PDA

View Full Version : Steelers seek to reach long-term deal with Polamalu

fer522
08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers would like to keep Troy Polamalu in the black and gold for years to come, and for the star safety, the feeling is mutual.

With a new contract in the books for linebacker LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers' front office hopes to strike a long-term pact with Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Saturday.

Polamalu is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season at the end of a five-year, $33 million contract he signed in 2007. That deal made him the league's highest-paid safety at the time.

"My only comment is, because I know things can really get misconstrued a lot, is that everything regarding our contract talks will stay between the Rooneys and my agent (Marvin Demoff)," Polamalu said. "Other than that, I would love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Demoff told the Tribune-Review in July that he expected the team to take action.

"The Steelers always have done this sort of thing the year before a contract is up," Demoff said.

Polamalu spent the offseason rehabilitating an Achilles' tendon injury in Los Angeles. The three-time All-Pro has played a full, 16-game schedule in just four of his eight seasons because of his physical style of play. He has missed 13 regular-season games the last three seasons but still has 17 interceptions and 35 passes defended.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8214ac5d/article/report-steelers-seek-to-reach-longterm-deal-with-polamalu?module=HP11_headline_stack

tanda10506
08-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I figured they would want to see if he could stay healthy first. Good news though, as long as he's on the field, he makes the defense. I've never seen player make such an impact on defense when he goes out.

steeltheone
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Gonna have to get rid of many Vets next year to secure TP43

Steelers17
08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I figured they would want to see if he could stay healthy first. Good news though, as long as he's on the field, he makes the defense. I've never seen player make such an impact on defense when he goes out.

The Steelers are expert at knowing when the gig is up and are anything other than a non-profit charitable entity. Additionally, overcoming an Achilles injury is simply brutal.

Not a positive perspective at all.

steeltheone
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
The Steelers are expert at knowing when the gig is up and are anything other than a non-profit charitable entity. Additionally, overcoming an Achilles injury is simply brutal.

Not a positive perspective at all.

The gig has been up for many of our vets....No replacements

pancake
08-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm betting that Troy gets a new deal before the season starts. I hope Timmons too, but we will see...

Fire Arians
08-08-2011, 01:40 AM
we have no choice but to sign him, who else can take his spot? nobody on our roster is ready to fill in as a long-term fix and we didn't draft a safety. i was hoping we'd land robert sands because we will probably have to find a replacement for troy in a few years

solardave
08-08-2011, 01:52 AM
we have no choice but to sign him, who else can take his spot? nobody on our roster is ready to fill in as a long-term fix and we didn't draft a safety. i was hoping we'd land robert sands because we will probably have to find a replacement for troy in a few years

Next year we'll find his replacement.

Kingmagyar
08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
It would be a very bad mistake to sign Troy now. He still is not 100% and that achilles could totally rip at any moment. The best strategy for Troy is to Franchise him next year after you see him get through this season. The franchise tag for a safety would be I believe the top 5 salaries of Safeties in the league and considering how much Troy would get in a contract, the Steelers would pay him less per year as the franchise player. If he shows to be totally healed sign him next year to a long term deal. No need to do it now with that Franchise option next year. Save the over 20 million you will need in a signing bonus this year.

The Franchise tag for Timmons however would be over 10 million. Sign Timmons this year and Franchise Troy next year then try to work a deal based off that. and you could Franchise him the next two years if needed.

meanfish
08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Next year we'll find his replacement.

As much as I'd like to believe that, you don't just replace Troy. He's a freak! If I remember correctly we had to move up in the first round to get him and that was after he dropped due to concussion concerns??

He's special and when the time comes we'll just have to get someone that can play.

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
This from Ed.B. of the P-G in his chat today

Ed, don't you have to question the wisdom of giving an aging Polamalu any kind of big money extension at this point?

Aging? He's 30, not 40. However, I agree with you. I would tread carefully there. There was a report that they were targeting him next and that's just not true. They had not yet decided after taking a break and pursuing some wide receivers and tight ends. Here's what I would do. Let him play this season, see how he is. Try to sign him after the season. If you cannot come to a reasonable agreement on a number, make him the franchise player -- which actually would be cheaper than signing him. That way, you have him for the next two years. Now he's 32, then what? Worry about it then, or plan for the future without him.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/ed-bouchettes-chat

I agree with Ed

thumper
08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
This from Ed.B. of the P-G in his chat today

Ed, don't you have to question the wisdom of giving an aging Polamalu any kind of big money extension at this point?

Aging? He's 30, not 40. However, I agree with you. I would tread carefully there. There was a report that they were targeting him next and that's just not true. They had not yet decided after taking a break and pursuing some wide receivers and tight ends. Here's what I would do. Let him play this season, see how he is. Try to sign him after the season. If you cannot come to a reasonable agreement on a number, make him the franchise player -- which actually would be cheaper than signing him. That way, you have him for the next two years. Now he's 32, then what? Worry about it then, or plan for the future without him.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/ed-bouchettes-chat

I agree with Ed

:thumbsup:

Steelers_2231
08-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Weddle getting 5 years / $40 milion in San Diego doesn't help.

OX1947
08-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Weddle getting 5 years / $40 milion in San Diego doesn't help.

You know with all the constant (bleep) rules and regulations and fines and suspensions and testing and Goodell, and Goodell and testing, and rules, and regulating and discipline that seem to following every (bleep) article, story after the acronym NFL, maybe what would help a little is stop allowing team to draw up 89 year 400 billion dollar contracts that actually mean 1 year, 8 million guaranteed. Unless Weddle is an all pro for the next 5 years, he isn't seeing 40 million to save his life in those 5 years. He will either be cut or asked to restructure to prolong it.

Phillykeith
08-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Troy will retire as a Steeler. The Steelers are too good of an organization to let Troy walk (or show him the door). They ain't the Eagles ya know!!!!

FastNBulbous
08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Ask Rod Woodson what his opinion is on that.

finesward
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
:thumbsup:

So you agree with what the Rooneys are doing?

Ummmm, that sounds pretty dumb. Have they not noticed the
guy can't stay healthy, and they are racing to give him a new
deal early? Why not let him prove he can stay healthy before you
race to give him another huge deal. Think, Rooneys, think.

Gosh, those stupid Rooneys...don't they know better than to rush singing troy polamalu??

There was a report that they were targeting him next and that's just not true. They had not yet decided after taking a break and pursuing some wide receivers and tight ends.

Hmmm...not so stupid are they dumper? But yeah, keep questioning their every move. If it makes you feel better about yourself then :chuckle:

Kingmagyar
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Once again the solution is simple. Franchise Troy, because the average salary of the top 5 Safeties is still less then you would have to pay him per year and Timmons Franchise tag is more then you want to pay him per year. The simple, and safe solution.