (and probably will be), but I don't think Clark's comment was about it.

:sofunny: Eh, I guess I should have thought about that one. :flap: I think the deadline was August 4th, could be wrong, usually am.

But, yeah, true. Anyways, I hate weird cryptic statements (or in this misinterpretations). :chuckle:

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
:sofunny: Eh, I guess I should have thought about that one. :flap: I think the deadline was August 4th, could be wrong, usually am.

But, yeah, true. Anyways, I hate weird cryptic statements (or in this misinterpretations). :chuckle:

With that said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Smith or Foote cut. Or even Farrior ... sorry, bro. :hug:

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 09:51 PM
With that said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Smith or Foote cut. Or even Farrior ... sorry, bro. :hug:

:hmmph: :crying03:

I'm sorta half ready for the Farrior cut (although Foote starting over Potsy seems a little ridiculous or even Sly at this point :chuckle: ).

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
:hmmph: :crying03:

I'm sorta half ready for the Farrior cut (although Foote starting over Potsy seems a little ridiculous or even Sly at this point :chuckle: ).

I'm torn on Farrior being cut and replaced with someone like Foote. I've never been a big fan of Foote, and I hate to mention him and Farrior in the same sentence. But Farrior isn't getting any younger, and his best days are behind him. If they feel the defense is good enough to lose Farrior in place of Foote, and if they can save money, it might be the right business decision. I'm too lazy to look up what both of them make, but age alone makes it something you have to consider.

DanRooney
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm torn on Farrior being cut and replaced with someone like Foote. I've never been a big fan of Foote, and I hate to mention him and Farrior in the same sentence. But Farrior isn't getting any younger, and his best days are behind him. If they feel the defense is good enough to lose Farrior in place of Foote, and if they can save money, it might be the right business decision. I'm too lazy to look up what both of them make, but age alone makes it something you have to consider.

Farrior will be replaced with Sylvester. No way in hell Foote steps in there as starter.

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Farrior will be replaced with Sylvester. No way in hell Foote steps in there as starter.

You could be right ... or you could be wrong. Sylvester has looked awesome in the limited action he's seen. But then again, so did William Gay. :noidea:

It could be Foote, Sylvester, or someone we're not even thinking about yet.

Farrior_roirraW
08-03-2011, 10:09 PM

I realize he is getting pretty old and no doubt think this is his last year, which I'm sure he even knows, but despite what people think on here, I think he played pretty well last season. Yeah, he got torched by Jennings in the SB, but come on, a LB on # 1/top 5 WR? I don't know what anyone expects a LB to do in that situation but I digress. Anyways, I'm getting away from your post, I thought Foote was always all right but I don't see him being as good (even though he's quote a few years younger) better than Farrior at the moment. I want Stevenson Sylvester take over Farrior but if my memory serves me right (and I doubt that it does, heh) I don't remember him getting on to the field all that much. Anyways, if Farrior doesn't get cut I hope to see Sylvester play more snaps.

But, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, though, we have the best LB core in the NFL :drink:

StainlessStill
08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I actually don't see any cuts coming. Maybe restructing, but I don't think Clark is referencing guys being fired. I think it's more towards the NFL, CBA and Goodell.

As far as Farrior, he's the emotional leader on our defense. He had that one down year in '09, but who didn't? Farrior had a pretty solid season last year. He shows no signs of laying down or slowing down. He is needed as a rock as our staple middle backer. That monster Timmons will take care of the rest.

steeltheone
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I actually don't see any cuts coming. Maybe restructing, but I don't think Clark is referencing guys being fired. I think it's more towards the NFL, CBA and Goodell.

As far as Farrior, he's the emotional leader on our defense. He had that one down year in '09, but who didn't? Farrior had a pretty solid season last year. He shows no signs of laying down or slowing down. He is needed as a rock as our staple middle backer. That monster Timmons will take care of the rest.

He is still ok at run support,,,Just can't cover anymore

finesward
08-03-2011, 10:33 PM
He is still ok at run support,,,Just can't cover anymore

To be fair to Farrior, I don't think he ever really could... :chuckle:

As much as I'd like to see Timmons more I think he is a bit hand cuffed by playing with Farrior. When he runs the stunts to get after the QB, which he should be doing more imo, Farrior is usually left to cover the middle of the field or flats, which usually results in him being burned. If we had another athletic ILB that could hold his own in space we would be that much more versatile and dangerous. Question is do we have that player on our roster. Sylvester imo is still wayyyy to raw to be an every down player...but I think the athleticism is definitely there. I'm optimistic about where our LB's will be in a few years if we get wood locked up and worilds in @ harrisons spot. I would love for harrison to be there obviously but the age and back issue will run it's course by then. Hopefully worilds is as advertised.

Wallace108
08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Yep, I'm sticking with what I said earlier ... Ryan's tweet was about Goodell and the CBA. And as a sidenote, at this very moment, Ryan is currently my all-time favorite Steeler.
---------------------------------

LATROBE — Three weeks ago, it was James Harrison who ripped into NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Now it’s Ryan Clark’s turn.

In the August editions of Men’s Journal magazine, Harrison, the Steelers’ star linebacker called Goodell a “crook” and a “devil.”

On Wednesday, Clark blasted Goodell for his role in disciplining players for personal conduct code violations and hits during games that the league deems as excessively flagrant.

“How often did you hear (former commissioner) Paul Tagliabue’s name throughout the season?” said Clark, the Steelers’ player rep. “I think (Goodell has) decided to make himself a major part of this game. I don’t know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player. But he’s made himself the NFL.

“He is the most popular — or infamous — commissioner in sports right now. Maybe that’s what he wanted to be.”

Friday before the Steelers’ first camp practice, Harrison apologized for his remarks about Goodell.

Clark ripped into Goodell on Wednesday as he discussed the new collective bargaining agreement between owners and players which players have yet to ratify.

“A big issue for us is Roger Goodell having absolute control over the fines system, judge, jury and appeals,” Clark said. “For a lot of teams, it wouldn’t be as big a deal, but for us it is. We’re the team that gets fined the most and we play a brand of football that sometimes subjects us to his opinion.”

Clark is so emotional about the issue that he and Joe Bendel, a Pittsburgh radio talk show host, nearly came to blows Wednesday outside the St. Vincent College dining hall where the media conduct most of its interviews during camp.

Clark obviously didn’t like the line of Bendl’s questioning on the matter and the two had to be separated by a member of the Steelers’ communications department.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/clark-s-bark-steelers-rep-still-has-goodell-issues/article_f3404c1e-ba43-5039-b772-257da1f83da8.html

cloppbeast
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM

A voice of reason......

Reading Clark's tweet with no preconceptions, I wouldn't have thought he referred to somebody getting cut. His tweet is so general, I don't see how anybody can automatically assume he's talking about a big name not making the team.

It seems more reasonable to me he's talking about Goodell.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
No way it Farrior or Ward. Ward is probably in the best shape of his life and the knee should be better than new after all that dancing.

Foote brings nothing this year, last year they wanted some leadership along with El. We do not need that this year.
Smith, unfortunately a youth movement is occurring and spending that kind of dough isn't needed. Is he great, sure. Is he durable? No. With the long term deals we need to make to secure the future. The past needs to go.

Also, I would like to see Asante Samuals get pried away from the Eagles. With the cost savings we could easily slide him in with a restructured deal in a trade.