PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Youth Showing Promise While Veterans Sit

pete74
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
The Steelers young guys are getting oppurtunities while veterans sit out with injuries and CBA hold ups. They are taking advantage of it. Many of these young guys look like they have the goods and are showing it to the coaches while they can. There are a few guys in particular who really are making names for themselves.

Baron Batch- This kid has showed up ready to play. He came in as a 7th round pick just looking to make the roster and he is surely making his presence felt. Batch was known as a pass catching third down type back when coming to the Steelers and looks like he will be able to hold down that position.

Batch had a good day in backs on backers drills (shown above). He was able to hold off guys like Jason Worilds and even slowed down James Harrison who gave the kid some love after the drill was over. He held his own and got big cheers from his peers for his effort.

Batch drew more yells from his teammates and the crowd as he made some stellar cuts yesterday in practice as well. He can catch. He can run. Most importantly he can block. He has third down back written all over him. This kid is has the potential to be a good one.

Curtis Brown- Brown is getting a shot right now to run with the first team. Ike Taylor is still out because of the CBA. Bryant McFadden, Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler have all been on and off with injuries and Brown has gotten a chance to show his stuff. And WOW does he look like the real deal. This is only practice but the kid looks great. If he hits the field and plays as well as he is in practice I can understand why we didnít draft anyone sooner at the position.

This kid is a pure cover guy. Look at his eyes in the picture above. This is not to claim he is a superstar but if you listen to most talent experts they always talk about Darrelle Revis and how his eyes never leave his Receivers midsection. This is where Brownís eyes always are. You can not go anywhere without your belly button. You can make as many head shakes and feet shuffles as you want but as a defender if you follow a guys midsection you can stay with him.

Brown can also tackle. He is exactly what the Steelers attempt to draft. Guys who can cover but is also willing to come up and hit in the running game. If what we are seeing now is shown on the field in preseason look for Brown to make a run at the Nickel Cornerback spot.

Keith Williams- The sixth round pick out of Nebraska is a mean, mauling SOB. This sounds familiar. Almost identical actually to another guy. Hmmmmm. Oh yeah Carl Nicks the All Pro guard out of Nebraska who we passed on for Tony Hills. Great decision. Offensive Linemen from Nebraska always seem to have this same demeanor. Williams definitely did not fall far from that tree.

He is in place at left guard for the time being while Chris Kemoeatu is hurt and Doug Legursky is out due to the CBA. Williams looks really good in the running game right now. His pass protection skills are average right now but very well can be improved upon. It is only week 1. He has very good potential.

There are others who are making waves but these three have stood out among the others. I didnít even mention first round pick Cameron Heyward. He has people in front of him so he is taking his time learning behind them. He is in a good spot right now. This looks to be another good draft class. There could be many contributors to this yearís team even without OTAís. Just think if these guys got to practice all summer

Wallabeast17
08-04-2011, 06:34 PM
That is very good news! Especially with brown and Williams. Everyone knows we need cb and ol help. And for batch, why did we bring back moore, to fair catch punts now that el is gone? Batch seems like he will be the go to guy on 3rd downs in the future and even this season!

pete74
08-04-2011, 06:39 PM
i heard good things about Williams from everyone. if he keeps this up he may be our starting guard very soon. as for Brown, i hope he can start as our nickel back and soon take over mcfaddens side and move mcfadden to nickel

ebsteelers
08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
i got pumped up just reading that...

big fan of baron batch!!!

Fire Arians
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
hopefully we have a draft that is much like last year's, where almost every draft pick was an instant contribution. if that happens i really like our chances this year. especially if our rookies at the db position can make any kind of positive impact

Rick5895
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Can't wait to see these guys in a preseason game.

tanda10506
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
That would be great if Brown comes out and plays like a pro, like how Pouncey did at center. McFadden gets burnt all the time and the sooner he is not a starting CB the better. I don't really understand Batch's role since Redman performed so well last year, not that I don't like him, I just don't see him as making much of a difference.

Rick5895
08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
That would be great if Brown comes out and plays like a pro, like how Pouncey did at center. McFadden gets burnt all the time and the sooner he is not a starting CB the better. I don't really understand Batch's role since Redman performed so well last year, not that I don't like him, I just don't see him as making much of a difference.

McFadden was hurt last year, but I would love to see Brown make hum a nickel back. I hope Batch performs so well he makes Moore expendable.

Wallabeast17
08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
i think batch takes moores spot as early as before week 1 vs the ravens. sounds crazy right? well he is younger, faster and already impressing the coaching staff. Moores role will be limited to punts with brown kinda like last year with el and brown. not that i dont like moore it's just i think batch will be decent enough to take his spot..maybe im wrong we will see after the pre season

steelax04
08-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Like the article said, this is only practice. However, I'd rather have tons of potential than a ho-hum showing by the new guys. If this translates over to game time, damn, they might not be as bad off as some Debbie-downers have been proclaiming all over this board.

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Our FO knows what they are doing, I am sure there will be some guys that actually play well in the games. I really want to see what Harvey, Batch and saunders can do in a game.

lnjoelle
08-05-2011, 08:48 AM
The downers must not have been watching the Steelers do their thing for the past 20 years, they almost always get it right, even though we may think they don't

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Our FO knows what they are doing, I am sure there will be some guys that actually play well in the games. I really want to see what Harvey, Batch and saunders can do in a game.

agreed, i think those can be late and undrafted gems,

really cant wait to see what curtis brown can do. if he can come in and play, moves mcfadden to nickel, dime to gay, then cornerback isnt so lousy, and maybe butler will get it going,

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
agreed, i think those can be late and undrafted gems,

really cant wait to see what curtis brown can do. if he can come in and play, moves mcfadden to nickel, dime to gay, then cornerback isnt so lousy, and maybe butler will get it going,

I think Brown is going to start by seasons end. We have lots of young CB's, it would be nice if one of them could excel at safety.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I think Brown is going to start by seasons end. We have lots of young CB's, it would be nice if one of them could excel at safety.

yes that would be a huge... cant butler play safety or cortez allen? i thought i read that somewhere.. I could be completely off so dont quote me on that

Wallabeast17
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM

maybe if brown is good enough to start at the #2 corner (which i doubt in his first year) we could expirement with bmac at saftey

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
You really think a rookie CB will start with the Steelers? Has that ever happened? I think Brown might at some point take over the nickel spot (though I doubt it), but it's all but guaranteed that he won't start this year. If anybody starts, it'll be either Gay or Lewis. Not saying either of them should, just saying that they have more of a chance of starting than Brown this year.

I know the Steelers were moving Butler around last year and that he can play safety. Don't know about Allen, but I kind of doubt it. He hasn't even been playing cornerback all that long, so I doubt they would be experimenting with him.

Fire Arians
08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Like the article said, this is only practice. However, I'd rather have tons of potential than a ho-hum showing by the new guys. If this translates over to game time, damn, they might not be as bad off as some Debbie-downers have been proclaiming all over this board.

i agree. good practice does translate to the game eventually. there's an age old saying 'how you practice is how you play'

3rdandlong
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't forget, we have Redman too. Tomlin should utilize him a lot more this year. The guy has proven that he can consistently get at least 4 yards a carry

Fire Arians
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/30/2144387/cb-curtis-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-texas-longhorns

here's a good article on curtis brown

kirklandrules
08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
i think batch takes moores spot as early as before week 1 vs the ravens. sounds crazy right? well he is younger, faster and already impressing the coaching staff. Moores role will be limited to punts with brown kinda like last year with el and brown. not that i dont like moore it's just i think batch will be decent enough to take his spot..maybe im wrong we will see after the pre season

Won't happen. There might have been a slim chance had there not been a lockout. But Moore is a savvy vet who understands his assignments. I'll root for the young Batch all day long, but not sure you want a raw talent that hasn't had time to get his responsibilities down pat blocking Ben's blindside against that Raven's defense. I think Moore is here this year. Dwyer is the guy that should be concerned.

pancake
08-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I love presaeson games, because of this. I love watching the young guys play. I'm excited about Brown.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Won't happen. There might have been a slim chance had there not been a lockout. But Moore is a savvy vet who understands his assignments. I'll root for the young Batch all day long, but not sure you want a raw talent that hasn't had time to get his responsibilities down pat blocking Ben's blindside against that Raven's defense. I think Moore is here this year. Dwyer is the guy that should be concerned.

Right, although I think they carry Batch this year, Moore will likely resume his role for one final year, and Dwyer will most likely be outside looking in. I do hope that he makes the practice squad at least and tries again next year.

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Right, although I think they carry Batch this year, Moore will likely resume his role for one final year, and Dwyer will most likely be outside looking in. I do hope that he makes the practice squad at least and tries again next year.

I heard that Dwyer was over weight coming in...

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Yeah, that's why most are predicting that he won't be on the roster this year. He really blew his shot, which is very disappointing. I think he still has some growing up to do though, which is why I hope he makes the practice squad and comes in next year more focused and understanding of what needs to be done. Moore will probably not be back next year so they could have a spot for him if he earns it I think.

Edit: Granted, they haven't even played a preseason game yet, we need to keep that in mind. A lot can still happen. Dwyer really showed a lot the last two preseason games to squeak onto the roster last year.

solardave
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=lnjoelle;934533]The downers must not have been watching the Steelers do their thing for the past 20 years, they almost always get it right, even though we may think they don't[/QUOTE

I've been a fan for 37 years and almost every year I wonder about at least one pick. More often than not he's the one that shines. Last I remember I was wondering why we picked Woodley when we already had Timmons. We know how that turned out. So I'm not so smart, I admit it. I've learned to suspect but not accuse. The FO knows what they're doing.

SteelCityMom
08-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm always excited about the younger guys.

You always want to have a veteran presence on the team...but the younger guys almost always work harder to prove themselves.

DanRooney
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=lnjoelle;934533]The downers must not have been watching the Steelers do their thing for the past 20 years, they almost always get it right, even though we may think they don't[/QUOTE

I've been a fan for 37 years and almost every year I wonder about at least one pick. More often than not he's the one that shines. Last I remember I was wondering why we picked Woodley when we already had Timmons. We know how that turned out. So I'm not so smart, I admit it. I've learned to suspect but not accuse. The FO knows what they're doing.

Because Porter (and soonafter Haggans) was leaving and Tomlin had no idea that Harrison was the monster he is.

pancake
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
When is our first preseason game?

Wallabeast17
08-07-2011, 11:08 PM
When is our first preseason game?

This friday the 12th i believe :tt02:

Fire Arians
08-08-2011, 01:24 AM

dwyer's gonna be cut to make way for byron batch!

theplatypus
08-08-2011, 05:20 AM

That is correct :tt:

Farrior_roirraW
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
dwyer's gonna be cut to make way for byron batch!

I hope so. Bacth, from what I'm hearing, sounds really great. :tt04:

thumper
08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Guy, every year we hear of "so and so looks awesome. Makes great cuts,
has amazing coverage skills, catches everything" and almost always the
rookies getting these accolades either don't make the team or we never
see them come regular season (See Butler last year). I take these kind
of reports with a grain of salt. They resigned Moore, I bet Batch doesn't
even make the team - but I hope I am wrong.

Fire Arians
08-08-2011, 12:33 PM

batch in 1 week has been getting more praise than dwyer in his first 2 years combined. I think if ANY rb gets cut, it's dwyer. i don't think him showing up to camp overweight is the kind of thing tomlin will put up with

ebsteelers
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Mr bundle of joy is back at it.. I dont think anyone here is saying Batch is gonna take over for mendy, but if they can find away to get him out there on special teams, and 3rd down back, i'd take that for a 7th rounder.

thumper
08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
batch in 1 week has been getting more praise than dwyer in his first 2 years combined. I think if ANY rb gets cut, it's dwyer. i don't think him showing up to camp overweight is the kind of thing tomlin will put up with

That's very disconcerting. Kid had mad talent. Just must be too dumb
and lazy. You have to be dumb to let yourself come into camp so out
of shape when you are on the fringe to begin with. I thought Dwyer
could be steal of that draft if he got motivated. Apparently there was
a reason no other teams touched him, even though his talent was
obvious. I guess that's it for him, unless he sheds weight very, very
quickly and dazzles in preseason.

Tomlin _will_ put up with players showing up at camp out of shape,
like Hampton. But not unproven players. Hope Batch is the real deal.
We need at least 1 other real RB - Mendy and Redman are not enough.
A few injuries and we'd be screwed.

thumper
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Mr bundle of joy is back at it.. I dont think anyone here is saying Batch is gonna take over for mendy, but if they can find away to get him out there on special teams, and 3rd down back, i'd take that for a 7th rounder.

I would too. If Moore is on the roster that means we are very
thin at RB. If Dwyer is all sloppy fat AGAIN then he is toast.

Steelersfan87
08-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Dwyer will probably be put on the practice squad. Will Batch get much playing time during the season? Probably not, but I think he has a better chance of playing more than Dwyer did last year because Batch has a much more complete skill set in terms of blocking, blitz pickup, and catching the ball.

thumper
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Dwyer will probably be put on the practice squad. Will Batch get much playing time during the season? Probably not, but I think he has a better chance of playing more than Dwyer did last year because Batch has a much more complete skill set in terms of blocking, blitz pickup, and catching the ball.

If he's showing as good as they say, he will get plenty of carries during
the pre-season at least, and if we have backs go down, he will play. If
he takes Moore's role, he will at least get the # of touches that MM did.
If he really can already pick up blocks in the passing game, and grasp
the play book on who to block, it will go very far towards him getting some
time on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPnTSzrNfE

Kid shows great balance, cutting, instincts. I mean, let's not kid ourselves:
He didn't exactly play against SEC-like talent. But he did play some good
teams in OK, U TX, and a few other decent teams.

Farrior_roirraW
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm glad ignore lists exist.

pancake
08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
If he's showing as good as they say, he will get plenty of carries during
the pre-season at least, and if we have backs go down, he will play. If
he takes Moore's role, he will at least get the # of touches that MM did.
If he really can already pick up blocks in the passing game, and grasp
the play book on who to block, it will go very far towards him getting some
time on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPnTSzrNfE

Kid shows great balance, cutting, instincts. I mean, let's not kid ourselves:
He didn't exactly play against SEC-like talent. But he did play some good
teams in OK, U TX, and a few other decent teams.

Wow, how many TD's did this kid have?

pancake
08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I think the Batch kid has the talent, but can he pick up the offense fast enough for Tomlin to trust him with 3rd down duties? I will say this he will be the 3rd down back for us in his 2nd season for sure, my opinion...

pancake
08-08-2011, 02:35 PM

I will be ready to DVR it whenever it is showed on the NFL network. :tt04:

Farrior_roirraW
08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I think the Batch kid has the talent, but can he pick up the offense fast enough for Tomlin to trust him with 3rd down duties? I will say this he will be the 3rd down back for us in his 2nd season for sure, my opinion...

Yeah, this is most likely what will happen... I have to see what he does in a game (preseason or not) to see how good he actually is but I think there is no doubt he makes the team.

SteelNote14
08-08-2011, 02:49 PM

I don't think learning the offense will take too long for batch, he has a great attitude and has a blog worth following. He also tweets about learning the playbook everyday and he even makes flashcards! haha

pancake
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't think learning the offense will take too long for batch, he has a great attitude and has a blog worth following. He also tweets about learning the playbook everyday and he even makes flashcards! haha

This kid seems like a real gem, I will be pulling for him. You can tell his determination to make this team the way he went after Debo on that blocking drill. I love his receiving skills on his highlight video.

SteelNote14
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Wow, how many TD's did this kid have?

900 yds and 14 rushing TD's his jr. year, believe it or not, RB was the most utilized position in Mike Leach's offense.
His sr. year he had around the same yards but his TD's dropped to I think 7. He split carries with the 2nd back(not a knock on Baron, the other guy is more of a scatback).
But Baron has good speed and ran a 4.39 and 4.41 at his pro day. He even caught fellow Steeler Curtis Brown on a dead straight-line sprint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIK5Ih3Vt4 - The play where he catches Brown is at about the 2:55 mark..:popcorn:

SteelNote14
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Here is a truly touching video of Baron that I found while searching for him on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17t6-YQ7T0
He seems like a great kid, will soon be a fan favorite:hatsoff:

pancake
08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
900 yds and 14 rushing TD's his jr. year, believe it or not, RB was the most utilized position in Mike Leach's offense.
His sr. year he had around the same yards but his TD's dropped to I think 7. He split carries with the 2nd back(not a knock on Baron, the other guy is more of a scatback).
But Baron has good speed and ran a 4.39 and 4.41 at his pro day. He even caught fellow Steeler Curtis Brown on a dead straight-line sprint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIK5Ih3Vt4 - The play where he catches Brown is at about the 2:55 mark..:popcorn:

I really like the Brown kid! He needs to improve his tackling technique, but I like how he will put his nose in there.

SteelNote14
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Brown's highlight film was very impressive! He looks like a tough, physical corner who has enough speed to cover receivers one on one

stiller39
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
You play like you practice... I'm just saying

theplatypus
08-08-2011, 04:19 PM

I was reading his blog and he mentioned how he's already put in more time studying the playbook than he did for any class in hs or college.

thumper
08-08-2011, 04:30 PM

:thumbsup: