PDA

View Full Version : What makes you a "Real Steeler Fan"??

ebsteelers
08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
You enjoy the real Steelers? How many games have you been to? Ever
have season tickets? Ever have tickets for the luxury box seats?

thats what dumper things makes you a real fan.

i disagree 1000%.

im wondering what steeler fever thinks makes you a real fan?

i'd say number 1) knowing the history and tradition of the steelers, and Rooney family

if your taking in a game, 2) going in the cold, windy, snow, how football is suppose to be played, no fancy luxury box seats, that a majority of cant afford, and if even if we could wouldnt want to.

3) bleeding black and gold,

there obviously hundreds of things, just wondering what everyone else thinks.

so what else makes you a "real steeler fan"?

stb_steeler
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
With the way things are today, Layoffs, closings, economy, just being able to stand out at the gate would be a luxury to me about now!

ETL
08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
knowing who Weegie Thompson is

StainlessStill
08-03-2011, 09:35 PM

i disagree 1000%.

i'd say number 1) knowing the history and tradition of the steelers, and Rooney family

if your taking in a game, 2) going in the cold, windy, snow, how football is suppose to be played, no fancy luxury box seats, that a majority of cant afford, and if even if we could wouldnt want to.

Wow, it's a number of things for me.

I've seen my father work for every single last tiny little itsy bitsy crumb we've ever had in our house. I've seen him go to work through 16 hour shifts at Steel Mills with bronchitis, fevers, banged up knees and broken bones. Nothing ever stopped him from going to work to provide.

I'm so proud to be from a city like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh represents the working blue collar man like my father and the pride in our football team represents who we are as a city.

When Steelers Sundays come around, our world inside our family stops. The unexplained nature of a Steelers win or loss determines my mood for my week, Monday through Friday. When the team loses, all of Pittsburgh loses.

The Steelers bring my family together and the relationships that stem from a Steelers victory sure is incredible when you throw away the harms and how tiring this world can be.

Every Steelers sack that pummels a quarterback into the dirt represents how hard we tackle our pay-check to pay-check living.

Every touchdown we score represents Pittsburgh in all our accomplishments we succeeded in everyday work life to put food on the table for our family.

And every bruising run from our style of our grind it out running back represent the never say die attitude of a Pittsburgher.

IMHO, we are all Pittsburgh Steelers. We represent the hard working man and woman, past and present. No other teams fans are Colts. No other teams fans are Eagles. No other teams fans are Rams. No other teams fans are Ravens.

We all are Steelers. That's why I'm a diehard.

Wallace108
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM
knowing who Weegie Thompson is

:sofunny:

I guess what makes you a real Steelers fan is the same thing that makes you a real fan of any team ... if you watch and care about them even when they suffer through losing seasons. It's easy to be a fan of a team when they're good and winning all the time. But if you remain a fan, watching and caring, year after year of losing seasons ... then you're a real fan. But if you stop watching and caring after your team strings together numerous losing or sub-par seasons, then you're not a real fan.

Younger Steelers fans haven't had to endure this yet. But if you're an older Steelers fan and continued to bleed Black and Gold throughout the 80s and early 90s, then you're a real Steelers fan.

The Lakelander
08-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Real Steelers fans have fond memories of Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister and Neil O'Donnell. :steelersflag:

finesward
08-04-2011, 01:31 AM

i disagree 1000%.

Don't mind him. Vulcans will never understand the emotions that go along with being a real steelers fan. To them football is all about logic, and signing free agents because it makes your team better on paper. Remove the human side and use sound business decisions to win a championship. If somehow his vulcan counterparts could infiltrate an NFL franchise like the Steelers they would be unstoppable. Dynasty would not begin to describe the dominance exhibited with such a brilliant mind at the helm. All teams would shiver at the thought of playing against a team captained by such raw exuberance, such pure intelligence....there would be no stopping them. BUT... thank goodness we live in reality where guys like thumper will NEVER run a professional football team...oh wait, maybe dan snyder and jerry jones (and most recently Jeff Lurie and Woody Johnson) are secretly part of the vulcan empire that will reign down upon the NFL with a wrath that rivals Kahn's.

Wait that sounds an awful lot like Kuhn.... could he be the F/A signing that pushes us into dominance mode for the next millennium? :sofunny:

:wave: :hatsoff:

Stainless Still :bowdown: great post

OX1947
08-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Super Bowl XXX still bothers me.

LVSteelersfan
08-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Remembering how bad the Steelers were in 1969 when I first started watching them and loving that smash them in the mouth style of football. They sucked but everyone knew they were going to beat the crap out of the other team. And then the drafts that Chuck Knoll pulled off and the Immaculate Reception still etched in my memory as a teen that turned the Steelers into a legitimate contender for years to come. When they started losing in the 80s and 90s, I lived and breathed the Steelers and suffered with every loss and the mediocre QBs we had to endure. But that didn't matter because Black and Gold is the "ONLY TEAM". I get bored watching other teams play and the Steelers are not on. Steelers bye week seems to go on FOREVER.

ricksteelers55
08-04-2011, 02:34 AM
The fact that even though I live in Montreal and I'm surrounded by dumb pats and bills fans....I still feel like home when I go to Pittsburgh each year to watch the Steelers at Heinz Field.(been doing that for 7 years now)

also last year I went to the Raymond James Stadium for the game between the Steelers and Bucs with my friend who is a Bucs fan

meanfish
08-04-2011, 03:36 AM

Amen... and this last one's probably gonna creep in there too.

Rick5895
08-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Not being from the 'Burgh ( I am from southern Ontario) for me being a true Steelers fan is sticking with them no matter what. I started cheering for them when I was 10 (1972) and when I started playing football in high school I couldn't get enough of them ( they made me a MLB and gave me #58). I get to at least 1 game per year, whether or not I can afford it, my 18 year old son has only been allowed to cheer for the Steelers and he is a rabid as I. I remember the lean years, the 51-0 loss to the Browns and never would have thought to cheer for another team.
A true Steeler fan can have the passion they feel rub off on other people in there lives so that they instantly become Steelers fans too.
and finally, a true Steeler fan, especially this time of year, looks at the team positively NO MATTER WHAT!!

I can't wait until we hoist our 7th Lombardi at the end of this year !!!

:tt::tt04::tt02::helmet:

ebsteelers
08-04-2011, 08:55 AM
all these responds are getting me fired up, ready to pop someone in the mouth.

Go Steelers!!! Revin for Seven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stickin with the team through the good and bad makes you a real steeler fan. i really dont think going to a game makes you a true Steeler fan as its not always realistic in this current world for people to be going to games.

im also not from pittsburgh. im only in my 20's so obviously i wasnt around for the poor teams of the 60s and dont remember the teams of the 80s, but through my pops, I've learned about them. Now every Sunday him and myself watch them together. Its a true joy to be a Steeler fan...

Super Bowl XXX is one of the first Super Bowls I remember :(
all the home AFC title loses, really hurt, and Super Bowl XLV is what really hurts, not just cause its most recently but there was so many chances to win

here we go steelers! here we go!!

steelax04
08-04-2011, 08:58 AM

This...

ebsteelers
08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
which Super Bowl lose bothers people more?

might need to make a new thread for that

steelax04
08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
which Super Bowl lose bothers people more?

might need to make a new thread for that

Losing to Dallas always hurts... losing to Green Bay is like losing to an organization much like the Steelers. The GB loss, even though it's fresh, still doesn't bother me as much as losing to the damn Cowboys.

BIGNASTY91
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD!!!! I too am not from the burgh. Am in NC. I grew up pulling for the steelers and will never change! :tt03: When the steelers play my world stops, and when they lose it just puts me in a bad mood, but win or lose ill always wear my colors and cheer for them. I recently got married and my wife ( and her whole family) are diehard Redskins fans! After 4 years of getting together every sunday they now see what steeler nation stands for and they love it! :tt04: My little nephew just turned two and of cousre they buy him all kinds of skins stuff, but for christmas i got him a polamalu jersey and a terrible toddler towel!!! he wants to wear that every sunday, and it didnt take him long to learn how to swing that towel ( id be lying if said it didnt bring a tear to my eye seeing a new young steeler in the making) Win or lose i so ready for this season to start, and even more ready to travel to pittsburgh on Dec. 4th (my birthday) for the Bungholes game. It will be my first steelers game and i cant wait!!! :tt04: :drink: :tt02:

MDSteel15
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Real Steelers fans have fond memories of Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister and Neil O'Donnell. :steelersflag:

Bam Morris, Eric Greene, Ernest Jackson, Tim Worley, Walter Ambercombie, Dwight Stone, Frank Pollard, Meril Hoge, David Woodley, Keith Willis, Willie Williams, Deon Figures..............................

Buddha Bus
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Living in the heart of Ratbird Country and proudly wearing my Steelers gear around while having to listen to every one of these idiots tell me how bad the Steelers suck and how the Ravens are gonna kill us every game. I then also have to endure the many lame-ass excuses as to why they rarely do actually beat us. It truly tests your mettle as a fan as well as your gag reflex. :chuckle:

55BaileyFan
08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
It has nothing to do with money or going to games.

Being a Steelers fan means that you have been and always will be supportive of the black and gold. Being a Steelers fan is being in love with everything about the team...the colors, the office, the players, hell the seats and the signs at the stadium. Its knowing who players are even when other "fans" don't know who they are. It is like a soul mate...but in football terms.

stb_steeler
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Now those were the days........I bet most bailed ship back in those days...:wink02:

dcbng
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Knowing history is important, like knowing there was a Bradshaw on the team befor Terry. "Hey diddle diddle, Rogele up the middle". Telling the joke about Gabes car being fixed, while suffering thru the 80's but never giving up.
Kent Nix and Bill Nelson in the 60's, and watching the browns winning.

I may live in DC, but my heart will always be Black and Gold.

caplovestroyp43
08-04-2011, 11:33 PM
The fact that I have been a fan of the Steel since I was old enough to understand football. I have never loved a team more than Pittsburgh and I never will.

The fact that I don't care where we are in the standings. Up, down, inbetween, headed toward the toilet...they are still MY team and they always will be MY team.

The fact that I could not love those boys anymore than if I were married to them! My love runs so deep for them sometimes it actually scares me!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Now those were the days........I bet most bailed ship back in those days...:wink02:

I actually liked Kordell and Bubby,
:chuckle:

tucker6
08-05-2011, 12:43 PM

I have memories of O'Donnell, but they ain't fond. I knew he'd screw the pooch and he did. Only upset that he made me watch 59 minutes before screwing up.

I started loving the Steelers in 1971 through thick and thin. I didn't and don't love every player who ever played for the Steelers, but I love the Steelers as an ideal of what a franchise should be. The Rooney's are a class act, even if some of the players are not. The Steelers are a great team, even if some of the years they are not. Over time, it doesn't matter what happens with individual players or seasons, it's the legacy of the Rooneys, hard hitting football, and knowledgable and passionate fans that counts. That's what non-Steeler fans think about when you mention the Steelers, and that's not a bad way to be remembered.

If that's how you like your football, then you're a Steeler fan.

tucker6
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Amen... and this last one's probably gonna creep in there too.

The team played well enough to win XXX. The team did not play well last year, and honestly didn't deserve to win (even though I would have loved it if they did) last year. The worst game they played all season on both sides of the ball.

thumper
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM

i disagree 1000%.

Your entire premise is wrong, as is your attempt at using the
English language. You questioned my fan fervor, and I responded
with questions of my own. But I put my level of being a Steeler zealot
up there with most, just falling short of taking it to the (excessive) level of being
buried with Steeler regalia.

Being a "real fan" means truly _knowing_ the team well, both past
and present. (But I do not believe in the need to know about the team
in terms of the non-modern era. I really don't care what the team did
when the sport was not even the same as the modern version, or the
league had so few teams, or the "NFL" did not include the AFC. I just
don't care. And any videos covering the pre-70s on TV causes me to
change the channel. I just am not interested.)

As far as "real fans" who have never seen a live game, I find it hard
to believe you can be as much a zealot having never seen the team
live, especially a game in Pgh. You get an entirely new, bolstered level
of fervor from being at a live game. You don't have to go to 100s or even
dozens of games, but you get a whole new perspective from even being
to 1 game. And, no, you don't have to be Thurston B. Howell, III to afford
attending a Steelers game. Sure, if you live far away from Pgh, it makes
attending a game more expensive and difficult. But I don't know how many
people, who have the means to be on the Internet, who truly can't afford to
ever go to any Steeler game. I mean, not even one? For real? Even those
living all the way on the west coast can still find a way to visit Pgh for once.

Try this quiz, one in which I came up with right off the top of my head.
If you can answer most of these, you must be a pretty ardent fan.

1. What Steelers' QB was featured on the cove of Sports Illustrated with
the head of "The Bomb is back in Pgh?"

2. Who made a game saving tackle on their starting HB beind
the LOS in Houston during the playoffs in the early 80s?

3. What did Chuck Noll say about what players need to do after their
football career is over?

4. What Oiler's back up QB beat us in the early 90s, in Houston?

5. In what way did a Bronco's defender mispronounce Merril Hoge's name
in the play offs?

6. Since 1980, who were the handful of first round picks who were
inarguably busts for the Steelers?

7. Name the top 2 most-productive running backs in team history.

8. Where did Yancy Thigpen go after his time with Pgh? How did he do?

9. Who was the only first-round Steelers draft pick from Baylor?

10. Who is the all-time leader at WR for Pgh?

11. Who was the LB who held out, before free agency even existed,
and what team did he end up on after Pgh?

12. What were the two towns that Ben was accused for sexual assault?
(Actually, I don't think knowing this makes you a fan, to be honest.)

13. What was Bill Cowher's record in his first year?

14. What surprise play did Cowher use vs. the Oilers in his first game?

15. What two running backs from Philly did Pgh acquire since the 80s?
Which one was the more productive of the two?

16. What two teams did Tomlin coach before coming to Pgh? What
were his positions?

17. What Steeler could have competed in world class hurdle sprints?

18. Who was the largest LB in team history?

19. What positions did Hines Ward play in college? For what team?

20. How tall was Weegie Thompson?

21. What happened in the last play of the 1995 AFCC game?

22. What happened to Pgh in Cowher's first AFCC game?

23. What is the symbol called on the side of the Steeler logo?

24. Why is the logo only on one side of the helmet?

25. What was the season-leading rusher for Pgh who's first name was Frankie?
(Not "Franco")

26. What Steeler CB was so physical that the NFL changed coverage rules?

27. What bad decision did Eric Green make on the eve of the AFCC game
vs. San Diego?

28. Who was the QB playing for Indy vs. Pgh in the 1995 AFCC game? What
famous RB was out for the game for Indy?

29. What was the name of the mammoth back for Cinci who ran over Jack
Lambert?

30. What back ran over Willie gay, in an embarrassing manner?

31. Where did Big Ben go to college?

32. What former college teammate/roommate did Troy Polamalu run over?

33. Name the starting middle linebackers since 1990 through present day.

34. What did the site of Pgh's training camp _used_ to be known for other
than being the site of Steelers' camp? What happened to it?

I could go on forever, but the swimming pool is calling my name.

I know you can cheat and look this stuff up. But a _real_ fan wouldn't need
to.

finesward
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Wow, thanks for defining what makes you a "real" pretentious fan.

My mother has never been to a game, and if you tried to tell me, or anyone who knows her, that she isn't a real fan we would laugh in your face and tell you to shove your fervor where the sun don't shine.

Some fans just can't or would rather not go to a live game, who are you to judge whether they are "real fans" or not? Be careful stepping off that pedestal into the pool, it's a steep drop

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Wow, thanks for defining what makes you a "real" pretentious fan.

My mother has never been to a game, and if you tried to tell me, or anyone who knows her, that she isn't a real fan we would laugh in your face and tell you to shove your fervor where the sun don't shine.

Some fans just can't or would rather not go to a live game, who are you to judge whether they are "real fans" or not? Be careful stepping off that pedestal into the pool, it's a steep drop

no point any more with him,

lol try this quiz i madee up off the top of my head. 30 questions long, im sure you made it up yourself

means to the internet? compared to going to a game price wise?

internet is 20 bucks a month, going to a game cost me almost 500 between tickets, gas, foods, etc..

seems like a reach on that one.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
up there with most, just falling short of taking it to the (excessive) level of being

living all the way on the west coast can still find a way to visit Pgh for once.

the head of "The Bomb is back in Pgh?"

the LOS in Houston during the playoffs in the early 80s?

football career is over?

in the play offs?

inarguably busts for the Steelers?

7. Name the top 2 most-productive running backs in team history.

8. Where did Yancy Thigpen go after his time with Pgh? How did he do?

9. Who was the only first-round Steelers draft pick from Baylor?

10. Who is the all-time leader at WR for Pgh?

and what team did he end up on after Pgh?

Which one was the more productive of the two?

were his positions?

17. What Steeler could have competed in world class hurdle sprints?

18. Who was the largest LB in team history?

19. What positions did Hines Ward play in college? For what team?

20. How tall was Weegie Thompson?

21. What happened in the last play of the 1995 AFCC game?

22. What happened to Pgh in Cowher's first AFCC game?

23. What is the symbol called on the side of the Steeler logo?

24. Why is the logo only on one side of the helmet?

(Not "Franco")

vs. San Diego?

famous RB was out for the game for Indy?

Lambert?

31. Where did Big Ben go to college?

32. What former college teammate/roommate did Troy Polamalu run over?

than being the site of Steelers' camp? What happened to it?

I could go on forever, but the swimming pool is calling my name.

to.
Dumper,

And I could careless, how i use the english lanuage, seems to get your panties in a real bunch, on an internet forum...

You were the one who brought it up "the real fan", in the Plax thread , you were the one who mentioned the luxury box seats. Not Me. And your the one complaining and calling the front office cheap. A "REAL FAN" doesnt question the front office of a team that has been to the Super Bowl 3 out of the last 5 years.

i simply asked everyone else what they think, and it clearly bothers you that no one thinks going to a game and sitting in box seats makes you more of a fan than the rest of us.

pancake
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM

the head of "The Bomb is back in Pgh?" Bubby Bristor

the LOS in Houston during the playoffs in the early 80s? Not sure about this one, I was really young.

football career is over? Become actors?

Can't remember, but I do remember Warren Moon getting hurt and thinking we were going to stomp the Oilers"

in the play offs? Can't remember, but I do remember Hoge having 100 yards rushing at halftime.

inarguably busts for the Steelers? Huey Richardson, Stephenson (the big RT, Worley, Figures, Abercrombie

7. Name the top 2 most-productive running backs in team history. Harris and Bettis

8. Where did Yancy Thigpen go after his time with Pgh? How did he do? Tennessee and free agent.

9. Who was the only first-round Steelers draft pick from Baylor? Walter Abercrombie

10. Who is the all-time leader at WR for Pgh? Hines Ward

and what team did he end up on after Pgh? Merriweather

The states Georgia and Nevada

11-5

Fake punt, I'm trying to remember who was the upback who ran it.

Which one was the more productive of the two? "Staley and I think Ernest Jackson, not for sure on this one.

were his positions? DB coach in Tampa and DC in Minn

17. What Steeler could have competed in world class hurdle sprints? Dwight Stone?

18. Who was the largest LB in team history? Levon Kirkland #99

19. What positions did Hines Ward play in college? For what team? Georgia - RB, QB and WR

20. How tall was Weegie Thompson? " I think he was a TE, maybe a WR, and I will guess 6"4?

21. What happened in the last play of the 1995 AFCC game? Incomplete to barry foster, that is mean asking this question... lol

22. What happened to Pgh in Cowher's first AFCC game? Lost to SD, even though we dominated the game. Kicking FG... :doh:

23. What is the symbol called on the side of the Steeler logo? Hypocycloid

24. Why is the logo only on one side of the helmet? I think it was something they did at first, and decided to stick with it. I'm not sure, I need to know this... lol

(Not "Franco") No clue

Blount

vs. San Diego? I don't remember this.

famous RB was out for the game for Indy? Faulk was out, not sure who replaced him.

Lambert? Pete Johnson?

AP

31. Where did Big Ben go to college? Miami Ohio

32. What former college teammate/roommate did Troy Polamalu run over? Palmer

Wow, this will hurt my brain. Jerry Osouski (sp), Kirkland, Little, Hinkle, Chad Brown, farrior, Foot, Timmons, the guy from the Rams, maybe Merriweather (might have been outside), K Bell still have his jersey and need to put Worilds name on it. lol, H Nickerson (sp), E Holmes... I know that I am leaving out someone that I will kick myself for...

than being the site of Steelers' camp? What happened to it? Not sure I understand this question.

I could go on forever, but the swimming pool is calling my name. This was fun... lol

to.

Lets see how I did...

Danny136200
08-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't beleive knowing the history of the team is vital to being a "real fan". But appreciating past legends is something fans should want to do. I also dont think attending games should constitute as being a "real fan". All you have to do to be a fan of a team is cheer them on whether they are 1-15 or 13-3 and prime for a deep playoff run. Cheering them on through thick and thin makes you a fan in my eyes. Just beig there, waving your terrible towel every Sunday(or Monday, or thursday, or Saturday).
I never like judging ones fandom because you don't know how big a fan they really are. In my eyes every single on of you crazies are big fans to me, whether you never went to Pittsburg or been to every single game since the team's inception. We all have differing opinions about what the team should or should not do. But I think we are all fans of this amazing team

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I considered myself a real fan, before I ever attended a game. I just love this team...

thumper
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Lets see how I did...

OK, since you made the effort.

the head of "The Bomb is back in Pgh?" Bubby Bristor -----

Correct. Looking back, SI really over-valued how Bubby was going to
do. In hindsight, did he deserve to be on the cover? No. But, coming
off the success in the 70s, even a little hope at QB would make the
media over-react to just a little success from Bubby.

2. Who made a game saving tackle on their starting HB behind
the LOS in Houston during the playoffs in the early 80s? Not sure about this one, I was really young. -----------Rod Woodson. He made an all-out, body sell-out
tackle on Rozier, a good running back.

football career is over? Become actors? - No, "get on with life's work."

Can't remember, but I do remember Warren Moon getting hurt and thinking we were going to stomp the Oilers" ------I thought the same thing and even got in a debate
with a friend who said, "No way does Pgh win that game in Houston. I don't
care if their back up QB is playing." I was wrong. Cody Carlson killed us.

in the play offs? Can't remember, but I do remember Hoge having 100 yards rushing at halftime. -------------- Merril was ripping it up. One guy said "We have to stop that
Hoage (like "ho" instead of "ha.") A teammate said, "It's Hoge" and the other said, "I don't care how you say his name."

inarguably busts for the Steelers? Huey Richardson, Stephenson (the big RT, Worley, Figures, Abercrombie -----------I agree, but some would argue Figures and Abercrombie don't belong on list since they provided __some__ production and were on the team for years. Busts are usually gone within 2 years. Others, including me, would want to add Kendell Simmons, Troy Edwards, Aaron Jones, Darryl Sims, John Reinstra and Mark Malone.

7. Name the top 2 most-productive running backs in team history. Harris and Bettis
---yep

8. Where did Yancy Thigpen go after his time with Pgh? How did he do? Tennessee and free agent. ---and he sucked for them. Huge waste of $

9. Who was the only first-round Steelers draft pick from Baylor? Walter Abercrombie
---yep

10. Who is the all-time leader at WR for Pgh? Hines Ward ---yep

and what team did he end up on after Pgh? Merriweather --yep

The states Georgia and Nevada

11-5 ----yes

Fake punt, I'm trying to remember who was the upback who ran it. --yea.
Wasn't it one of the thinner backs we had? From Miami or Leroy Thompson?

Which one was the more productive of the two? "Staley and I think Ernest Jackson, not for sure on this one. ----Good one. Ernest Jackson was actually a pretty good back but that team was very bad.

were his positions? DB coach in Tampa and DC in Minn ---bingo

17. What Steeler could have competed in world class hurdle sprints? Dwight Stone?

-----Woodson. I believe he ran track at Purdue and was world level.

18. Who was the largest LB in team history? Levon Kirkland #99 ---easy one

19. What positions did Hines Ward play in college? For what team? Georgia - RB, QB and WR ---bingo

20. How tall was Weegie Thompson? " I think he was a TE, maybe a WR, and I will guess 6"4? - WR and I believe he was 6-6

21. What happened in the last play of the 1995 AFCC game? Incomplete to barry foster, that is mean asking this question... lol ----I might be getting year wrong, you know how it is with the year of the season vs. the year the play offs and/or Super Bowl are played in. I meant the game vs. Indy. Oh, but you are right about the last play of the SD game. Seeing that made me sick for years.

22. What happened to Pgh in Cowher's first AFCC game? Lost to SD, even though we dominated the game. Kicking FG...

23. What is the symbol called on the side of the Steeler logo? Hypocycloid --yup

24. Why is the logo only on one side of the helmet? I think it was something they did at first, and decided to stick with it. I'm not sure, I need to know this... lol -----I don't know if it's just urban legend, but I heard they put it only on one side because they didn't know if they were going to like it or not, just to try it. But after a while, they decided to just keep it on one side since it became tradition, but that was not the original plan.

(Not "Franco") No clue -- Frankie Pollard. Underrated.

Blount ---yup and that's saying something

vs. San Diego? I don't remember this. --- supposedly through a pretty wild party. THIS before they won the game, obviously.

famous RB was out for the game for Indy? Faulk was out, not sure who replaced him. ---and the QB?

Lambert? Pete Johnson? ---yes

AP ---yes

31. Where did Big Ben go to college? Miami Ohio ----yes

32. What former college teammate/roommate did Troy Polamalu run over? Palmer
----yep

Wow, this will hurt my brain. Jerry Osouski (sp), Kirkland, Little, Hinkle, Chad Brown, farrior, Foot, Timmons, the guy from the Rams, maybe Merriweather (might have been outside), K Bell still have his jersey and need to put Worilds name on it. lol, H Nickerson (sp), E Holmes... I know that I am leaving out someone that I will kick myself for...

-------------------Greene was OLB. So was Merriweather. Hinkle was OLB. Excellent job

than being the site of Steelers' camp? What happened to it? Not sure I understand this question. -----Town that Rolling Rock was brewed. It got bought and is now brewed else where.

I could go on forever, but the swimming pool is calling my name. This was fun... lol

If you didn't cheat, you did quite well.

You are a fan even if you haven't gone to a game!

thumper
08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't beleive knowing the history of the team is vital to being a "real fan". But appreciating past legends is something fans should want to do. I also dont think attending games should constitute as being a "real fan". All you have to do to be a fan of a team is cheer them on whether they are 1-15 or 13-3 and prime for a deep playoff run. Cheering them on through thick and thin makes you a fan in my eyes. Just beig there, waving your terrible towel every Sunday(or Monday, or thursday, or Saturday).
I never like judging ones fandom because you don't know how big a fan they really are. In my eyes every single on of you crazies are big fans to me, whether you never went to Pittsburg or been to every single game since the team's inception. We all have differing opinions about what the team should or should not do. But I think we are all fans of this amazing team

Understood, but if someone claims to be a fan and can't even tell you
anything about the players, who played what position, in at least the
recent history, then they aren't a fan. Not a real one. You realize what
players played because YOU CARE enough to naturally know it. If
you don't even know about the players, how much can you possibly care?
Some would say if you don't know where a player played in college or
how they were acquired by the team, you aren't a real fan. I am not
even going that far.

SteelCityMom
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
famous RB was out for the game for Indy? Faulk was out, not sure who replaced him. ---and the QB?

I know this one...was the same year I started to really get into the Steelers beyond occasionally watching them. Jim Harbaugh.

I'd answer some other ones...but that would REALLY be cheating. :chuckle:

I don't know some of them anyway...wasn't born till '80 and a lot of that is before my time. Were my Dad and Grandpa still alive though, they would have smoked that thing lol.

pancake
08-05-2011, 06:05 PM
No, I didn't cheat. That is why some of the spelling sucked...lol I like the challange of quizes.

1. I had the Sporting new (I think), that had Bubby on the cover. It said something about he wants to be the best ever...

2. You said early 80's and Woodson was drafted in 87, I think.

6. I am kicking myself over this one. Aaron Jones went to EKU, as I did. I was so excited we drafted him. At least John Jackson was a stud from EKU...

14. I don't think it was Thompson, I think he was drafted a year or two later. I was thinking a FB, but could be wrong.

17. I knew that, but Dwight "hands of " Stone popped in my head. I was thinking he had world class speed, or that could be just Myron Cope talking...lol

21... Oh, I got you now on this one. The hailmary drop, that looked like he caught it at first. There was no replay at that time, I think it came the next year.

25. How did I forget # 30 Frank Pollard

27. I don't remember this.

28. Harbaugh, who is now the coach of the 49'ers.

29. Don't remember this play, but do remember Pete Johnson fat butt.

33. I looked and Merriweather was gone in 87, so I really messed that one up. I never said Greene, but I thought Hinkle was ILB, so I screwd that one up too.
__ Who is the LB from the Rams we had? He had the saving tackle in the SB for the Rams against the Titans.

34. I understand now, you could also say Arnold Palmer too.

The JoKeR
08-05-2011, 06:21 PM
When you play fantasy football and draft all Steelers players, even though you know that you're not going to get the huge numbers from the offense (and that's no offense to our offense...just a fact that it's our defense we're known for). I have one tattoo...and it's the steelers logo with black and gold "blood" to represent that I bleed black and gold. I don't judge people who say they are Steelers fans, but after talking football with them for a few minutes, it's easy to get a feel as to what kind of fan they actually are.

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
No, I didn't cheat. That is why some of the spelling sucked...lol I like the challange of quizes.

1. I had the Sporting new (I think), that had Bubby on the cover. It said something about he wants to be the best ever...

Yea, I recall Bubby saying all he needed to do was up his completion
% a few points. Mean while, he would have need a brain transplant
to become a good QB, but he couldn't have known that. Bubby was
physically talented, but just dimmer than a $2 flashlight with 3-year-old
batteries. He did look good playing for Denver that season, but he
quickly came back to earth. One of my favorite "mic" scenes from
Denver was Shannahan on the sidelines, asking Bubby "Why didn't
you throw the ball to him? He was wide open. Why would you run instead?"
And Bubby had no answer.

2. You said early 80's and Woodson was drafted in 87, I think.

You are right. 87 is NOT early 80's.

6. I am kicking myself over this one. Aaron Jones went to EKU, as I did. I was so excited we drafted him. At least John Jackson was a stud from EKU...

We had high hopes for Aaron. Just wasn't as good as advertised.

14. I don't think it was Thompson, I think he was drafted a year or two later. I was thinking a FB, but could be wrong.

Only FB on roster was Hoge. Leroy Thompson was on the team that year. I get
him mixed up with Warren Williams. Both were kind of slender backs. LT
was from PSU, WW from Miami.

17. I knew that, but Dwight "hands of " Stone popped in my head. I was thinking he had world class speed, or that could be just Myron Cope talking...lol

No, he did have crazy jets, but truly hands of stone. Didn't he have like 2
TDs that were 90+ yards and barely anything else?

21... Oh, I got you now on this one. The hailmary drop, that looked like he caught it at first. There was no replay at that time, I think it came the next year.

I had seat in that endzone but the play was too far underneath me so I couldn't
see what happened live. When the Colt stood up like he caught it, the entire
stadium went dead silent. And it wasn't an immediate group understanding
that he didn't catch it and Pgh won. It was like a 15-30 second process before
the crowd knew. Slowly the cheers came, but it didn't really sink in until they
showed Cowher with a huge grin and the body language of the players. Added
to the emotion was that we lost to SD the season before but we were clearly
the best team in the AFC and should have never lost that game. Then in comes
Indy, who was barely a .500 team (9-7?) and had injuries to many of their
best players - including Faulk and their best WR. But Indy stayed in the game the
whole time and even appeared to be the likely winner until Pgh's last drive. Harbaugh just wouldn't stop fighting. That was the year he earned the moniker,
"Capt. Comeback." He almost did it again. Even though we lost that Super Bowl
the the more-talented Cowboys, losing that AFCC game would have been
too much to stomach.

25. How did I forget # 30 Frank Pollard

Always liked Frankie

29. Don't remember this play, but do remember Pete Johnson fat butt.

Pete was like 270 lbs, back then. But backs that big only have a few
good season, with Bettis being a huge exception. No back his size had
his longevity. No one was even close.

33. I looked and Merriweather was gone in 87, so I really messed that one up. I never said Greene, but I thought Hinkle was ILB, so I screwd that one up too.
__ Who is the LB from the Rams we had? He had the saving tackle in the SB for the Rams against the Titans.

Oh that guy. He never did anything with us. Mike Jones, I think. I don't
know if he even started for us.

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
When you play fantasy football and draft all Steelers players, even though you know that you're not going to get the huge numbers from the offense (and that's no offense to our offense...just a fact that it's our defense we're known for). I have one tattoo...and it's the steelers logo with black and gold "blood" to represent that I bleed black and gold. I don't judge people who say they are Steelers fans, but after talking football with them for a few minutes, it's easy to get a feel as to what kind of fan they actually are.

To be fair, Pgh tends to have very few "fake fans" or "bandwagon fans"
but other teams sure do. Typically, if you call yourself a Steeler fans you
are a legit fan, from what I've seen. But Dallas fans are notorious weak
fans - so many only sport their colors when they are winning.

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I know this one...was the same year I started to really get into the Steelers beyond occasionally watching them. Jim Harbaugh.

I'd answer some other ones...but that would REALLY be cheating. :chuckle:

I don't know some of them anyway...wasn't born till '80 and a lot of that is before my time. Were my Dad and Grandpa still alive though, they would have smoked that thing lol.

Well, I can't say I know much about Pgh that happened before I was born either.
Then again, like I said, the pre AFC-inclusion NFL doesn't interest me at all.
I really just don't care. And probably only reason I know anything about 1970s
football is because of Pgh's amazing team and 4 Super Bowls. Other wise,
wouldn't interest me either.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
To be fair, Pgh tends to have very few "fake fans" or "bandwagon fans"
but other teams sure do. Typically, if you call yourself a Steeler fans you
are a legit fan, from what I've seen. But Dallas fans are notorious weak
fans - so many only sport their colors when they are winning.

pats, jets, are some others along with the cowgirls

#1LambertFan
08-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Nope, no "fond" memories left of the qb's that didn't quite fail but never succeeded in winning us a Lombardi

HAWK
08-08-2011, 11:34 PM
I care.

steveironcity
08-09-2011, 06:46 AM
I grew up in the south hills, and now live just east of Pittsburgh. Ive lived and breathed Steelers football my entrie 30 years of life. Plus I'm a steelworker, so i'm a "steeler" through and through. also, I know what the 3 colors of the Hypocyloids in the steelmark stand for.

theplatypus
08-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Loving the Steelers is what makes you a true Steelers fan. Any other barometer is just bs developed by someone with an overinflated ego.

thumper
08-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Loving the Steelers is what makes you a true Steelers fan. Any other barometer is just bs developed by someone with an overinflated ego.

If you can't name the players, you aren't a fan. How can you claim
to love something you don't even know? That is not possible.

Danny136200
08-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Knowing the players does not quantify being a fan. I mean, you, I and many others of this lovely message board will know most of the starting lineup, but the fan who just for the team, even if they are not having a good season, is still a fan in my eyes, even he or she only knows the quarterback for the team. And plus, with most teams there is alot of turnover with the players and such. Just being there, rooting for the team is what makes a fan, a fan

theplatypus
08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Do get enjoyment out of acting the fool or are you just a tool?

thumper
08-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Knowing the players does not quantify being a fan. I mean, you, I and many others of this lovely message board will know most of the starting lineup, but the fan who just for the team, even if they are not having a good season, is still a fan in my eyes, even he or she only knows the quarterback for the team. And plus, with most teams there is alot of turnover with the players and such. Just being there, rooting for the team is what makes a fan, a fan

Again though, with anything in life, you really can't love something
you don't know. You can be a "casual fan" if you want to say that, I guess.
But, for example. I can't name any players on the Pirates. I was slightly
pleasd when I saw they were winning. If they made the play offs I would
have rooted and even watched them (not the entire game but would have
checked in). And, in the process I would learn some of their players. But
do I consider myself a fan of the Pirates? No. Not at all.

thumper
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Do get enjoyment out of acting the fool or are you just a tool?

So, in your world, you can love things you don't know? Interesting. I don't
know how that is possible.

theplatypus
08-09-2011, 06:43 PM
So, in your world, you can love things you don't know? Interesting. I don't
know how that is possible.

HELLO, is there anyone in there? That's quite a leap you made there.

thumper
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
HELLO, is there anyone in there? That's quite a leap you made there.

If you don't know the players on the team YOU DON'T KNOW THE TEAM.

This is kindergarten level stuff.

theplatypus
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
If you don't know the players on the team YOU DON'T KNOW THE TEAM.

This is kindergarten level stuff.

You keep harping on this knowing names crap. The only assertion I've made is that lovign the Steelers is what makes you a true fan. Everything else is just BS that you've brought up in your kindergarten level games.

rich4eagle
08-09-2011, 11:37 PM

i disagree 1000%.

In stupid fandom I am not a fan..........but I go back to the fifties and worst franchise in football which I admired and to the Super Steelers and the Steel Curtain the best ever and the great rivalry with the Browns whom I also admire.........

thus, a real fan knows what it is about the team, like me, and wants them to win

the rest of the fan dictatorship can shove their rules of what makes a fan where the sun don't shine:tt04:

Lord of Lombardi
08-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Here are my top 3 reasons I am a true Steeler Fan:

1) I bleed black and gold

2) if we lose, life sucks as I know it, at least until next week when we get to smack the Ratbirds around again.

3) Telling Thumper to to stop teabagging himself and thinking he has any right to define what makes someone a Steeler fan.

There are different levels of fans just like there are different levels of light loafer larry's. To think I spent 8 long years in the Corps giving this guy / gal the freedom to knock fellow Steeler fans. I want to apologize on behalf on Dumper for he has clue nor class. But at least he knows how to be a Dolphin fan.

No self respecting Steeler fan would sign off a post with "The pool is calling me" Go swim with your dolphins boy.

Rick5895
08-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Everyone has there ideas of what makes a "true Fan" I read a book a couple of months ago called The Ones Who Hit the Hardest.
For a guy like me who isn't from Pittsburgh, but has love the Steelers for the past 38-40 years or so it was a great book. I also read Rooneys book as well. Great for those who want the history of the team.
I have already said earlier in this thread what I thbk makes me a true fan, but also a true fan wants to know as much of the history of this franchise as well (IMO) .

Looking forward to week one and the BBQing of the ratbirds!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt04:

ebsteelers
08-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Here are my top 3 reasons I am a true Steeler Fan:

1) I bleed black and gold

2) if we lose, life sucks as I know it, at least until next week when we get to smack the Ratbirds around again.

3) Telling Thumper to to stop teabagging himself and thinking he has any right to define what makes someone a Steeler fan.

There are different levels of fans just like there are different levels of light loafer larry's. To think I spent 8 long years in the Corps giving this guy / gal the freedom to knock fellow Steeler fans. I want to apologize on behalf on Dumper for he has clue nor class. But at least he knows how to be a Dolphin fan.

No self respecting Steeler fan would sign off a post with "The pool is calling me" Go swim with your dolphins boy.

:rofl:

Quasar
08-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Younger Steelers fans haven't had to endure this yet. But if you're an older Steelers fan and continued to bleed Black and Gold throughout the 80s and early 90s, then you're a real Steelers fan.

Early 90s? The Steelers won the division in 1992 and were the #1 seed in the playoffs. In 1990, they missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record, but had the #1 defense in the league. Even 1989 wasn't as bad as at first: after losing the first 2 games to the Browns and Bengals by a combined score of 91-10, the Steelers made the playoffs with a 9-7 record, and even defeated the Oilers.

1985-1988 were the worst years since the merger: a 4-year span when the Steelers did not make the playoffs.

kirklandrules
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Being a fan, to me, means thinking your team is going to win before every game begins. During the rough patches in the 80's, I still thought the Steelers would win each week. And when they were losing, I would "take my medicine" and continue to watch because a true fan isn't going to walk away from a chance to see them play.

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Being a fan, to me, means thinking your team is going to win before every game begins.

If you're a Redskin fan, some people call this delusion.

rich4eagle
08-22-2011, 09:31 PM

i disagree 1000%.

Never been to a Steeler home game. Know most of the stats going back to John Henry Johnson and Bobby Layne and Ernie Stuatner. Watched the Super Steelers the greatest teams ever feverishly. Been onboard ever since. Also, root for the Browns. I guess that makes me a real Steeler fan since I tried back in the day to wind in Myron Cope on the radio cruising the PA turnpike. If you do not agree that I am a true fan, you are not a true fan:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

BIGNASTY91
08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
If you're a Redskin fan, some people call this delusion.

That is a TRUE fan right there!!!!!! I have never seen anybody pull for a team the way my wife and her family do the redskins (other than us steeler fans)! No matter how bad it gets they still bleed burgandy and gold! Reminds me alot of how true we are to our steelers! Through thick and thin I will always support our steelers! :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

pancake
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
If you're on this site and not a troll, I'm guessing you're a true Steelers fan...

Buddha Bus
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
If you're on this site and not a troll, I'm guessing you're a true Steelers fan...

I guess that rules thumper out. :thmbup:

theplatypus
08-23-2011, 04:32 PM

lmao!

ebsteelers
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM

lmao you guys beat me to it...

dumper is gone everyone can drink to that

theplatypus
08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
lmao you guys beat me to it...

dumper is gone everyone can drink to that

:drink:

Buddha Bus
08-23-2011, 06:00 PM
:alcoholic:alcoholic:alcoholic:alcoholic:alcoholic :alcoholic

BKAnthem
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't blindly follow every move the FO makes...And my Franco Harris Jersey that got before they won super bowl 13 was my greatest Christmas present ever

Pittsburgh43
08-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Being a true fan is not about how much money you can dish out for the best seats, it's not about rolling up to the game in a flashy car, it has absolutely nothing to do with money.

Being a "real" Steelers fan is all about the passion that you have for this team. If you're a real Steelers fan, you live and die with this team. Never, not for one second, do you give up on the Pittsburgh Steelers. There may be rough times and there may be decisions that you disagree with, but you stick with them through thick and thin.

We've all had our ups & downs on this rollercoaster of life. We've had people walk out of our lives, we've moved to unfamiliar places, been surrounded by unfamiliar faces- the list goes on and on. But there's one face that we'll always be familiar with and that's the Pittsburgh Steelers logo. And if you're a Pittsburgher, there's solid ground that'll always welcome you back. And if you're not from the Burgh, we'll welcome you, too.

There's no place like home.

FanSince72
08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
To me, being a real fan is watching a game where we're getting our asses kicked and even though we're down by three TD's with 12 minutes left in the game, I won't turn off the game until the clock runs out.

Sometimes even I think I'm nuts for doing that but they're my team and if I turned the game off, I'd feel as if I were abandoning them and I simply can't do that.

mizzouristeeler
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
To me, being a real fan is watching a game where we're getting our asses kicked and even though we're down by three TD's with 12 minutes left in the game, I won't turn off the game until the clock runs out.

Sometimes even I think I'm nuts for doing that but they're my team and if I turned the game off, I'd feel as if I were abandoning them and I simply can't do that.

I watch every game to the end too. :tt:

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I watch every game to the end too. :tt:

How many people here threw in the towel last year when we fell apart against the Ravens?

BIGNASTY91
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
How many people here threw in the towel last year when we fell apart against the Ravens?

As worried as i was I sat right there while many others went outside to party! I knew in my heart they could pull it off, and if they couldnt, then i was gonna ride it out with em! Ive never been able to turn away from a game, no matter how nasty it gets! We celebrate together, and we cry together!!!!! :drink: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

ebsteelers
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

i was at the game... and i just looked at the game reporter... i cant believe how many people threw in the towel in the 2nd quarter... just go and look its crazy.

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
You're a real Steelers fan when your last memory of your grandmother was being with her when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL and she scarfs down 6 pieces of pizza, a dozen wings, half a bag of doritos and a half a box of Keebler's soft batch cookies. (And she was a petite woman who ate like a Rabbit) and then she passes away soon after. This was essentially her last meal and it was one hell of a meal I'll never forget.