PDA

View Full Version : Steelers court former Jets WR Cotchery

StainlessStill
08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750462.html

A week after wooing Plaxico Burress, the Steelers are meeting with another free agent wide receiver.

Jerricho Cotchery, an eight-year NFL veteran, is visiting the Steelers today at St. Vincent. Cotchery had been with the New York Jets since 2004 but the 6-foot, 207-pounder became expendable, ironically enough, after the Jets signed Burress.

Cotchery, 29, underwent back surgery during the offseason after catching 41 passes for 433 yards and two touchdowns in 2010.

His best season came in 2007 when Cotchery caught 82 passes for 1,130 yards and two touchdowns.

Read more: Steelers court former Jets wide receiver Cotchery - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750462.html#ixzz1UNGgDcp5

Maybe this could give us some security since injuries are amounting on the Steelers, especially from the offensive line and the wideouts forefront. Eager to see if we can land someone who can come in and have an immediate impact on our football team to give us insurance at any position, especially o-line or WR. If we land a talent like Cotchery, then Limas Sweed's time is up and will become the biggest bust of this decade not named Alonzo Jackson.

Rick5895
08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Lee Evans is also available, however, unless Sanders cant go at all I would rather keep a young player on the roster than cut one to siogn a middle of the road veteran.

tanda10506
08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
It would be nice to have another good receiver, I just don't see it being Cotchery. He does play well though, and if we have the money to get him then it couldn't hurt trying him out. I rather see Sanders and Brown I think, I just don't see him making that big of an impact. His numbers are good, just doesn't seem like a fit here.

Kingmagyar
08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Cotchery is a stocky muscular receiver that does not go down very easy after the catch. Youtube has some nice highlights of his career with the Jets. I assume with his body type he would be a good blocker. He makes the spectacular catch at times as well. Well liked by Jets fans and teammates, he may have lost his job simply because the Jets lucked into Santonio Holmes. He would win some ballgames for us this year, but the development of Sanders and Brown would be delayed.

We won't sign him anyway. Better deals for him will be out there. He was due over 4 million this year.

LambertIsGod58
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I say sign Terrell Owens for the vet minimum

Sixburgher
08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Sure, let's pay him to spend all season rehabbing his ACL, assuming he'll even be able to come back at all.

Shane Oliver
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM

HELL. NO.

Fire Arians
08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Cotchery is a stocky muscular receiver that does not go down very easy after the catch. Youtube has some nice highlights of his career with the Jets. I assume with his body type he would be a good blocker. He makes the spectacular catch at times as well. Well liked by Jets fans and teammates, he may have lost his job simply because the Jets lucked into Santonio Holmes. He would win some ballgames for us this year, but the development of Sanders and Brown would be delayed.

We won't sign him anyway. Better deals for him will be out there. He was due over 4 million this year.

i agree, while i wouldn't totally dislike signing this guy, i more so would like to see sanders / brown on the field

thumper
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
It's a security blanket move. If Sanders and Brown are healthy, they make
the team and this guy is cut (if they sign him to begin with).

He's not overly big (6', 200 lbs) or overly fast (4.5+ forty) and his stats
are dwindling at this point, going from catches in the 80s a few years
ago (2006, 2007) to 41 last year for a 10 ypc avg. He would be signed purely as
depth in case on of our young guys can't stay healthy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5633/jerricho-cotchery

But this _does_show you the staff is at least a little concerned about Sander's chances
of getting healthy. Also, this clearly shows a lack of faith in Sweed. Remember when
some of you were claiming this was going to be Sweed's year?

thumper
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM

DEAR GOD HELLZ TO THE NOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

pancake
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Last thing we need is a cancer in the lockerroom.

pancake
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
IDK if I would really like this if we signed him, but I wouldn't hate it either...

ebsteelers
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
i'd rather randy moss, then T.o. and we all know that aint happening...

would rather a vet db then anything else

pancake
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
i'd rather randy moss, then T.o. and we all know that aint happening...

would rather a vet db then anything else

I'm with you, that would be a dangerous 3rd down package with Moss, Wallace, Sanders and Brown and/or Ward, but no way Steelers bring in a head case like him.

truesteelerfan
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Can the guy tackle? I'd rather have some more depth at CB than WR...

Wallace17
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Would love a cb. Maybe talib if still avail. If taking a WR , why go after jericho? Would rather have moss or T.O., Ben needs a tall decent guy to throw too.

55BaileyFan
08-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I think we have enough WR. I think we have a great core and some really good young guys that could make an impact...don't understand this more, more, more mentality.

tanda10506
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Anybody who is saying we should sign Moss or Owens doesn't know what the Steelers are all about. We've had some players recently that were already on our team who made some mistakes, or alleged mistakes, but the Steelers do not go out and get "problems". Owens is done and Moss' work ethic and behavior would be a disgrace to the Steelers.

fer522
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
don't forget that Moss went from 42 catche for 553 yards with the raiders to
98 catches for 1493 yards with the patriots and i dont think he had any problems while he was there
but i still believe we need a good corner more than we need a WR

cloppbeast
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM

I appreciate you thinking outside the box and all, but I think you took it a little too far outside of the box.

cloppbeast
08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Would love a cb. Maybe talib if still avail. If taking a WR , why go after jericho? Would rather have moss or T.O., Ben needs a tall decent guy to throw too.

We have our deep threats in Wallace and Sanders (possibly Sweed). We don't need anybody else to go over the top. With Randel El gone and Hines beat up/over the hill, the Steelers need a possession receiver. Jericho fits that mold. He's a better fit for the Steelers.

SoCalFan
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Hines is not beat up or over the hill...But I agree on Cochery helping us out as ANOTHER possesion reciever....Him and Ward would be a nice package on 3rd & longs...

Third Rail
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I think we should have signed Cotchery. Oh, well.

thumper
08-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I think we should have signed Cotchery. Oh, well.

He might have wanted more than league minimum, which is a big
PASS with the Rooneys

theplatypus
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
He might have wanted more than league minimum, which is a big
PASS with the Rooneys

More FUD from thumper

Rick5895
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Coxchery is a middle of the road WR who would command decent money. IMO it is better to spend less and develop younger players with the same skill set as Cotchery than pay too much.

austinfrench76
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I read that the problem is that he doesn't want buried on the depth chart. He knows we have Hines and Wallace and then several young studs behind them. He would probably love to come play for the best organization in team sports but he also probably thinks he's a starter and he wouldn't be here. He starts immediately for the Ratbirds.

Mordax
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Looks like we signed him:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/43213/steelers-add-insurance-with-wr-cotchery