PDA

View Full Version : What Are They Smoking/Drinking In CT?

Lyn
05-26-2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/05/25/sports/doc4475f3893ffed651338185.txt

Shouldn't losing be a learning experience? You do not always get a trophy.

Suitanim
05-27-2006, 03:44 PM
We are producing a generation of idiots who have no way of knowing they are actually idiots...

clevestinks
05-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Call me a schmuck, but I kind of agree with it somewhat. I don`t think a coach should be suspended. But some do it without even using all the replacements. Losing is experience yes, but do the other kids have to be completely embarrassed? There is such thing as pride, I just hate to see some kids give on a sport because their team sucks. To many kids are already giving up sports for video games, drugs or other things. Around here I go to high schoold football games and the teams have half the amount of players that they did when I played. Maybe as I get old, I get more sentimental????????/

Suitanim
05-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Let me give you an example. When I played pee wee football, we were DESTROYED 49-0 by Akron East. We were just little kids (this was B team, meaning we were like 6-7 years old or something). I mean, it was a masacre. Everytime they got the ball, they ran a sweep, and they were just so much faster than us, they literally almost scored at will. It was a humiliating loss, and not just for me, but also for my dad, who was the HC.

Nobody patted us on the head and said it was okay and no coaches were suspended (and, let me tell you, they ABSOLUTELY ran the score up on purpose...it was a racial thing, and the coaches and players parents were very vocal about it). We played those same kids every year for the next, I don't know, 5 years, and every year, we got a little better. When I was on the PW varsity team (12-13 years old I believe), we pitched a shutout 14-0 against those same kids. That was one of the sweetest victories I ever experienced, and me and my dad still talk about it on occasion 20-some years later. Why? Because we got our ases kicked, but we knew that we didn't measure up, so we had to work harder to get better...which we did.

clevestinks
05-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Let me give you an example. When I played pee wee football, we were DESTROYED 49-0 by Akron East. We were just little kids (this was B team, meaning we were like 6-7 years old or something). I mean, it was a masacre. Everytime they got the ball, they ran a sweep, and they were just so much faster than us, they literally almost scored at will. It was a humiliating loss, and not just for me, but also for my dad, who was the HC.

Nobody patted us on the head and said it was okay and no coaches were suspended (and, let me tell you, they ABSOLUTELY ran the score up on purpose...it was a racial thing, and the coaches and players parents were very vocal about it). We played those same kids every year for the next, I don't know, 5 years, and every year, we got a little better. When I was on the PW varsity team (12-13 years old I believe), we pitched a shutout 14-0 against those same kids. That was one of the sweetest victories I ever experienced, and me and my dad still talk about it on occasion 20-some years later. Why? Because we got our ases kicked, but we knew that we didn't measure up, so we had to work harder to get better...which we did.
That is a great story, revenge is always sweet:cool:

Suitanim
05-28-2006, 06:11 PM
But it's also sad, since kids nowadays will never know the sweetness of working hard to win, since they are never told they lost.