PDA

View Full Version : Can Suisham Be Relied Upon This Year?

3rdandlong
08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I am very pleased with the guys we got in the draft. We look to be another legitimate Super Bowl contender. However, can we rely on Suisham for the crucial kicks needed to win games this season?
Suisham played above expectations last year, but I have my doubts as to whether he can reproduce that this year. If not, he could end up being our Achilee's heal. Your thoughts...

Rick5895
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
I am very pleased with the guys we got in the draft. We look to be another legitimate Super Bowl contender. However, can we rely on Suisham for the crucial kicks needed to win games this season?
Suisham played above expectations last year, but I have my doubts as to whether he can reproduce that this year. If not, he could end up being our Achilee's heal. Your thoughts...
I am of the same thought, will he be as good this year. Suishams history says he will be ok this year with a tail off coming towards the end or next season. he seems to kick well for new teams then struggle.
Let's hope he breaks that trend this year.

MDSteel15
08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
What choice is there? Do we have another kicker in camp? :noidea:

BIGNASTY91
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
with my wife and her family being skins fans i got to see alot of him before he came here. i might eat my words, but i was glad we signed him. Kickers are of a whole different breed than any other player. They can be the worst there is, and then BAM they are great again. I know near the end in washington he was not happy, hearing him talk he is happy with the steelers and that makes the world of difference to a kicker. I think he will be spot on for us now that he feels he has found a place to call home!!! :hope:

kirklandrules
08-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Heinz field is a tough place to be a kicker and he certainly kicked well last year. Not only in the FG department, but his kickoffs were 5-10 deeper than his predecessor. I expect him to be good again this year. Besides, he didn't become a tough guy by slapping around a paper towel dispenser and mouthing off to the cops in front of his drunken parents. No, he just won over his teammates on the field and in the locker room.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Don't forget that kickoffs are from the 35 now, so that is no longer as high a priority for the Steelers (which is good for Suisham since his kicks usually ended up between 3 yards in front of or inside the endzone).

wyn50
08-05-2011, 08:15 PM
i would get insurance and get an UFA kicker or anyone just in case things go awry....literally :wave:

3rdandlong
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't forget that kickoffs are from the 35 now, so that is no longer as high a priority for the Steelers (which is good for Suisham since his kicks usually ended up between 3 yards in front of or inside the endzone).

Good point! Why is the NFL starting kicks from the 35 now? They don't want as many returns?

Steelersfan87
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah, their logic is less returns = less chance of injury. The change was cited as a player health decision.

xli...
08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
He has stated that he doesn't like the pressure situations. He best perform.

solardave
08-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Good point! Why is the NFL starting kicks from the 35 now? They don't want as many returns?

It's all about the safety of the game. WINK WINK!!!

55BaileyFan
08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Don't forget Swayze...I've seen him a few times and he has a cannon. I don't think that Suisham can be relied on...we need someone who can kick 50 yarders.

kirklandrules
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Don't forget Swayze...I've seen him a few times and he has a cannon. I don't think that Suisham can be relied on...we need someone who can kick 50 yarders.

You need someone who can kick at Heinz and most of those kicks will be inside of 50 yards. Suisham did a pretty good job kicking in crap conditions last year.

pancake
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
You need someone who can kick at Heinz and most of those kicks will be inside of 50 yards. Suisham did a pretty good job kicking in crap conditions last year.

I'm with you on this one...

ben2hines=6
08-08-2011, 10:04 PM
suisham isnt the answer here guys. this guy is a choke artest. i hope to god he kicks well in heinze but i just cant see it happening

DanRooney
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
suisham isnt the answer here guys. this guy is a choke artest. i hope to god he kicks well in heinze but i just cant see it happening

Are you saying he chokes people like Ron Artest?

Steelers_2231
08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Kickers + adverse conditions + the pucker factor = I always worry

kirklandrules
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM

So you must have missed the second half of last season? He was 14 of 15 during the regular season. I guess kicking 93.3% isn't good enough and that one miss is a choke. Or maybe it was the 52 yarder in the SB that has people questioning this guy. A kick like that is a coin toss at best. How many 50+ yarders have been made in SB history?

Gosh, what does this guy have to do to make people think he's worth keep this year? 14 of 15 at Heinz as well as having a very good attitude in the locker room gives him the chance in my book. At least see if he sh!ts the bed in preseason before calling for the hook on him.

GMU Steeler
08-10-2011, 12:12 PM
For now sure. He did a good job when asked upon last year and unlike Reed he's not going to get himself in trouble off the field too.

ebsteelers
08-11-2011, 10:35 AM
So you must have missed the second half of last season? He was 14 of 15 during the regular season. I guess kicking 93.3% isn't good enough and that one miss is a choke. Or maybe it was the 52 yarder in the SB that has people questioning this guy. A kick like that is a coin toss at best. How many 50+ yarders have been made in SB history?

Gosh, what does this guy have to do to make people think he's worth keep this year? 14 of 15 at Heinz as well as having a very good attitude in the locker room gives him the chance in my book. At least see if he sh!ts the bed in preseason before calling for the hook on him.

:tt:

well said...
did he miss 2 kicks versus baltimore or one?

non of the kicks he missed were easy , and hes a vet.. rather him then somer rookie from boonetown state

and the super bowl that was silly on the part of the coaching staff, everyone know he doesnt have the league for a kick that far.

Farrior_roirraW
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
:tt:

well said...
did he miss 2 kicks versus baltimore or one?

non of the kicks he missed were easy , and hes a vet.. rather him then somer rookie from boonetown state

and the super bowl that was silly on the part of the coaching staff, everyone know he doesnt have the league for a kick that far.

Yeah he missed one against Baltimore in the playoffs. And the one in the regular season was the blowout against the Panthers.

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
As long as another dumb coaching decision doesn't force him into attempting a 53 yard FG, I think he'll be great. No one should get on him for that SB miss........if he could make kicks that far, some other team would've signed him long ago, and we got what we paid for......unlike some of our coaching.

ben2hines=6
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
listen im not saying he did bad last year, just saying the guys track record isnt something ANYONE should be confident about. this guy kicks a low ball and he chokes, plain and simple.

BIGNASTY91
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
listen im not saying he did bad last year, just saying the guys track record isnt something ANYONE should be confident about. this guy kicks a low ball and he chokes, plain and simple.

We'll that's why we play the game! Hell the whole team might Choke? Wait and see what he can do this year! :tt03:

Phillykeith
08-14-2011, 01:30 AM
I was pretty skeptical of this guy when we initially signed him last season but I will give him his due - He was a pretty F'N solid kicker down the stretch- especially after putting up with Jeff Reed for the first half.

Can't hate on the guy for missing that bomb in the Super Bowl. He shouldn't have been out there in the first place and also that is just flat out of his range that was already known!

With that said - living in Philly I have been force fed my share of watching Cowboys and Redskins games when they play the Birds over the years. Suisham has been terrible in the past. He very well could go back to his old ways of shanking 23 yarders. Have someone else on speed dial.

wyn50
08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
can he kick it in the end zone from the 35?

Steelersfan87
08-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, he had a touchback and a kick that went 8 yards deep returned on two attempts.

rich4eagle
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Does he wavie at people returning kicks.....if not he is an upgrade over the buffoon let go Reed:tt04::tt04: