PDA

View Full Version : Woodley gets his contract

sbbound
08-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Via Facebook- LaMarr Woodley is signing a new contract with the Steelers. He didn't report the specifics of the contract, but he did say he's a Steeler for life.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 08:34 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says

Source: LaMarr Woodley signs new dealEmail Print Comments32 ESPN.com news services

Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley has signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract that is thought to be the second-highest deal in team history behind only Ben Roethlisberger's, a source familiar with the agreement told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday morning.

Woodley

Woodley's deal will pay $18.1 million in the first year and $27 million over the first two, the source said.

Woodley, who has 39 career sacks in four seasons, had been designated with the franchise tag by the Steelers.

He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2009, when he recorded a career-high 13 sacks with 62 tackles, 50 of which were solo. He had 10 sacks with 50 tackles last season.

Woodley's deal comes less than a week after Roethlisberger agreed to restructure his contract to help the defending AFC champions get under the $120.4 million salary cap.

AFC North blog
ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The quarterback was signed to an eight-year, $102 million deal in 2008. The restructuring will not affect the length or money involved, according to his agent.

The Steelers entered training camp about $10 million over the salary cap and last week released veterans Max Starks, Flozell Adams and Antwaan Randle El to shed payroll.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Monday that linebacker James Harrison also restructured his contract.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.7 million contract in 2009.

steelax04
08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Anyone know what this does for the Steelers' cap space?

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
The majority of the upfront money will be signing bonus I am sure, this might give us a little cap room. According to the Steelers page on face book it free's up cap space, but not sure how much or how.

steelax04
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Looks like this deal will save the Steelers about $3.5 million in cap space. Prior to the deal all $10 mil would have counted and with the new deal, it's only going to be $6.5 mil.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2011/8/5/2346508/lamarr-woodley-steelers-long-term-contract

TRH
08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Awesome.

It's nice to see someone sign somewhere they "claimed they wanted to stay". So many athletes today use that for nothing more than a bargaining chip.
Although he got a nice payday, its quite obvious he's a man of his word, a standup guy.

fer522
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
he deserves it

:tt03:

Atlanta Dan
08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Further indication that it actually might be possible the front office has a clue with regard to how to reward productive players while complying with the salary cap, as opposed to throwing $3 million at a receiver in his mid-30s trying to come back after a 2 year layoff in prison

Ruffneck525
08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
If anybody deserved this is Woodley.. the guy has been a monster for the steelers and especially stepped up in Playoff time... While staying humble and not being harsh about not getting his big deal.

he was patient and is now rewarded and deserves this. besides harrison is on the decline with back issues and Woodley is just now hitting his stride and will only improve.

DanRooney
08-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Overpaid. The guy has 1 pass rushing move (bullrush) and I have no doubt he's going to struggle when Harrison leaves. If Harrison rushed the passer as much as Woodley and was left 1-on-1 as much as him, he would have 16-18 sacks a season.

Fire Arians
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
lamarr gildong lol

nah honestly im glad he got his contract but don't know if he's worth 10 mil a year tbh. hopefully he earns his check

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
The deal is a six-year, $61.5 million contract that runs through the 2016 season.

its a few million more than what i would have guessed, i was thinking more like 9 million a year , 6 year 54 mill with 27 mill guaranteed ... i like woodley and am glad we have him, but he tends to be a non factor in a lot of games....:noidea:

pete74
08-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Overpaid. The guy has 1 pass rushing move (bullrush) and I have no doubt he's going to struggle when Harrison leaves. If Harrison rushed the passer as much as Woodley and was left 1-on-1 as much as him, he would have 16-18 sacks a season.

agreed i love him and glad we have him but we overpaid him. he dissapears in to many games, especially th first half of the year

Ruffneck525
08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
wow i'm shocked here.. and you don't think harrison disapeared in the super bowl?

Woodley is in coverage just as much as harrison is

the guy led us in sacks.. beats harrison in Playoff Sacks and he's overated?

wow some steeler fans

I bet you guys think Ike ( I can't cover anybody) taylor is a great Cb also right?

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
wow i'm shocked here.. and you don't think harrison disapeared in the super bowl?

wow some steeler fans

I bet you guys think Ike ( I can't cover anybody) taylor is a great Cb also right?

seems like are front office cant win..

cause now if we of only offered him 9 million a year and he left,... then people would bitch that are front office is cheap... im pretty sure they know what they are doing..

plus, when the stage is the biggest he shows up

Woodley has added 11 sacks in seven career postseason appearances.

id rather know we have him, then worrying that he could go elsewhere

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
agreed i love him and glad we have him but we overpaid him. he dissapears in to many games, especially th first half of the year

isnt that kind of like saying a baseball player disappears in a game in april?

, if he is making big plays in the playoffs. i'll take my chances with him rather than against him... plus he wants to be here :tt04:

trust in the Rooney's and will be rewarded

what was everyone expecting lamar's contract to be?

pete74
08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
isnt that kind of like saying a baseball player disappears in a game in april?

, if he is making big plays in the playoffs. i'll take my chances with him rather than against him... plus he wants to be here :tt04:

trust in the Rooney's and will be rewarded

what was everyone expecting lamar's contract to be?

no its not. you have to win to get there and there are only 16 games in football. this isnt communisim here, everyone dosnt have to agree with every move the Rooneys make. some of you guys think its a sin or act of treason to question the steelers judgment. come on guys, wake up. this is the united states and we have the freedom of speach. i said i loved Woodley but think he got more then i would of paid

pete74
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
if woodley left in free agency you would be the same bunch saying he was over rated and we didnt need him just like some of you did with holmes. when i said we wouldnt resign holmes everyone acted like i was a freaking terrorist then when we cut him loose the same guys talked shit on him and said we didnt need someone like that

DanRooney
08-05-2011, 03:53 PM

wow some steeler fans

Woodley wasn't in coverage as much as Harrison. Not even close.

(Credit to Still Mill)
Harrison: Rushed 22 times, coverage 18 times, and 2 quick pass plays where it was nearly impossible to discern his task.
Woodley: Rushed 33 times, coverage 9 times

He beats Harrison in sacks exclusively because of this and the fact that he usually is matched one-on-one. How many times have you seen Harrison mauled, i.e. held? Woodley doesn't demand an extra blocker. Harrison does. Ol' Lamarr has 1 bullrush move and if you can contain that, like rookie Bryan Bulaga did for the Packers, game over.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:53 PM
no its not. you have to win to get there and there are only 16 games in football. this isnt communisim here, everyone dosnt have to agree with every move the Rooneys make. some of you guys think its a sin or act of treason to question the steelers judgment. come on guys, wake up. this is the united states and we have the freedom of speach. i said i loved Woodley but think he got more then i would of paid

Im not saying I agree with everything they do.

I agree, with what your saying (you do have to win in baseball also to make the playoffs (just see our lovely pirates, crapping the bed lately))

but anyway

i want to know
what do you think he should of got paid?
and how many years?

pancake
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I guess no home town discount... I'm glad we got him, but I do think the price is pretty high. The OLB is the most important position on the D my opinion, we need super stars there. I am glad we kept him and hope he earns every penny...

DanRooney
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

I agree, with what your saying except you do have to win in baseball also to make the playoffs (just see our lovely pirates, crapping the bed lately) but anyway

but what do you think he should of got paid?
and how many years?

6-7 million a year would be fair. Over 10 is absolutely ridiculous even though only 6.5 of it was against the cap.

ebsteelers
08-05-2011, 03:58 PM
do people feel this is a better or worse deal then the one they gave to Harrison a few years ago?

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:01 PM
do people feel this is a better or worse deal then the one they gave to Harrison a few years ago?

Harrison, won't finish his contract here and Woodley might not either, but he has a better chance. I haven't decided if it's better or not.

DanRooney
08-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Far worse. Harrison deserves every penny for what he got. He's the most complete/ best outside linebacker in the NFL. How many others are as good in run support as him? None. Not Ware. Definitely not Matthews. If he were allowed to rush the passer as much as Ware he would easily have 18-20 sacks a season.

I hate to rain on your guys' parade that overrated Lamarr Woodley got signed to a huge deal, but how do you think we sign Polamalu and most importanly, Timmons next year? Answer: we can't. I don't even think we'll be able to afford deals even if we cut Ward, Farrior, Smith, and Foote.

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
One thing I forgot to say, is I see the CAP going way up in the years to come and this might turn out to be reasonable...

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Far worse. Harrison deserves every penny for what he got. He's the most complete/ best outside linebacker in the NFL. How many others are as good in run support as him? None. Not Ware. Definitely not Matthews. If he were allowed to rush the passer as much as Ware he would easily have 18-20 sacks a season.

I hate to rain on your guys' parade that overrated Lamarr Woodley got signed to a huge deal, but how do you think we sign Polamalu and most importanly, Timmons next year? Answer: we can't. I don't even think we'll be able to afford deals even if we cut Ward, Farrior, Smith, and Foote.

I think we sigh both and the cap going up, along with the departures will allow it to happen.

SteelCurtain5643
08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I love everything about this. I love Lamarr Woodley, he has to be my favorite Steeler behind Polamalu. The guy is an animal plain and simple. :thumbsup: :tt03:

Atlanta Dan
08-05-2011, 04:30 PM
6-7 million a year would be fair. Over 10 is absolutely ridiculous even though only 6.5 of it was against the cap.

As opposed to this?:noidea:

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Tamba Hali, also designated a franchise player, signed a five-year, $60 million contract on Thursday. His deal reportedly includes $35milion guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15400582/steelers-lb-woodley-gets-615-million-deal

Looks like Woodley's deal reflects the reality of what the market is for LBs

pancake
08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
As opposed to this?:noidea:

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Tamba Hali, also designated a franchise player, signed a five-year, $60 million contract on Thursday. His deal reportedly includes $35milion guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15400582/steelers-lb-woodley-gets-615-million-deal

Looks like Woodley's deal reflects the reality of what the market is for LBs

Like I said ealier, the cap increasing, might make this deal better in years to come. By the way, I would much rather have Woodley than Hali...

Sixburgher
08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I seem to recall a lot of people complaining about Harrison's deal as being too long and too costly also. I love the way people grouse and worry that the Steelers won't offer a big enough contract that will keep player X with the team, but when they do, it's too much.

MaidenIndiana
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope. Personally I love the that Woodley's going to be a Steeler for life. and I also recognize that the Rooney's and the Steelers front office probably know a little bit more about how to run a football team than I do.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Woodley got probably what is pretty close to market value. He is a top 10 outside linebacker. Does his performance merit more pay than Harrison? No. But circumstantially, being age 26 and just entering the prime of his career, with the market increasing every year, and the sheer importance of the position in the Steelers', it is no surprise at all that he got what he got. It is true that he tends to start off the season slow, but for the past two years he has finished the regular season as arguably the team's best player at that point, especially with Harrison battling injuries. And you can't argue with 11 postseason sacks in 7 games. Nobody in the history of the game has done that. He has yet to not record a sack in a playoff game. And let's not forget, he was making $550,000 last year and hardly said a word about it. He is loyal and absolutely Steeler material. As for his play after Harrison leaves, well, that is up to Jason Worilds, but he has already shown tremendous potential. He even recorded two sacks in very limited playing time last year. I'm not too worried about a significant dropoff of Woodley's play as it directly relates to Harrison being lined up on the other side.

pancake
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Worilds got 2 sacks last year?

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Worilds got 2 sacks last year?

Indeed. One against Tampa Bay and one against Oakland, both in junk time. He had great pressure though in the Miami game as well when Woodley got hurt. One of his pressures led directly to an interception by Harrison at the end of the game.

In fact, here are those plays:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d81adb64c/Steelers-defense-sack-7-yd-loss (on the left side here, Sylvester meets him at the QB)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81b9374c/Steelers-defense-4th-down-failed (right side)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d81c4c183/Steelers-defense-sack-6-yd-loss (left side)

pete74
08-05-2011, 05:36 PM

I agree, with what your saying (you do have to win in baseball also to make the playoffs (just see our lovely pirates, crapping the bed lately))

but anyway

i want to know
what do you think he should of got paid?
and how many years?

honestly i dont know. he is one of the top olb in the nfl so i guess i shouldnt really complain. im happy we have him for the next 6 years though

SteelCityMom
08-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Excellent...definitely worth the money!

stb_steeler
08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Excellent...definitely worth the money!

I agree Mom..........If he does what he says he's gonna do...he'll be alright!
He's always on FB saying how hes been workin out long before everyone else has keeping in shape. Sounds like he has a good out look for this year!

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2011, 06:38 PM

wow some steeler fans

if your going to use stats as your measuring stick then at least use all of them instead of cherry picking just one....

harrison is credited with 10.5 sacks in the regular season
woodley 10

harrison 100 tackles / 70 solo
woodlet 50 tackles / 35 solo

harrison 6 forced fumbles
woodley 3

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Keep in mind that 50 tackles is more in line with what a 3-4 outside linebacker is supposed to get. Compare Woodley to 3-4 outside linebackers from other teams. The fact that Harrison has reached 100 tackles multiple times in his career as a 3-4 outside linebacker is nothing short of incredible.

Fire Arians
08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
to woodley's credit he has led the nfl in tackles for negative yardage, that has to count for something

mizzouristeeler
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I would rather pay woodley who we drafted and has been a beast than some big name free agent

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Yea, no doubt Harrison is the over all better player in many ways.
But, this gives us cap room and locks up a very good LB. Also,
Woodley picks and choses when to give 100%. He saves up
for the most important plays; Harrison gives 100% every single
play. But, it's not that other great defenders didn't save up for
their best stuff, including the late great Reggie White.

tony hipchest
08-05-2011, 07:37 PM
i love the knock on woodley being he is a 1 trick pony with his bull rush.

kinda like the knock on chris carter- "all he does is catch touchdowns".

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Woodley got probably what is pretty close to market value. He is a top 10 outside linebacker. Does his performance merit more pay than Harrison? No. But circumstantially, being age 26 and just entering the prime of his career, with the market increasing every year, and the sheer importance of the position in the Steelers', it is no surprise at all that he got what he got. It is true that he tends to start off the season slow, but for the past two years he has finished the regular season as arguably the team's best player at that point, especially with Harrison battling injuries. And you can't argue with 11 postseason sacks in 7 games. Nobody in the history of the game has done that. He has yet to not record a sack in a playoff game. And let's not forget, he was making $550,000 last year and hardly said a word about it. He is loyal and absolutely Steeler material. As for his play after Harrison leaves, well, that is up to Jason Worilds, but he has already shown tremendous potential. He even recorded two sacks in very limited playing time last year. I'm not too worried about a significant dropoff of Woodley's play as it directly relates to Harrison being lined up on the other side.

Very good points. Several of them.

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:41 PM
if your going to use stats as your measuring stick then at least use all of them instead of cherry picking just one....

harrison is credited with 10.5 sacks in the regular season
woodley 10

harrison 100 tackles / 70 solo
woodlet 50 tackles / 35 solo

harrison 6 forced fumbles
woodley 3

Also, Harrison's body was totally jacked for the Super Bowl. He had
a jacked back AND a jacked shoulder. Of course, they didn't let us
know at the time, but we know that now. I recall seeing the play
that JH hurt is shoulder. He fell on it really awkwardly. I think it was
in the Jets or Ravens game.

GMU Steeler
08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Awesome, after Troy P he's my favorite player on the D.

thumper
08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Keep in mind that 50 tackles is more in line with what a 3-4 outside linebacker is supposed to get. Compare Woodley to 3-4 outside linebackers from other teams. The fact that Harrison has reached 100 tackles multiple times in his career as a 3-4 outside linebacker is nothing short of incredible.

Like I said, as much cred as Harrison gets, it's not enough. He is still
underrated, at least by the fans, not as much by his peers.

Lord of Lombardi
08-05-2011, 07:49 PM

Another Einstein...

1 pass rushing move? The sack on Warner to end the Super bowl is all you need to see. He bull rushed, facked outside corner rush, came back and got his 2nd sack of the game. I believe he averages 2 sacks per playoff game. Not bad for only having 1 move. I guess he out avereged you since you only have one dumb ass statement per post.

"When Harrison Leaves" Sorry, there's your 2nd dumb ass statement. Now your're up to par. That is like saying "When Ben Leaves, Dixon won't be ready" How can you predict something so assnine? And Harrison taking double teams will continue and you don't sound happy about that? T-E-A-M sport Arse hole. I am just glad it is not a Team Fanbase. I'd be embarrassed about you.

pete74
08-05-2011, 07:54 PM
regardless of what everyone thinks we needed to pay woodley. more then likely harrison will be gone next year so we will need woodley to be our monster

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 08:10 PM
It s a good deal long term. Woodley is coming into his prime and will only get better. He wants to be here and contrary to some opinions this contract saves cap room so that we might get something done with Timmons.
Linebacker is the heart of this team, and we just kept one of the best OLB in the NFL ....LONGTERM. That makes it a great day for Steelers football.

tanda10506
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Although I disagree on this being Harrison's last year, Woodley was a must sign. A Pittsburgh drafted linebacker who gets at least one sack EVERY playoff game. Does pretty well with sacks in the regular season too, and is a great tackler. I don't think he is overrated at all, I'd say by non Steeler fans he's underrated. I agree Harrison is better, but Woodley is young, the next 5 years will be his prime years. Woodley is a Steeler, he plays like a Steeler, and that's what we need long term, excellent Steeler born players signed to long term deals. That's how this team has always been and I'm glad Woodley will continue to be a part of it.

xli...
08-05-2011, 11:23 PM
All I have to say is :tt04:

jjpro11
08-06-2011, 12:07 AM
i think if we can extend Timmons, we're pretty much set at LB for the future... as we pretty much have been since the Steel Curtain.

Sylvester is going to be an animal and Worilds has the makings of the next great Steelers rush end LB... who knows? maybe Carter or an UDFA will surprise as well.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Another Einstein...

1 pass rushing move? The sack on Warner to end the Super bowl is all you need to see. He bull rushed, facked outside corner rush, came back and got his 2nd sack of the game. I believe he averages 2 sacks per playoff game. Not bad for only having 1 move. I guess he out avereged you since you only have one dumb ass statement per post.

"When Harrison Leaves" Sorry, there's your 2nd dumb ass statement. Now your're up to par. That is like saying "When Ben Leaves, Dixon won't be ready" How can you predict something so assnine? And Harrison taking double teams will continue and you don't sound happy about that? T-E-A-M sport Arse hole. I am just glad it is not a Team Fanbase. I'd be embarrassed about you.

Oh I'm sorry. I say he has one move, the bull rush. Then you argue with a play where he does the bull rush, fails, and then tries something else because Warner had to make a play and held the ball for nearly 7 seconds. :chuckle:

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 12:22 AM
And don't think I'm not mad at extending him at all. Doing that was a good move, especially for a guy that's been playing light years better than his previous salaries. I simply thought he was overpaid. If this costs us Timmons or Troy, two players far more important than him on our team, then this deal is setting our defense for failure.

Steelersfan87
08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I think it's definitely an overstatement to say that Timmons is far more important than Woodley, and, well, it's just unfair to compare just about anyone's importance to a team to Polamalu's. But regardless, Woodley's deal lowered his cap hit, and should in no way impact the Steelers' ability to extend either player this season or re-sign if they wait until next year. Within 3-4 years most likely the salaries of Ward, Harrison, Hampton, Smith, Farrior, and maybe Keisel will be off the books, so I see no reason why the Steelers would have any issue holding on to Timmons, Polamalu, and Mike Wallace, and then eventually players like Hood, Pouncey, Worilds, and Sanders.

OX1947
08-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Woodley overrated? Wow. I have heard some dumb comments before, but this one is pretty damn stupid. You have a guy who overplayed his contract for 3 years. Didnt complain during the time about anything, didnt complain about being franchised, loves being a Steeler, has 3 straight double digit sacks as a starter.

I am sorry, did someone say he disappears too? When did disappears mean having 11 sacks in the playoffs in 7 playoff games? Or, 50 sacks in the regular season and playoffs in 4 years?

Are you the same dipshits who say Polamalu is overrated too? That one might be worse then this one. But not by much.

MasterOfPuppets
08-06-2011, 03:32 AM
And don't think I'm not mad at extending him at all. Doing that was a good move, especially for a guy that's been playing light years better than his previous salaries. I simply thought he was overpaid. If this costs us Timmons or Troy, two players far more important than him on our team, then this deal is setting our defense for failure.
ILB david harris of the jets just signed a 4 year 36 million , 29.5 million guaranteed.
should give ya an idea of where timmons ballpark number will be.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 04:02 AM
I think it's definitely an overstatement to say that Timmons is far more important than Woodley, and, well, it's just unfair to compare just about anyone's importance to a team to Polamalu's. But regardless, Woodley's deal lowered his cap hit, and should in no way impact the Steelers' ability to extend either player this season or re-sign if they wait until next year. Within 3-4 years most likely the salaries of Ward, Harrison, Hampton, Smith, Farrior, and maybe Keisel will be off the books, so I see no reason why the Steelers would have any issue holding on to Timmons, Polamalu, and Mike Wallace, and then eventually players like Hood, Pouncey, Worilds, and Sanders.

It's not an overstatement at all. Woodley has a viable backup in Worilds, who played the same LOLB position college and had snaps there this season. Who's the backup to Timmons? Sylvester has to take over for the declining James Farrior who's probably on his last year. Timmons was arguably the best 3-4 ILB this season. He's more athletic and versatile in that he can play inside and outside. He also is playing the roaming role that we're so accustomed to seeing Polamalu do. Woodley is an oversized albeit good pass rusher with one move. He drops into coverage like all of our LBers do in zone but doesn't have the athleticism to cover a TE like Timmons does.

Rosenthal is Timmons' agent. Hopefully he won't test the market because I'm 100% sure any of these new developing 3-4 teams will throw tons of money towards him with his talents. He'll demand at least $9 million a year probably more imo.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Woodley overrated? Wow. I have heard some dumb comments before, but this one is pretty damn stupid. You have a guy who overplayed his contract for 3 years. Didnt complain during the time about anything, didnt complain about being franchised, loves being a Steeler, has 3 straight double digit sacks as a starter.

I am sorry, did someone say he disappears too? When did disappears mean having 11 sacks in the playoffs in 7 playoff games? Or, 50 sacks in the regular season and playoffs in 4 years?

Are you the same dipshits who say Polamalu is overrated too? That one might be worse then this one. But not by much.

He does disappear. He usually gets hot in 1/2 of the year, check his seasonal stat-lines. Matthews disappeared in the entire middle of the season this year and had 13.5 sacks. :thumbsup:

Woodley is overrated. He's good but our 3rd best linebacker behind Harrison and Timmons.

Steelersfan87
08-06-2011, 04:44 AM
It's not an overstatement at all. Woodley has a viable backup in Worilds, who played the same LOLB position college and had snaps there this season. Who's the backup to Timmons? Sylvester has to take over for the declining James Farrior who's probably on his last year. Timmons was arguably the best 3-4 ILB this season. He's more athletic and versatile in that he can play inside and outside. He also is playing the roaming role that we're so accustomed to seeing Polamalu do. Woodley is an oversized albeit good pass rusher with one move. He drops into coverage like all of our LBers do in zone but doesn't have the athleticism to cover a TE like Timmons does.

Rosenthal is Timmons' agent. Hopefully he won't test the market because I'm 100% sure any of these new developing 3-4 teams will throw tons of money towards him with his talents. He'll demand at least $9 million a year probably more imo.

First of all, let's be honest; the very premise of this conversation is absurd. Both players are vital to the team's success in the team's foreseeable future. It would be a significant blow to lose either. Both players are amongst the best at their positions, and we're frankly spoiled by having them. But with that said, on to your points.

If you're using depth as your logic, then Woodley is more valuable than Harrison because Worilds is being used primarily as the right side outside linebacker. And Jonathan Scott is more valuable than Maurkice Pouncey because Doug Legursky is a quality center, whereas they don't really have another viable alternative for left tackle on the roster right now. Besides, Timmons' back up is a former starter, Larry Foote. Foote did very well in his limited playing time last year. Surprisingly well, actually.

As far as the players' actual play goes, Woodley also plays a significant amount of time in coverage. He doesn't play on a man as much as Timmons does, but he and Harrison both are occasionally assigned to blanket a certain player. However, OLB is the more important position in the Steelers' defensive scheme because most of their defensive philosophy is centered around pressuring the quarterback, and LaMarr Woodley gets about as much pressure on the quarterback as even James Harrison does, in terms of hits, hurries, and pressures. Although Timmons is an ILB, he was very average when he was assigned to pressure the quarterback last season, disappointingly so. James Farrior did a much better job finishing off plays behind the line when he was scheduled to blitz. But I digress. It is the pressure on the quarterback that drives the Steelers' defensive scheme, forcing teams into creating mistakes. This is why the OLB position is the premiere, featured position in their base scheme, and why the Steelers are willing to lock up over $110M between two players, because they know that they are blessed with two of the top 10, if not 5 pass rushers that are also versatile enough to drop into coverage, maintain their contain responsibilities, and contribute heavily in run support. Claiming that a player that is in the top 10 at his position is overrated is just silly. Timmons is only now growing into his role, and with his talent and skill set should be integral to the Steelers' success the way that Polamalu is. But he was not quite there last year. He still has room to improve, so it's ridiculous to claim that he is "far" more important than Woodley. Timmons IS, or at least will be, more important. However, he is not significantly more important, and he never will be significantly more important simply because of the importance of the OLB position. Timmons merely started to come into his own last year. He wasn't there yet. And no, he was not the best 3-4 ILB last year. I love Timmons, but he has work to do to become what LeBeau envisions for him in what will probably be the post-Polamalu system, even though LeBeau will probably be gone by then. Again, he's not there yet. He has been able to get by on his athleticism a bit, but hopefully this is the year that he's fully there mentally. He claimed that he was in the beginning of the year last year, but that wasn't the case. Also, the "one move" claim is starting to get old. Woodley has more than one move. The bull rush is just his most effective and most successful because of his size and strength.

solardave
08-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Further indication that it actually might be possible the front office has a clue with regard to how to reward productive players while complying with the salary cap, as opposed to throwing $3 million at a receiver in his mid-30s trying to come back after a 2 year layoff in prison

Agreed.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 06:30 AM
First of all, let's be honest; the very premise of this conversation is absurd. Both players are vital to the team's success in the team's foreseeable future. It would be a significant blow to lose either. Both players are amongst the best at their positions, and we're frankly spoiled by having them. But with that said, on to your points.

If you're using depth as your logic, then Woodley is more valuable than Harrison because Worilds is being used primarily as the right side outside linebacker. And Jonathan Scott is more valuable than Maurkice Pouncey because Doug Legursky is a quality center, whereas they don't really have another viable alternative for left tackle on the roster right now. Besides, Timmons' back up is a former starter, Larry Foote. Foote did very well in his limited playing time last year. Surprisingly well, actually.

As far as the players' actual play goes, Woodley also plays a significant amount of time in coverage. He doesn't play on a man as much as Timmons does, but he and Harrison both are occasionally assigned to blanket a certain player. However, OLB is the more important position in the Steelers' defensive scheme because most of their defensive philosophy is centered around pressuring the quarterback, and LaMarr Woodley gets about as much pressure on the quarterback as even James Harrison does, in terms of hits, hurries, and pressures. Although Timmons is an ILB, he was very average when he was assigned to pressure the quarterback last season, disappointingly so. James Farrior did a much better job finishing off plays behind the line when he was scheduled to blitz. But I digress. It is the pressure on the quarterback that drives the Steelers' defensive scheme, forcing teams into creating mistakes. This is why the OLB position is the premiere, featured position in their base scheme, and why the Steelers are willing to lock up over $110M between two players, because they know that they are blessed with two of the top 10, if not 5 pass rushers that are also versatile enough to drop into coverage, maintain their contain responsibilities, and contribute heavily in run support. Claiming that a player that is in the top 10 at his position is overrated is just silly. Timmons is only now growing into his role, and with his talent and skill set should be integral to the Steelers' success the way that Polamalu is. But he was not quite there last year. He still has room to improve, so it's ridiculous to claim that he is "far" more important than Woodley. Timmons IS, or at least will be, more important. However, he is not significantly more important, and he never will be significantly more important simply because of the importance of the OLB position. Timmons merely started to come into his own last year. He wasn't there yet. And no, he was not the best 3-4 ILB last year. I love Timmons, but he has work to do to become what LeBeau envisions for him in what will probably be the post-Polamalu system, even though LeBeau will probably be gone by then. Again, he's not there yet. He has been able to get by on his athleticism a bit, but hopefully this is the year that he's fully there mentally. He claimed that he was in the beginning of the year last year, but that wasn't the case. Also, the "one move" claim is starting to get old. Woodley has more than one move. The bull rush is just his most effective and most successful because of his size and strength.

Worilds has been playing LOLB in Woodley's spot and played there in college like I said before. He'll probably move right but he's accustomed to playing left. I listed 3 or 4 reasons why Timmons was more valuable. You took 1 of them and started comparing scrubs to superstars. Very bizarre. Harrison is more valuable than Woodley because he's better at every single aspect. He's a better run stuffer, better at rushing the passer, and is more of a playmaker.

IMO Woodley is a luxury. OLB is not the most important position to our defense as you make it seem. Especially on that side facing weaker tackles. I wouldn't have any doubt that there wouldn't be a dropoff if Worilds took Woodley's place. There will be if he takes over for Harrison though. Guaranteed.

Foote probably leaves in the next 2 years along with Farrior. I wouldn't be shocked if we cut him before the season starts to tell you the truth.

I have no idea where you get your stats from on Timmons, but I'm assuming you made them up because they're wrong. In 2009, Timmons was ranked #1 in pressures and sacks per times rushed out of ALL linebackers in the NFL. He had 20 QB pressures this season and taken the time he was assigned to coverage, that's not bad. He had an entirely different role than he had in 2008 and you saw that when he could have made a run at DPOY in the first 6 games. He was the best 3-4 ILB last year without a doubt. If you say Ray Lewis was I will hold my head and agony.

And enough of this top 10 thing. Top 10 isn't good. There's 32 teams. 10 out of 100 is good. 10 out of 32? Not so much. Hell Eli Manning could crack someones top 10 quarterbacks. There's 64 starting OLBers in the league. Take out the 4-3 teams and you have maybe 20? So out of 20 LBers he's top 10. Great.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Agreed.

Arnaz Battle disagrees.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2011, 09:33 AM
If this costs us Timmons or Troy, two players far more important than him on our team, then this deal is setting our defense for failure.

If you look forward rather than look back, signing a 26 years old Woodley is a more important signing than resigning a Troy in decline, who has made it through only one out of the past five seasons without missing significant time due to injuries

Troy has been a tremendous talent when healthy but as Troy heads into his 9th season IMO it would be a big risk to pay him what will be the market rate for the top safety in the league with a new contract going forward - this exchange with Ed.B. of the P-G today indicates the Steelers front office may agree

READER: I love Troy P as much as anyone and fully understand his value to the Steeler D. However, I do not think the Steelers should pay an injury prone safety $10 million per year to possibly play 10 games. If I was in charge, I would sign Timmons first, have Troy play this year and franchise him next year after we see if he can stay healthy for 16 games.

BOUCHETTE: I did not know Kevin Colbert was a Plus member who sent me his thoughts. Not Kevin? You may be thinking alike.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

If Polamalu does not get a new deal it will be because his time is passing, not because of the Woodley signing

Rick5895
08-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Worilds has been playing LOLB in Woodley's spot and played there in college like I said before. He'll probably move right but he's accustomed to playing left. I listed 3 or 4 reasons why Timmons was more valuable. You took 1 of them and started comparing scrubs to superstars. Very bizarre. Harrison is more valuable than Woodley because he's better at every single aspect. He's a better run stuffer, better at rushing the passer, and is more of a playmaker.

IMO Woodley is a luxury. OLB is not the most important position to our defense as you make it seem. Especially on that side facing weaker tackles. I wouldn't have any doubt that there wouldn't be a dropoff if Worilds took Woodley's place. There will be if he takes over for Harrison though. Guaranteed. Foote probably leaves in the next 2 years along with Farrior. I wouldn't be shocked if we cut him before the season starts to tell you the truth.

I have no idea where you get your stats from on Timmons, but I'm assuming you made them up because they're wrong. In 2009, Timmons was ranked #1 in pressures and sacks per times rushed out of ALL linebackers in the NFL. He had 20 QB pressures this season and taken the time he was assigned to coverage, that's not bad. He had an entirely different role than he had in 2008 and you saw that when he could have made a run at DPOY in the first 6 games. He was the best 3-4 ILB last year without a doubt. If you say Ray Lewis was I will hold my head and agony.

And enough of this top 10 thing. Top 10 isn't good. There's 32 teams. 10 out of 100 is good. 10 out of 32? Not so much. Hell Eli Manning could crack someones top 10 quarterbacks. There's 64 starting OLBers in the league. Take out the 4-3 teams and you have maybe 20? So out of 20 LBers he's top 10. Great.

In this defense, OLB is the most important position, bringing heat from the LB's especially the outside is very important to the success of this D.
Troy or Timmons will get a new deal this season, hopefully Timmons. Either way whoever doesn't of those twop will be franchised next season.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Both NT and DE is more important in a 3-4.

As for Polamalu, I swore he just won DPOY. If he's on a decline, that's incredible.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 02:13 PM
According to the new collective bargaining agreement, the Steelers have until Thursday to get under the $120 million salary cap. Despite a flurry of roster moves last week, Pittsburgh remains about $7 million to $10 million over, which is where the team started this summer.
:popcorn:

Rick5895
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM
According to the new collective bargaining agreement, the Steelers have until Thursday to get under the $120 million salary cap. Despite a flurry of roster moves last week, Pittsburgh remains about $7 million to $10 million over, which is where the team started this summer.
:popcorn:

I may be wrong, but the teams had until this past Thursday (August 4) to get under the cap. All NFL teams complied with that. That was reported yesterday on the NFL network,.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Both NT and DE is more important in a 3-4.

As for Polamalu, I swore he just won DPOY. If he's on a decline, that's incredible.

I would never knock Troy for all he has done over the years although the DPOY was as much a lifetime achievement award as it was for a season with some great individual plays (Atlanta, Buffalo, second Ravens & second Bengals game) and a lot of more mundane performances

That having been said, since you watched the playoffs and Super Bowl please tell me one impact play he made during the Ravens, Jets or Green Bay games (and recall how he got turned around completely on the last Green Bay TD). i know he was hurt but for someone who relies on his burst the repeated leg injuries have to be taking a toll

Peter King states it as follows:

Many of you were angry with my placement of Troy Polamalu as the 50th-best player of today on my list of the top 100 players (which I'm counting down alongside NFL Network's production weekly). As @steeler560 Tweeted: "Ranking Polamalu at #50 is proof that NFL needs to extend drug testing program to include sports writers!''

Here's why I put the reigning defensive player of the year where I did: This list is not based entirely on how a player played in 2010, or where his current body of work places him today. It also includes how a player will play in 2011 and the future. The past is important for establishing greatness, and Polamalu has certainly been a great strong safety. But what is he now? I'm not sure. He's missed 13 games due to injury in the last two seasons. He was mostly invisible in the Steelers' run to the Super Bowl last season.

I've got tremendous respect for Polamalu as a player (and just as much for him as a person), but I'm trying to be realistic about where he is in his career. And right now, I've seen too many signs that he's not going to continue to be vintage Polamalu for a full season. That counts. Players have to play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/06/07/mail/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a1

Long term contracts are about the future. Troy is coming off an achilles injury on top of his knee problems in 2009 - everyone gets old and paying top $$ to a player entering his 10th year when his next contract starts in 2012 who has only played one full season since 2005 is a big risk

As was the case with the Woodley contract, which you think is too high but which reflects market conditions, it's a business decision - the Steelers cannot pay top $$ for everyone

If they were willing to let a declining Porter and Faneca (who IMO has a better shot at the HOF than Troy) go they will do the same with #43.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
What you're pretty much doing is taking Polamalu's body of work and basing it off his last two games. That's very disturbing. Our secondary was actually pretty good against the Ravens. Flacco threw for whopping 125 yards. Boldin, their #1 receiver, finished the day with -2 yards. But all you guys remember is when Troy missed a tackle on Ray Rice.

Peter King is full of shit. If his injury proneness and ability to play in the future was such a big factor in his rankings, why is Ed Reed #12? If I'm not mistaken, he missed half the season this year and has a bad nerve in his neck. Makes sense to me.

You guys have short term memory. Do you remember our defense in 2009? Our secondary was so bad half of us were calling for Tomlin's head and the other half were chanting dump Ike/Gay/Clark/Carter. I honestly hope Troy leaves us next year just to see you guys and the media eat crow.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2011, 04:26 PM
What you're pretty much doing is taking Polamalu's body of work and basing it off his last two games. That's very disturbing.

Peter King is full of shit. If his injury proneness and ability to play in the future was such a big factor in his rankings, why is Ed Reed #12? If I'm not mistaken, he missed half the season this year and has a bad nerve in his neck. But he makes total sense to you guys.

This is not about Peter King's rankings (although I would not sign Ed Reed to a long term contract either) - it is about the facts King cited regarding Polamalu's physical problems

As I stated before i am not saying Troy has not been a great player and am not attacking his "body of work" - i am saying his injury history raises concerns about another long term contract, which Bouchette (who I guess you think is also full of shit?) noted in the link I provided earlier

And I am not basing my concerns primarily on his mediocre playoff performance - i am basing it primarily on the significant time he has missed over last 2 seasons (as well as the last six seasons) and the fact that Polamalu's greatness has been based on his burst to the ball - the repeated injuries have to impact that

My recollection is the Steelers have never signed a long term big $$ FA contract with a player who will entering his 10th season at the start of the contract - other than Roethlisberger I would be surprised if they ever do

As a fan you may want Troy to play forever as a Steeler but the NFL does not work that way.

It's like buying a stock - you invest based on anticipated future earnings, not past performance = Troy is Microsoft rather than Apple

Rick5895
08-06-2011, 05:51 PM
What you're pretty much doing is taking Polamalu's body of work and basing it off his last two games. That's very disturbing. Our secondary was actually pretty good against the Ravens. Flacco threw for whopping 125 yards. Boldin, their #1 receiver, finished the day with -2 yards. But all you guys remember is when Troy missed a tackle on Ray Rice.

Peter King is full of shit. If his injury proneness and ability to play in the future was such a big factor in his rankings, why is Ed Reed #12? If I'm not mistaken, he missed half the season this year and has a bad nerve in his neck. Makes sense to me.

You guys have short term memory. Do you remember our defense in 2009? Our secondary was so bad half of us were calling for Tomlin's head and the other half were chanting dump Ike/Gay/Clark/Carter. I honestly hope Troy leaves us next year just to see you guys and the media eat crow.

First off, I agree Peter King is a butt faced moron.

That said, I would love to see Troy stay here, but a long term deal for any player no matter how great with the injury history Troy has isn't the best move. All the injuries , from the knee, to concussions, to last years achillles surely would hamper him as he moves on. The market set by the Chargers signing a very average player in Weddle will make it very hard to re-sign Troy. The Steelers have a history or not anteing up for players 10 years or more unless that player will sign at a discount (Bettis). They let the best OL since Webster go (Faneca) , they let the 2nd best DB in Steelers history go after 10 years (Woodson). What makes anyone think Troy will be here much longer ( IMO as great as Troy is, he isn't in Woodsons class). I hope he stays, he is a great player but with his injury history I beleive Troy is nearing the end, Lamaar is just now starting to come into his prime and is being paid market value for his position.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 06:05 PM
The problem with your argument is Troy hasn't shown any sort of dropoff in his play. I have no doubt he'll retire a Steeler.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2011, 06:24 PM
The problem with your argument is Troy hasn't shown any sort of dropoff in his play. I have no doubt he'll retire a Steeler.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts

If you are saying the performance of Polamalu in the 2010 playoffs equaled his performance in the 2008 playoffs or that his performance in 2009 - 2010 did not show "any sort of dropoff" from his performance in 2008 you and I were watching 2 different players wearing #43

:drink:

harrison'samonster
08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
i think Woodley deserved this contract, players are getting more and more money every year. it's only going to get more outrageous. Pretty soon the long snapper's going to be making 10 million a year.

theplatypus
08-06-2011, 07:13 PM

If you are saying the performance of Polamalu in the 2010 playoffs equaled his performance in the 2008 playoffs or that his performance in 2009 - 2010 did not show "any sort of dropoff" from his performance in 2008 you and I were watching 2 different players wearing #43

Is it because his skill set is degrading or nagging injuries? I'm betting/hoping it's just the injuries in 09-10 that dictated a drop off.

DanRooney
08-06-2011, 11:46 PM

Polamalu played horrible in the Cardinals Super Bowl as well. Missed tackles everywhere. But of course you remember his pick 6 in the Baltimore game and believe that was all 3 games of the playoffs. You take the 2010 season as a whole and compare it to the 2008 season. There was no dropoff in Troy.

In 2009, he had an interception in nearly every single game he played in. He was all over the field in the Titans game before Crumpler fell on his leg. I don't even think we lost a game he played in that year.

pete74
08-07-2011, 06:35 AM
i bet we wont try to sign troy before the season starts. the steelers are smart and they want to wait and see how he has healed up. if he gets injured again this year i personally wouldnt sign him to a $10million a year contract. thats to much and will hurt the team if he continues to not play a full season. if he does get injured i can see the steelers letting him walk and another team tossing him an insane amount.

with that said i hope to god troy has another DPOY season and stays healthy all year long. he is one of the greatest steelers of all time and iwould love to see him retire were he started

Atlanta Dan
08-07-2011, 08:51 AM
In 2009, he had an interception in nearly every single game he played in.

But he only played in five of them - it gets back to paying for someone who unfortunately has by now a well developed history of missing games and being slowed by injuries

We simply disagree on Troy

Let's see whether he gets signed or not - it is my wild guess that Bouchette from the P-G has better information on the team than either of us and he has flagged the question of whether Colbert is biting on a long term deal for #43

Steelersfan87
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I see no evidence of him being slowed by injuries when healthy. There's a difference between being slowed by injuries and being injured. The issue is not how injuries affect him, but how he can stay healthy, because he has consistently shown that he is the same player he's always been when healthy.

I see no way in which the Steelers let Polamalu retire in another uniform. They regret letting Rod Woodson walk bad enough, and they've shown more willingness than ever in the past several seasons to retain their own star players, so I see it as a matter of when, not if, that Polamalu gets a new deal.

DanRooney
08-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I may be wrong, but the teams had until this past Thursday (August 4) to get under the cap. All NFL teams complied with that. That was reported yesterday on the NFL network,.

How would they fully comply with that with guys like Cotchery still looking to sign with teams? I'm no salary cap expert but something seems fishy.

pancake
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
If you look forward rather than look back, signing a 26 years old Woodley is a more important signing than resigning a Troy in decline, who has made it through only one out of the past five seasons without missing significant time due to injuries

Troy has been a tremendous talent when healthy but as Troy heads into his 9th season IMO it would be a big risk to pay him what will be the market rate for the top safety in the league with a new contract going forward - this exchange with Ed.B. of the P-G today indicates the Steelers front office may agree

READER: I love Troy P as much as anyone and fully understand his value to the Steeler D. However, I do not think the Steelers should pay an injury prone safety $10 million per year to possibly play 10 games. If I was in charge, I would sign Timmons first, have Troy play this year and franchise him next year after we see if he can stay healthy for 16 games.

BOUCHETTE: I did not know Kevin Colbert was a Plus member who sent me his thoughts. Not Kevin? You may be thinking alike.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

If Polamalu does not get a new deal it will be because his time is passing, not because of the Woodley signing

It would be much easier to sign Troy this year than Timmons. Troy has a big cap # and signing him would lower his # this year. Timmons has a low cap # and it will be a lot bigger if he signs first...

pete74
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
post gazzett had an article about who will sign first and they thought timmons. this is troy's 3rd contract and will be a big one. timmons is the future of the team, troy will be 31 next season.

Atlanta Dan
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
It would be much easier to sign Troy this year than Timmons. Troy has a big cap # and signing him would lower his # this year. Timmons has a low cap # and it will be a lot bigger if he signs first...

But the Steelers made the cap for this year - it is more a question of how to spread the $$ around for 2012

pancake
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
But the Steelers made the cap for this year - it is more a question of how to spread the $$ around for 2012

Of course all of this is my opinion, but I think it's more of trying to get two key components locked down. I think it would be cheaper to sign them now, prices will be higher next year. At least I assume...

Lord of Lombardi
08-09-2011, 11:42 PM

Bro-You say that Woodley was overpaid and in your last breath here you say Timmons will demand $9 mil per year or more? Now you're talking overpaid! Timmons has so much talent but name me two consecutive years that Timmons has strung together? You can't. I know, I know, he has all the talent. And Woodley is not a drop back LB so if you are looking for him to be one, Go Long!

Keep in mind that Woodley was not a LB in college and after a few years transitioning, I'd say he is doing pretty damn good with his one move. It took Timmons what? his first few years to get on the field consistently. Harrison and Woodley are the best "book ends" in football and they allow Troy and other LB's to roam. Don't chalk it up to athleticism and be done with it.

But you're learning so keep it up.